Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kis Kis Kisnorbo

Man in charge next season

Manager next season  

110 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want to see next season?

• Rob Kelly
    • New manager

That's a difficult one.

It's very harsh on RK to say his position is entirely results-dependant. If we finish, 21st on goal difference, he'll have done his job, and that's good enough for me come May. It's difficult to tell how coy he's being about actually wanting it on a full-time basis - I don't see why he wouldn't want the job as he's got little to lose by taking it. He's a respected coach, with some success at youth level. If the LCFC job goes tits-up, he can shrug his shoulders and go back to coaching.

As far as we're concerned, if Kelly's Heroes really are on an upward curve, we'd be mad to go down the compensation route and appoint A.N.Other. Kelly and Graydon are no mugs - they're liked by the players, it seems, and seem to have "it", whatever "it" is - at the moment. It might be the after-Levein effect, but "it"'s working!

As for A.N.Other, you pays your money, you takes your chances. I'll support whoever comes in. A word on two possibles, though...

Firstly Martin Allen. I've criticised him in the past, but his record at Brentford is good and there probably is more to him than meets the eye. Sam Allardyce went from lower-league big-mouth to one of the most respected coaches in the country. Allen could go the same way. When he does make the leap up from Brentford to wherever, he'll have to adapt pretty quickly to life in the pressure cooker. He gives the impression, at times, of being two cards short of the full deck - a bit of a hick. He'll be dealing with bigger earners, more complex characters - if he's going for tea-cup throwing a la MON, he'd better have the tactical savvy to back it up.

Mike Newell - I really have my reservations about this guy. He's a tease for starters. We don't know what was discussed betwixt LCFC board and MN last month, but I don't feel the guy came out smelling of roses. He's getting a reputation (good or bad, depending on your PoV) as a bit of a loose cannon. There was the whole bung business, which I feel he will regret in time. In addition, and you'll have to trust me on this, a lot of Hartlepool supporters (where I live) have no time for the guy - his conduct at, and away from the club allegedly left a fair bit to be desired. I've heard the odd tale. I have mixed feeling. Enough said.

Back to the question...

The ball's in RK's court as far as I'm concerned. If he wants it, if the players want it, if the team's on an upward curve....why not?

As far as we're concerned, if Kelly's Heroes really are on an upward curve, we'd be mad to go down the compensation route and appoint A.N.Other. Kelly and Graydon are no mugs - they're liked by the players, it seems, and seem to have "it", whatever "it" is - at the moment. It might be the after-Levein effect, but "it"'s working!

Oooh, it just like The X Factor!! :P

IMO keep Rob and Co. it ain't broke (at the momment) so don't fix it.

RK has done a superb job so far

so has Roeder at Newcastle and those blokes at forest.

it doesn't mean that the're right for the job full time.

it makes me laugh when a manager at any club is near the brink, the players always say 'we're all in this together', we're all right behind the gaffer' etc etc

and yet when they have been given the bullet, the team starts playing again.

RK knows the squad and the club and at the moment you can't fault him.

for that reason, and the financial side of things, he is the obvious choice to lead us.

but it doesn't always work out in the long run and i think the club and our fans should keep our options open.

lets just stay in this division 1st and worry about the next step come May

My heart sinks on reading some of the above contributions.

Does anyone seriously believe that RK, on the evidence to date, is capable of taking us back to the Premiership, let alone keeping us there?

We shouldn't be content with someone who can keep us in this division, a status which should never really EVER have been in doubt.

Too many FOXES now seem to think that mid-table in a lower league represents some sort of comfort zone. It doesn't. A club with our fanbase and potential should be aiming far higher.

The status quo is not an option. We'll need new blood in the summer to replenish the squad.

And the manager whose task it will be to attract players to the club will need a proven eye for talent - which the present incumbent doesn't have.

Some of the candidates who may have been unwilling to jump ship in mid-season may think differently during the summer.

The danger is that the board may choose the cheapest option - which may not be the best one.

If results continue as they are, it has to be Kelly.

We've shown play-off form since he's taken over so why do people still question whether he's good enough? Or that under Kelly we'll simply be a mid-table outfit? The evidence so far suggests otherwise.

Also, Kelly may not have a proven track record of buying quality players, but he was behind the transfers of McCarthy and Hume, so that's good enough for me. Neither was Levein the king of transfers - after all look at Sylla, Hamill, De Vries, and to a lesser extent Douglas - none of them have distinguished themselves.

i say keep RK, he hasnt done anything wrong so far so why change it??

bringing in a new manager would mean they would more than likely bring there own back room staff and that means RK would prob be out of a job and that aint far seeing as what he has done in the past couple of months!!

If results continue as they are, it has to be Kelly.

We've shown play-off form since he's taken over so why do people still question whether he's good enough? Or that under Kelly we'll simply be a mid-table outfit? The evidence so far suggests otherwise.

Play-off form? We've shown automatic promotion form! :thumbup:

I cant see how anyone concider offering the job to anyone other than rob kelly

Yeah Rob Kelly has to be our best option - he still has plenty of youth on him to improve as a manager. I'm sure Cotterill and Newell would both probably be willing to take over at the end of the season now, but why would we want those two clowns? Burnley got hammered 3-0 by Derby and are below Leicester, and their style of play is shit (we have scored more goals than them!), and Luton lost to us today and there is a good chance of us finishing above Luton at the end of the season!

I notice a 7% jump in favour of Kelly since today's game. He's really growing on you all. :P

I like how Burnley have dived head-first down the table since Cotterill turned us down. I think it's great fun. I can see why that Kamara bloke was upset with our antics - he must be a Burnley fan. :P

If kelly didnt stay next season for whatever reason ( I want him though ) at the moment who realisticaly would you like to see? Mine would be Mick McCarthy-hes class

Mick McCarthy? Class?

hmmmmm

No thanks. I'd rather give Dave Basset the job over McCarthy. Or even the dreaded David Pleat.

I think Rob Kelly should be a very very strong candidate I think it could harm us even more to have someone else coming in changing half the squad again. after seeing the way we have perfomed since he took over it seems we are only a couple of players short of a very strong team and we would probably be in a lot better position next season if we keep most of the squad together!!

the performances since he took over have also been nothing less than outstanding

Archived