Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Reserve Team Football

The club felt unfairly dealt with when we were thrown out of the league. I can remember when the FCC were told, and of course we had our questions. The club said that the only thing that we could do was to arrange some 'behind closed doors friendlies'. They were asked if they could set up a reserve league themselves, or if there were any other leagues that they could join. They said "no".

Having watched Weso struggle on Saturday, and seeing how unfit Matty Fryatt looks, I thought I'd have a little scout around Tinternet. First port of call was the Football League site. And look what I found.

Oh look, it's the Pontins Holidays League fixture list. Even WBA are involved.

I don't know what to make of this. Obviously a number of theories are flying around my head, but I thought I'd see what everyone else thought, just for the hell of it.

Excuse my ignorance, but can anyone fill me in on why were we thrown out? I don't know much about the situation with the reserve team, but I think it is painfully obvious this season how much we miss having one.
We were in the FA Premier League reserves, but they decided it should only be Premiership teams that compete in it. So they chucked us and a few others out.

Not running a reserve team saves money, end of.

That's how bad things have got!!!!

If that's true then it's a joke and if the board etc cannot see the value of a reserve team and cannot be arsed to setup matches, then they should no longer be in charge of our club..........let's hope MM see's things differently!!!

The club felt unfairly dealt with when we were thrown out of the league. I can remember when the FCC were told, and of course we had our questions. The club said that the only thing that we could do was to arrange some 'behind closed doors friendlies'. They were asked if they could set up a reserve league themselves, or if there were any other leagues that they could join. They said "no".

Having watched Weso struggle on Saturday, and seeing how unfit Matty Fryatt looks, I thought I'd have a little scout around Tinternet. First port of call was the Football League site. And look what I found.

Oh look, it's the Pontins Holidays League fixture list. Even WBA are involved.

I don't know what to make of this. Obviously a number of theories are flying around my head, but I thought I'd see what everyone else thought, just for the hell of it.

The impression I got was that City were, of course, well aware of this League but either:

a) Believed they would somehow avoid being shunted out of the Premier Reserve League.

b) Because of this failed to make the decision to join the Pontins in time or, as I believe:

c) Considered the whole thing beneath their dignity because the standard was nothing like as high generally and not much better than the Academy League, where most of city's reserves played anyway.

It was a short-sighted attitude.

And, as a result, I doubt we've ever fielded a team this season of fully match-fit players.

And the ones who aren't fit and aren't playing will be falling further back on a daily basis.

It's a pity there's no mid-season gap. We could do pre-season training all over again!

Thanks for that post Thracian. We could do with pre-season again, but then the players hardly looked tip-top for the Luton game did they?

With the football-for-fairies fixtures they had I was not surprised. Even the one decent friendly they played against Real Sociedad City played so negatively they rarely left the defensive half of the field so it would hardly have done them any good fitness wise. :whistle:

With the football-for-fairies fixtures they had I was not surprised. Even the one decent friendly they played against Real Sociedad City played so negatively they rarely left the defensive half of the field so it would hardly have done them any good fitness wise. :whistle:

As I said at the time that wasn't entirely their fault, Real Socieded are the most negative team in La Liga.

Archived