Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ricey

Football Manager 2005 Diary

Riceyboy-diary.jpg

Here we go then with another Leciester City diary this time though using Football Manager 2005.

Feel free to commment on the progress of my game :)

SEASON 2004-2005

My aim: Obviously my aim is promotion, it's going to be difficult but I will be disapointed if I didn't get a top 6 finish.

Boards expectations: Win the title

Fans expectations: Challenge for the title

Transfer budget: £150,000

Wage total: 156,000 (46,000 over my budget)

I plan to go on a bargain hunt and bring in some quality players before the start of the season, I feel that although we have quality we will need that extra something if we are to achieve promotion. I'm also gonna bring in some quality coaches and a good assistant.

Let the story unfold...

Ok I'm just a few days away from the big kick-off so heres a quick summary of my pre-season activities:

Fixtures

I have a very very tasty opening day clash against Forest at the City Ground! Excited about that one. I then have Stoke and Millwall at home. In September I have 2 midlands derbys in a row, Coventry away on the 11th and Derby at home on the 18th. My last home game is against Rotherham and my last game of the season is against Wigan.

Staff changes

IN- Brian Kidd (coach), Tony Godden (coach), Alex Jones (coach) and Jim Smith (assistant)

OUT - Kenny Black (sacked)

Transfers

I decided to push my resources to the full in pres-season and really try bring in some quality to add to the squad

IN:

Ernest Faber - Free - Can play as a centre back or a right back, he has good marking attributes and very good physically.

Kerim Essediri - £120k - Tromso - This guy is world class when it comes to crossing and dribbling, I need to maximise those talents by getting him to run at players and get as many crosses in as possible

Milan Rapaic - Free - A big name signing really because he is a regular Croation international and played at Euro 2004. I'm going to re-train him to play more of a winger role rather than a forward but he has the crossing and passing abilities to work well out wide cutting inside.

Steven McGlinchie - £26k - Dunfermline - I saw this guy available for loan but he was so cheap and had that impressive finishing, acceleration, pace and determination stats that I had to sign him permantley. My only worry is that he has very poor at things like first touch but as long I'm sure he will improve in those areas.

OUT:

Tommy Wright - Season Loan - Peterborough

Pre-season Friendlies:

11-7-04 - Hereford 1-0 Leicester

14-7-04 - Dumbarton 0-1 Leicester

17-7-04 - Kilmarnock 1-1 Leicester

24-7-04 - Falkirk 0-3 Leicester

28-7-04 - Mansfield 2-2 Leicester

31-7-04 - Leicester 2-0 Barcelona :D

Tactics:

Here is my first choice line up that I will enter the season with.

I've stuck with the traditional 4-4-2 to start with and if it isn't working I may change it a few games in. I want my new winger combination of Rapaic and Essediri to get as many crosses in as possible for Scowcroft and I want Gudjonsson and Williams to play the through ball to David Connolly.

Here it goes then....

That Karim Essediri is quality in real life, Adams tried to sign him in the summer apparently.

I can't believe your not playing Jordan Stewart on the wing who's amazing on my game.

Buy Jussi-Pekka Savolainen.

Good luck mate.

47356[/snapback]

I'm giving Rapaic a chance on the left but Stewart is still in with a shout.

I'll check Jussi-Pekka Savolainen out, cheers :)

Ricey, what instructions have you given your midfield two? And what are your general team settings?

47387[/snapback]

Gudjonsson - I've set him to close down often and make a few through balls, generally his settings are set to mixed or average.

Williams - Set his creative freedom to high, t play lots of through balls, to atack and to make forward runs.

Team:

Mentality - Normal

Creative freedom - Normal

Passing stlye - Mixed/Direct

Temp - Normal

Width - Normal/Wide

Closing down - Own half

Defensive line - Deep

Tacling - Normal

Focus passing - Mixed

Marking - Zonal

Use target man (Scowcroft)

7th August 2004 - Championship

Nottingham Forest 0-2 Leicester City

What a start! :w00t: It was even in terms of chances but we looked more dangerous going forward, David Connolly converted a penalty to score on his debut and Steve McGlinchie pounced on poor goalkeeping to head in a goal on his debut also. Very promising stuff indeed and great to beat Forest in my first game especially after I had a slanging match with Fat Joe before the game. :D (2-0 for tonight anyone?)

10th August 2004 - Championship

Leicester City 0-0 Stoke City

We had plenty of chances to win this game but be failed to take them and it meant a goaless first home game, the amount we got forward was promising however.

14th August 2004 - Championship

Leicester City 3-1 Millwall

A very good performance from us to beat W*nker Wise's team. Two second half goals by Jamie Scowcroft but us into a 2-0 lead but that lead was cut back by a Kevin Braniff penalty for Millwall in the 78th minute, roles were then reversed as we got a penalty in stoppage time which Nikos Dabizas put away cooly to wrap up the points. The Rapaic and Essediri winger combo worked superbly and they were on fire. 7 points from the first 3 games....pleased with that :)

I had a slanging match with Fat Joe before the game.

Can anyone tell me what these slanging matches are like as I haven't got the game? Are they quite good or boringly repetetive?

48035[/snapback]

You can tell managers before you play their team that you think they are good, bad, that you dislike the, that you are their friend, that their team wil get relegated etc etc etc. The other manager may then react well or badly to the comments and this can effect both sides going into the match.

17th August 2004 - Championship

Leeds United 2-3 Leicester City

After a goaless first half all 5 goals came in the last 45. Gareth Williams opening the scoring with a 35 yard thunderbolt which swerved into the top corner! Matthew Spring then pulled it level for Leeds in the 57th minute but 7 minutes later Jamie Scowcroft put us back ahead and in the 83rd minute he scored again to seal the points. Spring scored a conselation goal for Leeds to make it 3-2. A superb performance from us and great to beat a good Leeds side.

21st August 2004 - Championship

Leicester City 2-0 QPR

Not the greatest of performances but a easy victory. Milan Rapaic opened his Leicester account by scoring a superb lob from the corner of the area...I'm not quite sure if it was a shot or a cross....either way a great goal! :D Lilian Nalis scored a stunning 25 yard half volley in the latter stages to complete the victory. We are 3rd in the table, a good start.

25th August 2004 - Carling Cup

Cheltenham 0-2 Leicester City

Despite playing very well it took us until the second half of stoppage time to break a tough Cheltenham side down, David Connolly with both goals

28th August 2004 - Championship

Cardiff City 1-3 Leicester City

A great performance by us and a comfortable victory. David Connolly opened the scoring with a neat finish, Dion Dublin then put us back ahead from the spot after Cardiff equalized and Milan Rapaic scored a beautiful free kick to make it three.

31th August 2004 - Championship

Leicester City 1-0 Preston North End

A 21st minture long range strike from Joey Gudjonsson was enough to see off Preston. Karim Essediri was a constant threat in this match.

11th September 2004 - Championship

Coventry City 3-0 Leicester City

A very very poor performance and we were walked all over by Coventry in a televised game. It shows we still have alot to do.

18th September 2004 - Championship

Leicester City 2-2 Derby County

We twice went ahead in this game only to see two LUCKY goals by Derby! David Connolly got both our goals but it wasn't enough to get a deserved 3 points. Disapointed to only get 1 point from the last 2 games.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived