Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
THEfox

Nigel Worthington

Stay or Go?  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Worthington should stay on as manager?

• Yes
    • No

To me the question goes way deeper than that.

We have to get someone to believe in, someone with a clear vision for change at Leicester.

I am sick of our continually avoiding the idea of developing our team in a positive manner.

The evidence with Adams, Levein, Kelly and even Worthington was plain enough.

None of them seemed willing to address our glaring problems - our lack of creativity in midfield, our lack of a second striker, our faltering 4-4-2, our lack of an attacking left-back, our general lack of movement, inability to deliver varied and accurate free-kicks and so much more.

Some attempts at solutions might have failed but at least they could have been tried.

But with all our managers mentioned it was always tomorrow, next week, we'll sort it on the training ground.

Why support such people?. These problems aren't new. They are two seasons old in the main.

Burley or Davies would sort them pronto, I'm quite sure, and a few more managers too.

So, apart from on matchday, why pay lip service to people who won't just so they can eke out some time?.

For sure, I wasn't even going to start getting into the deep tactical problems etc. But merely stating that hopefully we will get a decent appointment who we can support in trying to clear out and progress the club forward. Rather than judge him on a few games. It's a big mess to sort out.

Can I pick up on one point you made, we have no attacking left back.........for most of the season we haven't had an attacking right back either......ie Maybury. For me this has been part of the problem. Leaving the wingers (or players trying to be a winger) to do it on their own. I'm sure when I watch attacking football, Gary Neville goes past Ronaldo to support him, and likewise Cole with Robben. It's been painful wide midfielders this season and they have been made to look worse due to lack of movement and support around them.

We lost three consecutive home games under Worthington. Our home form has been the biggest problem for us all season and he did nothing to rectify that. Correct me if I am wrong (which I probably am), but I don't think Rob Kelly ever lost three consecutive home games. I held out on Worthington until the game at Wolves and I believe that result proved that he is not the candidate for the job.

For sure, I wasn't even going to start getting into the deep tactical problems etc. But merely stating that hopefully we will get a decent appointment who we can support in trying to clear out and progress the club forward. Rather than judge him on a few games. It's a big mess to sort out.

Can I pick up on one point you made, we have no attacking left back.........for most of the season we haven't had an attacking right back either......ie Maybury. For me this has been part of the problem. Leaving the wingers (or players trying to be a winger) to do it on their own. I'm sure when I watch attacking football, Gary Neville goes past Ronaldo to support him, and likewise Cole with Robben. It's been painful wide midfielders this season and they have been made to look worse due to lack of movement and support around them.

I quite agree and have pleaded with the club to use fast attacking full-backs regularly for close on two seasons. Stearman can do the attacking as was clearly shown at Barnsley but he needs to be much faster on the turn defensively and much less easy for a winger to beat.

Mattock, Sheehan, even Tiatto are perfectly good attacking left-backs, certainly the best we've got but how often were they used?. It's as I've mentioned before we can never seem to fully commit to the selection of a complimentary attacking team - we always have to spoil the flow by hedging our bets and using players who don't fit into the idea.

I have been following this site and it amazes me that so many of you wanted Wortho as our next manager and have now changed your minds......... Made your minds up after 1 ..... or 2 games, sometimes 3 games. Some threads have included "he did his job", so he is worth a shot. He could have lost ALL 5 games and we would have stayed up.

To be fair I wouldn't judge him on 5 games, picking a team from someone else's players etc. This would seem to be the problem, our manager turnaround, based on the FACT that City fans judge a manager after a few games !!!

The new manager whoever it is should be given a real shot at it. There is no doubt that 25,000 City fans will NEVER have the same opinion. After all we are human.....(just) The options range from the bookies shortlist based on managers out of work, to the more adventurous.

However, whoever it is, whether you zagree or disagree, give hima chance a real chance and support him. Don't slate him after 5 games, we did it to MON and nearly lost him.

My opinion is I hope it isn't Wortho, but if it is then I will support him because he will be the manager of the FOXES.

For the record Burley or Davies for me

Dont be daft! Each passing result puts different pressures on other clubs and the fact that we would have stayed up anyway is only down to the fact that we beat a relegation rival in Barnsley and won at Preston along with Leeds taking the 10 point deduction. I have no doubt that had Nils not scored at Preston in the last few seconds, the Barnsley game would have had more pressure on it and there is a big chance we would have been relegated.

Worthingtons efforts in a few weeks are beyond the results anyway. We shouldnt judge the man on just what the players did on the pitch because I doubt that even the best managers could get much more out of a group of inept and apparently unfit players who were low on confidence. Some of the decisions that Wortho made were solid enough to make him a live candidate although 5 games isnt enough time for us fans to make anything more than an educated judgement on both what we have seen and what we know of the mans management history. Maybe had we got rid of RK and given Wortho the temproary job in January we may all be leaning towards keeping him, who knows?!

Dont be daft! Each passing result puts different pressures on other clubs and the fact that we would have stayed up anyway is only down to the fact that we beat a relegation rival in Barnsley and won at Preston along with Leeds taking the 10 point deduction. I have no doubt that had Nils not scored at Preston in the last few seconds, the Barnsley game would have had more pressure on it and there is a big chance we would have been relegated.

Worthingtons efforts in a few weeks are beyond the results anyway. We shouldnt judge the man on just what the players did on the pitch because I doubt that even the best managers could get much more out of a group of inept and apparently unfit players who were low on confidence. Some of the decisions that Wortho made were solid enough to make him a live candidate although 5 games isnt enough time for us fans to make anything more than an educated judgement on both what we have seen and what we know of the mans management history. Maybe had we got rid of RK and given Wortho the temproary job in January we may all be leaning towards keeping him, who knows?!

Yup.

His chances of getting the job rest more on his past performance at lifting the Championship than lifting our squad.

Leeds 10 pts deduction hasn't come into it.

We have been there before, leaning towards a manager due to results since a certain January. Won't repeat ourselves.

It's called football fans being fickle. If and buts.......

If RK had been in charge for the last 5 games we MAY have got the points we needed.........or didn't need. We wouldn't have seen Wortho in action and then maybe his chanes of being appointed in the summer would be higher than they currently are. A good move by MM, he has now crossed two off his shortlist.....!!

I think there is a lot of fickle people deciding no after the 1-4 defeat, I think worthington is capable of top 6 next season if he had the chance but I now think he wont get that chance, this result will make Milan look elsewhere.

I think there is a lot of fickle people deciding no after the 1-4 defeat, I think worthington is capable of top 6 next season if he had the chance but I now think he wont get that chance, this result will make Milan look elsewhere.

Its not a question of being fickle....a lot of supporters said they would make their minds up after the Wolves game. Fact is that we lost three out of three home games and scored only twice in five games. That is an awful record and nothing that suggests top six football.

Fair or not Worthington had five games to make an impression and would have rated 4/10 for his efforts.

Selecting less-than-match-fit players like Tiatto and consistently less-than-fully-fit non-performers like Fryatt gave him no credibility to me.

I said there's no excuse for giving us a handicap and I meant it.

Other aspects, like picking Hughes instead of an attacking midfielder, you could argue about. But the voluntary and unnecessary handicaps, no.

To me the question goes way deeper than that.

We have to get someone to believe in, someone with a clear vision for change at Leicester.

I am sick of our continually avoiding the idea of developing our team in a positive manner.The evidence with Adams, Levein, Kelly and even Worthington was plain enough.

None of them seemed willing to address our glaring problems - our lack of creativity in midfield, our lack of a second striker, our faltering 4-4-2, our lack of an attacking left-back, our general lack of movement, inability to deliver varied and accurate free-kicks and so much more.

Some attempts at solutions might have failed but at least they could have been tried.

But with all our managers mentioned it was always tomorrow, next week, we'll sort it on the training ground.

Why support such people?. These problems aren't new. They are two seasons old in the main.

Burley or Davies would sort them pronto, I'm quite sure, and a few more managers too.

So, apart from on matchday, why pay lip service to people who won't just so they can eke out some time?.

However one judges the managerial records of these four it must be patently obvious that they were all firefighting. If you have players out of their depth (which is self evident) and no money to replace them with I cannot for the life of me understand why you think they can plan anything other than one game ahead, let alone on the scale you suggest, Thracian. The next manager, however, can have no such excuses.

Archived