Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kylecoare

Conceding sloppy goals.

Having watched the highlights for some of our recent games, i am quite concerned about the amount of simple goals we are conseding.

Basically the opposition get a corner or free kick and knock the ball to the far post and someone scores, why are we not marking correctly?

other than on these occasions the defence seems quite solid.

Having watched the highlights for some of our recent games, i am quite concerned about the amount of simple goals we are conseding.

Basically the opposition get a corner or free kick and knock the ball to the far post and someone scores, why are we not marking correctly?

other than on these occasions the defence seems quite solid.

We've been poor at set piece defending for a few seasons.

Fact. That's all there is to it. We've not been dealing with them too well - which is probably why we've concentrated on scoring, because we know that we'll concede.

I'm blaming Joey for the goal myself, looking on the replays you can see he's on the post then moves alongthe line towards the ball. So when Howard headed it Joey's post was unguarded, exactly where the ball went in!!

We seem to be unable to defend set pieces very well, and overall defending sometimes is poor!! We lack a real big centre back to cope with set pieces but in saying that we are generally a small side!! Defence needs confidence and stability, if they keep conceding silly goals they will always look suspect and will make errors, it's catch 22!!!

I wouldn't blame Joey too much though. We've kept one clean sheet in 21 games. Our problem is that we lack a bit of height and strength in defence.

Our defenders are fast and mobile which means we restrict the opposition chances severely (Luton had four shots on target) but when we are defending from an essentially static start and with the inevitability of the ball going into our penalty box then we miss having height, strength and a genuinely dominant goalkeeper.

The best answer is to defend high enough to avoid conceding either corners or free-kicks in dangerous areas but that isn't easy. Or to accept we'll likely concede and to score at least two ourselves as we have done five times under Kelly in the League.

Flawless defenders don't exist at any level and at Championship level I think there's only Reading, Palace and Wolves who have conceded fewer goals than the number of games played.

We seem to be unable to defend set pieces very well, and overall defending sometimes is poor!! We lack a real big centre back to cope with set pieces but in saying that we are generally a small side!! Defence needs confidence and stability, if they keep conceding silly goals they will always look suspect and will make errors, it's catch 22!!!

Paddy Kis and Mac should be fine in the air.

I think it's more of a positionong thing and also getting into good defensive positions from the second ball, i.e flick ons, etc.

It's not just defending set pieces, we are no longer a threat when attacking as well.

It's one of the easiest parts of the game to practise on the training pitch. There should be no excuse.

Paddy Kis and Mac should be fine in the air.

I think it's more of a positionong thing and also getting into good defensive positions from the second ball, i.e flick ons, etc.

Paddy is ok in the air but I doubt Kisnorbo's airial ability, each time he comes accros a big striker he always gets beat.

Good point about positioning\second ball, if you can't win the first ball, the second ball is a must???

Paddy is ok in the air but I doubt Kisnorbo's airial ability, each time he comes accros a big striker he always gets beat.

Good point about positioning\second ball, if you can't win the first ball, the second ball is a must???

Kisnorbo's heading is pretty good, I don't think he gets beaten that often. Stearman takes up some very poor positions at corners and often doesn't mark his man well but he can improve on this in training.

This goes with my Joey thing, how many time have Leicester as a defence cleared/blocked a ball on the line, hardly ever to my knowledge. It's the smaller players (Joey, Maybury, Williams) who should be on the posts/goal line to clear the ball should the ball drop to an opposition player.

Ha blaming Joey for not guarding the post properly is stretching it somewhat. The ball didn't even go near the post from what I recall, if he wanted to block the header he would've had to make a diving save!!

The defenders were nowhere near Howard when he headed the ball, if anyone should be blamed it should be them.

and consistency is all. We've chopped and changed our defence so much in the last three years, and it's only now that we're starting to look settled. I'm hoping Stearman, Kisnorbo and McCarthy can remain in place for a year or two. I also think that Nissa is better than people give him credit for, but whereas Stearman operates with a defensive midfielder in the form of Maybury in front of him, (and from watching the Luton game it looks like they're starting to interchange really intuitively), Nissa has had all manner of people in front of him. Nissa is tall and ungainly, which makes his mistakes look worse.

At the moment we don't have an attacking right sided midfielder worthy of the name imho. Thus perhaps we should start with Welsh on the left, and give him free rein to attack as much as he can, with one of the remaining midfield three given a zonal role that he has to stick to, basically operating in a triangle which has its peak in the centre circle and extends to about 15 yards in front of the peno box at either end. Don't mind who it is, but there has to be discipline. It might not be popular but I'd ask Tiatto do to it when fit, with Joey in the central midfield slot. That means no place for Hughes or Williams.

For the first 35 mins on Saturday the team passed the ball really well. It was encouraging and Luton hadn't taken a single shot. After that it seemed to me that three of our midefielders, Joey, Williams and Hughes, kept getting in each other's way. Poor old Hughesy really can't play left midfield.

Thoughts?

The ball didn't even go near the post from what I recall, if he wanted to block the header he would've had to make a diving save!!

It was only a foot away and at about waist/shoulder height, yes we should have dealt with the header, but as someone above has said it is the second ball that is just as important whether it is a drop down, or clearence. No defender, no matter how good, will win 100% of headers, especially against on of the best headers of a ball in the league (Howard). If you put someone on a post they should stay there until the ball has been properly cleared!!

It's not just defending set pieces, we are no longer a threat when attacking as well.

It's one of the easiest parts of the game to practise on the training pitch. There should be no excuse.

(A)...since when? The halcyon Halliday days of the 1950's ('Play up Leicester!')? No!... surely you don't mean...er you don't mean since the departure of a certain coach with a name that is eerily similar to a US military toilet (that cannot be spelt out on this thread no matter how hard you try) do you? Hate to tell you this sweetheart but in actual fact our goal tally per match has nearly doubled since Kelly took over.

(B)...and defending set pieces is one of the hardest things to get right on matchday! Ball watching is a very difficult disease to cure because it isn't very easy to diagnose. For example, you wouldn't suspect someone like Roy Keane of doing it although he does it all the time. In fact very few fans even know of this malady (er like the ones on this thread) because Alan Hansen hasn't mentioned it on MOTD for simply ages.

There is one thing I do object to under Kellly. All this late goals malarkey. Can't seem to beat the traffic anymore. Under Levein it was piss easy...

... I'd go down for my pie and pint and be out of the ground by the start of the second half.

(A)...since when? The halcyon Halliday days of the 1950's ('Play up Leicester!')? No!... surely you don't mean...er you don't mean since the departure of a certain coach with a name that is eerily similar to a US military toilet (that cannot be spelt out on this thread no matter how hard you try) do you? Hate to tell you this sweetheart but in actual fact our goal tally per match has nearly doubled since Kelly took over.

(B)...and defending set pieces is one of the hardest things to get right on matchday! Ball watching is a very difficult disease to cure because it isn't very easy to diagnose. For example, you wouldn't suspect someone like Roy Keane of doing it although he does it all the time. In fact very few fans even know of this malady (er like the ones on this thread) because Alan Hansen hasn't mentioned it on MOTD for simply ages.

There is one thing I do object to under Kellly. All this late goals malarkey. Can't seem to beat the traffic anymore. Under Levein it was piss easy...

... I'd go down for my pie and pint and be out of the ground by the start of the second half.

A) If you cared to read my post, then you will see that I am discussing set pieces. I haven't questioned our ability to score goals from open play. It's when we win free kicks and corners, where we rarely use them to our advantage. How many corners either hit the first man, or sail aimlessly beyond the far post?

B) Of course defending set pieces is hard, this is why you work on them on the training pitch. Recently, a certain young player has been guilty of ball watching. Do you think I can't see this? Knowing who the culprit is, and the coaching staff also know this, they should be working with him more to overcome this problem in his game.

We haven't looked comfortable with set pieces since we lost players like Walsh, Taggart and Elliott. I don't know why you seem to think I am a fan of Levein. I was critical of his tactics at set pieces right from the start. But then again, I suppose you'll make anything up to try and get one over me. Sad really.....

Its different now that RK is in charge, because we werent scoring masses under CL the defensive frailties showed up a lot more (like poor defending of set pieces) in the past few games we have actually looked like scoring more than the opposition so it makes it less obvious. Not good for the old blood pressure sometimes though :ermm:

Archived