Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
newms

Newell "Never offered job"

"I want to make it clear that I was never offered any job nor was a contract ever discussed so there was never a decision to make. The only decision I have had to make is the decision that I want to stay with Luton Town."

From Mr Mike Newell

So just how long does it take the board to offer someone the job or do they take Kelly seriously as a contender and giving him time so he can make up their mind for them.

Mike Newells View

Newell - Why I Stay

Mike gives the reasons behind his decision

Announcement

Mike Newell still relishes the job ahead of him at Luton Town. He has told www.lutontown.co.uk , the club’s official website, that he never had any intentions of leaving the Hatters to take up the reins at Leicester City.

The Town manager’s decision was confirmed this afternoon by an announcement on the official website.

There has been endless speculation in the media about his future, and it will be with some relief that Town fans receive this news.

In an interview for the club’s registration site www.hattersworld.co.uk, Mike Newell intimated that he was looking forward to continuing the work he has already put in.

Happy here

“I am really happy here,†he said, “and that was the major reason for me wanting to stay. There is still a lot that could happen at Luton Town and I would hope to be a part of it when it does happen. What has been achieved in recent seasons has been great for everyone concerned and all of us, including myself, hopes that it can continue.â€Â

He went on, 'There hasn't been a lot of thinking to be done to be honest and never at any stage did I feel I was ever going to leave Luton Town. I did speak to Leicester on several occasions and the club did conduct their business in the right manner. Being an ex-player at Leicester, I know what a good club it is and I felt it would have been rude not to speak to them out of courtesy but never did I go to Leicester with the intentions of leaving Luton.

Job to do

'Without a doubt, I still believe that there is a job to be done here. In the position we are in, I will not give up hope of retaining a play-off place before the end of the season.

'I am really happy here and that was the major reason for me wanting to stay. I am very happy working for a 'proper football club' and I love the players and who I am working with.â€Â

Never offered job

"When I get up in the morning I look forward to coming into work and that is something you can't buy. It would have had to be a real major football club offer to see me leave Luton.

"I want to make it clear that I was never offered any job nor was a contract ever discussed so there was never a decision to make. The only decision I have had to make is the decision that I want to stay with Luton Town."

From Mr Mike Newell

So just how long does it take the board to offer someone the job or do they take Kelly seriously as a contender and giving him time so he can make up their mind for them.

yeah i made this point in the arsey newell thread, he was never offered it so can hardly blame him for pledging future to Luton can you, you would do the same, mind you the board has made us look laike a laughing stock again, nothing new there then!

Don't talk rubbish. HE DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE!!!! How is that letting him slip.

DUH, he is going to say that afterwards isnt he!, of course we let him slip, we dithered again, treating like its an exalted position, the whole way the board has handled all this has worried me no end.

yeah i made this point in the arsey newell thread, he was never offered it so can hardly blame him for pledging future to Luton can you, you would do the same, mind you the board has made us look laike a laughing stock again, nothing new there then!

Whats new? :unsure:

Perhaps after interviewing him they decided he wasn't the man for LCFC, so how would that make them a laughing stock? Once again we don't know sufficient facts to make such comments.

Perhaps after interviewing him they decided he wasn't the man for LCFC, so how would that make them a laughing stock? Once again we don't know sufficient facts to make such comments.

Exactly... I really despair with this place sometimes.

Comments like "no one wants the job", we don't even know if it has been offered!!! Just because some people have morals and don't walk out on there clubs for us doesn't mean they don't want the job. If chairman refuse us permission to speak what can you do?

At this time of year and in the position we are in, it was always going to be difficult to get someone who has been doing a good job. If we get to the summer and are still in this division, I would wager that we would have managers knocking the door down to come to us.

Exactly... I really despair with this place sometimes.

Comments like "no one wants the job", we don't even know if it has been offered!!! Just because some people have morals and don't walk out on there clubs for us doesn't mean they don't want the job. If chairman refuse us permission to speak what can you do?

At this time of year and in the position we are in, it was always going to be difficult to get someone who has been doing a good job. If we get to the summer and are still in this division, I would wager that we would have managers knocking the door down to come to us.

Too right. :thumbup:

DUH, he is going to say that afterwards isnt he!, of course we let him slip, we dithered again, treating like its an exalted position, the whole way the board has handled all this has worried me no end.

Prove to me we let him slip... oh hang on you can't as you weren't in the board meetings. :rolleyes:

Typical lets blame the board reactions. I tell you what is easier, look at the bloody league table if you want something to blame.

I doubt it's quite that. I imagine that the final position on Tuesday night was the question, "Do you want to be considered for the job?" with the implication that if he wanted it, it was there. Newell asked for 48 hours to consider it, and decided against it. So, no offer precisely - allowing both parties to walk away with a bit of face remaining.

If we get to the summer and are still in this division, I would wager that we would have managers knocking the door down to come to us.

Exactly. Come the summer, more managers will be taking a long hard look at what their clubs can offer them, long term. And Leicester is an appealing proposition in lots of ways because of the squad and infrastructure. I think that Newell would have been good for us but he knows that if he scrapes into the premiership with Luton he has a shout at getting a chance at a Prem club - Boro, say, if they're still there, Bolton or Man City if Allardyce or Pearce move on.

I Fail to understand what all the fuss is about.Whether he was or was not offered the job is irrelevant,and to be honest does not warrant further discussions.At this moment in time we are not a club in crisis.Like other clubs we do not have a manager,but we have managed two wins on the trot.and hopefully a third on saturday,get behind Rob Kelly,Mike Stowell,and support them :)

I Fail to understand what all the fuss is about.Whether he was or was not offered the job is irrelevant,and to be honest does not warrant further discussions.At this moment in time we are not a club in crisis.Like other clubs we do not have a manager,but we have managed two wins on the trot.and hopefully a third on saturday,get behind Rob Kelly,Mike Stowell,and support them :)

Trouble is if we lose the next two games everyone will say we need a permanent replacement

I feel like posting some cock badger.

As long as it's only posting some cock badger, I'd be worried if you were posting on feeling some cock badger :o

due to the 2 recent wins the board have had the luxourious position of being able to bide their time. I personally feel they should leave things as they are until the summer.

i dont think its a problem why they didnt offer the job to newell. there must be a reason for that. i think it is important to trust the board. they are the ones ultimately responsible for keeping the club afloat. priority number 1!!!!!! bringing a manager in now could rock the boat too much.

due to the 2 recent wins the board have had the luxourious position of being able to bide their time. I personally feel they should leave things as they are until the summer.

i dont think its a problem why they didnt offer the job to newell. there must be a reason for that. i think it is important to trust the board. they are the ones ultimately responsible for keeping the club afloat. priority number 1!!!!!! bringing a manager in now could rock the boat too much.

I don't think this is entirely down to our board. We will never find out what sort of deal Newell managed to negotiate with his own chairman for not going to LCFC.

It makes me feel better that he didn't actually reject us. It's obvious that Luton had pulled all stops to try and keep him and he probably got no word from city and thought it best to take himself out of the reckoning.

But I do wonder what the board are trying to do, it looks as though they are keeping all options open, but it could back fire they have spoke to 2 managers and have not offered a job to any of them, other managers will be reluctant to talk to city as they may not be offered a job at the end of it. Depending on the next 2 results i'm all for keeping Kelly in charge!!!

It makes me feel better that he didn't actually reject us. It's obvious that Luton had pulled all stops to try and keep him and he probably got no word from city and thought it best to take himself out of the reckoning.

But I do wonder what the board are trying to do, it looks as though they are keeping all options open, but it could back fire they have spoke to 2 managers and have not offered a job to any of them, other managers will be reluctant to talk to city as they may not be offered a job at the end of it. Depending on the next 2 results i'm all for keeping Kelly in charge!!!

Which two managers have they talked to?

Archived