Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

Second albums better than the debut

In my opinion, just off the top of my head;

LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver

Mr Scruff - Keep It Unreal

Muse - Origin of Symmetry (retreats to bunker with hard hat on)

Underworld - Second Toughest In The Infants

Yes

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo

In that order.

The other two, I couldn't possibly comment.

Agree with Underworld.

Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole (marginally better than Exit Planet Dust)

Hot Chip - Coming on Strong (many will disagree)

Radiohead - The Bends (someone will probably tell me there was some obscure debut before Pablo Honey, pretty sure there isn't though)

The Prodigy - Music for the Jilted Generation (Experience had a greater impact within dance music but their second had a greater influence on my taste)

Nightmares on Wax - Smoker's Delight (the first one was a completely different sound)

Am sure there's more but that'll do for starters!

Agree with Underworld.

Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole (marginally better than Exit Planet Dust)

Hot Chip - Coming on Strong (many will disagree)

Radiohead - The Bends (someone will probably tell me there was some obscure debut before Pablo Honey, pretty sure there isn't though)

The Prodigy - Music for the Jilted Generation (Experience had a greater impact within dance music but their second had a greater influence on my taste)

Nightmares on Wax - Smoker's Delight (the first one was a completely different sound)

Am sure there's more but that'll do for starters!

Coming On Strong came first mate. Agree with Prodigy, Radiohead and particularly Chemical Brothers definitely. DYOH is far, far better than their first in my opinion.

I just came back with the specific intention of highlighting that...The jump between Pablo Honey and The Bends is quite a big one...

Coming On Strong came first mate. Agree with Prodigy, Radiohead and particularly Chemical Brothers definitely. DYOH is far, far better than their first in my opinion.

Oops.

Whichever the more trippy one is, I prefer that!

Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow (better than Nia) - Fez you'll love this album if you haven't already got it.

Oops.

Whichever the more trippy one is, I prefer that!

Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow (better than Nia) - Fez you'll love this album if you haven't already got it.

I think you prefer COS from memory, the one you listened to on a train on the way back from work or something. :D

I haven't got anything by Blackalicious. Obviously I see the name mentioned in connection with J5 and The Roots. I shall endeavour to investigate further! :thumbup:

I think you prefer COS from memory, the one you listened to on a train on the way back from work or something. :D

I haven't got anything by Blackalicious. Obviously I see the name mentioned in connection with J5 and The Roots. I shall endeavour to investigate further! :thumbup:

F**king hell that is some memory. And you're right as well.

Blazing Arrow is such a good album. Probably in my top 5 for hip hop and that is saying something.

Did you get a chance to listen to that DJ Vadim album I recommended (The Soundcatcher)?

Lamb - Fear of Fours (over their self-titled debut)

In my opinion, Warning is the better album...

Hmmm actually I don't know about better.

I find myself listening to Warning more but really enjoy both.

Must I choose?

Buzzcocks - Love Bites

Ramones - Leave Home

Jean Michelle Jarre - Oxygene

Nirvana - Nevermind

Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy

SLF - Nobody's Heroes

Stranglers - No More Heroes

Buzzcocks - Love Bites

Ramones - Leave Home

Jean Michelle Jarre - Oxygene

Nirvana - Nevermind

Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy

SLF - Nobody's Heroes

Stranglers - No More Heroes

Awesome record that.

Strange choice topic this. Loads of bands have better second albums than their first but often neither are very good. Maybe '2nd albums better than classic debuts' or 'classic 2nd albums' would have been more appropriate?

Awesome record that.

Strange choice topic this. Loads of bands have better second albums than their first but often neither are very good. Maybe '2nd albums better than classic debuts' or 'classic 2nd albums' would have been more appropriate?

Fussy.

I doubt many people are going to come on say "xxx debut album was really shit but their second was a bit less shit".

the second coming - the stone roses was actually a lot better than it was given credit for (at the time) and musically was far far better than the first album.

also queen II was better than queens first album, queen.

F**king hell that is some memory. And you're right as well.

Blazing Arrow is such a good album. Probably in my top 5 for hip hop and that is saying something.

Did you get a chance to listen to that DJ Vadim album I recommended (The Soundcatcher)?

Lamb - Fear of Fours (over their self-titled debut)

I am sure James the Blue will probably agree with me :thumbup:

imo The Solesides greatest bumps cd on Ninja Tunes is a great introduction to the likes of Blackalicious, Lateef and Lyrics born and so on you could also get the Quannum Spectrum album on MoWax which also contains the same artists and sum of the greatest hip hop around imo

Awesome record that.

It was basically cos I couldn't think of many off the top of my head, as opposed to bands whose debut I prefer to their second album;

Arctic Monkeys

Art Brut

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

The Cooper Temple Clause

The Coral

Daft Punk

Dandy Warhols

Franz Ferdinand

Fun Lovin' Criminals

Hot Chip

Jurassic 5

The Libertines

Maximo Park

The Music

Oasis

Rage Against The Machine

The Streets

The Strokes

Weezer

I've got another for the 2nd better than debut list though - Queens of the Stone Age

Archived