Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ricey

Football Manager 2005 Diary

Rightly so I think. I was in my third season as manager of Leicester and safely positioned 11th in the Prem, and then won the Carling Cup beating Chelsea 3-2 in the final. Then 5-6 games later after a dip in form (although still positioned 12th) I was sacked because I had a fall out with a few players and the board felt that the staff were unhappy. Unbelievable.

59390[/snapback]

It's too easy to get sacked on FM 2005, however looking at real life there have been a lot of undeserved sakings.

At least it keeps you on your toes.

1st January 2005 - Championship

Millwall 2-1 Leicester City

We start the new year off appallingly, our 3rd defeat in a row. We got what we deserved aswell because Millwall were comfortable all the way through the match. Gareth Williams, on his return from his long term back injury, scored what turned out to be a consolation goal for us. Something needs to be done before we drop the league drastically.

3rd January 2005 - Championship

Leicester City 0-2 Leeds United

Exhausted from the Millwall defeat we lost our 4th game in a row. It was a close game however but non the less it's another defeat and we drop to 5th in the table. I tried a 3-4-1-2 formation today with Gareth Williams playing just behind the front 2, what i saw was promising despite the defeat.

7th January 2005 - Lilian Nalis, Tommy Wright, Stephen Dawson and Jamie Scowcroft all sign new contracts.

8th January 2005 - FA Cup 3rd Round

Leicester City 1-2 Charlton Athletic

Despite Martin Keown heading us ahead in the 8th minute we still managed to lose the game and be knocked out of the FA Cup. Disappointed but we have a small crisis in the league to sort out.

9th January 2005 - FA Youth Cup

Leicester City U18s 2-0 Cardiff City U18s

The run continues for our young lads after knocking out Cardiff, Dodds and Porter with the goals. They now face Tottenham in the semi-finals.

12th January 2005 - Loaned Robert Earnshaw from West Brom for 3 months. The deal was done within 2 days, a reaction signing but you might say....maybe, but lets hope he can do the stuff for us. He has the ability but having not started a single game for WBA this year his fitness is dodgy.

15th January 2005 - Championship

Queens Park Rangers 0-2 Leicester City

Talk about a instant impact! Robert Earnshaw scored both our goals to give us a very much needed win against QPR. The first was from the penalty spot after he was felled by Matthew Rose. The second was a great run and a cool finish to put the game beyond the home side. He was quality today and gave us that spark in front of goal that we so needed, I played him upfront alongside Connolly with Scowcroft playing just behind them. We now lie 4th in the table but it's very tight up there excluding Derby.

25th January 2005 - Championship

Leicester City 3-0 Cardiff City

Robert Earnshaw once again shone on his home debut for us! He scored two goals against his old club to give us another much needed victory. His first was a 30 yard scorcher and his second was a quick reaction after Connollys shot was saved, Connolly himself got our other goal with a subline close range volley. The introduction of the little Welshman has given us so much confidence and we are not only winning games, we are winning them well.

29th January 2005 - Championship

Preston North End 0-3 Leicester City

"Sooper super Rob! Sooooper Robert Earnshaw!!" was the chant from the travelling Leicester fans at Deepdale as the loan ranger Robert Earnshaw grabbed a stunning hat trick, all three goals were typical Earnshaw runs and great finishes. A good team performance but it was Earnshaw that stole the show, it's an amazing 7 goals in his first 3 games for us. More importantly though it was out third win on the bounce, propelling us back into the automatic promotion race.

5th February 2005 - Championship

Leicester City 2-0 Coventry City

Another superb victory in the M69 derby. Guess who got the opener?..........correct! Robbie Earnshaw. However the star of the show was Gareth Williams who put in a fine display and scored a stunning second on the hour mark to secure the victory. It's been a total turn around of results and performances recently, thank god.

9th February 2005 - Ian Walker signs a new contract.

11th February 2005 - FA Youth Cup Semi-Final

Leicester City U18s 2-3 Tottenham Hotspurs U18s

The young lads were so unlucky not to go through, they led the game 2-0 until the 85th minute against 10 man Spurs, but 2 late goals sent the gane into extra time where Spurs scored the only goal to creuly deny us of a place in the final. Unlucky.

12th February 2005 - Championship

Leicester City 2-1 West Ham United

Another well deserved win and excellent performance, our 5th win on the trot. Rob Earnshaw made it 9 goals in 5 games with the opening goal, Teddy Sheringham then equalized but David Connolly got the winner just before half time. Earnshow is banging in the goals, my only worry is if he strains a muscle with all the sumasaults he is doing at he moment ;)

Current Championship League Table

25th January 2005 - Championship

Leicester City 3-0 Cardiff City

Robert Earnshaw once again shone on his home debut for us! He scored two goals against his old club to give us another much needed victory. His first was a 30 yard scorcher and his second was a quick reaction after Connollys shot was saved, Connolly himself got our other goal with a subline close range volley. The introduction of the little Welshman has given us so much confidence and we are not only winning games, we are winning them well.

29th January 2005 - Championship

Preston North End 0-3 Leicester City

"Sooper super Rob! Sooooper Robert Earnshaw!!" was the chant from the travelling Leicester fans at Deepdale as the loan ranger Robert Earnshaw grabbed a stunning hat trick, all three goals were typical Earnshaw runs and great finishes. A good team performance but it was Earnshaw that stole the show, it's an amazing 7 goals in his first 3 games for us. More importantly though it was out third win on the bounce, propelling us back into the automatic promotion race.

Leicester City 2-0 Cardiff City

Another superb victory in the M69 derby. Guess who got the opener?..........correct! Robbie Earnshaw. However the star of the show was Gareth Williams who put in a fine display and scored a stunning second on the hour mark to secure the victory. It's been a total turn around of results and performances recently, thank god.

9th February 2005 - Ian Walker signs a new contract.

11th February 2005 - FA Youth Cup Semi-Final

Leicester City U18s 2-3 Tottenham Hotspurs U18s

The young lads were so unlucky not to go through, they led the game 2-0 until the 85th minute against 10 man Spurs, but 2 late goals sent the gane into extra time where Spurs scored the only goal to creuly deny us of a place in the final. Unlucky.

12th February 2005 - Championship

Leicester City 2-1 West Ham United

Another well deserved win and excellent performance, our 5th win on the trot. Rob Earnshaw made it 9 goals in 5 games with the opening goal, Teddy Sheringham then equalized but David Connolly got the winner just before half time. Earnshow is banging in the goals, my only worry is if he strains a muscle with all the sumasaults he is doing at he moment ;)

Current Championship League Table

59763[/snapback]

Excellent stuff...shrewd decision in bringing Earnshaw in, hope he keeps up the form ;)

Great signing there Ricey - how long have you got him for, and can you afford to buy him outright?

59769[/snapback]

I signed him on a 3 month deal, it ends on the 12th of April. I can't afford to sign him permantley as West Brom want £3m for him :(

I'm gonna try extend the loan deal till the end of the season soon though.

Another superb victory in the M69 derby.

I didn't realise Cardiff were involved in the M69 Derby. ;)

Well done on Earnshaw - I tend to find that it's difficult to renew a loan, clubs seem too reluctant about it. <_<

Well done on Earnshaw - I tend to find that it's difficult to renew a loan, clubs seem too reluctant about it. <_<

59835[/snapback]

What you on about Scowy, it says Coventry in my post ;):P

59835[/snapback]

I re-newed Mads Timm's loan for my Lincoln team after the initial 3 months in November time, and I really am quite glad, with him sitting top of League 2's scoring list with 26 goals so far this season in mid-January.

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the game at the moment.

I gave my copy to my mate because it was his birthday on Monday, while I wait for LCFC world to send me the free one.

Hurry up!!

15th February 2005 - Championship

Reading 2-0 Leicester City

A disapointing performance in total contrast to recent showings. Reading deserved the victory and they are now right up there with us fighting for promotion.

20th February 2005 - Championship

Derby County 3-1 Leicester City

:( A top of the table clash, screened live on TV and against your local rivals. It was a massive game but in the end Derby were far supreme. David Connolly got our goal but Derbys sharpness infront of goal lost us the game.

26th February 2005 - Championship

Leicester City 2-2 Burnley

Should of won. We dominated the game and lead 2-0 but still we managed to end the game level, beating teams like Burnley is vital if we are to get that automatic promotion place. James Scowcroft and Lilian Nalis got our goals, Nalis' powerful long-range effort won goal of the month.

5th March 2005 - Championship

Crewe Alexandra 1-2 Leicester City

Crewe took the lead early on in this game and I thought it would be another one of those days. However Jamie Scowcroft equalized in the 40th minute and just when I thought we'd have to settle for a point Gareth Williams sqeezed a shot past the Crewe keeper with what turned out to be the last kick of the game. We are now 3rd, a point behind Leeds in 2nd but still only 4 points from going out of the play-off places.

8th March 2005 - Championship

Leicester City 2-1 Watford

A fantastic performance from us, Williams and Earnshaw in particular. Robbie Earnshaw scored both goals goals in a game we deserved to win.

12th March 2005 - Championship

Sheffield United 2-2 Leicester City

Rob Earnshaw scored the opener in the first minute but Sheff Utd then went on to take a 2-1 lead, subtistute Stephen McGlinchie scored with 9 mins left to grab a point.

19th March 2005 - Championship

Sunderland 1-1 Leicester City

Sunderland absolutley dominated the game and had nearly 30 shots on goal, however they couldn't convert their chances and a Peter Canero goal in the dying seconds secured a unlikely point for us. The race for the second automatic promotion spot is very very close, we need to start getting maximum points though before we lose touch.

2nd April 2005 - Championship

Leicester City 1-0 Brighton & Hove Albion

A close game but we managed to sneak all 3 points Milan Rapaic goal. This turned out to be Robert Earnshaws last game for the club after he picked up a hamstring injury and West Brom wouldn't allow an extension, he will be missed for the final 6 games of the season.

10th April 2005 - Championship

Leicester City 4-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

A massive game for us which resulted in a fantastic result. Jamie Scowcroft scored a hat-trick of carbon copy goals, all three were Rapaic crosses from the left headed in by the Striker. Gareth Williams completed the drubbing with a good strike. We are 3 points behind Leeds who are in 2nd with 5 games left, it's going to go to the wire.

16th April 2005 - Championship

Gillingham 0-0 Leicester City

A mediocre performance in a game we needed to win. It means Leeds now stretch the gap to 5 points and with only 4 games left the chance of us going up automatically is looking slim. We will give it a bloody good though though.

Current Championship Standings

Ooh that's too close to call. One bad defeat and you could slip down and automatic promotion would be practically impossible. Bad time to lose Earnshaw.

19th April 2005 - Championship

Leicester City 1-0 Ipswich Town

A Milan Rapaic free kick gave us 3 vital points. It was a tight game but the win was much needed because once again Leeds also won.

23rd April 2005 - Championship

Plymouth Argyle 0-1 Leicester City

Another tight victory, Stephen McGlinchie scoring deep into stoppage time to snatch the victory. Leeds only managed to draw today so we are now only 3 points away from them but with only 2 games to go.

30th April 2005 - Championship

Leicester City 0-0 Rotherham United

A disapointing stakemate which signals the end of our automatic promotion challenge, Leeds claim the 2nd place spot. Disapointed to have to settle for the play-offs but I feel confident ahead of them, however David Connolly will be out for 2 months after he picked up an injury in this game :(

8th April 2005 - Championship

Wigan Athletic 1-0 Leicester City

I rested key players for the final game of the season which we narrowly lost to relegated Wigan. We finish 3rd in the league and will face Wolves in the Play-off Semis in just over a weeks time. More bad injury news though, Joey Gudjonsson will miss both legs after picking up a injury in training :(

COME ON LEICESTER!!!

you recently beat Wolves 4-0 so lets hope theyre intimidated! Tough luck on missing out and with the injuries, hopefully the squad will cope :unsure: does it mean a central midfield of Nalis and Williams? :S

16th May 2005 - Championship Play-Off Semi-Final 1st leg

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-0 Leicester City

Gutted :( We had alot of the play and created chances but nothing ever matieralized, Kenny Miller scrambled in the winner in the 82nd minute to make it a a very very important second leg at the Walkers Stadium. Martin Keown had out best chance with a free header from 3 yards out. With the injuries to Gudjonsson and Connolly I brought in two yougsters in Dawson and McGlinchie, I may drop Dawson for the second leg and play very very attacking football. The second leg is a massive game!

19th May 2005 - Championship Play-Off Semi-Final 2nd leg

Leicester City vs Wolverhampton Wanderers

It's a dry warm summers evening at the Walkers Stadium for the 2nd leg of the Play-Off Semi-Final we the aggregrate score 1-0 in Wolves favour. I decided to stick with the same line up but play Nalis in more of an attacking role so hopefuly he can gets some long range efforts on goal. We will go at it from the off in search of goals.

LEICESTER (3-4-1-2): Walker, Faber, Dabizas, Keown, Essediri, Williams, Dawson, Nalis, Rapaic, Scowcroft, McGlinchie.

WOLVES (4-3-2-1): Jones, Naylor, Richards, Craddock, Clyde, Bullard, Ince, Olofinjanya, Ndah, Cameron, Ganea.

20 mins - Jamie Scowcrofts close range header is punched away by the keeper

29 mins - McGlinchie does superbly to position himself for a shot in the area, but the shot is saved easily. Should of done better.

30 mins - Rapaic puts a shot just over.

HALF-TIME

45 mins - Dean Sturridge nearly scores for Wolves but his shot is tipped over by Walker.

52 mins - Jody Craddock handles the ball in the area from a corner, penalty to Leicester! Gareth Williams stepped up.......................and blasted the ball home!!!!!! 1-0 to Leicester!

67 mins - Scowcroft nearly makes it 2 with a close range volley but the ball goes out for a corner after the keeper saved. Rapaics corner is headed away to Ndah who takes too long in possesion and Rapaic knicks the ball off him, he passes it to Stepen McGlinchie who is totally free in the area..............the flag stays down................and McGlinchie hammers the ball home!!!!!! 2-0 to Leicester!

71 mins - Wolves break forward and release Ganea, who slots the ball past Walker and pulls the tie level out of nothing! 2-1 now.

FULL TIME - We pile forward but the game goes into extra-time.

111 mins - Both sides press forward but neither can create a clear cut chance. Lilian Nalis goes close with a 30 yarder.

EXTRA-TIME FULL-TIME - With the scores level and away goals not counting the game goes to a nerve wracking penalty shoot-out. I don't think my heart can take this.

WOLVES : Bjorklund steps up..................and scores! 1-0 Wolves

LEICESTER: McGlinchie puts the ball down.................and buries it! 1-1

WOLVES: Ganea runs up............................and it's saved by Walker!! 1-1

LEICESTER: Nalis with a chance to put us ahead............................but it's saved aswell! Still 1-1

WOLVES: Seoul Ki-Hyeon with the next kick..........................but once again it's saved!!! Still 1-1.

LEICESTER: Dion Dublin with yet another chance to put us ahead..................grrrrr it's saved again!!! STILL 1-1!

WOLVES: Naylor makes his run up......................and slots it home!!! 2-1 to Wolves

LEICESTER: Williams now with a chance to pull level...................but it's saved AGAIN!!!! 2-1 to Wolves

WOLVES: Wolves go through if Olofinjana can score.........................but he puts it wide!!! We still have a chance.

LEICESTER: Rapaic needs to score to keep us in it............................and he does!!!! 2-2.

WOLVES: Ndah now in sudden death..............................he puts it high and wide!!!!! What a chance we have!

LEICESTER: Essediri with the chance to put is in the Final, he steps up.......................and.......SCOOORES!!!! We are through to the final!!! :D

*Takes a deep breath*

An unbelievabley tense, exciting and nervewracking game with so many twists! My heart can't take much more. We deserved it though, not only because we dominated the game and played superbly but due to our efforts throughout the season. The players need to rest noe ready for the big game against Sunderland. On to the Millenium Stadium we march!!

19th May 2005 - Championship Play-Off Semi-Final 2nd leg

Leicester City vs Wolverhampton Wanderers

It's a dry warm summers evening at the Walkers Stadium for the 2nd leg of the Play-Off Semi-Final we the aggregrate score 1-0 in Wolves favour. I decided to stick with the same line up but play Nalis in more of an attacking role so hopefuly he can gets some long range efforts on goal. We will go at it from the off in search of goals.

LEICESTER (3-4-1-2): Walker, Faber, Dabizas, Keown, Essediri, Williams, Dawson, Nalis, Rapaic, Scowcroft, McGlinchie.

WOLVES (4-3-2-1): Jones, Naylor, Richards, Craddock, Clyde, Bullard, Ince, Olofinjanya, Ndah, Cameron, Ganea.

20 mins - Jamie Scowcrofts close range header is punched away by the keeper

29 mins - McGlinchie does superbly to position himself for a shot in the area, but the shot is saved easily. Should of done better.

30 mins - Rapaic puts a shot just over.

HALF-TIME

45 mins - Dean Sturridge nearly scores for Wolves but his shot is tipped over by Walker.

52 mins - Jody Craddock handles the ball in the area from a corner, penalty to Leicester! Gareth Williams stepped up.......................and blasted the ball home!!!!!! 1-0 to Leicester!

67 mins - Scowcroft nearly makes it 2 with a close range volley but the ball goes out for a corner after the keeper saved. Rapaics corner is headed away to Ndah who takes too long in possesion and Rapaic knicks the ball off him, he passes it to Stepen McGlinchie who is totally free in the area..............the flag stays down................and McGlinchie hammers the ball home!!!!!! 2-0 to Leicester!

71 mins - Wolves break forward and release Ganea, who slots the ball past Walker and pulls the tie level out of nothing! 2-1 now.

FULL TIME - We pile forward but the game goes into extra-time.

111 mins - Both sides press forward but neither can create a clear cut chance. Lilian Nalis goes close with a 30 yarder.

EXTRA-TIME FULL-TIME - With the scores level and away goals not counting the game goes to a nerve wracking penalty shoot-out. I don't think my heart can take this.

WOLVES : Bjorklund steps up..................and scores! 1-0 Wolves

LEICESTER: McGlinchie puts the ball down.................and buries it! 1-1

WOLVES: Ganea runs up............................and it's saved by Walker!! 1-1

LEICESTER: Nalis with a chance to put us ahead............................but it's saved aswell! Still 1-1

WOLVES: Seoul Ki-Hyeon with the next kick..........................but once again it's saved!!! Still 1-1.

LEICESTER: Dion Dublin with yet another chance to put us ahead..................grrrrr it's saved again!!! STILL 1-1!

WOLVES: Naylor makes his run up......................and slots it home!!! 2-1 to Wolves

LEICESTER: Williams now with a chance to pull level...................but it's saved AGAIN!!!! 2-1 to Wolves

WOLVES: Wolves go through if Olofinjana can score.........................but he puts it wide!!! We still have a chance.

LEICESTER: Rapaic needs to score to keep us in it............................and he does!!!! 2-2.

WOLVES: Ndah now in sudden death..............................he puts it high and wide!!!!! What a chance we have!

LEICESTER: Essediri with the chance to put is in the Final, he steps up.......................and.......SCOOORES!!!! We are through to the final!!! :D

*Takes a deep breath*

An unbelievabley tense, exciting and nervewracking game with so many twists! My heart can't take much more. We deserved it though, not only because we dominated the game and played superbly but due to our efforts throughout the season. The players need to rest noe ready for the big game against Sunderland. On to the Millenium Stadium we march!!

61816[/snapback]

My heart was in my mouth reading that bit about the penalty shoot out ha ha

25th May 2005 - Stephen McGlinchie will miss the Play-off final due to being on intyernational duty :( God knows who I'll play upfront now.

62193[/snapback]

Can't you withdraw him from the squad on the international instructions?

Archived