Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Glad we didn't end up with

FFS, what do people expect at this stage of the season, a late charge for the play-offs? Judge Kelly next season, not when after 15 games at the back end of a naff season, or whatever it is!

Cheers Lass

Anyway, this thread is about not having Billy Davies as manager, and i think davieG is correct. I couldn't bear to watch that dross constantly, even though i wouldn't mind being in the position that they are in. ;)

FFS, what do people expect at this stage of the season, a late charge for the play-offs? Judge Kelly next season, not when after 15 games at the back end of a naff season, or whatever it is!

You think some of these people will give him 15 games lisa? I think that's pretty optimistic myself.

After Kellys first game in charge against Southampton there were quite a few people ready to hang him and not give him a chance. I would bet the same people are waiting for him to get some bad results so they can tell us how correct they were.

If things weren't going well I would say he had 8 games before they start their Kelly out campaingns.

You think some of these people will give him 15 games lisa? I think that's pretty optimistic myself.

After Kellys first game in charge against Southampton there were quite a few people ready to hang him and not give him a chance. I would bet the same people are waiting for him to get some bad results so they can tell us how correct they were.

If things weren't going well I would say he had 8 games before they start their Kelly out campaingns.

He won't be given 15 games next season because that will hopefully be with a squad of his choice, not an inherited one. Although the signs aren't looking too promising with such negative comments after the amazing turnaround he has produced along with Stowell and only 4 losses since they took over :mad:

I suppose I'm far too naive Babs, I mean, a squad that was flirting with relegation only a few weeks ago must surely be capable of turnaround of the century?

We all know that there are weaknesses, we all know what these weaknesses are, and this includes Kelly, but what did people realistically expect? The deadline signings of Lampard, Terry and Henry? Promotion?

I suppose I'm far too naive Babs, I mean, a squad that was flirting with relegation only a few weeks ago must surely be capable of turnaround of the century?

We all know that there are weaknesses, we all know what these weaknesses are, and this includes Kelly, but what did people realistically expect? The deadline signings of Lampard, Terry and Henry? Promotion?

You mean we aren't getting them in the summer??? Kelly out.

Cheers Lass

Anyway, this thread is about not having Billy Davies as manager, and i think davieG is correct. I couldn't bear to watch that dross constantly, even though i wouldn't mind being in the position that they are in. ;)

I must agree,Davies's Preston are effective but that's where it stops,they hardly score any goals either,I think they've drawn 0-0 around 10 times this season which says it all!

I must agree,Davies's Preston are effective but that's where it stops,they hardly score any goals either,I think they've drawn 0-0 around 10 times this season which says it all!

Who is your manager at the moment? I miss Megson :(

People have no problem with others critisising Thracian. We all know about the problems at set pieces and the midfield isn't strong enough.

What gets up people noses are comments like "not sure Rob Kelly knows what it takes to succeed in this division". Well nobody on here knows for sure, but lets look at the facts and they are the number of points we have picked up under him. That says to me he is doing something correct.

Preston along with ourselves were the form team in the league, so for people to be ready to lable him Levein mk II (once again) it's going to piss people off.

The other thing that gets up peoples noses about critisisms is certain posters thinking they have to tell us over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again!!!! Until it gets to the point where people are just telling them to stop moaning, they then think that you aren't allowed to critisise any more.

1. Kelly has been in charge of 15 games, maybe not even that. We have left the relegation zone and are now safe. I think thats considerable success in the time that he has achieved that, and especially looking at the good teams we've played. When he took over, i thought we were doomed. We're not.

2. Why should they be ashamed? We lost, but we can still applaud them if we want to. I'm not going to stop applauding my team just because someone says so. Its not like we lost to a team like Brighton at home, then we could Boo. Like the Preston fan just said, several teams have commented on how good they are. And they are an extremely 'proffesional' and 'well organised' outfit.

3. The set pieces arguement is a difficult thing to answer for. Except that our team is very small in stature and we have no height at all. For their goal yesterday, we had Kisnorbo and Gerrbrand marking their two big centre halfs, Johansson marking Ageymang, leaving no other tall players to mark Jarrett who nodded in the flick on. All i'm saying is we have no height, which will be a big problem at both ends of the pitch, and is effectively why we are leaking goals and not scoring any from set pieces.

Are you mad? 2 losses in a row is not going to cause some fans to chant 'Kelly Out', after what he's already achieved, unless they are seriously deluded. :rolleyes:

Agreed with these boys 100%.

A very interesting insight into yesterdays game,confirming the impression I came away with that we had been beaten tactically as well as physically.It just shows how far we have to go and acts as a wake up call to all of us who were starting to get carried away with our prospects for next season.

Didn't see too much cheating and time wasting from Preston... I mean other than the usual amount. They seemed very on edge towards the end, hence the number of bookings. But other than that slow jog for the sub I wasn't too bothered.

I did smile to myself listening to Kelly coming back on the radio, as his interview was very much like some of the interviews Levein gave after defeats and was slaughtered for (not by me), saying we played well when we didn't, saying we had this many chances compared to the number that they had etc.

I wouldn't blame Kelly for the performance today though, he did the same as he's always done and what he got appointed for doing, there is no point in complaining now! The first half was fairly competitive, and you could say that the two goals coming when they did would have shaken any team after being 1-0 up, even in mid-season with something to play for. However the response from the players afterwards was pretty spineless (with certain omissions of course, Johansson and Fryatt did particularly well all game) and reflected the 'end of season' feel that we were promised wouldn't come into the game. That is concerning, but only really worrying if it continues into the next three games - this could just be a blip due to a lapse of concentration and Preston wanting it more - hopefully the players will have been given another kick up the backside today and will realise what they have to do for the rest of the season.

While Kelly doesn't like to change sides, I personally feel now that we really need to give some of the fringe, young and (yes) even Tiatto a go in the side. They at least will have something to play for*. Kelly had the

best of intentions in sticking with the 'main' team, but I feel like they’ve run out of petrol now and it's time for us to see some eagerness at the end of the season, and not just a slow petering out of all Kelly's good work.

* I don’t mean a complete change. Keep Henderson, Kisnorbo, McCarthy (when back), Gudjonsson, Williams, Fryatt and Hume (ie the spine) and have the rest of the spots up for grabs.

I suppose if you didn' t notice their spoiling tactics that shows how well they did it. It was pronounced,

incredibly effective and was employed for longer than any team I've known. I would never ever want that manager anywhere near a team I supported.

Kelly was rightly criticised for that abyssmal display against Southampton. Indeed I am still not convinced the club, being in such a precarious League position actually wanted to win the game and certainly nothing the players did on the day suggests they did.

Fair enough so long as they say so because what I resented was being conned into imagining I was going to watch a football match, in other words, two teams genuinely doing all they could to win.

If you believe that performance had anything praiseworthy about it, fair enough. All that amounts to is a difference of opinion because I didn't.

Because our results have been so terrible under him.

FFS. You may as well start chanting for his head not along with the other morons who don't give a manager more than 5 minutes.

As one who has vociferously campaigned for Kelly to get the manager's job long term I'd say that criticism is better early than too late.

Regarding yesterday, I've no real problem with what happened. I could write a litany of criticism but the match was of no real consequence and Kelly did the right things to try and rescue the situation eventually. Tomorrow's match is of no consequence either and I'd far rather we lose this year and get our own back next year when it might well matter.

My hope was that we would use the last few games for experimental purposes (as regards system and players) but that is clearly not going to happen so, really, the remainder of the season is an anti-climax. I'm more interested now in whether the Academy X1 can clinch their title.

As one who has vociferously campaigned for Kelly to get the manager's job long term I'd say that criticism is better early than too late.

Regarding yesterday, I've no real problem with what happened. I could write a litany of criticism but the match was of no real consequence and Kelly did the right things to try and rescue the situation eventually. Tomorrow's match is of no consequence either and I'd far rather we lose this year and get our own back next year when it might well matter.

My hope was that we would use the last few games for experimental purposes (as regards system and players) but that is clearly not going to happen so, really, the remainder of the season is an anti-climax. I'm more interested now in whether the Academy X1 can clinch their title.

Yesterday was a typical end of season game and although we were crap i wasn't that bothered was heading for the exit well before the final whistle. Whether we get into the play off's will depend on who we bring in and where we are after 10 to 15 games next season.

1. Kelly has been in charge of 15 games, maybe not even that. We have left the relegation zone and are now safe. I think thats considerable success in the time that he has achieved that, and especially looking at the good teams we've played. When he took over, i thought we were doomed. We're not.

He has been rewarded, and deservedly so, for the job he's done in keeping us up. However the question is now whether he can take things a stage further and build a side capable of giving us better results next season. On yesterday's evidence this must be in doubt

2. Why should they be ashamed? We lost, but we can still applaud them if we want to. I'm not going to stop applauding my team just because someone says so. Its not like we lost to a team like Brighton at home, then we could Boo. Like the Preston fan just said, several teams have commented on how good they are. And they are an extremely 'proffesional' and 'well organised' outfit.

If you're not bothered about quality you might as well save your pennies and watch park football. If you ARE bothered, you should demand a little more quality than was evident yesterday and indeed far too many times at home matches in recent seasons. Adams and Levein were rightly slated when their teams produced poor results and Kelly should be no different.

3. The set pieces arguement is a difficult thing to answer for. Except that our team is very small in stature and we have no height at all. For their goal yesterday, we had Kisnorbo and Gerrbrand marking their two big centre halfs, Johansson marking Ageymang, leaving no other tall players to mark Jarrett who nodded in the flick on. All i'm saying is we have no height, which will be a big problem at both ends of the pitch, and is effectively why we are leaking goals and not scoring any from set pieces.

This is a flaw which a lot of teams have already sussed out. Unless we deal with it (especially when McCarthy's out), we will struggle.

Producing results in a 12-15 game spell is no problem. Effective sides, however, do so over a whole season. That's why Preston are where they are, even though in terms of technical ability their side is no better than ours.

Are you mad? 2 losses in a row is not going to cause some fans to chant 'Kelly Out', after what he's already achieved, unless they are seriously deluded. :rolleyes:

Nobody is suggesting they will. Most fans have been incredibly patient with previous managers and will be so again with RK. We all want him to succeed. But there's no guarantee that he will.

I always knew Preston would be a tough game - you only have to look at their record this season. 6 defeats and 28 goals conceded in 43 games, it is testament to what Billy Davies has done up there.

Although I remember when we drew 0-0 with them up at Deepdale earlier this season, and a number of their fans wanted him out. How silly they must feel now.

You could quite clearly see how well drilled Preston were. We got off to a great start, and Fryatt should have slipped through Skills for the second (How the hell did he get up there?) which perhaps would have wrapped up the game.

Unfortunately, Preston scored at the right times, and I think it psychologically hit us.

Some aspects of the performance reminded me of Levein's time here, but I think perhaps the fact we're safe allowed the players to ease mentally.

Hmmmm I wonder why this is??? It couldn't be because our star striker has been constantly battling with broken bones, german viruses or a case of 'post season play off disaster???' :o Or could it be because the majority of teams who come to deepdale ...TIME WASTE, SIT BEHIND THE BALL FOR 90 MINUTES, PLAY LONG BALL FOOTBALL or USE ANY TACTIC POSSIBLE TO FRUSTRATE??? :whistle: You sense a common theme here? :ermm:

However, free-scoring Forest are a clear indication of what an attacking team should be and the 'massive' 61 goals obviously underlines this? :P Pity you couldn't keep many clean sheets!

You caught us on a bad day Leicester, whereas Luton, Reading, Watford, Crystal Palace, Norwich, Millwall and Coventry must have caught us on a good day? I suppose a first team squad of 26, with 8 of those who are currently long term injured, it is quite an achievement to have achieved the position we are in and hopefully we will give the watching public a decent final.

Yeah I was hoping for this too, and it seems the perfect chance for Kelly to asses whether or not he should be keeping some fringe squad players; although I believe this is the reason why Sylla has played the end of the past two games. Alan Sheehan is a perfect example, if he is played in the remaining games Kelly can see if he is ready to take a more active role supported by Nissa (and maybe Brevet) or if we need to buy a left back.

Still I'm sure he knows what he's doing and I eagerly await new arrivals and next season.

Hmmmm I wonder why this is??? It couldn't be because our star striker has been constantly battling with broken bones, german viruses or a case of 'post season play off disaster???' :o Or could it be because the majority of teams who come to deepdale ...TIME WASTE, SIT BEHIND THE BALL FOR 90 MINUTES, PLAY LONG BALL FOOTBALL or USE ANY TACTIC POSSIBLE TO FRUSTRATE??? :whistle: You sense a common theme here? :ermm:

However, free-scoring Forest are a clear indication of what an attacking team should be and the 'massive' 61 goals obviously underlines this? :P Pity you couldn't keep many clean sheets!

You caught us on a bad day Leicester, whereas Luton, Reading, Watford, Crystal Palace, Norwich, Millwall and Coventry must have caught us on a good day? I suppose a first team squad of 26, with 8 of those who are currently long term injured, it is quite an achievement to have achieved the position we are in and hopefully we will give the watching public a decent final.

Ah ha, that's where you learn it from then. Explains alot.

I love it when fans are gracious in victory.....

Get off yer high-horse. You think you've got it bad, trying having a squad of 14 with no frigging money to do anything about it. Then come on here and moan about hard done by you are.

I love it when fans are gracious in victory.....

Get off yer high-horse. You think you've got it bad, trying having a squad of 14 with no frigging money to do anything about it. Then come on here and moan about hard done by you are.

I am often gracious in victory however I am more gracious in defeat (which is far harder).

You speak of no money? so how did you sign Hume and Fryatt over ourselves, who incidently couldn't compete with your wage structure!!!

In response to magicTV - It would appear we do learn some of these characteristics of away teams who come to frustrate, not unlike Leicester City who came to Deepdale and sat behind the ball for 90 minutes creating a very dull game, so I suppose you could say 'what goes around comes around'? This isn't new in football for an away team to play a containing frustrating game because believe me we have seen it in 90% of our home games, from the away team, so why should we be any different?

Anyhow good luck with your game today.

Incidently, Fryatt was excellent.

Archived