Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester Lass

Hendo waiting in wings

http://www.lcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/...~784386,00.html

Paul Henderson is ready and willing should he be called upon again to take to the field on Saturday when the Foxes take on Leeds.

With Rab Douglas struggling with a thigh injury, the 29-year-old shotstopper is in line to make only his third league start of the campaign at the weekend.

The Australian was thrown in at the deep end on Tuesday night after Douglas failed to emerge for the second period.

He said: "You have to prepare both mentally and physically whether you are starting a game or not.

"I was ready when I got the nod at half-time but I was a bit disappointed at the end that I missed a cross and my kicking wasn't the best.

"But if the opportunity does come along then I will try and take it."

Henderson has found it difficult to establish himself in the City side following his summer move from Bradford City due to the form of Douglas.

However, when called upon, he has performed admirably especially during City's 1-0 triumph at Cardiff in the Carling Cup back in October.

But he is not one to bear a grudge and added: "Rab has had a great season and hasn't done anything wrong to justify losing his place.

"He is a great keeper and has a wealth of experience at the top level of the game.

"It comes with the territory of being a goalkeeper - only one person can play at any one time."

Henderson has also hailed the contribution of goalkeeping coach-cum-assistant manager Mike Stowell.

"Mike is a very energetic person and is more than capable of combining both roles," said Henderson.

"He has always worked with us and passed on his experience and nothing has changed since Craig Levein and his staff left last month."

Leeds United arrive at the Walkers Stadium in third place in the Championship, and are still in with a chance of automatic promotion to the Premier League.

But Henderson is convinced that the Foxes can spring a surprise.

"It is going to be a tough game because Leeds are a very well organised side but we are going through a rich vein of form and anything is possible.

"The crowd have been fantastic of late and if they get behind us again then you never know what might happen."

Rather play logan tbh, as henderson looked to flap a bit against Derby and his distribution, dont even get me started.

Don't be so harsh! He's hardly played in the first team. Am i right in saying that that's his first time at Walkers? (in first team anyway) I'm sure he'll do a good job against Leeds.

Don't be so harsh! He's hardly played in the first team. Am i right in saying that that's his first time at Walkers? (in first team anyway) I'm sure he'll do a good job against Leeds.

Yeah, let's give him a bit of time before we judge him.

He's not had any first team experience for ages and it's very difficult to come off the bench without a decent warm-up, especially for a goal keeper.

If he gets a run of 3-4 games then we'll get a proper idea of his competency. Let's not write him off before then, eh?

Got to be honest I don't share everyone's delight at Douglas being out, I think he is the best of a bad lot.

Henderson scares me, and for someone to that more than Rab takes some doing. He doesn't command his area, everytime I have seen him he lacks the communication needed between GK and defenders and his distribution is Neil Sullivanesque.

Before anyone brings up the Cardiff cup tie as conclusive evidence he is the new Yashin, those saves were standard saves and any 'keeper at this level should make them. I think people will find out that Douglas is no where near as bad as they perceive.

Got to be honest I don't share everyone's delight at Douglas being out, I think he is the best of a bad lot.

Henderson scares me, and for someone to that more than Rab takes some doing. He doesn't command his area, everytime I have seen him he lacks the communication needed between GK and defenders and his distribution is Neil Sullivanesque.

Before anyone brings up the Cardiff cup tie as conclusive evidence he is the new Yashin, those saves were standard saves and any 'keeper at this level should make them. I think people will find out that Douglas is no where near as bad as they perceive.

No you're right, Douglas is an above average keeper and if he stopped flapping and commanded his box with more conviction he'd be seen as such.

Some people seem to forget that all players make mistakes, if our strikers made the same number of mistakes as Douglas a game(2 or 3) we'd score 4 or 5 goals every game!

Douglas is mostly a very good keeper. Certainly a fine shot-stopper and seemed to be getting better in commanding the area once he had a settled, communicating back four in front of him.

Plus, he really seems to love playing for the club and signalling his joy to the fans. Which doesn't make him a better keeper but does make me like him all the more.

No you're right, Douglas is an above average keeper and if he stopped flapping and commanded his box with more conviction he'd be seen as such.

Some people seem to forget that all players make mistakes, if our strikers made the same number of mistakes as Douglas a game(2 or 3) we'd score 4 or 5 goals every game!

The same could be said about Henderson though. What faults has Henderson got that are worse than Douglas's?

I've only seen Henderson about twice in the first team and several games at reserve level and every time he's impressed me. People say that Douglas's main strength is shot stopping, but Henderson is a better shot stopper. I didn't go the Cardiff game but saw the highlights and they weren't standard saves at all, some of them were top drawer and he won us the game arguably.

I'm confident he'll prove people wrong who think he looks dodgy. These words will no doubt come back to hanut me but I think he's more than good enough.

I think we have three competent keepers. Douglas worried me at the start of the season, but he hasn't made too many critical errors.

If we go into tomorrow with Hendo and Logan, I'll be happy enough. I'm particularly pleased that Logan seems to have benefited fom his spell at Boston.

Loaning out players is something that hasn't really proved its worth for City over recent seasons (Wright, Branston, Benjamin) so it's good to see O'Grady and Logan make some progress.

Maybe we should sort out Sheehan with a move to a League One club before the season ends? Assuiming he's fit, of course? My vote would be for a club like Bournemouth, who always play good football on the deck and have a reputation for helping promising youngsters (Defoe, Ferdinand).

I think we have three competent keepers. Douglas worried me at the start of the season, but he hasn't made too many critical errors.

If we go into tomorrow with Hendo and Logan, I'll be happy enough. I'm particularly pleased that Logan seems to have benefited fom his spell at Boston.

Loaning out players is something that hasn't really proved its worth for City over recent seasons (Wright, Branston, Benjamin) so it's good to see O'Grady and Logan make some progress.

Maybe we should sort out Sheehan with a move to a League One club before the season ends? Assuiming he's fit, of course? My vote would be for a club like Bournemouth, who always play good football on the deck and have a reputation for helping promising youngsters (Defoe, Ferdinand).

Douglas might not of made many critical errors but does anyone else get the feeling that good goalie's manage to make remarkable saves which in term means they concede less. For example there have been many times when teams have scored goals against us that although Douglas hasn't made a gaff but it appears that he could have done better to keep it out. The 2 goals in the second half at Stoke he hardly moved for and dived far too early for the first one and then gave up.

As regards to Sheehan, I think we need him here at the minute. We have a very small squad and with suspensions pending and possibly injuries he'll be needed and should be given a chance anyway.

theres nothing on the OS (thats not saying much i know) about logan being recalled

Douglas might not of made many critical errors but does anyone else get the feeling that good goalie's manage to make remarkable saves which in term means they concede less. For example there have been many times when teams have scored goals against us that although Douglas hasn't made a gaff but it appears that he could have done better to keep it out. The 2 goals in the second half at Stoke he hardly moved for and dived far too early for the first one and then gave up.

Agreed. Although what he lacks in speed, he makes up for in experience - he's not ideal, but he's not let one through his legs or done a Pressman.

As regards to Sheehan, I think we need him here at the minute. We have a very small squad and with suspensions pending and possibly injuries he'll be needed and should be given a chance anyway.

Agreed again. I was thinking more of March, nearer the loan window closing, and if we can maintain a 7-9 gap from the bottom three. Half-a-dozen games in April would do him the world of good.

Of course, if we keep clear of trouble, he could get that experience at Leicester!

that takes the p1ss when the beeb has more info then our own web site, the most surprising thing is i'm actually surprised

:yesyes:

The only two good things about the official site are the MatchConsole (best to listen to the away team's commentary though) and the ticket info, which is usually(?) accurate.

Archived