Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Dean Shiels (Hibs) to have eye removed

To be able to play at quite a high level with sight out of just one eye is remarkable, I'm sure having it removed won't make much difference.

How can he play with no depth perception? :o

If he could see out of both he'd probably be amazing!

Good luck to him. It's a great achievement to overcome such a disability and play at that high of a level. It's unfortunate that he's got to have an eye removed but I wish him the best of luck and he seems brave enough to handle this.

Re: depth perception, I have either little or no depth perception--I've always had strabismus in my right eye and my left eye is dominant. Luckily, my right eye is very strong considering the disorder but it doesn't feature in my vision besides at the extreme right of my vision field.

I've played sports for my whole life with poor/no depth perception. I can't really explain how I compensate for lack of depth perception--instinct, memory, a "feel" for how players and the ball move, comparing relative location of objects on the field, etc. I even played goalkeeper in soccer for a year when I was 17 and can only remember one howler that may have happened as a result of my vision; I strayed off my line and watched a looping shot from 35 yards out fly over my head and into the net... though I've seen goalkeepers at the highest level who surely have good binocular vision make similar blunders, so I don't feel all that bad. ;)

...but Shields has played sports his whole life without peripheral vision on one side. That is what really impresses me about his football career. Think of how many times you're playing and you think you've got space, but you see a defender coming from the corner of your eye and adjust your play... well, nevermind that, everyday things like crossing the street are much more difficult and dangerous without peripheral vision.

Good luck to him. It's a great achievement to overcome such a disability and play at that high of a level. It's unfortunate that he's got to have an eye removed but I wish him the best of luck and he seems brave enough to handle this.

Re: depth perception, I have either little or no depth perception--I've always had strabismus in my right eye and my left eye is dominant. Luckily, my right eye is very strong considering the disorder but it doesn't feature in my vision besides at the extreme right of my vision field.

I've played sports for my whole life with poor/no depth perception. I can't really explain how I compensate for lack of depth perception--instinct, memory, a "feel" for how players and the ball move, comparing relative location of objects on the field, etc. I even played goalkeeper in Soccer for a year when I was 17 and can only remember one howler that may have happened as a result of my vision; I strayed off my line and watched a looping shot from 35 yards out fly over my head and into the net... though I've seen goalkeepers at the highest level who surely have good binocular vision make similar blunders, so I don't feel all that bad. ;)

...but Shields has played sports his whole life without peripheral vision on one side. That is what really impresses me about his football career. Think of how many times you're playing and you think you've got space, but you see a defender coming from the corner of your eye and adjust your play... well, nevermind that, everyday things like crossing the street are much more difficult and dangerous without peripheral vision.

In what!? :whistle::smile:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived