Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lookwhaticando

West Brom Post Match Comments

I lost count of how many fans I heard after the match saying they'd settle for a draw. And if that's the limit of our aspirations today's was a good result.

For me we simply completed another game without showing a shred of improvement in our general play and without addressing a single one of our problems.

What Hughes was doing back on the right wing I've no idea - except that whenever he's available, like Johnson, Kelly wants to pick him.

He was in one of his nearly moods today whereby he made sure he never quite got the ball, never quite got into the thick of it, never quite had any effect.

Hume took his record to one goal in 17 starts and Horsfield looked what he is, cumbersome, slow off the mark and never likely now to trouble decent defenders.

Midfield was the same as ever. They did spread the ball wide rather better than usual but they faded fast second half and simply stopped being able to support attacks with any gusto. Johnson was the pick. He made mistakes but he did try to affect things. Jarrett and Hughes were thoroughly disappointing.

The latter had two brilliant chances second half but on niether occasion did Hughes look like he had any belief or determinatioon to score. In the end both efforts were tame.

Agree, Hughes put in a pathetic performance no width on right side and wouldnt get out of the middle of the park, when he was there he did naff all apart from trying to run and watching us play. All in all with them playing 12 (mr urinal) against our 10 (you cant count hughes) a good result.

Really enjoyed the game today, pretty solid performance, I thought Henderson had a blinder. Also credit to Alan Maybury for keeping his chin up and putting in a decent performance after the poor ten minutes he had after conceeding the stupidest penalty I've seen in a long time. West Brom looked like a good side, and we did well defending against 2 quality strikers (3 if you include the Duke).

Uriah Rennie was terrible though, not to mention completely unfit. Should be serving the rest of his career as a 4th Official. Aside from the numerous wrong decisions given both ways, did anyone else think Horsfield was pretty lucky to not get at least booked for the elbow on McShane? From where I was sat it looked pretty bad. Certainly seemed to anger the West Brom bench.

I enjoyed today, thought it was a very entertaining game it's just a shame we didn't put some of the chances away. Also for us to stay strong and keep battling right to the end even when they have the quality of Gera and Ellington coming of the bench shows how far we've come in a short space of time.

Just got back. Happy with a point, I suppose we could of robbed it at the end but they did have alot of chances. Henderson was very solid today and kept us in the game in the first half.

Gareth McAuley and Patrick Kisnorbo :worship:

Andy Johnson was very good for us aswell, battled very hard in the midfield.

Alan Maybury - Stupid tackle no need, Idiot.

Overall we put in a decent performance against a side that are now top of the table.

Derby and Leeds lost aswell. So it's all good. :P

Before the match I said i'd be happy with a draw, Whenever I say that we deserve to win.

TBH I think it was a West Brom peno (Not seen any replays yet) but some of the other things U-Buy-A Rennie awarded and stopped the game for were stupid!

A thing that stood out for me was Maybury going down when we nearly scored, I don't think he went down in the penalty area (Although others may think it was a peno) but it was definetly, no doubt about it a free kick, and free kick in a very decent area which we could we have scored easily from.

Then the stoppage time was a joke, I must have been 1 or 2 minutes before the board even went up, the Rennie added another 1 or 2 - maybe even 3 more minutes!

Fukin willy puller!

I thought we played pretty well today - to be able to match the team who are now top of the league shows how much we've improved in the last few weeks. It was one of those games that could have gone either way really.

I think special praise should be reserved for the defence, Paddy K and Gazza Mac were superb today and I was impressed with Maybury (even though he made probably the stupidest tackle I have ever seen in my life for the pen :rolleyes:). Henderson gets better every time I see him play. :)

Oh yeah, and Rennie was terrible - poor excuse for a referee. :angry:

Happy with the performances considering who we were playing.

Still don't like having Hughes on the wing. We bought Yeates and Glombard to provide some wing play, so why aren't they playing?

Hughes drifts into CM far too much and leaves us struggling when Maybury he's born with it, maybury it's mayburylline has the ball on the right.

Still don't like having Hughes on the wing. We bought Yeates and Glombard to provide some wing play, so why aren't they playing?

Exactly, I think Yeates has looked alright so far and Glombard needs to at least be given a go. If Hughes is going to play it should be in the centre with someone alongside him who's gonna do all the physical work and free up space for him.

Surprised to read Mr Thracian's negative comments on today's performance as he often writes so much sense. For me this was like watching a different team to the one I've seen 'perform' so poorly this season. Of course we still have many limitations, and I could see that for parts of the game West Brom looked better than us. Phillips, for example, was class in the first half. So much positional sense.

Johnson and Jarret aren't the midfield duo to launch us towards promotion next term, but they're doing a great job, and for the first time this season we have a central midfield.

We have a long way to go, but we are most definitely improving.

This one was quite the fun.

First of all, I was away from home during the match, busy working for some extra cash. Now, as I check the scores after 27 minutes, I see that Kamara scored on that penalty. And I think "Gee, see at least the one part of my score prediction's come true already" and I write the game off, seeing that West Brom's not doing too bad in the league this season.

Anyway, I had to leave again and was out gathering news for another newspaper article until after 8pm.

Seeing the final score was a pleasure and after reading the BBC summary, we even had a chance of winning it.

Well done by the squad, I hope the fans made a lot of noise (I couldn't listen to the Match Commentary, obviously). The Mandy Factor's playing in and out of a sudden, all the elements seem to fit in nicely (or better than before) and we actually play as a team, use some of our chances and act as a threatening unity. Again, it's a shame to see Hume didn't make the scoresheet and his declining form seriously starts to worry me.

This quote from Isle of Wight Fox made my day especially:

FFS just commentate on the game.

I don't give a toss about the Tigers or an alleged elbow that happened half an hour ago.

That's why we never know who's scored. There's so much s**t being spoken that all of a sudden they realise there's a game going on!

"Well Colin, there I was down the launderette when in pops Mrs Winklebottom from next door. I said hello. She said hello back. She has some lovely underwear - pastel shades of green, blue and pink, Nothing crude, just tasteful panties, a bit like mine...well apart from the open crotch stuff.......Whhhooooooaaaaaaa GGGOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLL!...anyway as I was saying she has some really nice stuff. We had a little chat. Apparently her husband's suffering from piles at the minute - didn't notice the state of his panties. She'd brought some sandwiches in with her which she shared with me....oh by the way it was Leicester that scored" angry.gif angry.gif

lol:thumbup:

We outplayed them in the last 10 mins imo, (i think we had most of the possestion but i'll need to check that) but that's been the story of our season so far!! I was glad to see that we were beginning to play some nice passing football at stages and am now thinking that the club is beginning to move in the right direction.

I wasn't happy when i heard that Hughes was playing at right mid, he cant cope there simple as, yes he maybe able to pass/cross a ball but he's to infective he drifts in the centre too much, the only way we are going to beat better teams is by using the width of the pitch!

Levi was good today. Don't get me wrong he had a good game but i think if he would of shot a few more times instead of going outside of his man we would of got the result we were looking for.

Our man of the match tho again was Andy Johnson, he was all over the pitch and played such a sweet ball across to levi in the 2nd half, he was putting tackles in here, there and everywhere and i think he is beginning to to play his best for the club with the aid of Jarret in midfield who i thought was superb today

In the first half i thought our defence was shaky and we were exposed a bit, but we managed to correct our selves towards the end of the 2nd half. Maybury had a poor first half and what was he doing for the penalty, just guide him towards the corner flag then crunch him.

Overall tho i thought it was a good day but i feel we could of got 3 points today. all we needed to do was play balls behind there defence because they were crap when facing there own goal, I'm surprised they've not been punished more.

Well that's the end to hopefully my best post on foxestalk ;):thumbup:

i don't know about you but i was bricking it in injury time.

I was worried aswell. There were times when the ball was bouncing around and it just seemed like nobody wanted to clear it. :P

Wouldn't say Jarrett was superb today, but I dont think hes desereved the mauling he's had in some quarters. Still think he's lacking the final killer pass though. Agree with you Joeb about Hughesy- he's no good out on the right and why Kelly persists in trying him out there in order to accomodate him in the team was beyond me.

We started well then faded, but second half I thought we edged it. Think we can probably class this as two points dropped though. Roll on Southend!

Can we aim for 10th or 11th place now?

What would you tell the team in such a situation?

"Play every game as if it was your last one" or "Get a few points here and there, and we're safe to plan next season already"?

good point. at what stage do you say we've got nothing left to play for and start to try out some youngsters or experiment with different formations. is it worth playing tiatto if he's not here next year?

i don't know about you but i was bricking it in injury time.

I honestly wasn't worried that West Brom would score at all in injury time, normally I'd have bitten my nails to shreds but today I knew we wouldn't concede because Paddy K and Gazza Mac were looking invincible. :scarf:

Anyway, here's the BBC's report:

Leicester 1-1 West Brom

West Brom climbed to the top of the Championship despite being held to a draw against resurgent Leicester who were unfortunate not to seal victory.

Diomansy Kamara opened the scoring from the spot on 26 minutes after he had been brought down by Alan Maybury.

But Leicester drew level before half-time as Gareth McAuley headed in Patrick Kisnorbo's free-kick.

The Foxes had the better of the second half and had a decent penalty shout when Paul Robinson impeded Maybury.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leicester manager Rob Kelly:

"I was a bit disappointed on our second-half display that we maybe didn't take all three points.

"They're a good team, but we're not going to roll over and let them just outplay us.

"Geoff Horsfield is as honest as the day is long. I know Paul McShane from his time at Manchester United and Brighton. They shook hands at the end."

West Brom manager Tony Mowbray:

"It felt as if there were hundreds of fouls. I think Uriah Rennie was just trying to let the game flow - but he was damaging his own performance.

"Geoff Horsfield's a good honest footballer but I saw what I saw.

"All I ask for is protection for my team. We're trying to entertain."

Link

They seem to think we were the better side aswell. :scarf:

Also, if you read the bits highlighted in bold, sounds to me like something's gone on between Horsfield and McShane. I didn't see anything between them, did anyone else? :unsure:

Also, if you read the bits highlighted in bold, sounds to me like something's gone on between Horsfield and McShane. I didn't see anything between them, did anyone else? :unsure:

I think they squared upto each other after a challenge from McShane. Not 100% sure though.

If I'd have been offered a draw before the game I would have take it and said thankyou very much. I think it was a great result for a team who are sitting pretty at the top of the league at the moment.

Even better was that we outplayed them for the majority of the game and thoroughly deserved the point. We could have won it but I'm not complaining.

Good performances in particular from Johnson and Henderson were very good and I was impressed with them both. The only moans I have were with Uriah Rennie, possibly one of the worst refs ever and Kelly's decision to play Hughes on the right wing.

Archived