Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
hoooom

An idea to pack stadium

We all know that the attendances at the Walkers have not been up to scratch this season for whatever reason. Now, I've got a suggestion. Why not offer season ticket holders a free pair of tickets for the first 6000 who claim for one game (as an alternative to a Fan's fixture). That would mean an extra 12,000 fans in the stadium and as well as having the extra support, it may attract new fans to the club and a lot more money will be spent on programmes, in the shop, food etc. No ticket money would be lost as 3 or 4000 tickets would still be available on general sale and season ticket holders could be encouraged to bring people along who do not normally attend. Would this be a plausible idea? What are your thoughts??

How many season ticket holders are there? 14,000 or so?

ground capacity is 32,500.

Have a random draw and give 12,000 season ticket holders another season ticket. That would mean they could offer a seat to a mate (at whatever rate, say £10, and to the same mate or another mate the next time and so on).

The season ticket holder offsets his initial outlay by recouping x times the number of matches left.

The ground fills almost completely.

There are 12,000 new fans, some of whom might remain fans long term.

Those 12,000 would probably buy refreshments, programmes, even merchandise.

There would be a clamour for season tickets next year if the club announced that they would do the same thing based on the number of empty seats after the first month's home games or even some other criteria.

The draw for extra season tickets next season would start with the season ticket holders who failed to get an extra season ticket this season, assuming they had renewed.

Everyone benefits.

It's just an idea. Not deeply thought through. But perhaps worth discussing because it don't half sound nice in theory.

How many season ticket holders are there? 14,000 or so?

ground capacity is 32,500.

Have a random draw and give 12,000 season ticket holders another season ticket. That would mean they could offer a seat to a mate (at whatever rate, say £10, and to the same mate or another mate the next time and so on).

The season ticket holder offsets his initial outlay by recouping x times the number of matches left.

The ground fills almost completely.

There are 12,000 new fans, some of whom might remain fans long term.

Those 12,000 would probably buy refreshments, programmes, even merchandise.

There would be a clamour for season tickets next year if the club announced that they would do the same thing based on the number of empty seats after the first month's home games or even some other criteria.

The draw for extra season tickets next season would start with the season ticket holders who failed to get an extra season ticket this season, assuming they had renewed.

Everyone benefits.

It's just an idea. Not deeply thought through. But perhaps worth discussing because it don't half sound nice in theory.

Another good idea Thracian. However, I think doing the first idea as a one-off first would be the best thing. For example, out of the 12,000 extra season tickets, how many holders would not bother to lend anyone their ticket for a particular game. At least with the first idea, the 7000 holders who actually go to the ticket office and claim the free pair of tickets will definitely use them. Also, nobody will need to change seats whereas with only one spare season ticket, seat re-location may be an issue. (people not wanting to sit on their own).

However, if the first idea works, the free season ticket could be an option for the future.

I think the problem is so nuch deeper than this, Last season there were a number of games I couldn't even give my season ticket away, I also won a few via the Coca Cola comp, again I had difficulty finding people who even wanted to waste a saturday afternoon. These are not your glory hunting fans these are people that used to go regularly week in week out, home and away, through the rough times on and off the pitch, even back to the Pleat era.

Something fundamentally stinks in the world of football, be it over paid prima donnas, the unfair distribution of funds, the way the 'big' clubs are catered for at the expense of the smaller clubs in terms seeding/organising of fixtures, the abysmal performance of The FA, with the obscene cost of Wembley when the grass roots of the game are crying out for funds, the subsequent cancellation of the National Football Academy almost certainly as a result of Wembley, the opera/theatre like set up at grounds, simple saturation etc, etc or all of these..

I think the problem is so nuch deeper than this, Last season there were a number of games I couldn't even give my season ticket away, I also won a few via the Coca Cola comp, again I had difficulty finding people who even wanted to waste a saturday afternoon. These are not your glory hunting fans these are people that used to go regularly week in week out, home and away, through the rough times on and off the pitch, even back to the Pleat era.

Something fundamentally stinks in the world of football, be it over paid prima donnas, the unfair distribution of funds, the way the 'big' clubs are catered for at the expense of the smaller clubs in terms seeding/organising of fixtures, the abysmal performance of The FA, with the obscene cost of Wembley when the grass roots of the game are crying out for funds, the subsequent cancellation of the National Football Academy almost certainly as a result of Wembley, the opera/theatre like set up at grounds, simple saturation etc, etc or all of these..

Or just that Leicester play rubbish football against rubbish teams. :rolleyes:

I do like Thracians idea however, it does seem quite a good plan. You should email it to TD, or speak to him about it at the next open meeting :thumbup:

Or just that Leicester play rubbish football against rubbish teams. :rolleyes:

I do like Thracians idea however, it does seem quite a good plan. You should email it to TD, or speak to him about it at the next open meeting :thumbup:

We've always had periods when we've played rubbish.

I couldn't begin to solve all the football ills you mentioned but just hoped my idea might help us to increase our core support and build some much-missed atmosphere.

Anything will help but as I said in my missing crowds thread, we need to get the late 20 early 30 ages to come again.

Anything will help but as I said in my missing crowds thread, we need to get the late 20 early 30 ages to come again.

You can say that again. I was sat next to a group of ageing teachers who were like so many figureheads on a fleet of ancient sailing vessels - silent and motionless. They acted out a 90-minute impression of a deaf-mute pools panel deliberating on the days results.

Atmosphere? The corporate enclave that masquerades as Leicester's West Stand was about as animated as a puppeteers playthings on his day off... we could have been watching a few ends of crown green bowls.

All good ideas guys, I think the club needs to look at different pricing options and ticket deals in more detail. The fans fixtures are a start at cheaper tickets but I'm sure the club could bring in more fans if they worked out:

* The cheapest they could sell tickets in comparison with best attendance and maximum profit.

* Better price advertising in the local area (however I'm not sure what this is like currently)

* Ideas like above in the other posts.

Any improvement on the attendance would be excellent, however the club still needs to sort out the half-time shows and pre-match buildup to make the whole thing better.

Lets face it, no matter what the club does, the only way that attendances will improve is when we start performing on the pitch! If we go on a run of 3 or 4 wins in a row then im sure we'll suddenly see about 23,000 again.

I don't think it's even that - attendances are well down for a lot of clubs.

Yeah I don't think we are even near the worst club in this league for attendances - its just a case of the club needing to put a lot of effort into trying to attract more fans. Things like free flags are novel but rather small, and in modern times when people have less disposible income the club needs to look at more attractive propositions for people to come out and see the side. Lower prices would aid this, or overall if fans feel they are getting a better deal over the season they will come.

Its not just us with poor attendances. Today the Blackburn Vs Chelski game had less than 20k, I think they actually had less than us for the Southend game. You would think that a game against Chelski would pull out all the ST holders and a good few others aswell.

The BBC 5 live bloke said that it was a very poor performance by the pople of the north west, personnally I think it was the people of the North West sticking 2 fingers up at the over paid and very undercommitted players of the premiership.

Cut match day prices, pay players a performance related salary and get football back to being a fun day out watching a team who actually fight to win everytime.

Its not just us with poor attendances. Today the Blackburn Vs Chelski game had less than 20k, I think they actually had less than us for the Southend game. You would think that a game against Chelski would pull out all the ST holders and a good few others aswell.

:o:o:o

And this was a team that finished top six last year!

OK, so some would have stayed away because of the presence of the Sky cameras, but it was still a very poor attendance. Chelsea's turnout was also shockingly low.

I think many clubs, including the FOXES, are paying the price for a dismal World Cup, as fans are becoming disillusioned with the game. Saturation TV coverage isn't helping either.

:o:o:o

And this was a team that finished top six last year!

OK, so some would have stayed away because of the presence of the Sky cameras, but it was still a very poor attendance. Chelsea's turnout was also shockingly low.

I think many clubs, including the FOXES, are paying the price for a dismal World Cup, as fans are becoming disillusioned with the game. Saturation TV coverage isn't helping either.

There's truth in that. England had the chance to present themselves as an exciting, trend-setting, cavalier side but instead disappeared from sight in a manner that was little short of wilfull surrender.

As far as I'm concerned it was a crime against the game and many fans, who spent thousands following England and the others who watched in their armchairs, are either broke or disillusioned.

Add that to the ever-increasing debts of the general populace, the corruption, the increasing disinterest of the 20-30's age group which DavieG referred to and you get just a few of the increasing number of factors working against football.

The obscene bankrolling of Chelsea which, to many, has destroyed the concept of fair competition, and the refusal of the authorities to address this problem take further from the game and now there's even talk of the ridiculous rugby union style competition where the league leaders have to play off against the five below them to contrive a champion.

The game has and is getting shafted.

Overall attendances in england have been going down quite a lot in recent years as it has been said before. Winning games/playing better clubs doesn't seem to be making a huge difference.

I think a reason for the lower attendances are the players themselves, you would rather watch a player totally commited to the team and back him, than watch nisse after he says 'i want to be in the premiership'.

For the price of a ticket you can spend your money on a heck of a lot more. Yes season tickets ARE very good value, but single tickets are very expensive.

You have the 15,000 who come every game, then you could say there are another 30,000 supporters who come once half a dozen games. The key is to make these fans come more regularly. My brother is one of the people and he says "i want to support leicester again, but I cannot afford it". That basically sums it up.

All the clubs look at each others prices the same as they look at each others 1 year kits. You only need a few clubs to bring prices down to make other clubs follow suit.

To improve attendances, there has got to be a nationwide effort to pursuade people to come to games by whatever means necessary.

Fans also seem less interested in games. when we scored on saturday, usually people start screaming and going mental, but many just stood up and clapped, but I guess this is more to do with the fact that we are not challenging and this one goal isn't going to keep us top etc

Overall attendances in england have been going down quite a lot in recent years as it has been said before. Winning games/playing better clubs doesn't seem to be making a huge difference.

I think a reason for the lower attendances are the players themselves, you would rather watch a player totally commited to the team and back him, than watch nisse after he says 'i want to be in the premiership'.

For the price of a ticket you can spend your money on a heck of a lot more. Yes season tickets ARE very good value, but single tickets are very expensive.

You have the 15,000 who come every game, then you could say there are another 30,000 supporters who come once half a dozen games. The key is to make these fans come more regularly. My brother is one of the people and he says "i want to support leicester again, but I cannot afford it". That basically sums it up.

All the clubs look at each others prices the same as they look at each others 1 year kits. You only need a few clubs to bring prices down to make other clubs follow suit.

To improve attendances, there has got to be a nationwide effort to pursuade people to come to games by whatever means necessary.

Fans also seem less interested in games. when we scored on saturday, usually people start screaming and going mental, but many just stood up and clapped, but I guess this is more to do with the fact that we are not challenging and this one goal isn't going to keep us top etc

I wasn't there on Saturday, I listened to the game on the radio, but when we scored, I had to check SSN and turn the radio up to make sure it was actually a goal. For a goal in a HOME game, the fans sure were pretty quiet, and didn't even seem that thrilled with having a goal credited to us

I wasn't there on Saturday, I listened to the game on the radio, but when we scored, I had to check SSN and turn the radio up to make sure it was actually a goal. For a goal in a HOME game, the fans sure were pretty quiet, and didn't even seem that thrilled with having a goal credited to us

When we were in the premiership and when we got promoted, EVERY goal was important in their own way. the situation now though is that a few goals will only keep us in mid-table.

If we were to start challenging for the play-offs and had something to play for, im sure people would become more excited. people around me still have season tickets from years ago and i notice how they have changed, they used to sing/clap etc, now they just sit there and mutter and scorn at you when you start to shout in anger :rolleyes:

Blame that on the commentators :rolleyes:

I listen on the way home and they do the highlights, and they just go "cross comes in, oh its a goal"...

Again a few years ago they would go... "and OH HE'S SCORED, GREAT GOAL!"

Blame that on the commentators :rolleyes:

I listen on the way home and they do the highlights, and they just go "cross comes in, oh its a goal"...

Again a few years ago they would go... "and OH HE'S SCORED, GREAT GOAL!"

Can't all be to do with the commentators though. Like you posted earlier, years ago all the fans would have been making endless amounts of noise when we scored, and you could hear that whether you listened on the radio or you were at the Odeon cinema down the road.. I just think that seeing as the club has been on a bit of a downward spiral in the past few seasons, fans are way too pessimisstic (don't know if its spelt right) to enjoy it when we score, cos they either fear we will concede 2, or it'll count for nothing, cos we're going to have another bad season

I would go every week but I am currently unemployed so cant afford £20+ so obviously if anyone is so disillusioned at the way the team is playing Id be quite happy to take your season tickets from you!!!

The best way for the club to attract more fans apart from winning and playing well would be to reduce entrance fees slightly, not everyone can afford £20+ a week, even when I was working I would struggle to get that amount of spare cash after paying bills rent etc.

When we were in the premiership and when we got promoted, EVERY goal was important in their own way. the situation now though is that a few goals will only keep us in mid-table.

If we were to start challenging for the play-offs and had something to play for, im sure people would become more excited. people around me still have season tickets from years ago and i notice how they have changed, they used to sing/clap etc, now they just sit there and mutter and scorn at you when you start to shout in anger :rolleyes:

I can think of at least two reasons for this, firstly the many false dawns we've had means that fans are still not convinced that having scored first we will actually go on and win the game, they are still expecting for it to turn into a draw or a defeat. Therefore they are reluctant to get over excited.

Secondly if they continue to play music after goals, competing with the fans in its celebration then you will, in my opinion gradually negate the need for fans to do anything but clap. After all who want's to compete with music when celebrating and trying to comunicate with those that you're with how happy you are.

Good thread this. Surely it makes sense to prioritise filling the ground. It was magnificent three years ago when we had 30,000 in the ground for fans fixtures against Crewe and the like. Firstly it motivates the players to have a full house, and as others have mentioned it means you sell more food etc.

Just a shame that the Club's marketing supremos don't seem to have these kind of creative sessions and come up with some fresh thinking.

And looking at the other side of the coin I wonder if the reason that many of us feel slightly turned off by football at the moment is because of the mercenary attitude of players who take a two year contract, have no intention of signing a new one so that they can move on and maximise their earnings. And even have the cheek to start to talking about the future when they've got the best part of half their contract still to run.

Kind of makes the we're in together line look like bollocks. More like 'I'm in it for myself, and I'll kiss the badge until the moment I get a better offer. Then I'll kiss someone else's badge'

Archived