Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Aussie Trialist

To be honest, this sounds like a "panic trial" to me. Wonder who gave Levein the hint to get him...

The Aussie Connection? lol

Not really a panic considering we made enquiries/tried to sign him in August, more like confirmation that he fits in etc.

From what I gather this lad scored alot of goals as a striker when he was playing in Australia I think I read he got 48 in 100 odd games and then since he's come to Switzerland he's been turfed out to the right wing mainly and has lost confidence, that's been said on that weird website of his.

If we do sign him, he will of impressed Levein somewhat with the trial he's undergoing and we should give the lad a chance. I know Australia's international team isn't the greatest but the fact he's been in their squad a few times means he's fairly talented as there's some decent Australian footballers out there that haven't been given international recognition.

I still feel we need an out and out striker and perhaps a utility player who plays either upfront or on the wing that can chip in with a few goals like McCulloch did for Wigan last season.

I wonder whether this lad was the striker from europe we were meant to be signing last summer? Does all add up now, especially as he was set to sign but his club wanted silly buggers for him.

Well I think he could possibly be a good player for us, although im not entirely sure where hes going to fit in, I've herd some good thing about him. I have a feeling he could be a possible replacement for williams, I've heard rumours that City are going offer 250,000 plus Robbie Fowler on a 3month wage free loan deal. ( well its more likely then the 2mil rumour that was on here!!)

I don't feel any excitement building about this one.

of course you dont he's over 25.

More Info:

Leicester City have handed a trial to Australian midfielder Joel Griffiths.

Foxes boss Craig Levein originally tried to sign the 26-year-old in the summer but the move broke down when his club Neuchatel Xamax demanded a fee of £450,000.

He is now a free agent and is hoping to earn a contract that will boost his chances of featuring in the Socceroos' World Cup campaign next summer.

Griffiths started his career as a striker but was converted to a wide midfielder during his three years in Switzerland.

He made a scoring debut for Australia in the 5-0 win against Jamaica in October.

I know Australia's international team isn't the greatest...

And it isn't the worst either RF, they have just qualified for the World Cup and not so long ago they bent England over and rogered them good style at Upton Park.

Sadly our view of Aussies isn't great - Spider Kalac, Danny Tiatto and to some Paddy K.

I wonder if Wesolowski will get a summer call up if he performs for us on his return???

And it isn't the worst either RF, they have just qualified for the World Cup and not so long ago they bent England over and rogered them good style at Upton Park.

Sadly our view of Aussies isn't great - Spider Kalac, Danny Tiatto and to some Paddy K.

I wonder if Wesolowski will get a summer call up if he performs for us on his return???

I know! I was saying it wasn't the greatest to cover myself if somebody got on their high horse and said that just because a player had been in an international squad a few times doesn't mean they are a good player! I personally like the sound of this lad and if he does sign atleast Levein has seen him in action and obviously likes what he has seen.

I asked someone off another forum who lives in Switzerland what they knew about this trialists and they said this.

Don't know that much about him really, saw him a couple of times last season when Xamax played Aarau. Never impressed me to be honest. He hasn't played much this season, but I can't tell you the reasons behind it.

Scored 2 goals in 29 games last season and came from Newcastle Utd ... in Australia. I wouldn't buy him if I were you.

Just thought I'd share that person's view with you all.

I wonder whether this lad was the striker from europe we were meant to be signing last summer? Does all add up now, especially as he was set to sign but his club wanted silly buggers for him.

Yep, he was, at the time it was being reported in the local Aussie papers, I was going to post about it then, but I was too damn lazy.

Anyway, I haven't seem him play too much in recent times, except for his national team debut, when he came on as a sub against Jamaica. He didn't seem quite at the same level as the rest of the team with a few bad touches but I guess that could come down to nerves.

From my vagueish memories of him from the Australian national league, he was quite a good finisher and was pretty quick too, so he might be fairly decent at the Championship level.

Leicester City - Boss rates trialist

15 Dec 2005 14:57

Leicester City boss Craig Levein says he is impressed so far with what he has seen of Australian trialist Joel Griffiths.

The Neuchatel Xamax midfielder joined the Foxes on trial earlier in the week and scored the only goal of the game in a behind-closed-doors friendly against Boston United on Wednesday.

Levein said: "He did well and looks a good player, very fast and can play on the wing as well as midfield.

"This could be important as Momo Sylla is going to be away on African Cup duty soon and we are short of cover.

"Joel is out of contract in the summer and might be the answer, but I have yet to make up my mind."

Well at least now we now he can score :)

Archived