Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

Second albums better than the debut

Not one of you lot thought to mention My Bloody Valentine's 'Loveless'? Shame on you all. Neutral Milk Hotel's 'In the Aeroplane Over the Sea' is classic. Doolittle is amazing, where Surfer Rosa is just decent. Sigur Ros's Ãgætis Byrjun is way better than Von.

I'm sure I could think of a few more.

travis - the man who

the cardigans - life.

definately agree with MBV - but no way second coming can even compare to the debut, not even close....

More classic 2nd albums that were also better than the debut, apologies if any have already been mentioned:

Iggy & The Stooges - Funhouse

Lou Reed - Transformer

Jesus & Mary Chain - Darklands

Bob Dylan - The Freewheeling

Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure

Oasis - (Whats The Story) Morning Glory?

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Tubeway Army - Replicas

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

Joy Division - Closer

travis - the man who

the cardigans - life.

definately agree with MBV - but no way second coming can even compare to the debut, not even close....

The Steve Lillywhite produced Good Feeling is by far superior to The Man Who imho.

Maybe not commercially, but hey when has that ever been a benchmark?

The Steve Lillywhite produced Good Feeling is by far superior to The Man Who imho.

Maybe not commercially, but hey when has that ever been a benchmark?

i guess i said this based on seeing them tour the first album, and the singles - mediocre brit pop as i remember, but, like most of these, its all opinion based, i guess.

Radiohead - The Bends. (No obscure debut before PH)

Nirvana - Nevermind.

Foo Fighters - The Colour and The Shape.

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream.

Muse - OoS.

Oh yes.

Live- Throwing Copper

Within Temptation- Mother Earth

Creed- Human Clay

Evanescence- The Open Door (I don't care what anyone else says!)

i guess i said this based on seeing them tour the first album, and the singles - mediocre brit pop as i remember, but, like most of these, its all opinion based, i guess.

Steve Lillywhite will be horrified to be associated with Britpop but like you said it's all about opinions :thumbup:

More classic 2nd albums that were also better than the debut, apologies if any have already been mentioned:

Iggy & The Stooges - Funhouse

Lou Reed - Transformer

Jesus & Mary Chain - Darklands

Bob Dylan - The Freewheeling

Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure

Oasis - (Whats The Story) Morning Glory?

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Tubeway Army - Replicas

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

Joy Division - Closer

I know that Downward Spiral sold more and got better reveiws but I still think that Pretty Hate Machine is better...

It was basically cos I couldn't think of many off the top of my head, as opposed to bands whose debut I prefer to their second album;

Arctic Monkeys

Art Brut

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

The Cooper Temple Clause

The Coral

Daft Punk

Dandy Warhols

Franz Ferdinand

Fun Lovin' Criminals

Hot Chip

Jurassic 5

The Libertines

Maximo Park

The Music

Oasis

Rage Against The Machine

The Streets

The Strokes

Weezer

I've got another for the 2nd better than debut list though - Queens of the Stone Age

British Sea Power's The Decline Of... shits all over Open Season

Not one of you lot thought to mention My Bloody Valentine's 'Loveless'? Shame on you all. Neutral Milk Hotel's 'In the Aeroplane Over the Sea' is classic. Doolittle is amazing, where Surfer Rosa is just decent. Sigur Ros's Ãgætis Byrjun is way better than Von.

I'm sure I could think of a few more.

Doolittle is better than Surfer Rosa, but Come On Pilgrim came before both of those.

British Sea Power's The Decline Of... shits all over Open Season

Doolittle is better than Surfer Rosa, but Come On Pilgrim came before both of those.

Come on Pilgrim in an EP. Why it gets included in lists of their albums all the time I have no idea. Possibly because it seems to have been their only EP, but I have no clue.

Surfer Rosa was their first full length, and Doolittle is miles better.

As for BSP, I didn't think there was much to chose between the two albums, personally.

Come on Pilgrim in an EP. Why it gets included in lists of their albums all the time I have no idea. Possibly because it seems to have been their only EP, but I have no clue.

Surfer Rosa was their first full length, and Doolittle is miles better.

As for BSP, I didn't think there was much to chose between the two albums, personally.

Good shout, I just get confused because I've got the ol' Come On Pilgrim and Surfer Rosa same disc jobby.

Although your opinion's wrong about BSP.

Blur - Modern Life Is Rubbish - marginally better than Leisure

Pulp - Freaks

Paul Weller - Either Stanley Road or Wild Wood depending on whether he had an album before Wild Wood

Stereophonics - Performance And Cocktails

The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free even though both his first 2 albums are shit this one's marginally better becacuse of 'Dry Your Eyes'

Archived