Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

Team for Wolves

Still no team from the Tough and Experienced lobby.

Perhaps I could offer a pool of possibles:

Douglas/Henderson, Maybury, McCarthy, McAuley, Kenton, Kisnorbo, Nils, Newton, Hughes, Tiatto, Jarrett, Horsfield, Hume, Fryatt.

Eh, but you've included the ones in bold :blink:

Whatever team is chosen I hope they are really 'up for it'. Wolves certainly will be, they still could miss out on a play-off spot if they lose.

I don't want to see any experiments or a 'friendly' type mentality from us. If we had been safe with 3 or 4 games left then yes, give a few youngsters a start. Personally, I would like a team thats as strong as can be with not too many surprises.

We've had enough tripe these last few seasons so lets try and go out with a bang and send us into the summer happy and optimistic.

FFF

Eh, but you've included the ones in bold :blink:

If you've got any better alternatives to suggest, fire away, but I've included three of them - not 11!.

We had up to nine of em in our side at any one time earlier in the season if you count the departed Williams/Johnson as being in the same group!

Don't you think we should give Tiatto a run out (assuming he's served his suspension, which I think he has) considering he is leaving in the summer. Would be nice to give him a game to say goodbye

Whilst I agree it would be nice to give the youngsters some experience, Wortho is still playing for his contract next season. He will want to go to Milan and be able to show he won the last three games and is therefore worth the job.

Worthington may not get the job if he loses three out of five, so why would he want to give the kids some experience as he will not be here and therefore he wont benefit from this. If he plays them and we lose he will be show to be a bad decision maker.

No doubt Wolves will be going for it and they are not a bad side so we will need to be up to full strength to beat them. He will stick with the majority of the side that has won for the last two games.

Some of the side may still have to prove to Wortho that they are up to the task and worthy of staying here next season and what better way to see if the players are prepared to give you everything when there is nothing at stake.

So on the face of it it would be a great idea but there is way to much going on behind the scenes that would make this unlikely.

If you've got any better alternatives to suggest, fire away, but I've included three of them - not 11!.

We had up to nine of em in our side at any one time earlier in the season if you count the departed Williams/Johnson as being in the same group!

One thing I don't agree is to remove Hughes from the midfield, especially when it looks like he is growing back into the role. King should get chances next year but Hughes should be given the chance to continue making amends.

Gradel should get a chance. For 1. comparison against Newton 2. match practice for Arsenal 3. make us happy.

One thing I don't agree is to remove Hughes from the midfield, especially when it looks like he is growing back into the role. King should get chances next year but Hughes should be given the chance to continue making amends.

Gradel should get a chance. For 1. comparison against Newton 2. match practice for Arsenal 3. make us happy.

The only reason Hughes is displaced in midfield is because we need an attacker and seem permanently afraid to pick one, presumably because we're obsessed with 4-4-2. Weso and Hughes would compete for the fulcrum role.

There's no way Hughes will be a genuine attacker. He's trying a bit harder to drive forward but there are no instincts for the position.

This was illustrated when Mattock smashed that low cross over which ran right across the Barnsley goal. Hughes was in the box but never made any move to attack the ball. But at least he's looking like a competent general midfielder again - and much better than Jarratt.

Still no team from the Tough and Experienced lobby.

Perhaps I could offer a pool of possibles:

Douglas/Henderson, Maybury, McCarthy, McAuley, Kenton, Kisnorbo, Nils, Newton, Hughes, Tiatto, Jarrett, Horsfield, Hume, Fryatt.

I agree he's past it...21 already, move aside Matty Fryatt let the young guns have a go!

4-4-2: Logan, Nils, Kisnorbo, McAuley, Stearman, Mattock, Weso, Hume, Newton, Fryatt, Cadders

I agree he's past it...21 already, move aside Matty Fryatt let the young guns have a go!

4-4-2: Logan, Nils, Kisnorbo, McAuley, Stearman, Mattock, Weso, Hume, Newton, Fryatt, Cadders

Fryatt was included among the Tough and Experienced choices because the Tough and Experienced lobby tended to pick him.

He seems to be the favoured choice whatever his contribution.

And on the question of being 21 and past it, Dodds seems to have already been discarded and he's a bit younger, carries the burden of being the club's "most natural finisher" and hasn't been given any chance let alone a whole season of failure.

Even if we don't sign anyone else which is inconceivable there is no way Fryatt will be more valuable than Eric Odhiambo and Billy McKay. Not because they've scored close to a goal a game inn the Academy but because they complement the sort of players we're getting in the side now, the Wesos, Porters, Mattocks.

Their passing and movement means they are dangerous and create room for others, whether they're scoring or not. They are busy players who always ask questions whereas Fryatt is simply predatory and much more an individual.

And on the question of being 21 and past it, Dodds seems to have already been discarded and he's a bit younger, carries the burden of being the club's "most natural finisher" and hasn't been given any chance let alone a whole season of failure.

I don't think Dodds has been discarded. Even is he has the fact that some people are discarding him doesn't really explain your willingness to discard Fryatt as the person on here who seems to champion youngsters. Fryatt hasn't had a 'whole season of failure' that is just you wanting him to write him off. He's been injured for much of it and struggled to get fit again with the regime and lack of reserve team action. I can't find the ones for Dodds but maybe you have them but are Fryatt's stats from the last two season. In terms of proving himself as a finisher that's not too bad for someone his age in competitve football (not just the academy) is it?

2004/2005 - Played 24, Subs 15, Goals 15 (a goal every 2.6 games)

2005/2006 - Played 45, Subs 1, Goals 20 (a goal every 2.3 games)

"there is no way Fryatt will be more valuable than Eric Odhiambo and Billy McKay"

Well i'll admit that you watch a lot more under 18's football then me and clearly spend time analysing the academy BUT having only Odhiambo once in the first team (thrown on against Villa) he looked out of his depth. If we already have Hume and Cadders to create or Hammond to scare people surely one actual finisher would be good. The academy is not the same level as the Championship.

"And, whether you believe me or not, I still don't "dislike" Fryatt - I have simply waited all season for some evidence of why he is so highly rated and have seen none.

Stearman and Logan have no guarantees of a place - they need to produce top form in pre-season and from day one of the season proper but I know Stearman can play reasonably well and Logan has been steady as a rock really.

But Fryatt? What has he done? He's not a long-range marksman, not especially fast, not devilishly strong, rarely scores or threatens with his head, his involvement of other players is poor, his movement indifferent and not particularly sustained.

If you can list me some qualities about Fryatt which convincingly point the other way I'll be delighted. Cos, to me he's not been especially brilliant under any of our managers and certainly not under Kelly and Worthington."

So we can agree that Fryatt hasn't had a great season this year, he's underperformed. He's also young. You can accept that Stearman has the ability to play well even though he's rarely shown it this year so why not that Fryatt can score goals even though he's not done it this year? Especially bearing in mind the lack of creativity which you always bang on about from the midfield. you'd hardly expect a high goal scoring tally would you. Stick some of the academy players in this league with our current team and I suspect that their stats might not look so impressive. I don't remember saying that Fryatt has any guarantees of a place next year but I definatly think he's worth keeping around while he improves, you were happy to discard him completely.

What's Fryatt done...he's scored goals, he complimented Hume well (remember the remarks about enjoying playing together and Hume wanting him to get back to fitness), he's not as quick as Elvis but he is quick, times his runs well normally (although again this season he's been off). You could equally argue that many natural goal scorers aren't most of those things. Elvis is very quick but that's about it and you still want him in ahead of Fryatt, he's also 26 and not exactly improving.

Thrac your such a WUM. :P

Seriously though Fryatt hasn't been all that this season, he came here and did an excellent job and expectations were high.

Pre Season comes and Rob Kelly didnt really whip the squad into shape and as a young player its sometimes hard to motivate yourself (see Stearman).

Fryatt thus suffered from this and the weight of expectation from Rob Kelly and the Fans was a bit to much for him.

I think this season has been a learning curve for him just like it has been for Stearman and i'm hoping to see 2 totally differant players next season.

If not then i will expect to see them bombed out the following summer.

The only reason Hughes is displaced in midfield is because we need an attacker and seem permanently afraid to pick one, presumably because we're obsessed with 4-4-2. Weso and Hughes would compete for the fulcrum role.

There's no way Hughes will be a genuine attacker. He's trying a bit harder to drive forward but there are no instincts for the position.

Time will tell on that but were there another two three games left I could see Hughes see hit some great form. He's already been in the last team of the week, which emphasises the fact we would do well to keep him and actually develop him.

Thrac your such a WUM. :P

Seriously though Fryatt hasn't been all that this season, he came here and did an excellent job and expectations were high.

Pre Season comes and Rob Kelly didnt really whip the squad into shape and as a young player its sometimes hard to motivate yourself (see Stearman).

Fryatt thus suffered from this and the weight of expectation from Rob Kelly and the Fans was a bit to much for him.

I think this season has been a learning curve for him just like it has been for Stearman and i'm hoping to see 2 totally differant players next season.

If not then i will expect to see them bombed out the following summer.

If we're serious about getting promotion we can't wait another season for Fryatt to impress. And if it was any other player he have been laughed out of the side long ago. But I imagine the club will show faith in him, just like so many fans, so let's hope you're all right. :thumbup:

Why would anyone want to ditch Mattock for the midget? Seriously :dunno:

Also noticed that the great Iain Hume is getting left out of a fair few teams here, how fickle some of you are :whistle:

One thing is for sure, all those wanting to see the Academy turn up and play can f'ck right off, because I do not want nearly 4,000 fat West Midlanders dancing all over our stadium celebrating getting to the play-offs. Now that Derby have screwed it and Leeds are almost bust, nothing would give me greater pleasure than keeping Wolves out the play offs. Bunch of nomarks who think they are a big club when we all know you are only a big club if you have never been out the top 2 divisions :thumbup:

No need to tinker with a thing, we have a formula that has seen success in 2.5 games.

All these Academy boys can get a run around in the summer and if they are good enough to compete with soon to arrive League of Nations then they'll get their chance then.

If we're serious about getting promotion we can't wait another season for Fryatt to impress. And if it was any other player he have been laughed out of the side long ago. But I imagine the club will show faith in him, just like so many fans, so let's hope you're all right. :thumbup:

But we can put in the entire academy team because they will adjust immediatly and set this league on fire, probobly topping it by twenty or thirty points!

"And, whether you believe me or not, I still don't "dislike" Fryatt - I have simply waited all season for some evidence of why he is so highly rated and have seen none.

Stearman and Logan have no guarantees of a place - they need to produce top form in pre-season and from day one of the season proper but I know Stearman can play reasonably well and Logan has been steady as a rock really.

But Fryatt? What has he done? He's not a long-range marksman, not especially fast, not devilishly strong, rarely scores or threatens with his head, his involvement of other players is poor, his movement indifferent and not particularly sustained.

If you can list me some qualities about Fryatt which convincingly point the other way I'll be delighted. Cos, to me he's not been especially brilliant under any of our managers and certainly not under Kelly and Worthington."

So we can agree that Fryatt hasn't had a great season this year, he's underperformed. He's also young. You can accept that Stearman has the ability to play well even though he's rarely shown it this year so why not that Fryatt can score goals even though he's not done it this year? Especially bearing in mind the lack of creativity which you always bang on about from the midfield. you'd hardly expect a high goal scoring tally would you. Stick some of the academy players in this league with our current team and I suspect that their stats might not look so impressive. I don't remember saying that Fryatt has any guarantees of a place next year but I definatly think he's worth keeping around while he improves, you were happy to discard him completely.

What's Fryatt done...he's scored goals, he complimented Hume well (remember the remarks about enjoying playing together and Hume wanting him to get back to fitness), he's not as quick as Elvis but he is quick, times his runs well normally (although again this season he's been off). You could equally argue that many natural goal scorers aren't most of those things. Elvis is very quick but that's about it and you still want him in ahead of Fryatt, he's also 26 and not exactly improving.

I wouldn't see Elvis getting in the team next season even if he was here - but he can have an impact off the bench if he's not eclipsed by others.

I agree 100% about the midfield support but you wonder if we'll ever have the will to sort that because we're so bogged down with one way of playing instead of finding ways to sort our inadequacies.

If we don't sort it, Fryatt's problems will remain. If we do, everyone will score more goals.

Ironically, if what you've hinted at were the case this season - and Fryatt had been brought in off the bench - I wouldn't have minded so much. But he's not. Even when unfit the fans and manager still picked him without any justification whatsoever.

Like with Weso when unfit it did him no good and if it happens when we're supposed to be pushing for the top it'll cost us dearly.

You cannot win titles with strikers that don't register 15 goals plus per season.

For me Fryatt would need to show that sooner rather than later come the build up and start of next season.

You're wrong to think I'd be happy if he left. But, on balance and accepting he could prove me wrong, I would make the decision and concentrate on getting someone who is perhaps big, strong, fast and can head the ball.

We can't do as we have his season and rely on our centre-backs as being the only people who can convert crosses.

Elvis Hammond was laughed out the side because he is frankly a laughable professional footballer. The more educated football follower, and I do class you in that catagory :D , can see Fryatt has real talent and will be a huge assett to the team next season.

Archived