Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gené and Tonic

O'Grady the next Heskey?

I can only speak from what I've seen of this lad, but what I have seen has impressed me.

He has strength and pace - as did Heskey

He doesn't seem afraid to run with the ball, and hold up play to find a pass to someone in space.

He is comfortable with the ball at hs feet and from what I've seen has a good touch.

O'Grady may not have the potential ability to become as good as Heskey, but he certainly has all the raw atributes to become a player like him. He doesn't have to be a top goal scorer, but to have all the atributes mentioned above, he could provide passes to people in space, he could draw out centre-backs and generally be a nuisence to the oppostion's back-line.

He has a good work ethic as Rob Kelly has pointed out, which will obviously help him learn and improve.

What does everyone else think, could O'Grady become the next Heskey for this club?

O'Grady may not have the potential ability to become as good as Heskey, but he certainly has all the raw atributes to become a player like him.

So not really the next Heskey then.

It's pleasing he's shown the ability/willingness to improve his game, but it's probably not a label he needs.

I'm not a big fan of labelling players as the new whoever, as this can put unwarranted pressure on them. I also find it unfair as fans focus on the similarities when things are going well, but pick on the differences when they don't. I would rather see O'Grady become a good player in his own right.

I've been impressed with him since his return to City; he's gained some muscle, he's strong, not easily intimidated, and has good touch. He's also clever; he knows how to win free kicks without having to resort to divng, and he's also good at keeping the ball in the corners when running the clock down, something I haven't seen us doing in ages.

I'm not a big fan of labelling players as the new whoever, as this can put unwarranted pressure on them. I also find it unfair as fans focus on the similarities when things are going well, but pick on the differences when they don't. I would rather see O'Grady become a good player in his own right.

I've been impressed with him since his return to City; he's gained some muscle, he's strong, not easily intimidated, and has good touch. He's also clever; he knows how to win free kicks without having to resort to divng, and he's also good at keeping the ball in the corners when running the clock down, something I haven't seen us doing in ages.

I couldnt agree more. I couldnt believe when people were calling Fryatt the new Linekar when he came. If he turns out that good, it would be absolutley amazing, but saying it just puts pressure on.

I like O'Grady, but lets just let him develop at his own rate and hopefully we'll have a decent striker in him soon.

I couldnt agree more. I couldnt believe when people were calling Fryatt the new Linekar when he came. If he turns out that good, it would be absolutley amazing, but saying it just puts pressure on.

I like O'Grady, but lets just let him develop at his own rate and hopefully we'll have a decent striker in him soon.

Come on guy's get a life, nobody is saying (or at least i hope not) that these players are going to be as sucessful as these previous players, just that they have similar attributes and quirks. I think these comparasons are natural, perhaps calling them the new so so and so is going a bit far but at least it helps build a relationship with the players, which is something we have been missing since Muzzy left. :thumbup:

O'Grady may not have the potential ability to become as good as Heskey, but he certainly has all the raw atributes to become a player like him. .....What does everyone else think, could O'Grady become the next Heskey for this club?
I think that implies enough for me. It's certainly asking the question.

By the way, what kind of life should I be getting? :thumbup:

I think that implies enough for me. It's certainly asking the question.

By the way, what kind of life should I be getting? :thumbup:

You can pick snippits of hinckley fox's post if it makes you feel better but if you read the thing in its entirity it suggests, as i said that they have similar attributes and quirks. I would rather see O'Grady, as you said become a good player in his own right (and i actually think he will) but early comparasons never hurt anybody, every striker that comes to this club will be compared to the likes of Lineker, Smith & Heskey it's in the nature of football fans in this country.

every striker that comes to this club will be compared to the likes of Lineker, Smith & Heskey it's in the nature of football fans in this country.

Agree.

It's what the forum is all about isn't it? We can discuss all aspect's of football. If the biggest pressure he ever faces is being likene'd to another player then he will have a charmed life. If he read's these posts he will probably end up having a good chuckle to himself :D

I'm happy for him to be the first O'Grady.

He's got solid foundations and needs to work hard on scoring more consistently. There is no reason he shouldn't do this because his shooting technique is fine.

He should study a few videos of great players making space.

Closer to home he could study how Lee Barnard made space the other night for Tottenham Reserves and I'm seriious.

City have that video and I thought, from a coaching point of view, certain aspects of Barnard's play would be brilliant for illustrating what others need to do. You could certainly see the Clive Allen influence.

O'Grady sounds like a chap who's prepared to learn and is already a great asset to City.

You can pick snippits of hinckley fox's post if it makes you feel better but if you read the thing in its entirity it suggests, as i said that they have similar attributes and quirks. I would rather see O'Grady, as you said become a good player in his own right (and i actually think he will) but early comparasons never hurt anybody, every striker that comes to this club will be compared to the likes of Lineker, Smith & Heskey it's in the nature of football fans in this country.

I disagree, comparisons can put unfair and unwarranted pressure onto young players, and will come back and slap them in the face if it all goes wrong.

I love the way you generalise football fans. Not all fans think in the same way, why do you think there's so much debate on these forums?

O'Grady sounds like a chap who's prepared to learn and is already a great asset to City.

This is as much as we can hope for at present i suppose. When it come's to fan's of the club, expectations are always high, we dont want to be realistic, but there's nothing wrong to hope he becomes a good player long term, everyone benefit's. :D

O'Grady has raw potential, he's an unpolished diamond. I think with alot of hard work he could become a very decent player at this level. His game has improved severely in less than a year, if he continues to improve at the rate he has been doing then I think we've got a very dangerous striker at this level.

I rate him highly.

ok , ok I can see many people are unhappy at my comparison to the two players. But surely some people must agree with me that he does have the attributes to become a heskey-like player for the club?

Obviously he will have his own way of playing which is good...if it's effective of course.

ok , ok I can see many people are unhappy at my comparison to the two players. But surely some people must agree with me that he does have the attributes to become a heskey-like player for the club?

Obviously he will have his own way of playing which is good...if it's effective of course.

So not like Heskey then :D

I disagree, comparisons can put unfair and unwarranted pressure onto young players, and will come back and slap them in the face if it all goes wrong.

I love the way you generalise football fans. Not all fans think in the same way, why do you think there's so much debate on these forums?

I generalise when it suits my argument too, a bit like MOST people. :D

i give up :P

TBH, I get the gist of what you're saying. He's a bit more physical than Fryatt and is more suited to leading the line than Hume, so he offers us something different, like Heskey did.

At the age of 20, he's not started a game for City yet, so he's still got a fair amount of catching up to do.

Not impressed me THAT much. So he has held the ball up okay and undoubted physicla attributed but his tocuh and ball striking still look below standard. He has a long way to go until he can consider himself good enough for Leicester never mind England and Liverpool.

Not impressed me THAT much. So he has held the ball up okay and undoubted physicla attributed but his touch and ball striking still look below standard. He has a long way to go until he can consider himself good enough for Leicester never mind England and Liverpool.

I think his ball control is one of his strongest attributes and has improved on it no end. Against Arsenal in the reserves a few months ago he gave their defence a torrid time with his pace, ball control and strength. That was the first time i'd seen him since before he'd gone to Rushden and the change in his game was impressive.

He's hardly played much for the first team yet but when he has come on he's often changed the game and took the pressure off our defence who were often defending deep because of the opposition pressing for an equaliser. Against Leeds he really caused them problems and the way he holds the ball up in the corners to run time down might not sound like much but it's a job he's been asked to do and he does it well. How many times in the past few seasons have we conceded late goals that have cost us points because our players were incapable of defending properly and keeping hold of the ball in the closing stages?

He also changed the game against Luton, not only his goal but the way he chased lost causes and allowed us to push further up the park and peg Luton back who were camped in out half for most of the second half. There was one moment when a long ball was hoofed up and over O'Grady, it looked impossible to catch let alone control, but he did it and it started an attack.

He might have a long way to go to be good enough for a regular starting spot at Leicester but I get the feeling he'll do whatever it takes to prove himself and take his chance. He's an unpolished diamond, I really like the look of him but it is early days and your right to be cautious.

I think his ball control is one of his strongest attributes and has improved on it no end. Against Arsenal in the reserves a few months ago he gave their defence a torrid time with his pace, ball control and strength. That was the first time i'd seen him since before he'd gone to Rushden and the change in his game was impressive.

He's hardly played much for the first team yet but when he has come on he's often changed the game and took the pressure off our defence who were often defending deep because of the opposition pressing for an equaliser. Against Leeds he really caused them problems and the way he holds the ball up in the corners to run time down might not sound like much but it's a job he's been asked to do and he does it well. How many times in the past few seasons have we conceded late goals that have cost us points because our players were incapable of defending properly and keeping hold of the ball in the closing stages?

He also changed the game against Luton, not only his goal but the way he chased lost causes and allowed us to push further up the park and peg Luton back who were camped in out half for most of the second half. There was one moment when a long ball was hoofed up and over O'Grady, it looked impossible to catch let alone control, but he did it and it started an attack.

He might have a long way to go to be good enough for a regular starting spot at Leicester but I get the feeling he'll do whatever it takes to prove himself and take his chance. He's an unpolished diamond, I really like the look of him but it is early days and your right to be cautious.

I agree he has been useful at holding the ball up in the late stages but I wtill wouldn't be confident of him starting a match. He is light years behind Fryatt and Hume. I think there is a tendancy amongst all supporters to beleive that if a young player is capable of doign okay then when they are older they will automatically be brilliant. It is not as simple as that.

Archived