Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Southampton Match Thread

Today, I was proud of the lads, they showed much more commitment, drive and passion today, than I've seen in the past weeks put together. They worked so tremendously hard, sticking challenges in, and for the first time in ages, I felt that we could actually win the game today.

Well done lads, and to the tossers who booed them at the end of the game, what do you think you are doing.

Tossers that booed? Commitment??? We lost the ball all the time... knocked it about then HOOF and lost it. Very scrappy, dull atmosphere... same result. We didnt even have a shot on target from what i saw.

Your saying there was not a single piece of commitment out there, I'd like to know what game you were watching.

I was propbally watching the southampton v leicester match at the walkers stadium, which apparently had a lot of commitment and alot of tossers who booed for no reason at all after watching their team produce one goal scoring opportunity (elvis'). Was you in the west stand by any chance? One of those fans that never stop singing and cheering on their team no matter what :whistle::whistle:

We weren't creative enough up front, and seemed afriad to shoot. That, in my opinion, was the main problem today. Hume played well, good to see some aggresion in the side, we need more of that.

Plus, did no-one want to score? The number of times Ryan Smith, De Vries/Hammond and the ball to cross it in and there was no-one there was unbelievable!

Today, I was proud of the lads, they showed much more commitment, drive and passion today, than I've seen in the past weeks put together. They worked so tremendously hard, sticking challenges in, and for the first time in ages, I felt that we could actually win the game today.

Well done lads, and to the tossers who booed them at the end of the game, what do you think you are doing.

I agree - they worked very hard and didn't deserve any booing at the end. It was one mistake by Gerrbrand that cost us the game, and I couldn't fault their effort today.

Feel sorry for maybury, he had the confidence to keep trying and was one of the only midfielders that went running into the box to support any hold up play, however his final ball/touch either resembled a donkey or was just very poor indeed. I think he, hammond and smith are the only few i could find real criticism with. For a team in the chapionship relegation zone, we played better than i had expected

Boring game though, got a lot to say but will prob reflect on my thoughts tomorrow instead of going off on one now.

I was not impressed with Smith today, quality crosses, but god talk about shootaphobia

Exactly. Smith got in good positions on a number of occasions but passed instead of shooting. It was infuriating. Smith was disappointing today, but I was equally unimpressed by Maybury. To me, he's been poor all season and was so again today. Didn't maintain his width, didn't get close enough to his man, and in the first half he let one of their players run straight past him to leave Stearman 2v1.

I was propbally watching the southampton v leicester match at the walkers stadium, which apparently had a lot of commitment and alot of tossers who booed for no reason at all after watching their team produce one goal scoring opportunity (elvis'). Was you in the west stand by any chance? One of those fans that never stop singing and cheering on their team no matter what :whistle::whistle:

To be fair, the chance that McCarthy/Stearman had in the first half was a golden chance. Both going for the same ball, with acres of space and no defenders, enough time to bring it under control - but McCarthy heads over when Stearman was better placed.

We were

disjointed

leaderless

clueless

gutless

no ambition. no skill. no inventiveness and had only one shot on target which should have been scored.

smith was nothing short of a disgrace. maybe he's not fit but several times he just seemd to give up and never took his man on. his push on an opponent when theoretically chasing the ball was nothing short of petulant. Hughes is too lightweight for a relegation fight. Hume was totally ineffective in the first half and when De vries came on all we did as usual was hump the ball aimlessly in the air somewhere near him. defensively ok until the end but then we were playing one of the worst sides i have seen for a long time. they offered even less than us and yet we still couldn't beat them or even manage a draw. maybury and stearman did ok but the rest were poor. 7 straight defeats only 4 goals scored (1 a penalty) no clean sheets. at this rate we wont win another game this season.

I agree - they worked very hard and didn't deserve any booing at the end. It was one mistake by Gerrbrand that cost us the game, and I couldn't fault their effort today.

Exactly. Smith got in good positions on a number of occasions but passed instead of shooting. It was infuriating. Smith was disappointing today, but I was equally unimpressed by Maybury. To me, he's been poor all season and was so again today. Didn't maintain his width, didn't get close enough to his man, and in the first half he let one of their players run straight past him to leave Stearman 2v1.

To be fair, the chance that McCarthy/Stearman had in the first half was a golden chance. Both going for the same ball, with acres of space and no defenders, enough time to bring it under control - but McCarthy heads over when Stearman was better placed.

That McCarthy chance should have been left to Elvis who was ready to bring it down.

I sit in the Kop ill have you know mate, F2 Row Z Seat 10 (1 point wrong)

In F2/F1 there were people who booed the lads after the game (2 points wrong)

You say there was no commitment, how about McCarthy, Johansson and Stearman, constantly throwing themselves at the ball (3 points wrong)

I do cheer my team on no matter what, I have been a fan ever since I was 5 and haven't stopped since, thankyou very much.

We were

disjointed

leaderless

clueless

gutless

no ambition. no skill. no inventiveness and had only one shot on target which should have been scored.

smith was nothing short of a disgrace. maybe he's not fit but several times he just seemd to give up and never took his man on. his push on an opponent when theoretically chasing the ball was nothing short of petulant. Hughes is too lightweight for a relegation fight. Hume was totally ineffective in the first half and when De vries came on all we did as usual was hump the ball aimlessly in the air somewhere near him. defensively ok until the end but then we were playing one of the worst sides i have seen for a long time. they offered even less than us and yet we still couldn't beat them or even manage a draw. maybury and stearman did ok but the rest were poor. 7 straight defeats only 4 goals scored (1 a penalty) no clean sheets. at this rate we wont win another game this season.

You had a good day then :D

I sit in the Kop ill have you know mate, F2 Row Z Seat 10 (1 point wrong)

In F2/F1 there were people who booed the lads after the game (2 points wrong)

You say there was no commitment, how about McCarthy, Johansson and Stearman, constantly throwing themselves at the ball (3 points wrong)

I do cheer my team on no matter what, I have been a fan ever since I was 5 and haven't stopped since, thankyou very much.

Hold on - when did i say there wasnt any commitment?

Let's not piss about, we were rubbish. Not one of the players deserved to be on the pitch. What a waste of money. Our only hope is to somehow bring in a manager who can work a miracle and instill some kind of discipline into the side. 'cos on this basis the only place we're going is down. Forget going out of the FA Cup, it's not important. What mattered was the disgraceful apology for football and the manner in which we lost. It wasn't even a 'wonder goal' for pity's sake. Shameful.

Tossers that booed? Commitment??? We lost the ball all the time... knocked it about then HOOF and lost it. Very scrappy, dull atmosphere... same result. We didnt even have a shot on target from what i saw.

Right there.

1) You questioned me saying there was commitment

2) Telling me that the game you saw had none (as this comment was in jest)

Let's not piss about, we were rubbish. Not one of the players deserved to be on the pitch. What a waste of money. Our only hope is to somehow bring in a manager who can work a miracle and instill some kind of discipline into the side. 'cos on this basis the only place we're going is down. Forget going out of the FA Cup, it's not important. What mattered was the disgraceful apology for football and the manner in which we lost. It wasn't even a 'wonder goal' for pity's sake. Shameful.

Crap! Hold the press! LEVEIN WAS RIGHT!

He said we can't lose to a wonder goal every week... how ironic that this should be proven should one game after his demise.

I bet he's laughing all the way to the bank with his last paycheque...

We were

disjointed

leaderless

clueless

gutless

YOU are all of theses

personally we played ok - about a 6/10 and didn't desevre to loose :( . Douglas and Gerrbrand let us down at the end :( there but many of our own fans let us down as well, there was a small group of around 50 towards the back in E1 and the few in block J that got behind our team. <_< I stood all of the game, I sang all of the game ( well apart from the last 5 mins of the 1st half when the whole staduim was quite :rolleyes: ), i saw how pathetic a lot of the support is, true you watch, but why watch when you don't get behind the team, and then you boo at the final whitsle! WHY? :ermm: There's no point in going if you dont get behind your team, youre not watching great fooatball i'll tell you that! :unsure:

CHeers

CHunx

YOU are all of theses

personally we played ok - about a 6/10 and didn't desevre to loose :( . Douglas and Gerrbrand let us down at the end :( there but many of our own fans let us down as well, there was a small group of around 50 towards the back in E1 and the few in block J that got behind our team. <_< I stood all of the game, I sang all of the game ( well apart from the last 5 mins of the 1st half when the whole staduim was quite :rolleyes: ), i saw how pathetic a lot of the support is, true you watch, but why watch when you don't get behind the team, and then you boo at the final whitsle! WHY? :ermm: There's no point in going if you dont get behind your team, youre not watching great fooatball i'll tell you that! :unsure:

CHeers

CHunx

well lets be honest, he did say we...

I thought we fell apart when De Vries came on :blink:

YOU are all of theses

CHeers

CHunx

You may not agree with what I said but imo we were pathetic. In over 30 years of following city that was one of the most abject performances I have seen. 4th round of the cup playing at home against a side on nearly as bad a run as us and we looked like we couldn't be arsed for much of the game. yes the support was not exactly enthusiastic but then neither were some of the players. how many shots did we manage in the first half? 2 on target in the whole match. It's just not good enough. if any of us performed so badly week in week out in our own jobs we would be sacked!

Archived