Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bollock Head

Next season

Please don't smile :cry:

worst nightmare - can't see him playing though, can't see him drop anybody at the mo, unless perhaps stearman - who I think could do wi a couple of games out. Not cos he's not good enough, but I think his performances have dropped in the last couple of games. And as a young lad I think a couple of weeks off would do him the world of good!

Stearman? Sell him. Looks far too much like a footballer (except at near post corners). Sell him and buy anyone of military age in Danny's family :thumbup:

I think you've perhaps missed a bit of my debate with Lisa.

I was talking about the substitution on Saturday!

Hammond hasn't figured much to be fair. Whatever the reason is hasn't been made public. As for Saturday, I don't think bringing on Hammond would have made any difference; we were already putting ourselves under pressure before the substitutions were made. You already know what I believe the reasons for that to be, and don't think that going over the same ground over and over again achieves anything.

What's the matter with Hammond? He was in the squad, fit, a signed player, more than useful last time I saw him in the Reserves.
You can't equate first team football with the reserves; reserve sides are made up of young players, players returning from injury, and players who aren't quite good enough (in the opinion of those in charge). When I used to go, managers also used these fixtures to experiment with formations, but not the personnel. Entertaining as they were, you can't always gauge a player's ability in these situations. I've seen some great performances against the so-called bigger clubs and come away feeling cheated because the opposition don't seem to have tried.

You can't equate first team football with the reserves; reserve sides are made up of young players, players returning from injury, and players who aren't quite good enough (in the opinion of those in charge). When I used to go, managers also used these fixtures to experiment with formations, but not the personnel. Entertaining as they were, you can't always gauge a player's ability in these situations. I've seen some great performances against the so-called bigger clubs and come away feeling cheated because the opposition don't seem to have tried.

Manners maketh man so I'm not going to argue with a lady.

Watch Arsenal last night Thrac? A team playing 4-5-1 beat a team playing 4 "attack minded" Strikers/Wide men. A pretty good game to boot :D. Juvuentus were completely turned over in midfield as a result of playing with to much width :rolleyes:.

Just though I'd bring it up to illustrate that 4-5-1 doesn't = defeat.

It's a bit unfair all the slating that formation gets, as was proven last night if it's done properly ( midfield player getting foward and suppourting ) it can be extremly effective, and not actually that boring. Shame we have Hamill instead of Reyes and Sylla instead of Hleb.

Watch Arsenal last night Thrac? A team playing 4-5-1 beat a team playing 4 "attack minded" Strikers/Wide men. A pretty good game to boot :D. Juvuentus were completely turned over in midfield as a result of playing with to much width :rolleyes:.

It's a bit unfair all the slating that formation gets, as was proven last night if it's done properly ( midfield player getting foward and suppourting ) it can be extremly effective, and not actually that boring. Shame we have Hamill instead of Reyes and Sylla instead of Hleb.

:D:D

I bet Williams would like Fabregas's hairband aswell......................

Have already posted in General section. It was just about the best coaching video you could ever get hold of to illustrate the benefits of playing with width.

I agree with much of what you say except to point out that Arsenal's incredibly fluid version of 4-5-1 involved wearing out both flanks.

I just hope Kelly plays the video to our lads because nothing more illustrated the way I'd love Leicester to play.

It also showed the benefits of having players with attacking as well as defensive ability in all parts of the team and how much easier it is to then retain possession. There weren't many aimless hoofs into general areas or silly crosses to nowhere in particular.

And support for players on the flanks was as close as it was in midfield - brilliant.

Indeed it reminded me of the Spanish Armada in the way Arsenal's smallish, mobile players left the Juve giants looking pedestrian.

We have lots of smallish, mobile players coming through who will fit such a system well, and none more than Levi Porter if he continues to develop the necessary strength to go with his ability.

Have already posted in General section. It was just about the best coaching video you could ever get hold of to illustrate the benefits of playing with width.

I agree with everything you say here.

I just hope Kelly plays the video to our lads because nothing more illustrated the way I'd love Leicester to play.

Well they were able to get a fair bit of width due to the fact they had a three man midfield, and completely dominated the centre of the park as well as the flanks. This was at the expense of a striker, unfortuantely we dont have a Theirry Henry we can slap up front by himself, nor the wingers, nor three decent midfielders I would rely on for that matter. We dont have 30 million to buy them in either.

Due to that fact Im happy with Rob to keep things the way they are. My main problem about most of your comments regarding attacking flair and wingers are that its extremly hard to achieve, I can think of four or five teams in Europe who employ attacking flair tatics ( note attacking, not all out gung ho attacking, no one does that ) these teams also dont always pull it off, theres a time to play attacking football and a time to tighten up. People forget Juventus set their stall out to play extremly attack minded, Viera being the play maker feeding three players who I feel are out and out strikers and Camoranesi. I thought it was extremly ambitious for a European away match, and it was, they got battered beacuse of it. If your telling me if someone had shown you the formations before the match, you wouldn't of called Wenger ridicoulousy stupid for playing 4-5-1 at home, praised Capello for his daring tatics and then predicted a Juvu win I dont belive you.

In the end, you play with what you have, and best tatics for a certain game, if Kelly thinks that his current team are playing well as a unit, I dont think throwing Andy Welsh in at left wing to make us more exciting is at all needed. I think this whole debate about our style of play should be saved for the summer, you seem very eager to improve the team straight away, but remember Kelly has only been able to bring a couple of players in. He's basically doing what alot of lower league managers have to do and that is playing with a tatics that suit his limited reasources, which may or may not be he's preffered style of play.

I see your point with subs he made, but I can't blame him for trying to shut them out with a few minutes left, and Fryatt did look knackered. Just beacuse we conceaded late on this time doesn't mean the next time we try the same thing will happen next time we put the shutters up, Reading are more dominant in the league then Chelsea are in the prem. I think they would of knicked a goal any way.

I don't know about saving the debate for the summer. I feel I've learned a lot about different people's thoughts on the game - and still more after watching Arsenal last night.

And having seen that example of modern football at its best I am more than heartened by the sort of players we have coming through in our Academy and Reserve teams because that is the way they are being encouraged to play.

I don't know about saving the debate for the summer. I feel I've learned a lot about different people's thoughts on the game - and still more after watching Arsenal last night.

And having seen that example of modern football at its best I am more than heartened by the sort of players we have coming through in our Academy and Reserve teams because that is the way they are being encouraged to play.

To be fair, i'm yet to see a team able to play the same way as Arsenal do when they are in the mood. Even Barca don't come close. It's a unique style that's breath-taking to watch at times, but if we even manage to find a system that's half as entertaining as Arsenal's then i'll be a happy man.

I like the way we play in patches, we aren't the finished article and Rob can't rest on his laurels. He'll need to tweak the system and the players we've got to improve and next season is what it's all about. I think we'll have to look at both wings next season as Maybury and Hughes don't look comfortable out there to me. It's working though so perhaps as time goes on they'll marvel in their roles, although it's not as simple as it sounds I do think that if we could find just one wide player who's comfortable with the way we play then we'll improve massively for next season.

It just gives us another option. Welsh is the right sort of player. It doesn't even have to be a trademark winger, but somebody who's more effective than Maybury or Hughes, neither are able to attack on a regular basis which means alot of our effective attacking moves come from balls being played through the channels to Hume or Fryatt and their sheer quality to unlock defences.

Key Position to address

Left Back

Left Wing

Right Wing

then

Goalie

C.Mid

and then if possible

add a striker and centre def/right back

And all for under £1 you know..... :)

Only joking but getting value for money replacements is going to be a real challenge for Kelly as is offloading the excess.

The more we can look to our feeder team players the better. They are all known quantitites, both for character and ability. they are fit and they understand the City system which seems constant throughout the club, apart from the width which is used further down but not by the first team.

Some players will have to come in because there are any obvious replacements from below but it is really important that anyone who comes in is better than we already have. And we have some good supporting strikers, for instance, because I cannot imagine us buying anyone to replace Hume/Fryatt as first choice.

And all for under £1 you know..... :)

Only joking but getting value for money replacements is going to be a real challenge for Kelly as is offloading the excess.

The more we can look to our feeder team players the better. They are all known quantitites, both for character and ability. they are fit and they understand the City system which seems constant throughout the club, apart from the width which is used further down but not by the first team.

Some players will have to come in because there are any obvious replacements from below but it is really important that anyone who comes in is better than we already have. And we have some good supporting strikers, for instance, because I cannot imagine us buying anyone to replace Hume/Fryatt as first choice.

Absloutley we don't need another striker, we have Hammond rotting in the reserves for example. You have to remember come mid May Mark De Vries is going to land on the walkers doormat, with a dutch post mark and a "Return to sender" label stuck on his forhead.

Archived