Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
escape2victory

Hume playing deeper ?

Are we getting the most out of Ian Hume where he is playing at the moment ? There is no doubt he is our most skillful and creative player in the squad so its imperitive we play him in a position that gets the best out of him. Id personally like to see Hume play either wide left or right in a similar role that Birmingham play McSheffrey and Norwich play Huckerby. Playing him out wide would give him more space to either take players on or to cut inside and link up with the front two. He has a good engine and a good work ethic so tracking back and helping the midfield shouldnt be a concern. He is also decent in the air and would provide a threat for balls at the back post. He would probably say he is a striker and most comfortable in the position he is playing at the moment, but I dont feel the small front two of Fryatt and Hume gives the team balance and I just carnt help but think putting him out wide where he has more space would give him the chance to showcase his skill and creativity, and give us more balance upfront with a big man small man combination.

Are we getting the most out of Ian Hume where he is playing at the moment ? There is no doubt he is our most skillful and creative player in the squad so its imperitive we play him in a position that gets the best out of him. Id personally like to see Hume play either wide left or right in a similar role that Birmingham play McSheffrey and Norwich play Huckerby. Playing him out wide would give him more space to either take players on or to cut inside and link up with the front two. He has a good engine and a good work ethic so tracking back and helping the midfield shouldnt be a concern. He is also decent in the air and would provide a threat for balls at the back post. He would probably say he is a striker and most comfortable in the position he is playing at the moment, but I dont feel the small front two of Fryatt and Hume gives the team balance and I just carnt help but think putting him out wide where he has more space would give him the chance to showcase his skill and creativity, and give us more balance upfront with a big man small man combination.

I'd dispute both those points!!

But I agree he should play behind a front two!

Im not a fan of 433. Even the big clubs in England like Man Utd have one out and out striker and 5 mids that go all over the shop like Rooney and Giggs. If we want to play Hume deeper we need intelligent people who can get wide and bomb on but I dont think wecan play two strikers and Hume.

Im not a fan of 433. Even the big clubs in England like Man Utd have one out and out striker and 5 mids that go all over the shop like Rooney and Giggs. If we want to play Hume deeper we need intelligent people who can get wide and bomb on but I dont think wecan play two strikers and Hume.

Why not? We don't have Giggs or Ronaldo or players with anything like their energy and unsurpassed skill. There are things to learn from such teams but it is no use pretending we can copy their midfield. Who can?

We find it hard to score with two strikers let alone one. And score we must.

When defending they play 4-5-1. When they attack you'll see it's a 4-3-3.

I wasnt on about playing a 4-3-3 or a 4-5-1. I meant playing a 4-4-2 with Fryatt and Horsfield up front and Hume playing wide left, cutting inside and linking up with the front two. I understand peoples concerns that this may be too cavilear, but he has a good work ethic so should track back and help the midfield. Hume is frustrating me at the moment. Nothing he seems to being doing is coming off and keeps on picking the wrong option when in the final third. Maybe a change in position is what it needs to kick start him. Coming in off the left means he will invariably have more space and time to pick a pass or take a shot on goal, and should hopefully be more influencial in games.

Play Fryatt and Horsfield up front, Hume on the right and Newton on the bench.

Problems solved :)

Don't play him wide. He'd be much better behind two front men in the centre.

Why not? We don't have Giggs or Ronaldo or players with anything like their energy and unsurpassed skill. There are things to learn from such teams but it is no use pretending we can copy their midfield. Who can?

We find it hard to score with two strikers let alone one. And score we must.

You`ve answered the question yourself. We dont have players like Giggs or Ronaldo! We havent intelligent players who can play anywhere across midfield and cover positions left when someone bombs forward like a team like United do. Playing just 3 midfielders in a 433 will be suicide because we`ll get over-run in the middle of midfield. we currently play 4 midfielders and still our strikers are starved of the service so asking our top scorer to drop deeper to pick up the ball and try to pass it wouldnt work IMO, because he hasnt got the personnel around him to allow the system to work.

Archived