Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Head Honcho

Would you support MM if he sacks

A follow on from the when will kelly be sacked thread:

How many of you would support MM if he was to take over and sack Kelly straight away?

In the long term interests of the club I'd have to say it would probably be for the best.

I do like RK but I just can't see him improving as a manager, his coaching ability is without doubt but he seems to want to run with the horses and the hounds and you just can't do that as a manager.

You have to have some kind of distance between you and your players and I think that's where I think the current problems we are having lie.

..............apart from not being able to score :ph34r:

I'd be pretty focked off to be honest. Everyone seems to think we will automatically get someone like Curbishley. Even the so-called more acceptable or realistic candidates like Newell and Cotterill have their downsides. Mike Newell did a decent job in previous seasons but then so did Kelly. Cotterill would hardly give everyone the attacking football they seem to desperately crave. One point from three games and suddenly BartonFox is right again. Another three or four unbeaten and he'll disappear. That's not meant as a stab against him, but the people who suddenly turn up in his wake every time we lose a game. It's going to happen when we have no money and injuries to key players.

I dread to think what the expectations are going to be like when Mandaric takes over. Of course it could all go swimmingly either with or without Kelly but it's no magic wand and even a couple of million (which I am far from certain that Mandaric will want to spend in January) would not guarantee a play-off place. Then you're in the business of Kelly being sacked, someone else taking over, finishing mid-table and fans turning on Mandaric for sacking Kelly.

Don't think it couldn't happen.

tbh i would cry if mm sacked rob kelly

imho rob kelly might not be tacticaly briliant but hes still a good motivator

if he got some one in like curbs to be director of football or summet i would be well happy :scarf::bounce::appl:

I would be annoyed becuase Rob Kelly has done nothing wrong to deserve a sacking. However if a big name manager was to be in contact with Mandaric i would love Rob Kelly to stay at the club as maybe an assistant. I very much doubt any of the above will happen.

i agree, rob seems an excellent coach but tactically he is poor as a manager.

I hope mm doesnt still talk to jim smith :cry:

or this fella i would like to see what RK could do with some dosh, maybe he could then buy a decent center forward with some height (and ability to head) and a decent 100%-er in midfield who can create.

or this fella i would like to see what RK could do with some dosh, maybe he could then buy a decent center forward with some height (and ability to head) and a decent 100%-er in midfield who can create.

:thumbup:

Especially with regards to the bloke you linked. I think I'd have to hang myself if Milan brought that oaf in. :cry:

Still, hardly likely after last time, so I'll be here a little while longer yet. :thumbup:

A follow on from the when will kelly be sacked thread:

How many of you would support MM if he was to take over and sack Kelly straight away?

In the long term interests of the club I'd have to say it would probably be for the best.

I do like RK but I just can't see him improving as a manager, his coaching ability is without doubt but he seems to want to run with the horses and the hounds and you just can't do that as a manager.

You have to have some kind of distance between you and your players and I think that's where I think the current problems we are having lie.

..............apart from not being able to score :ph34r:

This is not a 'black & white' issue - sack Kelly or keep him - I think it's a matter of who Kelly can work with / for - ie a 'Director of Football' (old time 'General Manager'). I really do think that Kelly is a good coach , but a c**p manager (witness some of his transfer dealings - Johnson, Low) - he should work with, or for, someone who knows the business. Mandaric, we know likes Directors of Football - I think that's the way we'll go. With who, I've no idea !

People keep pointing out that Johnson and Low were shit transfers. Granted, Johnson is quite useless, and Low seems to have gone off the boil a little - perhaps the adrenaline he had making the step up has worn off already.

But when you have to gamble on older ex-Premiership or younger unproven lower-league players due to financial restraints, what do you expect? Really?

I mean, seriously, if you all think you could have managed to find better players for free (and be able to attract them to the club itself) then we should have an interesting list of applicants for the managers job should RK leave his post. :whistle:

How about this - let's blame the board for letting Joey go so easily. Perhaps if we had kept Joey, our midfield wouldn't be such a huge issue. :whistle:

it depends i suppose but i doubt if it did happen if kelly would be out of a job for very long.

ive seen plenty of managers come and go whether ive wanted them to or not.

whatever happens i think kelly will be looked upon fondly by the fans unlike some previous managers.

People keep pointing out that Johnson and Low were shit transfers. Granted, Johnson is quite useless, and Low seems to have gone off the boil a little - perhaps the adrenaline he had making the step up has worn off already.

But when you have to gamble on older ex-Premiership or younger unproven lower-league players due to financial restraints, what do you expect? Really?

I mean, seriously, if you all think you could have managed to find better players for free (and be able to attract them to the club itself) then we should have an interesting list of applicants for the managers job should RK leave his post. :whistle:

How about this - let's blame the board for letting Joey go so easily. Perhaps if we had kept Joey, our midfield wouldn't be such a huge issue. :whistle:

I agree with you to some extent but your not telling me there aren't better players then Johnson out there :o

Please don't underestimate how bad a signing this was!

We could have got someone in who could be running our midfield but we didn't and look at the state of it :mad:

OK it was a gamble but if you was MM would you trust RK to spend your money it wisely?

Kelly's fine as long as you want mid table finishes but Milan wants us back in the Prem so I'm afraid Kelly's departure is inevitable.

Although there is no reason why he couldnt just go back to being a coach for us. I think that is probably what will happen, whether Milan does it as soon as he is in charge I dont know.

I agree with you to some extent but your not telling me there aren't better players then Johnson out there :o

We could have got someone in who could be running our midfield but we didn't and look at the state of it :mad:

OK it was a gamble but if you was MM would you trust RK to spend your money it wisely?

Don't worry, I don't underestimate it. Johnson has proven to be truly awful. Big mistake signing him. Hindsight is great, though. ;)

I'm not saying there were no better options out there. I'm saying it's quite likely that it was difficult first to find them and second to convince them to join us.

That Kenny Lunt bloke's name was banded about the place during the summer - perhaps we'd have been better off with him rather than Johnson (don't think that's in any doubt) - but would he really have come here? With other teams on the lookout during the summer, we faced competition right from the off - so we had to impress players enough to make them want to come, and if we didn't we'd lose out.

The Low transfer, on the other hand, was along the right lines - find cheap lower league players who you think could make the step up. Unfortunately, so far, it doesn't seem Low in particular has managed to make the step up, which is a shame.

As for my preference in Milan's soon-to-be position - yes, I think I'd back Kelly in January. See what he can do with a quarter of a million, maybe half a million. Obviously, I wouldn't let him go nuts with a couple of million - certainly not in January, least ways. If he can demonstrate an eye for a decent player or two with an amount like 250-500k then he could be given a chance with some more cash in the summer. If he buys more Andy Johnsons who don't hail from Everton FC, then reconsideration will be required.

Kelly is a good coach but not a good manager.

I will back MM 100% if he sacked Rob Kelly.

I think Kelly is more likely to leave by mutual consent.

"Mutual consent" is pretty much always being sacked. But keeping it polite.

he is indeed crap, (and as LWICD) says there weren't any better options available, especially for zippidy-doo-dar money-wise.

"Mutual consent" is pretty much always being sacked. But keeping it polite.

Usually that means you were sacked in such a way that you can't sue your former employer later.

That's usually your choice -

1) Go quietly, and we'll say it was your decision as much as ours - doesn't look so bad on your employment records. So long as you don't try to sue us later.

2) Threaten to sue us if you like, and we'll say we sacked you - that won't look too clever on your records.

;)

I'd very annoyed, give the man who saved us from relegation some time first.

Review the situation at the end of the season - if Kelly has wasted money and got us nowhere then maybe.

Archived