Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Clearly there has been a grave misjudgement of RK's approach to games

Repeat show please - and win our way out of trouble!

Robert Kelly wants Leicester City to turn the clock back to just under a year ago - and win their way out of trouble. by bill anderson That is the target set by the City boss who shuns the notion that, after four defeats in a row and only one point taken from the last 18, they should stonewall to a point at any price at Wolves on Saturday.

Back at the end of January, successive victories over QPR, Wolves and Brighton started the survival bandwagon rolling. And, as it worked when Kelly was thrown into the hot seat following the departure of Craig Levein, the belief is that this is the only way to recover now.

Playing for draws to try to get back on an even keel is not an option and Kelly said: "I don't think we can do that. If you set your stall out for a draw, it increases the risk of losing. What happens then is it takes one slip-up or one piece of magic from the opposition and you have lost out.

"I learned that lesson early on in my coaching career and last season we won our way out of trouble by not being negative but by going out to win the games.

"This season, too, we have gone in with game plans designed to win, not draw, games and if it doesn't go to plan then, yes, your next target is not to get beaten.

"Taking a defensive stance from the start is asking for trouble because it invites the opposition on to you and it also sends the wrong message to the players that you don't believe they can win.

"I do believe in this group of players."

There was a lift to City's spirits even under the gloom of Saturday's 4-1 defeat by Sheffield Wednesday with Gareth Williams returning to action after a bad ankle injury. His inspirational touches have been missing and he might be the catalyst for improvement.

Kelly said: "He is one who gives us another option. He got 45 minutes, coming on earlier than he thought, and he is a good addition to the squad."

During recent weeks, there has been almost constant change to the line-up which is contrary to Kelly's way of doing things - but injuries have forced his hand.

The Sheffield Wednesday clash was a rare exception and he said: "I prefer to give the team a chance to settle down and we have not been able to do that. I am not making that an excuse for our recent run of form.

"The team I have put out have worked on the training ground with a view to winning the games.

"It is nice to name an unchanged team but we have not had that luxury very often."

At least two changes are on the cards for Saturday. Skipper Paddy McCarthy is suspended after his red card against Sheffield Wednesday, while midfielder Danny Tiatto is ruled out with a foot injury that saw him substituted at the break.

That makes the return of Williams to the fold an even bigger boost as City now need all the help they can get.

The personnel is the problem, then.

As much as the management would like them to attack, they're just not up to it. Especially with the midfield that's so short on depth and quality in attack.

That's what I've been saying for months.....the players are appalling.

Erm... so we're going to let him get away with saying he plays to win when he packs the midfield with defenders as soon as we have one or two injuries?

A manager who wanted to play to win would have recognised our strikers don't score goals and signed a striker during his tenure instead of releasing one and signing three defenders, three midfielders and [ERROR: A fatal error has occurred... uncategorisable - Low, J. Abort, Retry, Ignore or Send Back to Northampton]

It sure doesn't like Kelly believes in what he's saying though, as it is painfully obvious that he hasn't been looking to win games this season. He has been playing for draws, and it has caused us to lose games. Surely now though after saying this we have got to expect our side to take something from Wolves, or at least put in a hugely improved performance from recent weeks. Otherwise Kelly should be strung up and shot.

Erm... so we're going to let him get away with saying he plays to win when he packs the midfield with defenders as soon as we have one or two injuries?

A manager who wanted to play to win would have recognised our strikers don't score goals and signed a striker during his tenure instead of releasing one and signing three defenders, three midfielders and [ERROR: A fatal error has occurred... uncategorisable - Low, J. Abort, Retry, Ignore or Send Back to Northampton]

Gossip is that they payed the transfer fee when we took him in, saying that does Kelly have what coaching badges?

Just for you Fezz - Shame I can't link it in here. :P

That' s about as convincing as a "No Entry" sign on a prostitute's fanny.

I used to at least believe in Kelly's sincerity but comments about Weso being ready then not even getting on the bench and players disappearing off the radar without explanation have left me utterly sceptical.

But if Kelly truly believes what he's done is setting his stall out to genuinely attack matches he must either be totally misguided or suffering from delusions.

I used to at least believe in Kelly's sincerity but comments about Weso being ready then not even getting on the bench and players disappearing off the radar without explanation have left me utterly sceptical.

But if Kelly truly believes what he's done is setting his stall out to genuinely attack matches he must either be totally misguided or suffering from delusions.

:laugh: :D

Thracian, just remember NO, means NO!!!!!!

Funny you should mention that, I looked at Rob Kelly profile on that.

Playing mentality: "Very Cautious" :whistle:

Damn it... Fifa Manager 07 hasnt got the real managers names this year for some reason, the real clubs and players (which is why i like it compared to pro-evo).

Archived