Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fox123

Sky Broadband

I'm about to swich from Virgin to Sky Broadband as there doesn't seem much sense in paying £18 p/m when Sky do packages for £0/5/10 p/m.

Do Sky provide a Netgear router, as I already have a decent Netgear router - bundled hardware tends to be a bit naff. Orange livebox, for example....

I'd rather keep using what I've got and just pay for the 1010101s through my phoneline.

Sky provide a 'LOCKED' Netgear router, there are ways of 'hacking/flashing' their firmware but if you do and sky find out you arein breach of their terms and conditions and they can ban you from using their service and it could take upto 4 months for them to release you!

So am I best to sign up with BT as is need to get a phone line anyway or go with Sky and get a BT Line aswell?

sky provide a service where you pay £26 a month, with that you get broadband, sky talk (with free calls after 6 and at week-ends and sky digital) u have to have a bt line installed

Alternetively, you can have A BT line @ £11.99 a month rental and pay sky a maximum of £10 a month

or the third option is have bt which is £11.99 line rental and £17.99 a month for their broadband.

I would opt for the sky option i get download speeds of 4 times faster than bt and works out alot cheaper over the year!

I've come to the conclusion that the 'office based' staff of all these media operations and many other services are all fooking crap.

I'm in the process of:

Changing my Gas & Electric suppliers

And they've all, without exception been totally incompetent

make sure you check on the government (offgas i think) site. i went on 'Money supermarket' and it put me on British gas which turns out to have been the dearest at the time and i was already on the cheapest. apparently they get paid £60 when you swap.

make sure you check on the government (offgas i think) site. i went on 'Money supermarket' and it put me on British gas which turns out to have been the dearest at the time and i was already on the cheapest. apparently they get paid £60 when you swap.

I've used Uswitch, hopefully more efficient :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...

I put this morning aside to swtich from Virgin Media/NTL to SKY, it took all of 1/2hour to unpack set it up and get it working on 3 PCs

:):):)

I put this morning aside to swtich from Virgin Media/NTL to SKY, it took all of 1/2hour to unpack set it up and get it working on 3 PCs

:):):)

If you get any interuptions in service, or your connection is dropping every 15/20 giz a shout and will tell you how to fix the problem...well it worked for me anyway.....I have mine running on 3 pc's now and for all my ranting and raving to sky at the start during the first week, I must admit I am really happy I moved over now as the connection speeds are so much better and above all its cheaper!

If you get any interuptions in service, or your connection is dropping every 15/20 giz a shout and will tell you how to fix the problem...well it worked for me anyway.....I have mine running on 3 pc's now and for all my ranting and raving to sky at the start during the first week, I must admit I am really happy I moved over now as the connection speeds are so much better and above all its cheaper!

:yesyes::frusty: Help

Everything was going well, but your right every so often it just dies.

• 2 weeks later...

Right just phoned Sky Broadband and they said i'd be a restricted speed of 2mb (Whatever that means :unsure: ) and I said well even if I go for the Max package its still cheaper than the overpriced shite that i have at the moment on AOL, I currently pay 25 pound at the moment and have the AOL Broadband Gold.

Always connected, fast

AOL Broadband Gold has all the performance advantages you'd expect of a 2Mbps product: using the phone and the internet at the same time; always connected; running up to 40 times faster than standard dial-up. With it you can send large attachments by email, load web pages much faster, download music and video clips all with good picture quality.

So can anyone who knows 'stuff' about PC's and internet, e.t.c, tell me which is better e.t.c?

I'm sick on AOL's shitty service, every few weeks, sometimes day it just chucks you offline every few minutes, there technician's know nothing, but as discussed earlier in this thread you seem to get that problem with any sort of media company. The main factor that sticks out for me is i'm paying 25 quid at the moment, when I could be paying 10 quid, the thing that i'm unsure about though is the fact I have been told the speed with be restricted, but at the same time AOL is slow anyway!

So any help will be much appriciated!

• 11 months later...

[shameless Virgin Media plug] Virgin Media broadband can actually offer much faster speeds because it's the only broadband that uses fibre optic cable to deliver the goods rather than the normal copper phone cable[/shameless Virgin Media plug]

[shameless Virgin Media plug] Virgin Media broadband can actually offer much faster speeds because it's the only broadband that uses fibre optic cable to deliver the goods rather than the normal copper phone cable[/shameless Virgin Media plug]

:angry: I have 20mg broadband (apparently) and get 13mb max :angry: :angry: :angry: What can you do to sort this

:P

Archived