Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ultra

CLASSIC MEMORIES

1) Freezing in the wind on the terraces at Roker Park. Nothing new in that - except it was the middle of August! :o

2) Heskey's double against the saints which earned our first win.

3) Claridge scoring against Sheffield Wednesday with the name on his shirt mis-spelt.

4) Skirmishing with a Forest fan at Nottingham bus station because he didn't like my FOXES top..

5) Ian Marshall's last-minute winner at Spurs in front of the Sky cameras.

6) Jamie Lawrence's flying header against Scarborough at the start of our cup run.

7) Beating the geordies 2-0, when they were top of the league and had just stuffed Man Utd 5-0.

8) Muzzy Izzet's goal to clinch victory at Villa Park.

9) Claridge's volley v. Man Utd. in the League Cup.

10) Turning down a VERY hot date in order to watch us play at Middlesbrough on a freezing Tuesday night - just as well we won! :cool:

11) Kaamark's comeback in the fog at home to Blackburn.

12) Hitchhiking in the snow to see us 1-1 on Boxing Day at Anfield.

13) Neil Lewis falling over at Leeds while taking a throw-in. We never saw him again as he went to jail the week after!

14) MON walking to the away end in pouring rain to apologise after we were hammered 3-0. Three days later, he signed Matt Elliott.

15) Being lured into a pub in Leeds city centre by the prospect of cheap beer. Only halfway through the second pint did I realise it was a gay bar... :blush:

16) Seeing fans stay behind to give Vinnie Jones stick after the Wimbledon game for having bad-mouthed Gary Lineker (who said the dons were more boring than Ceefax... :) )

17) Arriving back at 4am from Ipswich after the coach broke down.

18) Banter with Norwich fans while clubbing in town the night before the cup game.

19) Laughing at the geordies after they beat us 4-3 at their place, knowing we were on course to lift a trophy before they did (indeed, they're still waiting to this day..)

20) Coming back from 2-0 down to force a replay with Chelsea.

21) Ian Marshall's hat-trick against the sheep.

22) Chelsea away in the replay. Mike Reed. Enough said. :angry:

23) Bouncing back from the Chelsea debacle by stuffing Wimbledon 3-1.

24) Claridge's goal to complete a double over Villa.

25) Ructions between FOXES and sky blues under the railway bridge after the 0-0 draw at their place.

26) Horrendous traffic jams in London on the way to the second leg of the semi.

27) Vinnie Jones in tears after we went through to Wembley on away goals.

28) Spurs sneaking an undeserved equaliser at Filbo with a goal by Sheringham in the dying seconds

29) Heskey's last gasp equaliser against Boro at Wembley.

30) Getting totally wasted in a dodgy strip club in Kings Cross after the Arsenal game. :blush:

31) Claridge's goal against Boro in the replay.

32) Keller's save from Emerson which had the FOXES chanting "USA" with all the fervour of a 4th July parade.

33) Walshy lifting our first major trophy in 33 years.

34) More horrendous traffic jams in Sheffield after the match (like we cared... :D )

35) FOXES receiving a standing ovation from the entire Stamford Bridge crowd on the Saturday afterwards (guilty conscience perhaps? :rolleyes: )

36) Losing a six-pointer at home to the hammers, and realising the drop was still a possibility.

37) Meeting Steve Claridge at the launch of his book at Waterstones in town. He promised he wouldn't let us down, and he was as good as his word!

38) A 2-2 draw on a bright Saturday morning at home to Man Utd (Cantona's last league appearance on an away ground)

39) Elliott's late winner against Wednesday which ensured our Premiership survival and caused even the North Stand to burst into song. :o

40) Celebrating with 5000 other FOXES at Ewood Park as we beat Blackburn 4-2 to round off a truly remarkable season.

Fantastic times.

Will we ever see their like again? :unsure:

1) Freezing in the wind on the terraces at Roker Park. Nothing new in that - except it was the middle of August! :o

2) Heskey's double against the saints which earned our first win.

3) Claridge scoring against Sheffield Wednesday with the name on his shirt mis-spelt.

4) Skirmishing with a Forest fan at Nottingham bus station because he didn't like my FOXES top..

5) Ian Marshall's last-minute winner at Spurs in front of the Sky cameras.

6) Jamie Lawrence's flying header against Scarborough at the start of our cup run.

7) Beating the geordies 2-0, when they were top of the league and had just stuffed Man Utd 5-0.

8) Muzzy Izzet's goal to clinch victory at Villa Park.

9) Claridge's volley v. Man Utd. in the League Cup.

10) Turning down a VERY hot date in order to watch us play at Middlesbrough on a freezing Tuesday night - just as well we won! :cool:

11) Kaamark's comeback in the fog at home to Blackburn.

12) Hitchhiking in the snow to see us 1-1 on Boxing Day at Anfield.

13) Neil Lewis falling over at Leeds while taking a throw-in. We never saw him again as he went to jail the week after!

14) MON walking to the away end in pouring rain to apologise after we were hammered 3-0. Three days later, he signed Matt Elliott.

15) Being lured into a pub in Leeds city centre by the prospect of cheap beer. Only halfway through the second pint did I realise it was a gay bar... :blush:

16) Seeing fans stay behind to give Vinnie Jones stick after the Wimbledon game for having bad-mouthed Gary Lineker (who said the dons were more boring than Ceefax... :) )

17) Arriving back at 4am from Ipswich after the coach broke down.

18) Banter with Norwich fans while clubbing in town the night before the cup game.

19) Laughing at the geordies after they beat us 4-3 at their place, knowing we were on course to lift a trophy before they did (indeed, they're still waiting to this day..)

20) Coming back from 2-0 down to force a replay with Chelsea.

21) Ian Marshall's hat-trick against the sheep.

22) Chelsea away in the replay. Mike Reed. Enough said. :angry:

23) Bouncing back from the Chelsea debacle by stuffing Wimbledon 3-1.

24) Claridge's goal to complete a double over Villa.

25) Ructions between FOXES and sky blues under the railway bridge after the 0-0 draw at their place.

26) Horrendous traffic jams in London on the way to the second leg of the semi.

27) Vinnie Jones in tears after we went through to Wembley on away goals.

28) Spurs sneaking an undeserved equaliser at Filbo with a goal by Sheringham in the dying seconds

29) Heskey's last gasp equaliser against Boro at Wembley.

30) Getting totally wasted in a dodgy strip club in Kings Cross after the Arsenal game. :blush:

31) Claridge's goal against Boro in the replay.

32) Keller's save from Emerson which had the FOXES chanting "USA" with all the fervour of a 4th July parade.

33) Walshy lifting our first major trophy in 33 years.

34) More horrendous traffic jams in Sheffield after the match (like we cared... :D )

35) FOXES receiving a standing ovation from the entire Stamford Bridge crowd on the Saturday afterwards (guilty conscience perhaps? :rolleyes: )

36) Losing a six-pointer at home to the hammers, and realising the drop was still a possibility.

37) Meeting Steve Claridge at the launch of his book at Waterstones in town. He promised he wouldn't let us down, and he was as good as his word!

38) A 2-2 draw on a bright Saturday morning at home to Man Utd (Cantona's last league appearance on an away ground)

39) Elliott's late winner against Wednesday which ensured our Premiership survival and caused even the North Stand to burst into song. :o

40) Celebrating with 5000 other FOXES at Ewood Park as we beat Blackburn 4-2 to round off a truly remarkable season.

Fantastic times.

Will we ever see their like again? :unsure:

It just brings a lump too my throat thinking, especially in such detail.

(41) Cutting my face on my dads jacket as we went nuts for the Steve Walsh 95th minute goal v arsenal.

(42) Elliots 81st minute goal against Sheffield Wednesday and the whole ground chanting WE ARE STAYING UP

(43) My first away match ever at Villa Park

(44) Simon Grayson with that cross at against Wimbledon in extra time that we scored from. he had a great year.

:ermm: That was the season after, when we drew 3-3.

Oh yeah it was at the start of the 9798 season. I remember I was workign at Graypaul in Loughborugh and I went in the next day looking like I'd been in a fight....

My bad.

(41) Cutting my face on my dads jacket as we went nuts for the Steve Walsh 95th minute goal v arsenal.

(42) Elliots 81st minute goal against Sheffield Wednesday and the whole ground chanting WE ARE STAYING UP

(43) My first away match ever at Villa Park

(44) Simon Grayson with that cross at against Wimbledon in extra time that we scored from. he had a great year.

I remember Izzet was suspended for that game and he was sitting right near me that game (Lennon might have been aswell?) and when we all started chanting, Izzet and co joined in and were going nuts. Awesome.

Ah, you played - good flick on then!! :D

D'oh my bad again - you are right. Hazy memory. Simon Grayson was great that year.

Flair - at that wednesday match I was sat on the first row of the upper tier of the carling stand - by the North stand. A load of injured players & reserves had a box below us and were going nuts when we scored. Cant remember who it was now.... That was great though :cry:

I remember Izzet was suspended for that game and he was sitting right near me that game (Lennon might have been aswell?) and when we all started chanting, Izzet and co joined in and were going nuts. Awesome.

:cry: Why are happy memories so depressing? <_<

Was that the match the made it mathematically certain we were stayin up?

what a boring season :P

That westham match was my first game you know, 10 years ago. Time flies.

What a great season. It was my first season too. I got into football after Euro 96'. That was a great competition too. 96/97 were two great years for England and Leicester. :cool:

Don't remember much about that season apart from the Cup Final, but reading those memories it sounds like we were close to being relegated? Didn't we finish 9th?

We did finish 9th, we weren'y officially safe until we beat Sheff Wed.

Cracking season, just sad I couldn't go to Hillsbrough :(

I sampled the 'delights' of a night in Whitley Bay for the first, and thankfully, last time after that game. Had I removed my top and trousers, I still would have been over-dressed. :o

(Cue the "Lad's Night Out in Whitley Bay".......)

Number 6 - Lawrence's flying header. Top Quality. He knocked himself out in the process and was probably out cold when he scored!

Gave a classic interview after the game too.

In Hong Kong I watched highlights of that season and the 4 before it as well as the Palace p/o final :)

Archived