Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Head Honcho

Unfittest squad in the League

.........are we one of the unfittest squads in the league and if so why?

I say this not just because of the previous two games where our fitness levels were really put to the test, but because of the number of players in the squad who just don't look like they are up to the job physically.

A minor injury means a few weeks out where normally you'd expect a week and when they are fit again they have to regain their fitness.

Ok all clubs get injuries and players do need to regain their fitness but it seems that at our club the process is a long one.

.........are we one of the unfittest squads in the league and if so why?

I say this not just because of the previous two games where our fitness levels were really put to the test, but because of the number of players in the squad who just don't look like they are up to the job physically.

A minor injury means a few weeks out where normally you'd expect a week and when they are fit again they have to regain their fitness.

Ok all clubs get injuries and players do need to regain their fitness but it seems that at our club the process is a long one.

Hate to bring it up again but the lack of a reserve team is a big problem in my opinion. It means some players have had to come back before playing any sort of football other than training games amongst themselves. It doesn't matter what sport you're playing, to come back and play a competitive match having been out for X weeks without having a practice match is tough. Looking at the team out yesterday I would doubt whether O'Grady, Wesolowski and Kenton were fit and then players like McCarthy, Fryatt and Stearman were lacking match sharpness. Those are the 6 that came in. I think players like Kisnorbo, Porter, Williams and Hughes looked fit enough although Williams didn't look like he wanted to show it at times.

Hate to bring it up again but the lack of a reserve team is a big problem in my opinion. It means some players have had to come back before playing any sort of football other than training games amongst themselves. It doesn't matter what sport you're playing, to come back and play a competitive match having been out for X weeks without having a practice match is tough. Looking at the team out yesterday I would doubt whether O'Grady, Wesolowski and Kenton were fit and then players like McCarthy, Fryatt and Stearman were lacking match sharpness. Those are the 6 that came in. I think players like Kisnorbo, Porter, Williams and Hughes looked fit enough although Williams didn't look like he wanted to show it at times.

What's the situation with the reserves? Has the reserve team been abolished or are their just no fixtures scheduled at the moment?

What's the situation with the reserves? Has the reserve team been abolished or are their just no fixtures scheduled at the moment?

I'm not an authority on the matter but we haven't registered for any available reserve league since being thrown out of the Premiership Reserve League at the end of last season. This could be due to us not wanting to have to travel long distances for away reserve games etc but money has played a part in it too as far as I know. We simply can't afford to either a) make alterations to Belvoir Drive to play reserve team football there b) use another club's ground for reserve fixtures like we've done in the past (Kettering and Hinckley) c) use Filbert Way (maybe more because of the pitch getting ruined with very little revenue being made from playing a reserve game there. Playing rugby matches there brings in money for the club I presume).

The club claim there is a reserve team but its behind closed doors fixtures and less of them.

About four games first half of the season.

Sounded to me like a real Rag, Tag and Bobtail mixture of players but if that was the total of games its hardly likely to keep players fit for a League and Cup half season of 23 matches and more.

i think that's been the main problem all season.

About four games first half of the season.

Sounded to me like a real Rag, Tag and Bobtail mixture of players but if that was the total of games its hardly likely to keep players fit for a League and Cup half season of 23 matches and more.

As a man said after yesterday's match on the radio, even local club sides that are only semi-professional have reserve teams. For a professional sports club not to have one is stupid in my opinion. If it's a purely financial reason it's very sad indeed. More evidence of why we need investment as soon as possible.

Thanks for the replies. I just looked on wikipedia, what you say is true JohnBlueFox. Apparantely we were playing in the FA Premier Reserve League until this season, but all non-Premiership teams have been chucked out. We don't seem to have a team registered for the Football Combination, which is the equivalent competitions for reserve teams in the Football League. So in others words, our reserve team is not registered in any league competition this season.

As a man said after yesterday's match on the radio, even local club sides that are only semi-professional have reserve teams. For a professional sports club not to have one is stupid in my opinion. If it's a purely financial reason it's very sad indeed. More evidence of why we need investment as soon as possible.

Taggart on the radio after the match said there was "no money in the academy" and "no money" in other parts of the club (I forget what he was refering to). He's doing youth coaching and scouting for free. I agree, we need investment asap, and not just on transfer fees and wages for new players, the whole club has been starved of money since Taylor.

Taggart on the radio after the match said there was "no money in the academy" and "no money" in other parts of the club (I forget what he was refering to). He's doing youth coaching and scouting for free. I agree, we need investment asap, and not just on transfer fees and wages for new players, the whole club has been starved of money since Taylor.

I heard Taggart say that too. I think there is some money made available at Academy level but many of the coaches are part-time. The main coaches of the older age groups are full time so must get paid a proper wage but a lot of the coaches must work for free or very little. Matt Goodwin, who was an Academy player up until this season, has become a coach of one of the young age groups and he's got a brother who uses this forum so he'd know more about how much money the Academy gets each year than anyone else.

A lack of reserve team football is a joke tbh but just under half of the championship are in the same boat of us.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Birmingham, Derby and WBA are registered for reserve team football and look where they are in the league.

That's a good point, I don't really know about other clubs and whether they registered for different Reserve Leagues or not but if the teams you mentioned didn't then they are doing well despite it.

A lack of reserve team football is a joke tbh but just under half of the championship are in the same boat of us.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Birmingham, Derby and WBA are registered for reserve team football and look where they are in the league.

Not many have no reserve team unfortunately. There's another league for Football League reserve teams from the "North" called the Pontin's Holiday League. That's where WBA and Birmingham are registered. Derby don't appear to be there, so maybe they're in the same situation. I notice York City Reserves are participating. If a recently near-bankrupt non-league side can afford a reserve team, we really should :mellow:

It's not an excuse for our performances in the Championship, but it's hard to see how players can be match fit if they are recovering from an injury or just haven't played much first team football for a while without a reserve team.

Not many have no reserve team unfortunately. There's another league for Football League reserve teams from the "North" called the Pontin's Holiday League. That's where WBA and Birmingham are registered. Derby don't appear to be there, so maybe they're in the same situation. I notice York City Reserves are participating. If a recently near-bankrupt non-league side can afford a reserve team, we really should :mellow:

It's not an excuse for our performances in the Championship, but it's hard to see how players can be match fit if they are recovering from an injury or just haven't played much first team football for a while without a reserve team.

Well spotted :thumbup:

I'm sure I saw somewhere that Sheffield Utd had two reserve teams in two different reserve leagues last season.

The team very grossly unfit at the start of the season, Kelly should have been sacked for gross incompetence after Luton, and with no reserves it has been impossible to catch up.

There is only one man to blame and that is the manager, pure and simple, and yet there was a huge hula-bulo at pre-season about Kelly and Fat Mike putting together a scientific pre seeason regime.

The man is a joke.

Archived