Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
hoooom

An idea to pack stadium

Not much business sense being stated here. What most are saying is that the club should let people in for nothing, or something close to that. Whilst that would appear a nice gesture all that would do is alienate the full paying customers. I doubt whether any sensible businessman would consider such buffoonery!!!

Not much business sense being stated here. What most are saying is that the club should let people in for nothing, or something close to that. Whilst that would appear a nice gesture all that would do is alienate the full paying customers. I doubt whether any sensible businessman would consider such buffoonery!!!
Also, reduccing prices further won't guarantee attendances rising. Compared with other Championship clubs our prices are not that high.

As for increasing revenue, unless we sell more shirts, we won't make a huge amount of money. The catering is contracted out, so it doesn't matter if people buy 10 burgers, 1,000 burgers, or 10,000 - the club will not make any more money.

What gets me is that people want to pay less to watch the team, but expect the club to be able to buy quality players. I'm afraid it's one or the other, guys.

Lisa i agree our prices are not high at all, people are just looking for an excuse not to afford it. i understand you wont pay £22 each week to watch it but £22 here and there doesnt hurt anyone does it? and as someone else said, our attendances have been around the same figure, we are 11th in the attendances chart and the teams above us this season in that chart you would expect them to be due to size of club / stadium. please also remember that the away fans dont always sell out the whole block (3500) so if we get Leeds or Sheff Wed come down who always sell out the full block we will be looking at 21k atleast.

Lisa i agree our prices are not high at all, people are just looking for an excuse not to afford it. i understand you wont pay £22 each week to watch it but £22 here and there doesnt hurt anyone does it? and as someone else said, our attendances have been around the same figure, we are 11th in the attendances chart and the teams above us this season in that chart you would expect them to be due to size of club / stadium. please also remember that the away fans dont always sell out the whole block (3500) so if we get Leeds or Sheff Wed come down who always sell out the full block we will be looking at 21k atleast.
Is that entire post directed towards me?

Of course I won't pay £22 per game; I've already stumped up £284, thank you very much.

I've also pointed out that attendances cf. with other clubs isn't that bad. :dunno:

There's not much business sense in having 12,500 empty seats every home match either and then blithely looking on as you lose money.

How does giving a season ticket holder an extra season ticket alienate him?. It allows him to negotiate a reduction in his initial outlay and so, indirectly, sets a more sensible market price for season tickets.

I've lost count of the people who've told me they don't go cos it's not worth it.

There's nothing new in this perception that things are overpriced. The antiques/collectables trade, for instance, is now virtually giving drop leaf barley twist tables away whereas once they were paying upwards of £80 for them. And it's happened with other items too. The market changed, everyone had to adjust.

Mention has been made of buying more quality players and there are some believe we should but the economics say that's impossible or ludicrous and I've constantly said we should develop our own. They become assets rather than liabilities and are often better players anyway.

F

The fact of the matter is that if we continue to win we will see crowds of around 27k as more people will buy season tickets for a play off campaign.

Then towards the end of the season we will get full houses of that there is no doubt, if we are in the play off or ever competing in the top two.

Last season when our form picked up we had some gates of 27k, so winning is why the crowds are down. We have had two seasons of nothing really thus crowds have fallen.

The fact of the matter is that if we continue to win we will see crowds of around 27k as more people will buy season tickets for a play off campaign.

Then towards the end of the season we will get full houses of that there is no doubt, if we are in the play off or ever competing in the top two.

Last season when our form picked up we had some gates of 27k, so winning is why the crowds are down. We have had two seasons of nothing really thus crowds have fallen.

I dont think we got 27 K last year :unsure:

But i agree with what your saying its obvious,if the team are doing well the gates will increase its the same for every team.

There's not much business sense in having 12,500 empty seats every home match either and then blithely looking on as you lose money.

How does giving a season ticket holder an extra season ticket alienate him?. It allows him to negotiate a reduction in his initial outlay and so, indirectly, sets a more sensible market price for season tickets.

I've lost count of the people who've told me they don't go cos it's not worth it.

There's nothing new in this perception that things are overpriced. The antiques/collectables trade, for instance, is now virtually giving drop leaf barley twist tables away whereas once they were paying upwards of £80 for them. And it's happened with other items too. The market changed, everyone had to adjust.

Mention has been made of buying more quality players and there are some believe we should but the economics say that's impossible or ludicrous and I've constantly said we should develop our own. They become assets rather than liabilities and are often better players anyway.

F

Don't know what to say to those ridiculous comments ,Thracian. All you are saying is that the club should let you in cheaper. What a radical suggestion. You wouldn't last long in business with that philosophy my friend!!

Also, reduccing prices further won't guarantee attendances rising. Compared with other Championship clubs our prices are not that high.

As for increasing revenue, unless we sell more shirts, we won't make a huge amount of money. The catering is contracted out, so it doesn't matter if people buy 10 burgers, 1,000 burgers, or 10,000 - the club will not make any more money.

What gets me is that people want to pay less to watch the team, but expect the club to be able to buy quality players. I'm afraid it's one or the other, guys.

But giving you an extra season ticket will guarantee increased attendance. The club could even give you a two person pass (bearing the seat number of your additional ticket) and say the privilege will be withdrawn if the additional seat isn't filled week on week.

But giving you an extra season ticket will guarantee increased attendance. The club could even give you a two person pass (bearing the seat number of your additional ticket) and say the privilege will be withdrawn if the additional seat isn't filled week on week.

Rubbish absolute rubbish I can't believe you suggested such a ludicrous idea!!!

so me and my mate who have been Season Ticket Holders for many years no longer have to buy 2 season tickets each we buy one and get one free!!!

The 2 lads next to me do the same!!

and the same happens for every other person you don't increase the attendance you half the amount of money you bring in with only 6500 of the 13000 ST holders paying!!!

crazy..... but a laughable suggestion!!!

so me and my mate who have been Season Ticket Holders for many years no longer have to buy 2 season tickets each we buy one and get one free!!!

and the same happens for every other person you don't increase the attendance you half the amount of money you bring in with only 6500 of the 13000 ST holders paying!!!

Allelujah!!!! Common sense lands upon this thread at last!!!!

Seeing as you've both already bought your season tickets how would that be?

The free ticket would go only to the people who've already paid this season....

As for next season you look at the situation again and perhaps consider some other incentive bearing in mind that what you've suggested is indeed likely to happen.

Result, we get our extra fans this year and every season ticket holder effectively gets a discount.

I can think of various incentives that would be worthwhile next season and likely to encourage purchase of a season ticket.

For instance, loyalty discounts of various kinds.

You see it's all very well shouting rubbish but sometimes by airing ideas on forums like this, the potential problems reveal themselves and then, instead of dismissing or giving up on ideas, it might sometimes be sensible to see if they can be adjusted to be of benefit.

I am reminded of the scientist who in trying to make a light bulb experienced hundreds of frustrating false dawns but said none of those represented failure - each represented the crossing off of one possibility.

Seeing as you've both already bought your season tickets how would that be?

The free ticket would go only to the people who've already paid this season....

As for next season you look at the situation again and perhaps consider some other incentive bearing in mind that what you've suggested is indeed likely to happen.

Result, we get our extra fans this year and every season ticket holder effectively gets a discount.

I can think of various incentives that would be worthwhile next season and likely to encourage purchase of a season ticket.

For instance, loyalty discounts of various kinds.

You see it's all very well shouting rubbish but sometimes by airing ideas on forums like this, the potential problems reveal themselves and then, instead of dismissing or giving up on ideas, it might sometimes be sensible to see if they can be adjusted to be of benefit.

I am reminded of the scientist who in trying to make a light bulb experienced hundreds of frustrating false dawns but said none of those represented failure - each represented the crossing off of one possibility.

But you are still suggesting that up to 12,000 people get into the ground and the club makes virtually nothing. And supposing an attractive team comes to the Walkers. The club will lose hand over fist because it has given 12,000 seats away that they might have sold but now can't......unless that seat has been spotted empty for the previous week or so and reclaimed................absolutely crazy!!!

Instead of giving a free season ticket away, sure it would be better for the club to pick a certain match (especially one where we are likelier to get lower attendances, crap club etc.) And for that match, every season ticket holder can claim one, or maybe two free tickets.

But you are still suggesting that up to 12,000 people get into the ground and the club makes virtually nothing. And supposing an attractive team comes to the Walkers. The club will lose hand over fist because it has given 12,000 seats away that they might have sold but now can't......unless that seat has been spotted empty for the previous week or so and reclaimed................absolutely crazy!!!

I'm off out now but you're a bright lad. Just for a while think about how to make it work rather than how to pull it to pieces. We need those seats filling.

Thracian idea is good the basic principle remains, the club needs to give something away for s short term boost in attendances. Some of it will probably lead to a longer term boost but the increase would only remain if the team performs at home games.

I'm off out now but you're a bright lad. Just for a while think about how to make it work rather than how to pull it to pieces. We need those seats filling.

Come on Thracian, you're a bright lad. How could I possibly successfully suggest how to make the unworkable work.

Come on Thracian, you're a bright lad. How could I possibly successfully suggest how to make the unworkable work.

Taking your point about the major matches we could issue season ticket holders with a selective three month "introduce a friend" ticket which admits the "guest" ticket holder free to any match which features a team in the bottom half of the League from October 1 to January 1.

That would probably amount to four matches.

Crowds would increase for those "unattractive" matches and the club would have the chance to target those "guests" for a potential half season ticket in the New Year.

Better surely than just sitting about hoping someone turns up to fill those seats.

I'll argue football with anyone but don't pretend to be an administrator. I just feel we let ourselves down promotionally in the close season in various ways and we have to try to get bums back on seats before we can ever hope to sell our, hopefully, fast-improving product.

We all know that the attendances at the Walkers have not been up to scratch this season for whatever reason. Now, I've got a suggestion. Why not offer season ticket holders a free pair of tickets for the first 6000 who claim for one game (as an alternative to a Fan's fixture). That would mean an extra 12,000 fans in the stadium and as well as having the extra support, it may attract new fans to the club and a lot more money will be spent on programmes, in the shop, food etc. No ticket money would be lost as 3 or 4000 tickets would still be available on general sale and season ticket holders could be encouraged to bring people along who do not normally attend. Would this be a plausible idea? What are your thoughts??

All you people slating Thracian's idea, what do you think of the idea above. It is far more plausible as you could do it as a one-off like a fans fixture when playing someone such as Colchester/Barnsley etc. As a one-off, I believe it would work-maybe twice a season. (and the club would not lose money at all like they would with the buy one get one free season ticket offer).

I thought I'd seen it all.

First, we sell all our better players, hell no, the untried prospects, to pay off the stadium, then we give away tickets.

How does giving a season ticket holder an extra season ticket alienate him?
Ask Lush. If I'd kept all the pm's she sent me about fans fixtures, I would pass them on to you.

I thought I'd seen it all.

First, we sell all our better players, hell no, the untried prospects, to pay off the stadium, then we give away tickets.

Ask Lush. If I'd kept all the pm's she sent me about fans fixtures, I would pass them on to you.

I happen to think that standing on our own feet instead of transferring out debt to a short-term speculator is a preferable option. If you another know a way to keep all our prospects and remain solvent then don't expect me to complain.

Not sure if this hasb been mentioned, apologies if it has, my lunch break doesnt allow me to read entire threads...

The idea is very good in principle but of course some of the free/discounted ticket purchasers will be people who were going to buy a ticket to the game anyway, and thus it would reduce the revenue from the gate.

I really would like to see some innovation from the club with regards to filling the stadium. Giving away flags is not the answer. You cannot reduce prices so much that it would annoy season ticket holders into thinking theyve paid too much.

It is a dilemma, but I suggest we give away blocks of tickets to schools/colleges, or local companies (non corporate seats). That way you are assured to get NEW individuals and organisations involved with the club.

Taking your point about the major matches we could issue season ticket holders with a selective three month "introduce a friend" ticket which admits the "guest" ticket holder free to any match which features a team in the bottom half of the League from October 1 to January 1.

That would probably amount to four matches.

Crowds would increase for those "unattractive" matches and the club would have the chance to target those "guests" for a potential half season ticket in the New Year.

Better surely than just sitting about hoping someone turns up to fill those seats.

I'll argue football with anyone but don't pretend to be an administrator. I just feel we let ourselves down promotionally in the close season in various ways and we have to try to get bums back on seats before we can ever hope to sell our, hopefully, fast-improving product.

I would do the opposite why not make against top half opposition, we hardly lacking capacity. They more likely to come back following a game vs norwich then southend.

I would do the opposite why not make against top half opposition, we hardly lacking capacity. They more likely to come back following a game vs norwich then southend.

Because the point's been made that the club will sell more tickets anyway for top matches and therefore giving tickets away would cost them revenue.

I cannot see the ground being full though - I'd have thought 24,000 would be the most we're likely to get this season unless we really start stringing a run together.

Archived