Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
golden gordon

o'grady /elliot swap

Thracian are you pleased that the kids got a run out today then?? Or is there still something to moan about??

Sheehan, Gradel and Dodds not getting a look in - which I have to agree with. We know Low's strengths and whilst he's done relatively well on the right wing, I think we need a little bit more. Gradel would have been a great option to throw on, just to see how he does seeing as Macclesfield were offering no threat whatsoever.

Thracian are you pleased that the kids got a run out today then?? Or is there still something to moan about??

a) I can see no logical reason for playing Maybury at left-back. Sheehan is the obvious answer but if Kelly dismisses that for whatever reason then the problem needs addressing. We need an attacking left back to help link defence and attack more easily.

b) Mark is right that Gradel could have had 20 minutes. I understand Kelly's position. His first job is to win the match and he probably thought five ex-Academy players is enough. I don't think Macclesfield really had the energy to score after 70 minutes and we'd have learned something.

c) I'd still like to see us take more short corners. By that I mean low balls to the front edge of the box etc.

We're still not very alert and urgent at corners.

d) Finally step overs. O'Grady made a great chance by leaving a Porter pass but the ball rolled right across the penalty spot without a City player in sight. Now we've playing the ball to feet and gettting numbers in and around the box, midfield players have to be aware of such things and try to support. It wasn't the only time a ball went across the box without a challenge.

None of the above is meant as a moan. I enjoyed the game, I loved the way we tried to play and saw lots of positives. It's just meant as constructive criticism because you asked. For me the team could play five-star football and I would still look for little ways to improve.

a) I can see no logical reason for playing Maybury at left-back. Sheehan is the obvious answer but if Kelly dismisses that for whatever reason then the problem needs addressing. We need an attacking left back to help link defence and attack more easily.

b) Mark is right that Gradel could have had 20 minutes. I understand Kelly's position. His first job is to win the match and he probably thought five ex-Academy players is enough. I don't think Macclesfield really had the energy to score after 70 minutes and we'd have learned something.

c) I'd still like to see us take more short corners. By that I mean low balls to the front edge of the box etc.

We're still not very alert and urgent at corners.

d) Finally step overs. O'Grady made a great chance by leaving a Porter pass but the ball rolled right across the penalty spot without a City player in sight. Now we've playing the ball to feet and gettting numbers in and around the box, midfield players have to be aware of such things and try to support. It wasn't the only time a ball went across the box without a challenge.

A) I agree that Maybury playing left-back is ridiculous as well, he cannot do the job in his preferred position (right-back), so he shouldn't be playing on the left. I can't see the point in having a natural left-back (Sheehan) in the squad if he isn't going to be played, and therefore he should have been given his chance today.

B) Gradel could have been given his chance today, and probably should have been, but it doesn't matter that he wasn't, there's plenty of time, including round 2 of the League Cup or early doors in the F.A Cup.

C) That's training ground stuff that there is a lot of time to work on. The commentator summed it up best when he said that Leicester have nobody on the front post yet so many of their corners go there. This is what watching the video of the game is for.

D) Again, watching videos of the game will help to improve this. Those group of players weren't used to playing together, so that probably explains it

Archived