Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Geo V

Best Loan Signing

Talking on another thread it got me thinking about loanee`s IN.

We seem to always send kids out but dont seem to get that many loan players in and we miss out. Burnley just signed Djemba-Djemba from Villa on loan and thats the type of player that could do a job for us but we never get linked to them. Birmingham are top of the Championship and have 3 Arsenal kids on loan. Stoke have hit form and they have god knows how many loanees in. Is it simply that we cant afford wages or do we prefer to give our kids a chance instead???!!

Anyway, as also confirmed elsewhere. the best loan signing "in" for me was Kevin Campbell in around 88 or 89. He was a kid at Arsenal who came in and was amazing for us. Im not sure of his stats but thats the best one I have ever seen.

Im 34 now and dont know too much about the 70s and early 80s so maybe some of our resident experts can tell us if we ever had a worldbeater on loan in the good old days??!

I think your've answered your own question, WAGES.

Did the 3 loanees in from Arsenal to Birmingham cost that much in wages??? Had we heard of any of them before the season started or has this season "made" them? Im also not sure how some of the other championship sides who are lower down than us can get loanees in. BTW many clubs who let players go out on loan contribute to the wages justso they can keep there player happy and get some first team footy under his belt.

Did the 3 loanees in from Arsenal to Birmingham cost that much in wages??? Had we heard of any of them before the season started or has this season "made" them? Im also not sure how some of the other championship sides who are lower down than us can get loanees in. BTW many clubs who let players go out on loan contribute to the wages justso they can keep there player happy and get some first team footy under his belt.

TBF I'd be suprised if most people hadn't herd of the likes off Auturo Lupoli Nicholas Bendtner and Seb Larsson before.

Cambell by a mile

Fantastic player who played as if this was his club, showed more emotion that nearly all players then and since Face was a picture

Pleat may have been a buffon but he had his contacts

Worst loan player???

an italian goal keeper? no wonder pleat was pants he was moonlighting in the Juve youth team.

TBF I'd be suprised if most people hadn't herd of the likes off Auturo Lupoli Nicholas Bendtner and Seb Larsson before.

I think Lupoli went to Derby and the 3rd player was Muamba. You are right that maybe they were heard of but Im sure not held as high regard. If we stick to Arsenal for examples of loans out that could have come to us in recent times and you see that some have made it and some havent. The thing is we never seem to take the chance. (BTW some loans prove more than just that as players like Larsson is coming to the end of his contract at Arsenal and now looks set to sign for Birmingham on a Bosman and Lupoli is coming to the end of his deal but doesnt fancy Derby, but who does?? :D )

Lupoli - Derby

Stokes - Falkirk

Larrson, Muamba, Bendtner - Birmingham

Alliadiare - Wolves and Celtic

Justin Hoyte - Sunderland

Mathew Connolly - Bournemouth

Kerrea Gilbert - Cardiff City

I cant think of anymore. Surely the clubs on the recieving end arent bigger than us?? (with exception to Celtic)

Its not just about this season BTW! We never seem to get many loanees in!!

Campbell for me too, although didn't that Arsenal keeper do well for us when he was here I didn't see him much so can't really speak for myself about him, but from what I read he was alright wasn't he :unsure:

What was his name ? Stuart Taylor or summut like that, anyway yeah i agree i thought he was a decent loan signing at the time.

Stuart Taylor from Arsenal, i thought he was a very good keeper when he came over on loan and i was very supraised he came on loan to us

His kicking was crap

GERRY DALY

Instrumental in getting us promoted in the early 80s, if I remember correctly we had the option to buy him and didn't to our regret?

Kevin Campbell and most recently Marcus Bent were the best. Gary Charles wasn't a nightmare either in the late 1980s.

As for worst loan signings, take your pick from Andy Welsh, Kjetil Oswald (please can someone say they remember him? Terry Fenwick and Lawrie Madden during the Pleat years were bad (shudder!) Also couldn't really stand Paul Kerr when Brian Little got him in from Middlesbrough or Millwall. :o

Archived