Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

Snape hat-trick in Foxes triumph

Twenty20 Cup, Leicester: Leicestershire 154-5 (16 ovs) bt Yorkshire 141-9 (16 ovs) by 13 runs

Leicestershire began the defence of their Twenty20 title with a 13-run victory over Yorkshire.

In a match reduced to 16 overs per side by rain, the Foxes opted to bat and JIm Allenby pulled over a hospitality tent for six in his 43 in a total of 154-5.

Craig White pulled Stuart Broad for six in the opening over of the Yorkshire reply before holing out to long-on.

David Masters pegged back the Tykes and Wily skipper Jeremy Snape then claimed the eighth hat-trick of the tournament.

Yorkshire were glad the match was delayed, as half their team did not arrive at Grace Road until after 1700 because of congestion on the M1.

White's quickfire 31 left Yorkshire needing 98 from 66 balls, but Masters found clever movement and variations of pace, and trapped Anthony McGrath first ball.

When top-scorer Gerard Brophy became the fourth wicket to fall, bowled by a quicker one from Claude Henderson for 44, 63 were needed from 30.

Snape clung on to a low return catch for his hat-trick, but Chris Gilbert smashed two fours and two sixes in five balls to leave 34 from the final 12 balls.

Darren Gough launched Broad for six with the first of them and the next appeared to be slicing over third man but John Maunders took a neat catch at head height.

Broad then took his second wicket when he uprooted Gilbert's off-stump.

Ah that was immense :D

Masters and Henderson bowled superbly and personally Henderson was my motm.

All batsmen did well. So very pleasing, especially as I thought following the start to the Yorks innings that we would have the game taken away from us.

Bloody love it!

just wish we could get the backing to push a little bit more in the championship (just a little, not winners etc) because I find it upsetting to be second bottom :(

Brilliant today though. Allenby has Maddy's number and is the player most likely to emulate him also - good player.

A very professional performance. Apart from one HD misfield, they played perfect out-cricket.

LCCC in 20/20 are an example of why I love cricket so much as a sport. You don't have to be the fastest, the strongest, the biggest hitters etc etc.

If you play to a plan, play as a team and do the basics really well, the sum of those things becomes greater than the individual parts.

Then you can go have beers after you win.

A very professional performance. Apart from one HD misfield, they played perfect out-cricket.

LCCC in 20/20 are an example of why I love cricket so much as a sport. You don't have to be the fastest, the strongest, the biggest hitters etc etc.

If you play to a plan, play as a team and do the basics really well, the sum of those things becomes greater than the individual parts.

Then you can go have beers after you win.

Yeah, YEAH!

Hows the young lad Sukhvir Singh doing?

He won the Indian Cricket idol...as im sure you all know....does he play yet??? :dunno:

I seen him play in the second eleven match against Derbyshire Amateurs, not so long ago. He was batting i think. This was the game where we posted 400+ inside 2 days or something. He looked alright. Little bit nervous, but he will come of age once he gets more games under his belt.

David Masters - Unsung hero.

Doesn't get as much praise as much as he should do. Fantastic cricketer. His superb bolwing display changed the course of the match, just as much as Jeremy Snape's hat-trick. For Twenty20 standards, that is exceptional bowling figures. Always leading by example, and great bowler to watch!

As for Stuart Broad. He will be sorely missed.

I very much doubt that Nick Walker can step into Broady's shoes. OK, maybe his bowling performance wasn't the best, but he did come back with 2 wickets. One of Darren Gough! :worship: (Mardy Bugger!)

I'd hate to say this, but it may be the case of Nottingham taking Walker to the doghouse. Lets just hope he proves me wrong.

(Derby Reject - Once a ram, always a fcuking ram! :angry: )

Was anyone else on the top deck of the Arriva service bus that went past Grace Road at about 9pm last night? It was amazing on there. It was as jammed as it possibly could be and songs were being sung including the 'Championes' one. A couple of Yorkshire supporters were on there too but it was all friendly stuff and you could see people walking on the streets look up at the top deck as the bus was driving by because they could hear that was where the singing was coming from.

Another great feature of the bus journey home was a group of about 10-12 Asian lads who stood up on the stairs due to there being no room left to sit. It seems that they had made friends with some of the other Leicestershire supporters in the ground and the friendship continued to blossom throughout the journey home and ended when the group of white males got off the bus. Everyone was shaking hands and saying "see you at the next match" etc. It may not seem a very important thing but I'm proud when I see things like this because I know in some parts of England this kind of scene would be a strange one still.

Unfortunately there was one City supporter inside the ground who couldn't handle his drink and decided to have a pop at some Yorkshire supporters on the row in front. Luckily there were some more senior City supporters nearby who told him to leave it out and apologised to the Yorkshire fans.

Those were the good andbad things about last night for me.

Was anyone else on the top deck of the Arriva service bus that went past Grace Road at about 9pm last night? It was amazing on there. It was as jammed as it possibly could be and songs were being sung including the 'Championes' one. A couple of Yorkshire supporters were on there too but it was all friendly stuff and you could see people walking on the streets look up at the top deck as the bus was driving by because they could hear that was where the singing was coming from.

Another great feature of the bus journey home was a group of about 10-12 Asian lads who stood up on the stairs due to there being no room left to sit. It seems that they had made friends with some of the other Leicestershire supporters in the ground and the friendship continued to blossom throughout the journey home and ended when the group of white males got off the bus. Everyone was shaking hands and saying "see you at the next match" etc. It may not seem a very important thing but I'm proud when I see things like this because I know in some parts of England this kind of scene would be a strange one still.

Unfortunately there was one City supporter inside the ground who couldn't handle his drink and decided to have a pop at some Yorkshire supporters on the row in front. Luckily there were some more senior City supporters nearby who told him to leave it out and apologised to the Yorkshire fans.

Those were the good andbad things about last night for me.

yeah he was absoultely fooked that lad. but all of the blokes were to be fair. he just went over the top

At the presentation, as many people may well know, there was loads of us near the dugout area, and coz i hate Dominic Cork so much, (hate him more than i do Nick Walker), i had to start the song

Corky is a willy puller

Corky is a willy puller

la la la la hey

la la la la hey!

Derby, Lancashire Reject :angry:

yeah he was absoultely fooked that lad. but all of the blokes were to be fair. he just went over the top

I know those blokes had had a fair few drinks too but I was sat in between the two groups, the younger lads and the older blokes, and the banter between the Yorkshire fans and City supporters was good natured. The blokes were giving them some stick and the Yorkie's were giving as good as they got. Problem was, the lad who went over the top couldn't come back with a witty reply so thought he'd try and start a fight with two men in their 30/40s, an elderly chap and a woman. Gives Leicestershire a bad name. Luckily one of the older City fans apologised and shook hands with the Yorkshire fans at the end of the match so hopefully they went home with a better opinion of Leicestershire people.

I seen him play in the second eleven match against Derbyshire Amateurs, not so long ago. He was batting i think. This was the game where we posted 400+ inside 2 days or something. He looked alright. Little bit nervous, but he will come of age once he gets more games under his belt.

He's not eligible to play in the first team this season.

But the fact that he is here will ensure a lot more interest in us, and perhaps lead to more investment and a stronger team.

He's not eligible to play in the first team this season.

But the fact that he is here will ensure a lot more interest in us, and perhaps lead to more investment and a stronger team.

He's er, here for a season only though isn't he. If he does enough to earn a contract, he will stay, but if he doesn't impress, he's going back home... :dunno: