Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Matt Elliott Legend 3

Can remember elliots debut at Newcastle when he scored and we lost 4-3(?) in the last min due to a Shearer free kick after being 3-0 up.

Also his penalties where he just blasted it in the middle, never felt confident with him takings penalties though :P

Can remember elliots debut at Newcastle when he scored and we lost 4-3(?) in the last min due to a Shearer free kick after being 3-0 up.

Also his penalties where he just blasted it in the middle, never felt confident with him takings penalties though :P

His debut was actually two weeks earlier, against Wimbledon.

You're right about his penalties though. He missed one against Cov in a cup tie and I don't think he took any more after that.

image.gifELLIOTT_Matt_20020223_MM_L.jpg

ELLIOTT_Matt_20000924_NF_L.jpg

ELLIOTT_Matt_20020223_MM_L.jpg

If I remember rightly the damage to Matty's right hand in the picture was caused by a fight with Walshy, must have been fun around the club at that time.

Don't think so. The kit shows that the picture was taken in 2001, after Walshy had left the club.

Good myth though... lol

Walshy ran off to Spain with Matty's wife in 2001 (after he had left the club).

• 1 year later...

Matty Elliott... A city Legend i have to say... he was great.... He was what we needed at the time following on from mr walsh.... i loved the elliott and taggart partnership.....

Elliott, was attracting a lot of interest from bigger clubs when he was bang on form....

But it all went down hill when age and injuries crept in...

Will always be remembered as one of our better defenders in recent years.....

• 4 years later...

OS

Fifteen years ago this week, on 16 January 1997, Leicester City broke their Club transfer record by paying Oxford United £1.6 million to secure the services of central defender Matt Elliott, who went on to become one of the truly great players of the Martin O'Neill era. Two days later he made his Leicester debut, and became an instant crowd favourite.

When Matt signed, Leicester were in their first season back in the Premier League, following Steve Claridge's dramatic winner against Crystal Palace four seconds from the end on extra-time, in the previous season's Play -Off Final.

By New Year, 1997, the Foxes were holding their own in the top division, but were only three points off the relegation places.

O'Neill was building his team around players like Keller, Lennon, Izzet and Heskey but, assessing his team's performance at the halfway stage of the season, he told the press that he needed some new faces as soon as possible. The Board backed him, saying that the Club was at the start of the next phase of development now that they were in the Premier League. As a result of these pronouncements, the Leicester Mercury was expecting a spending spree. Matt's record signing seemed to indicate that this might have started.

0,,10274~10398112,00.jpg

Martin O'Neill shows off new signing Matt Elliott in 1997.

Matt Elliott was 28 when he signed for Leicester. Nothing in his career to date, playing in the lower divisions for the likes of Torquay, Scunthorpe and Oxford, seemed to indicate that he would become a top Premiership defender and a Scottish international within a year of moving to Leicester. However, O'Neill had seen great potential in Matt, who had been Oxford's Player of the Year the previous season, when they had been promoted to the second tier.

O'Neill had to use his powers of persuasion to get Matt to come to Leicester. Premiership rivals Southampton, managed by Graeme Souness, were also keen. O'Neill said that to persuade Elliott to sign, he had promised Matt that he "was going to get another half-a-dozen players in". He also said that he had signed Matt to strengthen a squad that "is unquestionably one of the weakest in this Premiership of ours". He felt that Matt would have a big part to play:

"He may not be a fantastically big name. But then again I can recall a few of you singing 'Muzzy who?' on that fateful day in March when Izzet made his debut against Sheffield United. By some standards, £1.6 million may not be an awful amount of money. It is to Leicester City and it is to me, because it is the biggest I have ever paid for a player."

0,,10274~10398111,00.jpg

Elliott celebrates one of his League Cup Final goals with Emile Heskey in 2000.

Elliott was impressed by O'Neill. He explained his choice to come to Leicester rather than go to Southampton by saying: "It came down to a choice between Southampton and Leicester and the main factor was the enthusiasm of Leicester's manager. There were other things but it came down to his powers of persuasion and I'm happy I've made the right choice."

Two days later, Matt made his debut in the home match against Joe Kinnear's Wimbledon. The Dons were fifth in the Premier League, having lost only one of their previous 21 games. They were a big and physical side, but Matt was more than equal to the task.

His debut was a great success. He was as solid as a rock. His impact stretched beyond his own contribution. He gave an air of solidarity to the defence and confidence to those around him. The Mercury commented that Elliott's arrival "appeared to have an improving effect on (fellow central defender) Prior as they formed a hearteningly strong partnership".

Leicester won 1-0 with Heskey scoring in the 74th minute. O'Neill was pleased, particularly as the Club's game at Elland Road the previous week had been Leicester's worst display of the season. Of his record signing, he said: "Matt did brilliantly, all that I could have asked of him. He did make one mistake in the second half, but otherwise he was magnificent!"

0,,10274~10398110,00.jpg

Elliott wins a challenge with Manchester United's Dwight Yorke at Old Trafford.

When he signed Elliott, O'Neil said: "How successful an investment it will prove to be only time will tell." Time did tell. Subsequent events certainly indicated Elliott's signing was a superb investment.

Matt went on to make nearly 300 appearances for Leicester. He was the lynchpin of the Leicester side which finished ninth in the Premier League in his first season, although he was ineligible for the 1997 League Cup winning side as he was cup-tied, having played for Oxford in the League Cup earlier in the season.

Three more consecutive top-ten Premier League finishes followed, as did two more League Cup Finals and UEFA Cup football. Matt's two goals in the League Cup Final of 2000 will live long in the memory of those who saw them. Matt played more games for Leicester than anyone in this period. He only missed four single games until O'Neill left in the summer of 2000. In addition he won 18 Scotland caps.

This tremendous success, which came relatively late in Matt's career, was all triggered by his signing for Leicester City 15 years ago this week.

• 1 month later...

Watching that second goal at Wembley (in what I'm sure was my Dad's first ever football match - I'd been to a couple of Woking matches already, but hadn't yet seen the mighty foxes) made me splooge everywhere: Matt Elliot made me a man at the age of 10. I've been sexually awkward ever since. Thanks Matt!

• 9 months later...

In an era when football matches are a constant part of life, cup fixtures still bring that little extra sparkle to the minds of players and fans alike. In the Capital One Cup this season, that sparkle has often translated into goal-scoring frenzies, and on the odd, special occasions, it produces a memorable solo performance from a player who may not always be the centre of attention. In this series, FFC takes a look at some stellar one-man displays…

The peak of Matt Elliott`s career came in the 2000 League Cup Final when his two goals in the 2-1 victory over Tranmere Rovers not only earned him his place in Leicester City folklore but also in Wembley history.

It was the first time since the final became a one-off game that a centre half scored twice. It remains a record and because it was the last League Cup Final before Wembley was bulldozed, it is one that will always belong to Matt Elliott.

It was City`s third final in four years and their second in a row and Matt`s goals were almost identical. Just short of the half hour, Leicester won a corner and when Steve Guppy swung the ball in Elliott rose, near the penalty spot and powered a header goalwards. The ball struck the bar, bounced down on the line and spun into the goal to give Martin O`Neill`s team the lead.

Tranmere equalised in the 77th minute through former Leicester player David Kelly. His near post shot not only gave the First Division underdogs hope but was Kelly`s eighth goal of that competition and saw him finish top scorer in the 1999-2000 League Cup.

Rovers` joy was short lived however, and it was almost a case of de ja vu four minutes later when Guppy swung another corner in and his skipper rose, on the six yard box, to head his second goal.

Matt led Leicester up the steps to become the last League Cup winners at the original Wembley. He also picked up the Man of the Match Award to cap the best day of his career.

Born in Wandsworth, London, Matt began his football career in non-league with Leatherhead and Epsom and Newell before joining Charlton Athletic in 1988.Unable to break through at the Valley, Matt dropped down the football pyramid to Torquay United. After three seasons at Plainmoor he joined Scunthorpe and spent just 18 months there before he made the move to Oxford United. Matt`s performances in Oxford`s run to promotion as runners-up in the Second Division in 1996 finally gave Matt his dream of Premier League football.

Leicester City manager Martin O`Neill paid £1.6 million for the defender early the following year and that remains the highest transfer fee received by Oxford. Matt helped Leicester to reach the 1999 League Cup Final but they were beaten 1-0 by Tottenham. But the following year City returned to win the competition against Tranmere.

That final proved to be Martin O`Neill`s swansong as he departed for Celtic and could have been Elliott`s too as O`Neill immediately tried to sign his former skipper for £3.5 million. Elliot however, agreed a new contract with Leicester where he remained until 2005.

The end of his career was accelerated by a serious knee injury though he still managed a brief loan spell with Ipswich before quitting in January 2005.

Though born in England, Matt was eligible to play for Scotland and made his international debut against France in November 1997. In total he won 18 caps, 16 as a starter, and scored one goal, a header against San Marino on 7th October 2000 in a 2-0 win.

In 2008 Matt began a short career in non-league football and had several assistant manager jobs before opening the Matt Elliott Football Development Scheme in Leicestershire in 2011.

Apologies if there is already a thread on this but I couldn't see one?

http://www.footballfancast.com/the-league-cup/career-defining-goals-leicester-citys-matt-elliott

I was fortunate to be just the right age to enjopy the MON era and was at Uni during the end of his reign. I always loved Matty and he is still one of my top 3 players. reading this made me feel good inside. What a day!

Come on you Foxes!

X

I'll probably get slaughtered for this but Elliott was a bigger legend and hero to me than Steve Walsh. Obviously Walshie is the bigger cult icon and for good reason but I didn't really start supporting Leicester until the MON era and just remember the team we had before Heskey and then MON left; It was class and on the verge of something big. Elliott was one of the best Centre Backs in the league and scored some vital goals.

Top player.

Very much a "what could've been" era for me, we were about on the verge of becoming a top six side in 2000 but then Heskey left, followed by others who started to drift away - like Walshy, Cottee, Collymore, Ian Marshall were all moved on, while Lennon and Guppy were sold to Celtic.......and so it went on like that under Peter Taylor sadly. Whether we'd have gone on to improve if MON had stayed is debatable I guess and we never found out! We'd certainly achieved more than most would've dared to predict in his five years at Leicester though.

On the subject, Matt Elliott was a legend, I was surprised nobody else came in for him once we got relegated but he was a bit injury prone by then and had faded with it. Think he went out on loan to Ipswich briefly but then retired soon after.......

Archived