Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Lineker, Bruno... Fryatt?

I don't see how wingers will help Fryatt's game, he doesn't look that good in the air. He looks at his most dangerous when we try and pass the ball through the middle due to hsi clever runs and excellent acceloration. To that measure Hume is his perfect partner.

How good is he? I have no idea yet but I am sure as hell happy that he is at Leicester.

Wingers don't have to hit their final passes aimlessly through the air - indeed you could ban aerial passes to our strikers altogether as far as I am concerned. A clever winger will ensure he gets more opportunities of the type he likes and the space he might need to capitalise on those chances.

I must admit to being extremely excited by Fryatt(incidentally does anyone know if he is related to the 1960's legend Jim Fryatt? )Without appearing to be outstanding in any way i.e rather ungainly running style,not spectacular in the air,sometimes clumsy first touch,no dramatic pace or shooting power, he is incredibly effective and poses a constant threat.His partnership with Hume is already causing shockwaves in the division and augers very,very well for the future.

As a fan you are the very lifeblood of this club but I do give thanks that you're not the manager. :whistle:

Not only do we not need attacking football but you still think we could get relegated. How black do your thoughts get? <_<

Kevin Keegan.

I don't see how wingers will help Fryatt's game, he doesn't look that good in the air. He looks at his most dangerous when we try and pass the ball through the middle due to hsi clever runs and excellent acceloration. To that measure Hume is his perfect partner.

How good is he? I have no idea yet but I am sure as hell happy that he is at Leicester.

Agreed. Fryatt is nothing better than average in the air. He likes the ball to feet and works hard to create a chance for himself.

If he was as good as everyone is making out then maybe he would have been snapped up by a premiership club before Leicester got the chance to sign him??

Agreed. Fryatt is nothing better than average in the air. He likes the ball to feet and works hard to create a chance for himself.

If he was as good as everyone is making out then maybe he would have been snapped up by a premiership club before Leicester got the chance to sign him??

Villa and a few other premiership clubs were interested - not my words but from Fryatt himself. He didn't want to go to a premiership club just yet as he didn't think he was good enough to command a regular first team place. That's pleasing to hear, a player not solely interested in money but playing football.

As regard to TrickyTrev's comments on successful sides never playing 2 wingers anymore, he's right but we don't even play one!!!!

Name me a succesful football side that plays with two wingers and not one up fornt. If you look at those who play with two upfornt; Liverpool, England, Arsenal, Man U Sometimes. They always play with at least one narrow winger to boost the centre of the pitch. If you look at the sides that play two wingers; Chelsea, Bolton, Man U on occaisions, Barcelona. These all play a 4-3-3/4-5-1 formationa nd again keeping three in the middle.

It is impossible to be competitive with only two central midfielders in the fast paced, athletic and combative game of today. Often picking two iwngers leaves them looking ineffective because they are given slow ball by a midfield that is under siege.

I don't know how many times I have to repeat that I've conceded two wingers is a pipe dream in a Kelly team.

"Only me" carries on just the same. I explore ideas in the knowledge that people will disagree, and that's the purpose of debate, but it would be preferable if you disagree with what I say not what you choose to turn it into.

Two wingers is not a realistic option at Leicester anyway right now because Welsh is the only winger worthy of the name and I've long written off the others.

I don't know how many times I have to repeat that I've conceded two wingers is a pipe dream in a Kelly team.

"Only me" carries on just the same. I explore iteas in the knowledge that people will disagree, and that's the purpose of debate, but it would be preferable if you disagree with what I say not what you choose to turn it into.

Two wingers is not a realistic option at Leicester anyway right now because Welsh is the only winger worthy of the name and I've long written off the others.

You may also wish to take into account the fact that good exciting wingers dont grow on trees or indeed come for free. So I wouldnt expect that situation to change any time soon.

You may also wish to take into account the fact that good exciting wingers dont grow on trees or indeed come for free. So I wouldnt expect that situation to change any time soon.

There is always the odd bargain out there if you have a canny manager. :thumbup:

Villa and a few other premiership clubs were interested - not my words but from Fryatt himself. He didn't want to go to a premiership club just yet as he didn't think he was good enough to command a regular first team place. That's pleasing to hear, a player not solely interested in money but playing football.

As regard to TrickyTrev's comments on successful sides never playing 2 wingers anymore, he's right but we don't even play one!!!!

Walsall turned down a move by Forest for what would of totald 850,000, So I heard, and I also herd Tottenham (or someone like that ) came in with a offer which would eventully total 1M, also turned down( hence all my whittling about him being a million pound player ) That was last summer. Then for some reason Merson had a jumble sale in January and we picked him up. How is still beyond me.

Walsall turned down a move by Forest for what would of totald 850,000, So I heard, and I also herd Tottenham (or someone like that ) came in with a offer which would eventully total 1M, also turned down( hence all my whittling about him being a million pound player ) That was last summer. Then for some reason Merson had a jumble sale in January and we picked him up. How is still beyond me.

Me too. I remember at the time both of us dismissed the rumours of us getting him and then when the fee was agreed and it was only £350k I was astonished and blatantly wrong! :D

Me too. I remember at the time both of us dismissed the rumours of us getting him and then when the fee was agreed and it was only £350k I was astonished and blatantly wrong! :D

Yes we were quite blatently wrong. I remember a certain someone tipping Rory Falon around about that time as well, and Rory has been on fire recently :unsure::whistle:

We could do with a few more bargains like Fryatt, lets hope the buying team at city can keep up the good work!!! :D

"Only me" carries on just the same. I explore ideas in the knowledge that people will disagree, and that's the purpose of debate, but it would be preferable if you disagree with what I say not what you choose to turn it into.

You tend to explore one idea (attacking 4-4-2 football with two wingers) without thinking about the current situation, we don't have enough quality in the centre of the field to hold onto the ball, just look at the way Millwall had the ball in our half for most of the second half in Saturdays match, a manager opting for 2 wingers with the current situation in our midfield would be taking too many risks. Rob is happy to put attacking players onto the field when he sees the opportunity but our last few games have been won by hard work.

Even when we have a stronger midfield I would expect that a manager in this division would play with one wide player and three in the middle, this gives options for the quality centre midfielder we will sign :thumbup: to join in attacks.

You tend to explore one idea (attacking 4-4-2 football with two wingers) without thinking about the current situation, we don't have enough quality in the centre of the field to hold onto the ball, just look at the way Millwall had the ball in our half for most of Saturdays match, a manager opting for 2 wingers with the current situation in our midfield would be taking too many risks. Rob is happy to put attacking players onto the field when he sees the opportunity but our last few games have been won by hard work.

Even when we have a stronger midfield I would expect that a manager in this division would play with one wide player and three in the middle, this gives options for the quality centre midfielder we will sign :thumbup: to join in attacks.

WE DON'T EVEN PLAY ONE WINGER THOUGH!!!!

WE DON'T EVEN PLAY ONE WINGER THOUGH!!!!

I can't disagree with that but if Welsh isn't upto 90 minutes at the moment (we don't know how fit he is) then we haven't got a winger at the club that I would play from the start if I was the manager.

We need to sign midfielders before next season, 2 in the centre and 1 winger at least imo.

I can't disagree with that but if Welsh isn't upto 90 minutes at the moment (we don't know how fit he is) then we haven't got a winger at the club that I would play from the start if I was the manager.

We need to sign midfielders before next season, 2 in the centre and 1 winger at least imo.

Agreed.

I think Welsh probably is up to it though it's just Kelly won't change a winning team even if there are individuals in the team at the minute that aren't performing that well on a regular basis (Williams, Hughes & Maybury).

You tend to explore one idea (attacking 4-4-2 football with two wingers) without thinking about the current situation, we don't have enough quality in the centre of the field to hold onto the ball, just look at the way Millwall had the ball in our half for most of the second half in Saturdays match, a manager opting for 2 wingers with the current situation in our midfield would be taking too many risks. Rob is happy to put attacking players onto the field when he sees the opportunity but our last few games have been won by hard work.

Having been a very early campaigner for the ousting of Sylla, having touted Hume in the hole behind the front two when he couldn't get into Levein's team and we couldn't score, having advocated wing backs as a means of increasing our fire power etc. you've obviously not been around for much of what's been said.

And, apart from the odd 4-5-1, I cannot remember any other system either Levein or Kelly have played but 4-4-2 so it's not going to be much use debating the best players in any other system.

Having been a very early campaigner for the ousting of Sylla, having touted Hume in the hole behind the front two when he couldn't get into Levein's team and we couldn't score, having advocated wing backs as a means of increasing our fire power etc. you've obviously not been around for much of what's been said.

And, apart from the odd 4-5-1, I cannot remember any other system either Levein or Kelly have played but 4-4-2 so it's not going to be much use debating the best players in any other system.

We played 3-5-2 under Levein when we did not have Gillespie available around January time last year.

Why do you make football in to such a complicated game Thracian, like Rob Kelly says, its simple. Kick a ball in to a net :rolleyes:

Why would Kelly want to change a system that has worked for him?

lots of reason,

to make improvements to the way we play so that we control more of the game,

to modify the game plan so people don't suss out our strengths and weaknesses.

to put pressure on individual players, although they might be part of a wining team could still be under performing,

to strengthen specific areas of weakness,

to combat a particular strength of the opposition,

to take advantage of a weakness in the opposition,

to give other players a chance to strengthen their game so that they are ready should an injury occur,

to give players a rest,

Not changing a winning team is a good appraoch but you should never rest on your laurels and should always be looking to improve and be prepared for changes that are forced upon you..

lots of reason,

to make improvements to the way we play so that we control more of the game,

to modify the game plan so people don't suss out our strengths and weaknesses.

to put pressure on individual players, although they might be part of a wining team could still be under performing,

to strengthen specific areas of weakness,

to combat a particular strength of the opposition,

to take advantage of a weakness in the opposition,

to give other players a chance to strengthen their game so that they are ready should an injury occur,

to give players a rest,

Not changing a winning team is a good appraoch but you should never rest on your laurels and should always be looking to improve and be prepared for changes that are forced upon you..

I agree that we should always be looking to improve, but Levein often tried to play Sylla and Hamill and it never worked. Why try and edge our way back to a system that has been proven to fail. The basis that Kelly has set out now, is a good solid base that yes we can in the long term look to improve on the areas above, but lets not been seen going forward 1 step to go back 2.

I agree that we should always be looking to improve, but Levein often tried to play Sylla and Hamill and it never worked. Why try and edge our way back to a system that has been proven to fail. The basis that Kelly has set out now, is a good solid base that yes we can in the long term look to improve on the areas above, but lets not been seen going forward 1 step to go back 2.

I just answered the question, but it's not a case of wholesale changes a la Levein or only enforced changes a la Kelly there are many, many steps in between the two. Don't mistake my comments as suggesting that Kelly should make changes, I'm happy to leave it up to him.

Who has ever suggested playing Sylla and Hamill?. I've been wanting them back in Scotland for months - in fact I don't remember anyone campaigning for those two.

Archived