Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ultra

FAO THRACIAN

I can understand the reasoning you have outlined for cashing in on them. But right now, their departures would be as welcome to most FOXES as the return of the poison dwarf!

As the poll on Mandaric indicates, most fans are incapable of forming a long-term vision or strategy for this club. Rightly or wrongly, they would perceive the sale of either or both of these key players as conclusive proof of the current regime's lack of ambition. They would either stay away from games (as a lot are doing already) or mount a vociferous campaign for the removal of the board and/or management (even if most of them are totally clueless on who, if anyone, could replace them).

But let's also study the arguments you have advanced in more detail

Kisnorbo is increasingly showing leadership qualities

That's open to debate, given that he's only played three games since his reckless sending-off at Coventry last season. Would he be more effective if he had McAuley or Johansson alongside him? I think not.

Fryatt has not actually scored in four matches this season

Even the likes of Henry and Shevchenko have barren spells. Fryatt's could end as soon as tonight. Right now he is the biggest asset we have at our club. To sell him at this stage would set this team back years.

and I said all along that 15/18 was the most we could expect once the opposition has studied his style.

He is still a youngster. Already this season I've seen improvements in his all-round game. He managed to score 20 goals in a heavily disrupted campaign last season and I see no reason why he shouldn't be aiming for a similar figure at least this time around.

Dodds has scored 60-odd in two seasons and I'm sure he'd match the 15/18 figure

Those goals were scored at a far lower level. There are plenty of instances I could quote of boy wonders who have been prolific in the youth/reserve teams, but for whatever reason have not made the grade at senior level. I'd therefore suggest that your expectations of Dodds might not be shared by too many in the wider world, and certainly not by Rob Kelly.

Hume scored more than Fryatt last season (in a longer period of time I hasten to add) and is alredy off the mark on his way to 15 or so for a full season in my opinion.

And who set him up for that goal, as well as a few last season? Would he be more or less effective with Dodds as his strike partner?

O'Grady, if used as a substitute (assuming RK's still even speaking to him) would play a genuine striker role now we've got wingers (rather than the holding role of last season) and that would result in him scoring more goals.

O'Grady has undoubted potential, but has still yet to start a game for the first team. There is no guarantee that he'd be any more reliable a source of goals than Hammond or MDV. His goal return on loan at Rushden was relatively modest, and that was two leagues below ours!

There would be more chances and goals because of the wide men (including Gradel) and any striker we bought would be a bonus.

Gradel, like Dodds, has yet to kick a ball for the first team. If RK was convinced he'd be ready to step up any time soon I doubt he would've bought Josh Low. Any striker we bought under your scenario would come under an inflated price, as selling clubs would be aware we'd have mony to spend.

Kelly may give some of the youngsters a game tonight. But they'd need a sustained run in the first team to assess whether they can hack it in the league that we're in.

The time for that will be in the second half of the season, if/when we've secured enough points to avoid being sucked into yet another relegation battle.

I can understand the reasoning you have outlined for cashing in on them. But right now, their departures would be as welcome to most FOXES as the return of the poison dwarf!

As the poll on Mandaric indicates, most fans are incapable of forming a long-term vision or strategy for this club. Rightly or wrongly, they would perceive the sale of either or both of these key players as conclusive proof of the current regime's lack of ambition. They would either stay away from games (as a lot are doing already) or mounting a campaign for the removal of the board and/or management (even if most of them are totally clueless on who, if anyone, could replace them).

But let's also study the arguments you have advanced in more detail

That's open to debate, given that he's only played three games since his reckless sending-off at Coventry last season. Would he be more effective if he had McAuley or Johansson alongside him? I think not.

Even the likes of Henry and Shevchenko have barren spells. Fryatt's could end as soon as tonight. Right now he is the biggest asset we have at our club. To sell him at this stage would set this team back years.

He is still a youngster. Already this season I've seen improvements in his all-round game. He managed to score 20 goals in a heavily disrupted campaign last season and I see no reason why he shouldn't be aiming for a similar figure at least this time around.

Those goals were scored at a far lower level. There are plenty of instances I could quote of boy wonders who have been prolific in the youth/reserve teams, but for whatever reason have not made the grade at senior level. I'd therefore suggest that your expectations of Dodds might not be shared by too many in the wider world, and certainly not by Rob Kelly.

And who set him up for that goal, as well as a few last season? Would he be more or less effective with Dodds as his strike partner?

O'Grady has undoubted potential, but has still yet to start a game for the first team. There is no guarantee that he'd be any more reliable a source of goals than Hammond or MDV. His goal return on loan at Rushden was relatively modest, and that was two leagues below ours!

Gradel, like Dodds, has yet to kick a ball for the first team. If RK was convinced he'd be ready to step up any time soon I doubt he would've bought Josh Low. Any striker we bought under your scenario would come under an inflated price, as selling clubs would be aware we'd have mony to spend.

Kelly may give some of the youngsters a game tonight. But they'd need a sustained run in the first team to assess whether they can hack it in the league that we're in.

The time for that will be in the second half of the season, if/when we've secured enough points to avoid being sucked into yet another relegation battle.

Absolutely spot on. Thracian really is losing the plot at the minute, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. He raises alot of good points, but he's showing himself up by believing that players who have never started a first team game for us could replace players such as Fryatt, Stearman and Hume, etc.

Lunatic.

Absolutely spot on. Thracian really is losing the plot at the minute, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. He raises alot of good points, but he's showing himself up by believing that players who have never started a first team game for us could replace players such as Fryatt, Stearman and Hume, etc.

Lunatic.

Hmm, maybe his faculties are deserting him. He could write a piece detailing why a Premiership chairman should abandon all allegiances to his current club, and spend tens of millions on the FOXES...

Except there are plenty who have already beaten him to it.

Now THEIRS are the minds I really fear for...

Lunatic.

also I don't believe that any of our players would be worth much at the moment and are certainly not ready for the Premiership. Perhaps the only player they would be interested in is Kisnorbo. Fryatt 0 goals in 4 games I cant see how we'd make a profit on him at this moment in time.

If Leicester did what Thracian suggested the fans would have them out quicker than you can say Meeeelllaaannn

doo doo Tommy Wright

Intersting argument but flawed.

a) First my action directly starts to address the problems we have which NEED addressing.

b) Such action might be worth delaying if we were likely to get promotion but we're not this season because we've too many weakenesses (four).

c) Kisnorbo's growing leadership has been apparent since Kelly took over. I didn't say he and McAuley/Nils would be more effective than he and McCarthy. Just not notably weaker because with McAuley we'd have more attacking potential and with Nils it would free the left-back position for Sheehan and improve our links between defence and attack. McCarthy is a good player, an inspiring person but his distribution is awful.

d) Fryatt is an asset. Hence my valuation. But his going wouldn't set us back years or probably even at all. Dodds and O'Grady are good players, used properly.

e) I know he's young, thank God. It was hard enough citing Porter's case but you don't score 60 goals in two seasons at any level without abilty. One of the managerial arts is being able to spot key players early and have the confidence to use them. Wenger and Sir Alex Ferguson are sometimes brilliant at it.

f) I mentioned why Fryatt will find it harder this season a long while ago. Videos. Eighteen League goals tops.

g) Nothing against Fryatt allthough he's inclined to be greedy (sometimes good for a striker). But Dodds is an excellent partner. So is O'Grady and Porter even more so.

h) Rushden was a long time ago for O'Grady. I've seen him look a very threatening striker. He's never played the role of true striker in City's first team. He can now.

i) I think Kelly rates Gradel very highly. Understandable since you rarely find wingers who score as often as him or who get into goalscoring positions as often.

Hmm, maybe his faculties are deserting him. He could write a piece detailing why a Premiership chairman should abandon all allegiances to his current club, and spend tens of millions on the FOXES...

Except there are plenty who have already beaten him to it.

Now THEIRS are the minds I really fear for...

....... :rolleyes: This club will never go anywhere with your way of thinking.

I would be absloutley jumping for joy if this investor was anyone but Milan Manadric as it would mean we were finally going somewhere. Where as I dont think you would care who it was with your " we don't need a sugar daddy" attitude. Why are you happy to watch us rot away and struggle in a championship relegation battle season after season, ultimatley ending in relegation.

a) First my action directly starts to address the problems we have which NEED addressing.

b) Such action might be worth delaying if we were likely to get promotion but we're not this season because we've too many weakenesses (four).

c) Kisnorbo's growing leadership has been apparent since Kelly took over. I didn't say he and McAuley/Nils would be more effective than he and McCarthy. Just not notably weaker because with McAuley we'd have more attacking potential and with Nils it would free the left-back position for Sheehan and improve our links between defence and attack. McCarthy is a good player, an inspiring person but his distribution is awful.

d) Fryatt is an asset. Hence my valuation. But his going wouldn't set us back years or probably even at all. Dodds and O'Grady are good players, used properly.

e) I know he's young, thank God. It was hard enough citing Porter's case but you don't score 60 goals in two seasons at any level without abilty. One of the managerial arts is being able to spot key players early and have the confidence to use them. Wenger and Sir Alex Ferguson are sometimes brilliant at it.

f) I mentioned why Fryatt will find it harder this season a long while ago. Videos. Eighteen League goals tops.

g) Nothing against Fryatt allthough he's inclined to be greedy (sometimes good for a striker). But Dodds is an excellent partner. So is O'Grady and Porter even more so.

h) Rushden was a long time ago for O'Grady. I've seen him look a very threatening striker. He's never played the role of true striker in City's first team. He can now.

i) I think Kelly rates Gradel very highly. Understandable since you rarely find wingers who score as often as him or who get into goalscoring positions as often.

I bagged 80 in the Huggelscote Primary school lunch time league when are you going to try and get me a contract?

If Thracian got his way Leicester will be playing at a level suitable for the likes of Dodds, Gradel and Sheehan. The Conference with home games at Nelson Mandela Park. But it wouldnt matter because we would have built a team with Porter as captain and midfield dynamo

Lunatic.

I didn't suggest selling Hume. Quite the contrary.

Stearman, McCarthy and Fryatt are the ones I'd sell.

Paying off the stadium loan is always going to cost a pound of flesh and the trick is to have answers as you do it.

City with a forward line of Low/Gradel, Hume, Dodds/O'Grady and Porter with Weso in midfield and an atacking left back will score more goals than the 51 we got last season.

Presently we're scoring less than one a game.

I agree with what you say. Thracin has some valid points but they all have a relatively high element of risk. The youngsters would be better introduced gradually so we can assess how good they are at 1st team level. Then if they are really as good as they are in the reserves we can take it from there. No point in jumping the gun, it could seriously backfire.

Right, i've got a suggestion using Thracians ideas. Why don't we sell Sheehan to Chelsea for £35million and pay off all our debts.

I should be on the board of Leicester with these ideas. I've just thought of another, we could sell Chambers and Dodds for a combined fee of 80million!!

What does everyone think?

Paying off the stadium loan is always going to cost a pound of flesh and the trick is to have answers as you do it.

City with a forward line of Low/Gradel, Hume, Dodds/O'Grady and Porter with Weso in midfield and an atacking left back will score more goals than the 51 we got last season.

Christ.

Dodds is 20, he still hasn't made a first team appearance. I'm not sure why, it's something i'd like to know as i've watched him lots for the academy and reserves and he's a natural finisher. My only thinking is that perhaps he just hasn't got what it takes for this level? A loan stint in League One or Two could help us learn more. But the fact is Fryatt is the same age as him and has scored about 40 goals already in league football. It would only be fair to ask how 2 players of the same age could be classed as being on par talent wise yet one has premeirship clubs courting him most weeks and another is a mere pipe dream from fans like yourself and myself in the past. It don't add up meowd. Same could be said of O'Grady, looks useful but as a replacement for Fryatt in the long run? Far too early to say and a massive gamble. If we were to sell Fryatt, which i'd not advocate then i'd want a guaranteed goalscorer to replace him.

Most top level strikers score a shit load at youth level, infact most strikers who have stayed at an academy for a number of years will score lots at youth level. But that doesn't guarantee making it in professional football. Tommy Wright scored just as many, if not more than Dodds at youth and reserve level but he was fairly anonymous for us when he played in the first team.

Fryatt has scored about the same amount of goals as Hume in his career but in almost half the amount of games at the same level. Why sell one of the best youngsters we've had for years unless we have to?

I agree with what you say. Thracin has some valid points but they all have a relatively high element of risk. The youngsters would be better introduced gradually so we can assess how good they are at 1st team level. Then if they are really as good as they are in the reserves we can take it from there. No point in jumping the gun, it could seriously backfire.

Wonderful. I'd be all for it. But everyone tells me the club is going broke!

And the only solution I'm hearing is to wait for Mr Wonderful to come in, transfer our debt to his account and bankroll our path to the Promised Land. And you say my idea's risky!.

Dodds is 20, he still hasn't made a first team appearance. I'm not sure why, it's something i'd like to know as i've watched him lots for the academy and reserves and he's a natural finisher. My only thinking is that perhaps he just hasn't got what it takes for this level? A loan stint in League One or Two could help us learn more. But the fact is Fryatt is the same age as him and has scored about 40 goals already in league football. It would only be fair to ask how 2 players of the same age could be classed as being on par talent wise yet one has premeirship clubs courting him most weeks and another is a mere pipe dream from fans like yourself and myself in the past. It don't add up meowd. Same could be said of O'Grady, looks useful but as a replacement for Fryatt in the long run? Far too early to say and a massive gamble. If we were to sell Fryatt, which i'd not advocate then i'd want a guaranteed goalscorer to replace him.

Most top level strikers score a shit load at youth level, infact most strikers who have stayed at an academy for a number of years will score lots at youth level. But that doesn't guarantee making it in professional football. Tommy Wright scored just as many, if not more than Dodds at youth and reserve level but he was fairly anonymous for us when he played in the first team.

To be fair though, walsall took a chance on Fryatt. We took a chance on levi and put him in and he played well I thought.

Why not give them a chance in the first team rather than just saying they will rot and ply their trades in the lower leagues of football?

also I don't believe that any of our players would be worth much at the moment and are certainly not ready for the Premiership. Perhaps the only player they would be interested in is Kisnorbo. Fryatt 0 goals in 4 games I cant see how we'd make a profit on him at this moment in time.

If Leicester did what Thracian suggested the fans would have them out quicker than you can say Meeeelllaaannn

Perhaps they wouldn't if they were paying the bills.

....... :rolleyes: This club will never go anywhere with your way of thinking.

I would be absloutley jumping for joy if this investor was anyone but Milan Manadric as it would mean we were finally going somewhere.

Why? Would any investment guarantee us promotion? Even Mandaric had three relegation battles before striking lucky with Redknapp.

Why are you happy to watch us rot away and struggle in a championship relegation battle season after season, ultimatley ending in relegation.

You're wrong. I renewed my Kop season ticket because I trust the board and this manager to make progress this season. I don't believe there will be a relegation battle this time around. We have too much quality, on and off the pitch, to allow that to happen.

To be fair though, walsall took a chance on Fryatt. We took a chance on levi and put him in and he played well I thought.

Why not give them a chance in the first team rather than just saying they will rot and ply their trades in the lower leagues of football?

I think Dodds should get a chance but not as a replacement for Fryatt, that's plain lunacy. We've had the lad 6 months and we've been raving about him, so I know! Let's sell the poor lad.

There's often the debate about they haven't been given the chance because their not good enough. But then how do you know their not good enough until they are given the chance. I more than anyone like to see academy players out our club been given a chance and over the past season it's happened. I hope Dodds gets a chance and I hope he does well, but I can't agree to believing he could replace Fryatt until I get to see him play professional football over a period of time.

Wonderful. I'd be all for it. But everyone tells me the club is going broke!

And the only solution I'm hearing is to wait for Mr Wonderful to come in, transfer our debt to his account and bankroll our path to the Promised Land. And you say my idea's risky!.

In terms of our financial future selling those 3 players is not going to get us safe. Even if none of it went back into transfers/Chairman's pocket. It is not a sustainable business plan. On the flip side the move could ruin our football and for example if we were awful without those players and got relegated then our revenues would decrease thus devaluing selling the players in the 1st place and leaving us in even deeper brown pants.

I believe it is a lower risk to build our current team for promotion and organically grow the club - build a strong squad which includes the youngsters you speak of. I know its wishful thinking but I do have belief in RK. Promotion would not solve all of our woes but it would be a big step in the right direction.

As you well know Ric, Fryatt has scored his 40 goals because he played in some shit football for Walsall

and was given two seasons of opportunity. But he's 's a good player. That isn't the argument. Dodds has had no pportunities and not because he hasn't been prolific but because there isn't going to be a vacancy while Hume/Fryatt are in the team.

Archived