Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Academy v Birmingham

Just to say how much I am looking forward to Saturday's home academy League match against Birmingham as an antidote to the trip to Burnley.

I am looking forward to the prospect of some proper football being played. With strikers and wingers working together to try and score goals plus midfielders and full-backs driving up to and into the opposition penalty box.

We weren't clinging on to our status for the trip to Burnley. We voluntarily played like that. We played to a plan which if adopted by every away team would fast ruin football as a spectator sport.

I can categorically state that I have thoroughly enjoyed every one of the Academy games this season because of their wholehearted commitment to winning in a manner that stirs the soul and is not restrained by endless imagined fears.

They are six points clear at the top of the League with over 100 goals to their credit and with a brand of football to their credit as well.

I've seen their manager, Steve Beaglehole, when we've been winning and when we've been losing and he has this great sweeping action with his hand. As if gathering the tokens of a roulette table and sweeping them all up into the attacking half.

He seems to have complete belief in his team's ability to overwhelm anyone.

We didn't get six men into the Burnley penalty box all last night part from set plays but Beaglehole will have his army camped there, or just outside whatever. That's not a prediction. That's a fact.

He and his team are like a huge great breath of fresh air in our club right now.

And a throw-back really to the way the first teams of Leicester and Burnley used to play in the 60's. Did they produce some thrilling matches? And wonderful goals in abundance.

I wonder if today's Academy team will ever sit down at first team games and dream of playing like their seniors.

Cos right now I imagine it feels like a punishment detail in the army.

Just to say how much I am looking forward to Saturday's home academy League match against Birmingham as an antidote to the trip to Burnley.

I am looking forward to the prospect of some proper football being played. With strikers and wingers working together to try and score goals plus midfielders and full-backs driving up to and into the opposition penalty box.

We weren't clinging on to our status for the trip to Burnley. We voluntarily played like that. We played to a plan which if adopted by every away team would fast ruin football as a spectator sport.

I can categorically state that I have thoroughly enjoyed every one of the Academy games this season because of their wholehearted commitment to winning in a manner that stirs the soul and is not restrained by endless imagined fears.

They are six points clear at the top of the League with over 100 goals to their credit and with a brand of football to their credit as well.

I've seen their manager, Steve Beaglehole, when we've been winning and when we've been losing and he has this great sweeping action with his hand. As if gathering the tokens of a roulette table and sweeping them all up into the attacking half.

He seems to have complete belief in his team's ability to overwhelm anyone.

We didn't get six men into the Burnley penalty box all last night part from set plays but Beaglehole will have his army camped there, or just outside whatever. That's not a prediction. That's a fact.

He and his team are like a huge great breath of fresh air in our club right now.

And a throw-back really to the way the first teams of Leicester and Burnley used to play in the 60's. Did they produce some thrilling matches? And wonderful goals in abundance.

I wonder if today's Academy team will ever sit down at first team games and dream of playing like their seniors.

Cos right now I imagine it feels like a punishment detail in the army.

Jeez! There arent many clubs in England who can muster wonderful football every week mate. Not even Liverpool, who have a bit more history than us and have spent a couple more quid than us in recent times seem to play that wonderful free flowing football that you think is easy to translate from the training ground to first team (or in your case from Youths to first team).

To pick you up on a couple of the points Ive highlighted in your post. You talk about belief etc with the kids which is great but our first team is a mix of loanees, younger inexperiences players and others and if we tried to play free-flowing football we would probably get battered with this lot. Our first team isnt strong enough to fight fire with fire. If we attempt to play like that at home this Saturday against one of the best sides in the division, chances are the likes of Koumas and Kamara will rip us apart. However, if we play to this teams strengths we have a chance of getting something out of the game.

As for the youths being a breath of fresh air, that is fantastic for the club but lets put things into perspective here. The best clubs in our country are well known for coming in and snatching the kids from lower league clubs who they feel have huge potential before they have become regulars for the first team. Leeds have lost the likes of Aaron Lennon and Scott Carson, Peterboro lost Etherington and Simon Davies, Sunderland recently sold there GK Ben Alnwick etc etc. To my knowledge, we havent turned down huge bids for our academy players. From the ones that have come through we managed to get £40k for COG. If they were the real world beaters that you make them out to be they would have been subject to bids or at least interest from the big boys in England.

As for comparing todays football to the 60s and almost wanting that back you are in dream land! Todays players are machines who have the instruction to play fast and hard and skill is secondary. Not many teams in England can manage to combine the skill of yesteryear along with todays modern style of football with maybe the exception of Arsenal and Man Utd. Not even free spending Chelski play that wonderful brand of football that you may have witnessed in the 60s and 70s and the type of football that I used to love watching vids or re-runs on, on the box.

You need a reality check Thracian!!

Jeez! There arent many clubs in England who can muster wonderful football every week mate. Not even Liverpool, who have a bit more history than us and have spent a couple more quid than us in recent times seem to play that wonderful free flowing football that you think is easy to translate from the training ground to first team (or in your case from Youths to first team).

To pick you up on a couple of the points Ive highlighted in your post. You talk about belief etc with the kids which is great but our first team is a mix of loanees, younger inexperiences players and others and if we tried to play free-flowing football we would probably get battered with this lot. Our first team isnt strong enough to fight fire with fire. If we attempt to play like that at home this Saturday against one of the best sides in the division, chances are the likes of Koumas and Kamara will rip us apart. However, if we play to this teams strengths we have a chance of getting something out of the game.

As for the youths being a breath of fresh air, that is fantastic for the club but lets put things into perspective here. The best clubs in our country are well known for coming in and snatching the kids from lower league clubs who they feel have huge potential before they have become regulars for the first team. Leeds have lost the likes of Aaron Lennon and Scott Carson, Peterboro lost Etherington and Simon Davies, Sunderland recently sold there GK Ben Alnwick etc etc. To my knowledge, we havent turned down huge bids for our academy players. From the ones that have come through we managed to get £40k for COG. If they were the real world beaters that you make them out to be they would have been subject to bids or at least interest from the big boys in England.

As for comparing todays football to the 60s and almost wanting that back you are in dream land! Todays players are machines who have the instruction to play fast and hard and skill is secondary. Not many teams in England can manage to combine the skill of yesteryear along with todays modern style of football with maybe the exception of Arsenal and Man Utd. Not even free spending Chelski play that wonderful brand of football that you may have witnessed in the 60s and 70s and the type of football that I used to love watching vids or re-runs on, on the box.

He's needed one for a long time.

Great post, particularly the bits in bold. If everyone accepted the second bold part - we don't have to fight off interest in our academy players (or at least not Dodds King et al, but maybe Chambo & Stears BITD) as fact, which in my mind it is, then I think the evidence is there that the players in the grand scheme of things are not the world beaters some think they are.

On another note, Thracian, you mentioned in a lot of your posts how the academy play so well as a unit. Have you thought that maybe if you take some of these players out of this unit they would be a lot less effective?

Manchester United and Arsenal lead the way in how football should be played and why you should consider it so ridiciulous to aspire to that style of play I don't know, considering how successful it has been.

I don't know whether you'd describe their players as machines. They pass and move in exactly the same way as great teams in the past.

And plenty of teams have tried to do that without having Chelseas's millions - teams I recall like West Ham, Ipswich, Leeds, Spurs, Southampton in Le Tissier days.

Leicester tried some passing and moving against Coventry for half an hour. What was so wrong with it. The fans around me seemed happy. No-one expects them to do it as well as United or Arsenal but they do need to develop the ability to do it for long periods.

But then we go to Burnley and throw all ideas of developing from there right out of the window. We went right back to the shite we've served up too often these last three seasons and especially away from home. And it was totally unnecessary.

Manchester United and Arsenal lead the way in how football should be played and why you should consider it so ridiciulous to aspire to that style of play I don't know, considering how successful it has been.

I don't know whether you'd describe their players as machines. They pass and move in exactly the same way as great teams in the past.

And plenty of teams have tried to do that without having Chelseas's millions - teams I recall like West Ham, Ipswich, Leeds, Spurs, Southampton in Le Tissier days.

Leicester tried some passing and moving against Coventry for half an hour. What was so wrong with it. The fans around me seemed happy. No-one expects them to do it as well as United or Arsenal but they do need to develop the ability to do it for long periods.

But then we go to Burnley and throw all ideas of developing from there right out of the window. We went right back to the shite we've served up too often these last three seasons and especially away from home. And it was totally unnecessary.

And their entertaining all the time are they? Man u had me bored to tears last night.

You can't play attractive football all the time, this LCFC team especially can't play good passing and moving footall all the time. I dunno why I'm bothering it's like banging your head against a brick wall.

I would be worried if we play like we did last night in every game, but i'd hope we don't. If we do, then Mandaric will remove Kelly very quickly. As a one off and with it 3 points, then i'm not too fussed. We haven't beaten Burnley for several games, due to not being able to cope with how they play. Last night we won. end of story.

3 points and move on. By no means should Kelly be using last night's performance as a yardstick for future games, but at least it showed we can battle out a win when the game is scrappy. There will be more occasions like that throughout a season, sadly. It's these types of games that we must win to give us any sort of chance of promotion next season.

No offence to our current crop of world beaters but some of them like AJ and Levi struggle to hit a 10 yard pass. We havent much pace in full-back positions to link up with the midfield and the centre of our midfield lacks the creativity to give much to our forwards. Man Utd and Arsenal have the personel to be able to play that type of football freely. We havent unless we do what you would and play all the youths now who seem to be as good as Busby Babes.

Im sure our lads will try and play the right way and did play some nice stuff against an atrocious Covscum side and have played some nice stuff in the FA Cup against better opposition but the team that we are playing at the moment is almost a bunch of misfits. A team put together to somehow get us out of the mess that we managed to get ourselves in. Thankfully, it has worked well as we have gathered some points to take us out of immediate danger.

As for next season, I hope that we manage to get the attacking players in that will allow us to play great football. Im not saying that it can never happen but I am passing judgement on the average players that we currently have at our disposal. Unlike you mate, I am a realist and have reluctently accepted that we need to roll our sleeves up for results but will also heed a little warning with regards to next season.

QUALITY FOOTBALLERS COST BIG MONEY!! I dont think we have the cash to get the type of players in that will make us an instant attraction in footballing terms. Of course we may well play prettier stuff but look how much Sunderland, WBA, Birmingham and the other high-flyers in our division have had to spend to play good football. We havent the resources so until we manage to somehow get into the premiership where the real money appears, I`d hold fire on my expectations on the type of player or even football that we will be playing in the immediate future.

stuck-on-tape.gif

Can someone turn Thracian's tape over please...it appears to have got looped somehow and be repeating all the same stuff we've heard many times before.

I'm hoping that on the other side there's a rendition of him performing with Lonnie Donnigan.... :D

stuck-on-tape.gif

Can someone turn Thracian's tape over please...it appears to have got looped somehow and be repeating all the same stuff we've heard many times before.

I'm hoping that on the other side there's a rendition of him performing with Lonnie Donnigan.... :D

PMSL :D

Thats all very romantic and all but put the acadamy lads out against Burnley and they would get slaughtered, however poetic their football may be.

Exactly how you moved from what I said to that reply is quite beyond my comprehension. If you're happy to put up with he shit we shovelled at Burnley good luck to you.

Great post, particularly the bits in bold. If everyone accepted the second bold part - we don't have to fight off interest in our academy players (or at least not Dodds King et al, but maybe Chambo & Stears BITD) as fact, which in my mind it is, then I think the evidence is there that the players in the grand scheme of things are not the world beaters some think they are.

On another note, Thracian, you mentioned in a lot of your posts how the academy play so well as a unit. Have you thought that maybe if you take some of these players out of this unit they would be a lot less effective?

Without a doubt. Why do you think I want rid of the journeymen?

I've said all along good young players need to be playing with people who compliment their style of play and that attacking football needs to be a whole team thing. I've long wanted Dodds and King added to the likes of Porter, Stearman and Wesolowski (had he been fit).

Archived