Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lineker's Left Foot

Potentially the BIGGEST club in the East !

Just been thinking about the fact that there is only one 'mediocre' Premiership club in the whole of the Midlands, with the most over-rated football stadium, and the fact that this is a travesty really. If you count clubs in East Anglia and the whole of Wales, it appears that the middle of Britain is in disarray with regards to Premiership clubs being evident.

However, if you point to the fact that no major club from the East of Middle England (including East Anglia) then this is pathetic and I think that we're probably the biggest club in that region.

My two reasons:-

1. Bigger fanbases than Ipswich and Norwich.

2. Bigger City

Come on we surely should be bigger than we are.

I love my club through and through but I will continue to pray for a multi-billionaire putting money into our club as it's now the only way forward.

Up the City

Just been thinking about the fact that there is only one 'mediocre' Premiership club in the whole of the Midlands, with the most over-rated football stadium, and the fact that this is a travesty really. If you count clubs in East Anglia and the whole of Wales, it appears that the middle of Britain is in disarray with regards to Premiership clubs being evident.

However, if you point to the fact that no major club from the East of Middle England (including East Anglia) then this is pathetic and I think that we're probably the biggest club in that region.

My two reasons:-

1. Bigger fanbases than Ipswich and Norwich.

2. Bigger City

Come on we surely should be bigger than we are.

I love my club through and through but I will continue to pray for a multi-billionaire putting money into our club as it's now the only way forward.

Up the City

What's up with pushing the panic button? Of course it's not the only way forward..

I would hate for us to get a multi billionaire such as Abrahomavic. The succes we achieve would just seem sour, if you know what I mean.

I would rather build up the clubs infrastructure from top to bottom and with the help of a good manager (Rob Kelly :) ) progress that way. Watford have done it, so why can't we?

The millionaires are ruining football and it is not fair on other clubs who generate money internally.

I would hate for us to get a multi billionaire such as Abrahomavic. The succes we achieve would just seem sour, if you know what I mean.

I would rather build up the clubs infrastructure from top to bottom and with the help of a good manager (Rob Kelly :) ) progress that way. Watford have done it, so why can't we?

The millionaires are ruining football and it is not fair on other clubs who generate money internally.

So you wouldnt swap our position for Chelsea's position????

I think not...

Hey MONreborn, OF COURSE you would want a figure similar to Abramovich at your club !! He is in it for the club because he loves Chelsea, he won't leave them in the lurch. Chelsea can't lose cos I can't see him leaving them.

And Muzz of the Fezz, the reason I mention East Anglia is because they too are part of the East of England - obviously more so than us - and I am mentioning Norwich and Ipswich because as both are Championship clubs they also have a relatively large fan base and big City/Town status. I am on about competing with clubs in the East of England to be the biggest club in the East.

:thumbup:

So you wouldnt swap our position for Chelsea's position????

I think not...

Well no I wouldn't. Loads of glory fans will come our way there will be an increase in prices the original fans would be priced out and the soulf of our club would be lost.

I agree with you completely - Chelsea have brazenly reduced the Premiership to a farce - and for me I would much rather see something worthwhile built at Leicester than have footballers bought for us by millionaires and delivered like parcels from Argos.

However, we still have to show some ambition and lift the public profile of our club. The fans could help if they'd stop accepting mediocrity and start collectively demanding a bit of style. They could also help talk the club up.

The potential is considerable for Leicester and Leicestershire. It is a major City, brilliantly located with a vibrant community and a good spread of jobs. I would never want to swop Leicester for the likes of Wolverhampton, Sheffield, Coventry or Derby, Nottingham, Norwich or Ipswich but the area forever sells itself short starting with those adverts for Leicestershire-based so-called Nottingham Airport which could be ripped down tomorrow for me.

Associating anything with Nottingham right now - apart from brain surgery - is a negative and can hardly help the image of any airport. Did anyone see that Brian Clough play. Even with perfect material to play about with it wasn't funny at all and was one of the worst nights out imaginable.

Well no I wouldn't. Loads of glory fans will come our way there will be an increase in prices the original fans would be priced out and the soulf of our club would be lost.

strange but true;

a bit like having a beautiful wife, everybody else wants some

I agree with you completely - Chelsea have brazenly reduced the Premiership to a farce - I for me I would much rather see something worthwhile built at Leicester than have footballers bought for us by millionaires and delivered like parcels from Argos.

However, we still have to show some ambition and lift the public profile of our club. The fans could help if they'd stop accepting mediocrity and start collectively demanding a bit of style. They could also help talk the club up.

The potential is considerable for Leicester and Leicestershire. It is a major City, brilliantly located with a vibrant community and a good spread of jobs. I would never want to swop Leicester for the likes of Wolverhampton, Sheffield, Coventry or Derby, Nottingham, Norwich or Ipswich but the area forever sells itself short starting with those adverts for Leicestershire-based so-called Nottingham Airport which could be ripped down tomorrow for me.

Associating anything with Nottingham right now - apart from brain surgery - is a negative and can hardly help the image of any airport. Did anyone see that Brian Clough play. Even with perfect material to play about with it wasn't funny at all and was one of the worst nights out imaginable.

some great points here; why does leicester undersell itself so much; i positevly refuse to call the airport anything other than EMA

Hey MONreborn, OF COURSE you would want a figure similar to Abramovich at your club !! He is in it for the club because he loves Chelsea, he won't leave them in the lurch. Chelsea can't lose cos I can't see him leaving them.

And Muzz of the Fezz, the reason I mention East Anglia is because they too are part of the East of England - obviously more so than us - and I am mentioning Norwich and Ipswich because as both are Championship clubs they also have a relatively large fan base and big City/Town status. I am on about competing with clubs in the East of England to be the biggest club in the East.

Norwich is not a big city, it is tiny and a very small football club.

What we need is a concentrated AND realistic effort towards gaining promotion. I believe that the season after next, the 2007/2008 season will be the one to make this campaign. After all we don't want a "we're serious about promotion, are you?....ala forest cock up.

This campaign will increase season tickets and also help attract better quality players, with the nucleus of our side remaining (hopefully) and the addition of four or five quality players (this season and next combined) we could be a real force.

This season I would concentrate on the play offs but the season after the automoatic spots. It's all about attempting to offload the likes of De-Vries, Douglas, Syllam Hammil and Hammond this season.

Two basic points;

1) We are very similar in size to both Norwich and Ipswich, particularly Ipswich. Leicester fans seem incapable of recognising the fact that the biggest prize in football we have ever won is the League Cup. We may have more top flight experience and a slightly bigger fanbase than Norwich but it doesn't make us a significantly bigger club. Our "glory years" consisted of losing three FA Cup finals in a decade and finishing in the top 10 of the Premiership four years running.

2) I don't know if you've ever been to Leicester but it is not in the East of England.

Why would people in East Anglia want to support a Midlands team? Even if we had an extended run in the Premiership. It's like saying "why support Leicester when there is a Premiership team 75 miles away?"

Two basic points;

1) We are very similar in size to both Norwich and Ipswich, particularly Ipswich. Leicester fans seem incapable of recognising the fact that the biggest prize in football we have ever won is the League Cup. We may have more top flight experience and a slightly bigger fanbase than Norwich but it doesn't make us a significantly bigger club. Our "glory years" consisted of losing three FA Cup finals in a decade and finishing in the top 10 of the Premiership four years running.

2) I don't know if you've ever been to Leicester but it is not in the East of England.

Why would people in East Anglia want to support a Midlands team? Even if we had an extended run in the Premiership. It's like saying "why support Leicester when there is a Premiership team 75 miles away?"

its more 120 from norwich

The only problem with your suggestion MON is that someone like Martin O'Neill might rebuild the club and along will come another plonker like Peter Taylor to bugger it all up again. Far better to take the short cut via an Abramovic if the opportunity came along. Anyway, the monied clubs have always won everything.

The only problem with your suggestion MON is that someone like Martin O'Neill might rebuild the club and along will come another plonker like Peter Taylor to bugger it all up again. Far better to take the short cut via an Abramovic if the opportunity came along. Anyway, the monied clubs have always won everything.

But if we had the money AND a plonker like Taylor came then we would be even in more shit because bast amounts of money would be spent, money we have not got in terms of wages although the sugar daddy would take care of the transfer fees and when we go tits up on the pitch the sugar daddy may leave and therefore we're left with crap players on long contracts going no where and into financial meltdown.

I just think a sugar daddy would take the joy of winning away from the team and on to himself i would hate it I really would thats just the principles i follow.

Some things just take time. We were in administration not too long ago. That is half a breath away from liquidation.

We need a period of stability, and financial growth before we can strike back. The giant is sleeping but it won't always be that way!

Chill, enjoy the ride.

But if we had the money AND a plonker like Taylor came then we would be even in more shit because bast amounts of money would be spent, money we have not got in terms of wages although the sugar daddy would take care of the transfer fees and when we go tits up on the pitch the sugar daddy may leave and therefore we're left with crap players on long contracts going no where and into financial meltdown.

I just think a sugar daddy would take the joy of winning away from the team and on to himself i would hate it I really would thats just the principles i follow.

Agreed, Chelsea love life right now, but you only need to look at their books to see the potential problems. They are over £100 million pounds in debt!!!

Just because abramovich can cover that with the spare change in his pocket doesn't mean Chelsea would be looking too good if he ever got bored. They wouldn't be able to cope with their wage budget if he left, nor would they be able to recoup the money they spent on players. Remember, because everyone knows they have money from a sugar daddy, they have had to pay over the odds for every signing.

Things are sweet now, but mark my words, they are the next Leeds United in the making.

Precisely!!!! Isn't that just what I said? And isn't that just what Taylor did, and what Levein was in the process of doing in terms of playing standards? Plonkers like those two would ruin a top level club in any situation. Money, however, can only help in the quest for success. Why shouldn't Chelsea enjoy their day in the sun because they can outspend Manchester Utd. and Arsenal?. Or should we just allow those two to win everything until the second coming? To deny them that on the grounds of lack of enjoyment is masochistic.

Wouldnt say he loves the club, he didnt even come to England to take over at Chelsea, he was in talks with Tottenham, couldnt agree a deal and as he was flying out of England he saw Stamford Bridge and decided to make a bid for Chelsea. But if thats love then cool :)

Things are sweet now, but mark my words, they are the next Leeds United in the making.

Not sure about that, I can't see them suddenly being left swinging owing that level of debt. I sure as hell don't want that at my club though ~ the soul has gone from some of these super-clubs. Man United, Aresnal & Chelsea don't have a loyal fan base, they have executive memberships and five star dinners. They shit on the ordinary fan from an extreme height...

The wealth they generate, the wages they pay ruins the game for everyone from top down. The importation of foreign talent locks our potential international stars away from getting regular first team action in the biggest competitions and bars our managers from obtaining the experience needed to manage at the top level.

In the USA baseball teams have a draw for the best new talent and the american football teams have a cap on the salary allowed within the club - I fancy going down this road. I think it is time for players not to earn the equivalent of a 3rd World countries GDP for a month of kicking a ball.

Like in life, you'd rather earn your way to success than 'buy' success, the sense of achieveent is much higher that way.

Chelsea, albeit being a fantastic team, have pretty much cheated their opponents along the way in recent years. If i was a chelsea fan, i would hate being booed and hated by EVERY other team in the country.

and for example, Arsenal became successful with a lot of hard work and inspiration. Before Wenger they were playing Uefa cup football and managed to progress to playing champions league football the hard way.

Money is the root of all evil!

some great points here; why does leicester undersell itself so much; i positevly refuse to call the airport anything other than EMA

Its rather ironic that Doncaster/Sheffield have called their airport the Robin Hood airport!

Like in life, you'd rather earn your way to success than 'buy' success, the sense of achieveent is much higher that way.

Prime example being Blackburn. When they won the league with Walker pumping in tons of cash, everyone loathed them and the ground was pretty dead despite their success.

Last season, I loved watching them beat Chelsea to get the Eufa cup place and you could see the ground was rocking. Seemed pretty much the whole of the second half that all the ground was chanting "Barmy Army" (led by some manic fat skinhead banging a huge drum in front of their Kop).

Archived