Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dandannieldanok

De Vries Class

it's amazing what confidence can do!!

IMO and many people will no doubt disagree but I really think the BOO BOYS got to MDV and we never have and never will see what he was really capable of! from watching his interviews on LCFC World he always came over as an honest but pretty nervous person and it can't be nice for anyone to be booed on and off the pitch every week it's gonna have a negative effect on you sooner or later

it's amazing what confidence can do!!

IMO and many people will no doubt disagree but I really think the BOO BOYS got to MDV and we never have and never will see what he was really capable of! from watching his interviews on LCFC World he always came over as an honest but pretty nervous person and it can't be nice for anyone to be booed on and off the pitch every week it's gonna have a negative effect on you sooner or later

I agree he is constantly smiling in the vid and is revelling in the fans joy

1st goal was awful keeping, straight at him. Second was taken well but if your not scoreing them you should be worried, Third... well you have to give De Vries Credit he may lack pace but he has got good feet, good finish but as always he's finishing is always 50/50.

For me the most concerning thing about the video is the amount of headers he won, and how dangerous they were! He's second goal and the other two goals were all set up by MDV flick ons.

My thoughts are:

a) We could send the video out to all prospective purchasers and it ought to help us get shut.

b) He looks much less fit now than he did then.

c) A problem with playing MDV was that, like with Dublin, we always resorted to hoofing the ball forward towards him thus invariably squandering possession and losing forward momentum.

d) He doesn't fit our young/hungry profile requirements and O'Grady/Dodds/Chambers/Hammond represent greater potential asset value on the bench.

e) You can only score against the opposition of the day but the defending was school playground stuff with Hibs, presumably, taking risks in chasing the game.

f) The money we spend on him could probably be better used.

g) He would probably only be useful to us would be in a fluid 4-3-3 system (ironically a system I believe we should consider with our expected personnel) and then only if he was prepared to start on the bench (which is probably unlikely). Even then I'd have reservations.

I think we should give him more credit, we wouldn't complain if he had done that all of last season

Show me a striker who scores 4 goals EVERY game.

Of course we wouldn't have complained.

Look how he did for us - shite. That's why we complained.

If you look at the defending for all the goals, it is atrocious. He is consistently not picked up by the Hibs defenders and so always has plenty of time and space.

Agreed, just what I was thinking.

The first goal was good control and a smart finish, but he had loads of space.

The second was a tap in, again unmarked and he could hardly miss.

The third was a decent goal, although again he was left unmarked with loads of space. He turned the defender well (although not really that difficult, and he's done the same turn at Leicester on many an occasion) and the keeper went to ground a bit too easily.

The fourth goal was a header, but he wasn't really challenged in the air. Plus the header had no pace on it and didn't even go in the corner, so I'd say the keeper should've done better.

Overall I wouldn't get carried away based on those goals, shocking defending all round. And Levein thought that the Championship was a lower standard than SPL :rolleyes:

Dont know whether any of you are interested but i've dug this video out from the archives of De Vries's Hearts debut

2 things, wouldnt mark been better off playing santa as a career before he came here (weight increase). Was that craig levein with two arms raised and a coat hanger in his mouth, never seen him like that ;)

Archived