Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Newcastle_Fox

New Coach

Miller quits Shakers for Leicester

Bury assistant boss Ian Miller, a close friend of Foxes boss Rob Kelly, has left the club to join the backroom staff at Leicester City.

Miller, who arrived at Gigg Lane in December last year, has been given permission by Bury to leave with immediate effect.

Shakers' boss Chris Casper told the club's official website: "It's come as a real bolt from the blue. Obviously I couldn't stand in his way; Leicester are a big club and I would never stand in anyone's way to go to a Championship club."

Source: http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,1...1314150,00.html

From Bury's official site;

Assistant Manager Ian Miller has left Gigg Lane to take up a similar position with Championship side Leicester City.

Ian Miller, a former Shakers player who played 15 times from the club in the early seventies, joined Bury in December 2005 as assistant to Chris Casper.

As a coach, Ian pressed his own style quickly onto the squad and became a firm favourite with all the players.

This morning the players were told that Ian had left.Leicester manager Rob Kelly is a good friend of Ian's and on Friday afternoon, Ian received a call from Rob Kelly offering him the job.

Ian will join the Foxes with immediate affect.Although disappointing for the club, director Ian Harrop was quick to state 'that the club would never stand in the way of anyone joining a club further up the league.'

All at the club would like to thank Ian for his help, support and friendship over the last eight months and we wish him well and every success at the Walker Stadium.

Manager Chris Casper commented on Dusty's departure this morning and said: 'It came as a real bolt out of the blue on Friday afternoon.Obviously I can't stand in his way; Leicester will be able to offer him more money. They are a big club and I would never stand in anyone's way to go to a Championship Club."

"It's come at a bad time for us, but we move on and we get on with it. He's a fantastic bloke and he did a lot of work behind the scenes here. He helped me out enormously with his experience and he will be greatly missed."

"I will replace Ian, and it will be the same situation when I took over the job. I won't be making any light decisions. I was fully justified in waiting that long. With Dusty I got somebody who I could completely trust, he worked extremely hard and he was very good at his job. I won't be rushing straight in to sign somebody, I will make sure it is the right appointment."

He sounds like he was massively valued at Bury, but they are a League Two outfit. I hope Kelly knows what he's doing and this chap can help coach our players at a level we need.

It worries me when people sign there best mates, comming from a average league 2 side, it doesn't sound too promising!!

It worries me when people sign there best mates, comming from a average league 2 side, it doesn't sound too promising!!

It worries me also, but most managers bring in coaches they've either previously worked with or have a good relationship with them. I hope he's effective, there are often good coaches at lower league clubs and from how Bury speak about him he's certainly made an impact there.

The plus side is that they know each other, must have similar ideas of how the game should be played and the learning curve for him will be considerable shorter.

The plus side is that they know each other, must have similar ideas of how the game should be played and the learning curve for him will be considerable shorter.

12 defenders in a squad of just over 20 and hardly any left footed wide players? Blinding. :D

12 defenders in a squad of just over 20 and hardly any left footed wide players? Blinding. :D

Perhaps his strength is converting right footed players to left footed players.

it don't matter what club a coach came from, look what paul jewell has done with Wigan and look were they were.

Where was Steve McClaren at before Man Utd snapped him up? Derby he was one of the key reasons to their success, and now he is the England manager.

New First Team Coach Ian Miller hopes his "hunger" for the game will rub off on the players this season.

The former Blackpool coach and Bury assistant manager joined the Foxes coaching staff for the first time at Loughborough University yesterday and helped put the squad through their paces on the opening day of pre-season training.

Miller, who has previously worked together with City boss Rob Kelly at Wolves and Blackburn, quickly settled into his role and is excited about the challenge that lies ahead of him.

He said: "It is like being at a new school - it is all about getting to know the faces of everyone at the moment and that will come with time.

"But Rob wants me to coach the first team and that's what I will do. I am quite an experienced coach now with about 14 or 15 years experience under my belt albeit at different levels so coaching is my strength.

"I love working with the players and hopefully my experience and enthusiasm will help them.

"I am hungry to get better and coach at the highest level I possibly can. That's the attitude I want from our players as well, whether they are 19 or 39 they should all have that hunger, desire and enthusiasm to improve."

And Miller, who has also worked at Manchester City, is determined to push the players to the limit during a gruelling pre-season programme.

"That's what pre-season is all about - pushing the players to the limit.

"It will take time to build relationships with each and every player but that will come.

"I want to help all of them individually and collectively and as time goes on, I will start to see how each player operates and works.

"Football is about enthusiasm. If you get a group of committed players pulling in the same direction then you've got one hell of a chance."

Miller was a part of the Blackpool management team under Colin Hendry when they took on the Foxes at the Walkers Stadium in the third round of the FA Cup in January 2005.

He was impressed with the club then and believes they are certainly well-equipped for bigger and better things.

"Leicester have a wonderful stadium and a fantastic supporter base and definitely have that infrastructure which is required to push on.

"Let's hope I can be a part of that team that helps the club move in that right direction.

"We want to keep the run that the team put together towards the end of last season going this term."

The OS

Archived