Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tokyo Foxes

Why do Chelsea sing Over land and sea and Leicester!

Right, first thing is to read the Chelsea history bio. I have even thou I'm LCFC fan thru and thru.

OK here goes,

In the Late 60/ early 70's cant remember exactly, the headhunters were formed (as a small faction) they used to travel to all the away games, including reserve games...

OK one week they played the forest reserves (there was a little bit of trouble which was unheard of before) and the next week it was followed by Chelsea playing the FOXES, ok what happened was that the Chelsea Headhunters came to watch the game and there was a few hundred watching it the chelseas fans came into the home end and starting trouble in some form.

The City fans were having none of it and it started a fracas, this was unheard of at the time, the headhunters took a beating and left to regroup.

Hence the song over land and sea AND LEICESTER, if you look at some recent encounters, FA CUP there is still that rivallry there to be seen.

The headhunters and westhams Intercity firm I'm lead to believe used to hand out calling cards in the MID 70's early 80's

Read the Chelsea history is a good read :thumbup:

Thats a good awnser but then why do Charlton an Arsenl sing (And Leicester) - they probably copied chelseas version

the answer given earlier about using leicester in place of pakistan (or any asian country) seems to be more believable, as at the time it began there was a lot more racism on the terraces and this was a way of disguising it when it started to be censored. if it was anything to do with crowd trouble i think the chelsea fans would have used tottenham in the chant

Asked a chelsea fanout this a while back. He said that back in the 70s no one sand "and leicester" But travelling up to leicester away on a train on fan shouted out "and leicester" and it has just stuck.

Does anyone know why Chelsea sing " Over land and sea and Leicester!"

We all follow the Chelsea

Over land and sea - And Leicester!

onnnntooo vi-ic-toreee

(altogether now)

Over land and sea - And Leicester!

onnnntooo vi-ic-toreee

I asked a few Chelsea mates and they don't know...one mate said it is because Chelsea and LCFC team up in London

loads of clubs sing it with leicester in and loads of clubs sing that hark now its just a song

I'm going to use my powers of deducation here but don't have much to add in the way of knowledge.

The clubs who sing "and Leicester" all seem to be London based ones and SO my guess would be that it is the thing about the sign which says the 'North and Leicester' because they would all see that on the way to games... :dunno:

Either way most intelligent thing in this thread is "It's moot, anyway. Chelsea fans don't sing." by Finnegan. Atmosphere at the Bridge is dire.

I'm going to use my powers of deducation here but don't have much to add in the way of knowledge.

The clubs who sing "and Leicester" all seem to be London based ones and SO my guess would be that it is the thing about the sign which says the 'North and Leicester' because they would all see that on the way to games... :dunno:

Either way most intelligent thing in this thread is "It's moot, anyway. Chelsea fans don't sing." by Finnegan. Atmosphere at the Bridge is dire.

Newcastle singing it as well

Newcastle singing it as well

No they don't.

I went to Cardiff with a load of Arsenal fans when they played Chelsea in the cup final a few years back, I thought that’s great at least I can sing one song, but then they explained it’s a derogatory song about Leicester the place and football team. Basically it says they travel to all these great places up and down the country, all over Europe, as well as Leicester!

To sum up, supporters from London used rip the piss out of Leicester and Filbert Street, that’s how the song started.

No they don't.

I went to Cardiff with a load of Arsenal fans when they played Chelsea in the cup final a few years back, I thought that’s great at least I can sing one song, but then they explained it’s a derogatory song about Leicester the place and football team. Basically it says they travel to all these great places up and down the country, all over Europe, as well as Leicester!

To sum up, supporters from London used rip the piss out of Leicester and Filbert Street, that’s how the song started.

yes they do

No they don't.

sadly this sounds about right :(

Right, first thing is to read the Chelsea history bio. I have even thou I'm LCFC fan thru and thru.

OK here goes,

In the Late 60/ early 70's cant remember exactly, the headhunters were formed (as a small faction) they used to travel to all the away games, including reserve games...

OK one week they played the forest reserves (there was a little bit of trouble which was unheard of before) and the next week it was followed by Chelsea playing the FOXES, ok what happened was that the Chelsea Headhunters came to watch the game and there was a few hundred watching it the chelseas fans came into the home end and starting trouble in some form.

The City fans were having none of it and it started a fracas, this was unheard of at the time, the headhunters took a beating and left to regroup.

Hence the song over land and sea AND LEICESTER, if you look at some recent encounters, FA CUP there is still that rivallry there to be seen.

The headhunters and westhams Intercity firm I'm lead to believe used to hand out calling cards in the MID 70's early 80's

Read the Chelsea history is a good read :thumbup:

THIS IS THE ANSWER READ THE BOOK

I always thought it was to do with the rucks with the likes of Chelsea in the 60s and 70s also.

However, I think that the team on Soccer AM used to take the pi$$ out of it and refer to us as "and Leicester". Ive caught them saying it afew times out of place but dont know where the joke originated from. I know the host Tim Lovejoy is a Chelski fan so that might have had something to do with the fact that they talk about? Either way, its good to be mentioned anywhere lol!

So tossing what? That's a book written by one person. One person who probably got the story from someone else and someone else and someone else. And besides, all you're telling us is that Chelsea and Leicester had a rivalry in firms. That doesn't mean that a line in a song couldn't be for any of the numerous other reasons listed, too. It's probably a mish mash of all of them, to be honest.

This smacks of desperation, to be honest. Leicester don't have a big, "cool", notorious firm - so what do you do? Oh yeah, pretend Chelsea fans still care about one ruckus in the old Filbo kop twenty odd years ago? Like toss, go read that thread on the Chelsea forum - no one's even mentioned football violence. They just think it's because Leicester's a shithole.

Stop being an eejit.

0755314654.02._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Well Rick Glarvill is obviously a ****ing twat.

I refuse to believe a few hundred head hunters got beat up at a soding reserve game at Filbo, infact I don't even believe a few hundred head hunters would attend a reserve game at Filbo.

Just imagine the Chelsea head hunters jumping the kop at a reserve match lol who beat them up a bunch of 50 year old mums and their kids. Get real.

This is my take. Chelsea sources from the time will back me up on this.

Leicester and Chelsea fans had a series of running battles (mostly in Leicester, we rarely took any numbers to their place) throughout the 70s and 80s.

The most ferocious of these took place in April 1989. Chelsea were leading the old Div 2 by a street and came to Filbo knowing a win would see them promoted. We on the other hand were languishing in lower mid-table after a season of massive under-achievement (yes, kiddies, we had them in those days too!)

For the first and only time in Filbo's history an away side was given Pens 1, 2 and 3. But the Chelsea hordes, who must have numbered around 12000, weren't satisfied with that. They wanted the upper tier of the double-decker as well and must have thought, with their superior numbers, they would get it.

Some sections of the home support, however, thought otherwise. The result was some of the worst violence I ever witnessed at our old ground. From my vantage point in the main stand enclosure, I watched as battle raged for what must have been at least half an hour before finally being quelled by stewards and police.

We also won the battle on the pitch, beating Chelsea 2-0 and thus postponing their promotion party.

But the result and the violence, which in normal circumstances would have attracted banner headlines in every paper in the land, were both rendered insignificant by the news of the horrendous events at Hillsborough that same day.

Since then, things have moved on. Yet no matter how many trophies their club may buy win, those Chelsea fans present at Leicester in 1989 will forever carry mental and emotional scars of the day we FOXES shattered their dream of a mass celebration on our turf.

Hence the song.

Archived