Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

Mercury Music Prize 2007

these awards have no more validity than the brits, or even one of these '100 greatest' lists... music is about the individual, these artists appeal to some people to others they suck...take my comlpaint about jamie-tea - i listened to a track that was a bloke talking over a drum beat and a piano that sounded like a four year old playing, to me that 'music' should not only not win awards but shouldn't even be encouraged, to others it is a life affirming, quasi-religious experience.so, how a panel can legitimately distinguish between the 'shortlisted' artists is unfathomable.

the only award ceremony i have ever been to was the BMI awards, in america, and they, unashamedly, recognise the years most succesful artists in terms of sales...but, as with every thing in life, if you don't agree with it, you don't have to look...unless, you are some kind of masochist...personally, i don't think there have been any outstanding releases this year... or for the last few years, and certainly none that would be *coughs* shortlisted for this arse-licking-fest...

of course, in my opinion - yes, kasabian are pretty good, too.

Of course some people will love them, some people will hate them. That's bleeding obvious. My point is that if I listen to one of the shortlisted albums (that I otherwise wouldn't have heard of) and enjoy it then the MMP will have done it's job. Bringing new music to a wider audience.

I'm not placing too much importance on the awards and I'm not saying they perform the job I want them to every time (god help anyone that RELIES on them for what to listen to) I'm just appreciating the positive role that they should play.

For me that's a little idealistic. Rightly or wrongly sometimes it takes a prize to get people out to the gigs, or to buy the album. The end result is what matters though - people who may not have heard the genre, the band, the sound, etc now have their minds and ears opened.

Maybe in my own way I'm being a tad idealistic too (when it comes to the MMP). My hope is that it is always given to innovative artists, ones trying to push music into new territory. And when this happens I value the idea. However there's no doubt that what you say is true for the Brits and other tripe like that.

I simply hate any type of awards ceremony...probably because I never got my 1stXI football colours 25 years ago. Or some special woggle at cubs. Or something. I'm just a miserable bastard.

Anyway, I have downloaded this award-winning band and can definitely state that they are shit. Which means young people everywhere can breath freely as one less middle-aged fat bastard is trying to muscle in on their music. Maybe if they'd taken as much heroin as that lovely Winehouse girl they could've made something listen-able to. ;)

Of course some people will love them, some people will hate them. That's bleeding obvious. My point is that if I listen to one of the shortlisted albums (that I otherwise wouldn't have heard of) and enjoy it then the MMP will have done it's job. Bringing new music to a wider audience.

I'm not placing too much importance on the awards and I'm not saying they perform the job I want them to every time (god help anyone that RELIES on them for what to listen to) I'm just appreciating the positive role that they should play.

fair enough - but any band who makes it to the level of the MMP is usually mainstream succesful or darlings of the indie media, and either way usually enjoying masses of airtime on radio and online. award shows may provide a link to new bands, but nothing that couldn't have been found months (years!) earlier by listening to the radio and going to gigs, travling the internet... thus removing the need for a champagne dinner and a lucrative spin of compilation.

the trouble with music industry is that its too much about what you know rather than what you can do - there are thousands of bands way better than practically every labelled band across the world, you only have to go on myspace to see that, but cause they happen to know the right person they get a deal.

labels and agents don't (certainly very rarely) listen to unsolicited demos, most bands get signed because they have a mate or a cousin who knows someone at a label and drags them and their ego along to a gig, hence why so many shit bands come from london these days*, and these awards, as daggers says, are simply a jolly-up for labels and their current flavours of the month...

essentially, the MMP is richard and judy's book club for music....

(if you want to find new music - signed and unsigned try www.iacmusic.com or click the link in my sig)

*unsubstantiated fact

fair enough - but any band who makes it to the level of the MMP is usually mainstream succesful or darlings of the indie media, and either way usually enjoying masses of airtime on radio and online. award shows may provide a link to new bands, but nothing that couldn't have been found months (years!) earlier by listening to the radio and going to gigs, travling the internet... thus removing the need for a champagne dinner and a lucrative spin of compilation.

the trouble with music industry is that its too much about what you know rather than what you can do - there are thousands of bands way better than practically every labelled band across the world, you only have to go on myspace to see that, but cause they happen to know the right person they get a deal.

labels and agents don't (certainly very rarely) listen to unsolicited demos, most bands get signed because they have a mate or a cousin who knows someone at a label and drags them and their ego along to a gig, hence why so many shit bands come from london these days*, and these awards, as daggers says, are simply a jolly-up for labels and their current flavours of the month...

essentially, the MMP is richard and judy's book club for music....

(if you want to find new music - signed and unsigned try www.iacmusic.com or click the link in my sig)

*unsubstantiated fact

Disagree with the bold points. But this could go on forever!!

Anyway, I find new music all the time through various means (mainly word of mouth with mates actually although I use the internet, music shops (for vinyl - I mix drum n bass) and more) and as such (and as already mentioned) don't place much importance on the MMP. I do however recognise the role it plays, rightly or wrongly, in bringing new music to a new audience.

I think we're coming at this from roughly the same viewpoint - I certainly share much of your attitude to music.

Archived