Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lineker's Left Foot

Any chance of City 'snapping up' a World Cup bargain ?

Just wondering, now that the World Cup is approaching, do you think that City are likely to pick up any potential players from the 'lesser nations' like Saudi Arabia or Tunisia???

I feel there's always some good bargains to be had there, although work-permits obviously maybe a problem.

Anybody got any ideas on potential signings??

Maybe somebody from the German side because apart from Ballack, Lehmann, Deisler and Schweinsteiger I can't really recognise anybody else??? :huh:

Just wondering, now that the World Cup is approaching, do you think that City are likely to pick up any potential players from the 'lesser nations' like Saudi Arabia or Tunisia???

I feel there's always some good bargains to be had there, although work-permits obviously maybe a problem.

Maybe somebody from the German side because apart from Ballack, Lehmann, Deisler and Schweinsteiger I can't really recognise anybody else??? :huh:

we cant afford any players who are going to be in the world cup, especially Germany.

we cant afford any players who are going to be in the world cup, especially Germany.

Don't even think about it. It's evil and brings bad luck. :mrgreen:. Although Steffen Freund had some positive impact on the team a few years back, but only for a couple of games before he left again.

Why not picking up a Swiss player? Very promising, excellent youth training system and highly adaptable in new surroundings. Can speak English very well (mostly).

I'm really asking myself why we don't see more of those youngsters in the Championship. Even the U.S.A. have more players in England right now.

Why not Reto Ziegler, for instance? Now at Hamburger SV in Germany, he played for Tottenham and did pretty well.

And if you need a great goalkeeper, get Marcel Herzog from my local team FC Schaffhausen. He's awesome, only 25 years old and his contract's run out at the end of this season (e.g. right now).

Don't even think about it. It's evil and brings bad luck. :mrgreen:. Although Steffen Freund had some positive impact on the team a few years back, but only for a couple of games before he left again.

Why not picking up a Swiss player? Very promising, excellent youth training system and highly adaptable in new surroundings. Can speak English very well (mostly).

I'm really asking myself why we don't see more of those youngsters in the Championship. Even the U.S.A. have more players in England right now.

Why not Reto Ziegler, for instance? Now at Hamburger SV in Germany, he played for Tottenham and did pretty well.

And if you need a great goalkeeper, get Marcel Herzog from my local team FC Schaffhausen. He's awesome, only 25 years old and his contract's run out at the end of this season (e.g. right now).

Reto Ziegler is already much too high profile.. In fact, I'd say the whole team is... Wouldn't mind Streller or Barnetta though :P

Maybe USAs Oguchi Onyewo's within our reach... I've heard good things about him.

How about Kahn, Huth, Metzelder, Lahm, Frings, Hitzlsperger, Klose, Podolski. lol. Theres a few.

If Kelly sees someone he likes, then im all for it, so long as we dont pay over the odds just because they played in the world cup!

Salif Diao? He was a real World Cup hero.

I really can't see it happening in our current predicament. Agents are hardly going to call Rob Kelly in the knowledge that we can afford megabucks wages for such-and-such.

Gambling on World Cup flash-in-the-pans seems a bit wreckless to be honest. We'll be looking for free-transfers at home - those we know more about.

Reto Ziegler is already much too high profile.. In fact, I'd say the whole team is... Wouldn't mind Streller or Barnetta though :P

Maybe USAs Oguchi Onyewo's within our reach... I've heard good things about him.

Onyewu - No chance of getting him, as much as i would like us to. Would cost about $2-3 million probably. Also, why would he give up European football to play at Leicester? He will end up at a middling premiership club like Man City.

The answer is no.

We spoke to Rob Kelly after the Westerby Cup Final & this question came up in conversation.

He isn't scouting at the tournament & doesn't believe many signings made on the strength of performances in such a tournament have proved successful in this country.

The thing is, players going to the World cup will have a higher transfer value put on them by the clubs just with the fact they are an internatinal player. So to be honest, its not worth it in the end. You might as well buy someone else for the same amount of money and they are more likely to have a better track record of playing in the Championship. Also, it might be better of scouting/studying last seasons stats and seeing who played well in this league and League 1 rather than looking at the World Cup where the football is completly different!!

The thing is, players going to the World cup will have a higher transfer value put on them by the clubs just with the fact they are an internatinal player. So to be honest, its not worth it in the end. You might as well buy someone else for the same amount of money and they are more likely to have a better track record of playing in the Championship. Also, it might be better of scouting/studying last seasons stats and seeing who played well in this league and League 1 rather than looking at the World Cup where the football is completly different!!

The lower leagues is where we should be looking anyway and Gareth Mcauley from Lincoln would be a good signing from what i've heard about him.

The lower leagues is where we should be looking anyway and Gareth Mcauley from Lincoln would be a good signing from what i've heard about him.

Agreed! Look at Hume and Fryatt! Lets not forget that its where signed Lennon, Elliott and Savage from aswell as others!!

Agreed! Look at Hume and Fryatt! Lets not forget that its where signed Lennon, Elliott and Savage from aswell as others!!

And Chelsea once got a Leicester bloke from Southend for £100,000 five minutes after he'd played for Loughborough United in the Midland League and he went on to play centre-forward in the top division with the likes of Peter Osgood, Charlie George, Charlie Cooke, Chopper Harris. Perhaps his most memorable game was being instrumental in the 1977/78 FA Cup defeat of European Champins Liverpool.

There are players out there. They just need opportunity, motivation and someone to use them properly.

Especially if a club has got good coaches. It's no more a risky than buying people with limited talent and a shitty attitude from the top Leagues and we've had a few of them in recent years.

And Chelsea once got a Leicester bloke from Southend for £100,000 five minutes after he'd played for Loughborough United in the Midland League and he went on to play centre-forward in the top division with the likes of Peter Osgood, Charlie George, Charlie Cooke, Chopper Harris. Perhaps his most memorable game was being instrumental in the 1977/78 FA Cup defeat of European Champins Liverpool.

There are players out there. They just need opportunity, motivation and someone to use them properly.

Especially if a club has got good coaches. It's no more a risky than buying people with limited talent and a shitty attitude from the top Leagues and we've had a few of them in recent years.

Well with that new scout we've got, hopefully there is something for the future??!!

Archived