Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

Mercury Music Prize 2007

:frusty:

I'm sorry, of course I knew that. I thought you were referring to a piece of recording equipment or something. lol

no worries...

there's never been much of a music scene in leicester and it seems to be getting worse...

Gaye bykers On Acid, Crazyhead, Bomb Party, Janitors, Yeah Yeah Yeah, Diesel Park West ......

christ, what a truly sorry list :unsure: - and you even managed to exclude Blab Happy.

the only credible bands to come out of leicester are Family and Prolapse

Fair enough, something different but like I said earlier in the thread it is very hit and miss. You have some great songs, (Atlantis to Interzone, Totem on the Timeline, Golden Skans and a few others) but there are a few that don't quite come off.

Much better live than on record too, got tickets to see them in December :worship:

The Mercury Music Prize is a bit pointless when they give it to bands like Klaxons. I respected it when it was given to Roni Size Reprazent and Dizzee Rascal but to give it to an already million-selling album made by a band about whom there's already been a lot of hype seems pretty pointless to me.

If anyone can let me know if there is ever any point to any award ceremony ever, I'd be grateful :thumbup:

What the f'ck has a prize got to do with making music? The reward comes through people coming to listen to you, buying your records and making applications to court for exclusion orders to prevent demented fans from sitting in your garage.

The MMP is totally pointless.

The MMP is totally pointless.

I don't agree.

The MMP is only pointless, as Fez implies, when it is given to a band that have already established themselves on the music scene.

For me this award should be given to artists like Roni Size who pioneer a sound that maybe doesn't get the exposure that either a) it deserves or b) requires to progress. The MMP should open people's ears to new types of music, new bands, new influences and new sounds that for whatever reason they would not have heard before.

If it does that then it serves a genuine and useful purpose.

I don't agree.

The MMP is only pointless, as Fez implies, when it is given to a band that have already established themselves on the music scene.

For me this award should be given to artists like Roni Size who pioneer a sound that maybe doesn't get the exposure that either a) it deserves or b) requires to progress. The MMP should open people's ears to new types of music, new bands, new influences and new sounds that for whatever reason they would not have heard before.

If it does that then it serves a genuine and useful purpose.

I have to say - nonsense.

A "Prize" shouldn't encourage people to listen to an artist. Getting out and playing venues does that. If you're good enough then word of mouth will spread and people will come to see you.

Things like this have been invented so that people in the Biz can feel good about themselves and slap each other on the back.

A prize is a short-cut to money. Nothing more. It caries no kudos with me whether it is for an album, dragging puppies from a fire or completing a homework neatly.

Extrinsic rewards are pointless.

I have to say - nonsense.

A "Prize" shouldn't encourage people to listen to an artist. Getting out and playing venues does that. If you're good enough then word of mouth will spread and people will come to see you.

For me that's a little idealistic. Rightly or wrongly sometimes it takes a prize to get people out to the gigs, or to buy the album. The end result is what matters though - people who may not have heard the genre, the band, the sound, etc now have their minds and ears opened.

Things like this have been invented so that people in the Biz can feel good about themselves and slap each other on the back.

A prize is a short-cut to money. Nothing more. It caries no kudos with me whether it is for an album, dragging puppies from a fire or completing a homework neatly.

Maybe in my own way I'm being a tad idealistic too (when it comes to the MMP). My hope is that it is always given to innovative artists, ones trying to push music into new territory. And when this happens I value the idea. However there's no doubt that what you say is true for the Brits and other tripe like that.

The MMP is there to promote British music. Yes, there has to be a winnner but by being nominated you receive good exposure.

It should not be for the most under exposed band from the nominations, else jazz would always win.

The comments about Roni Size confuse me as I understood he had plenty of exposure before the award. It just depends what you read. The same for that Rascal chap.

I think the MMP is good for showcasing British music (which is obviously the best in the world)

For me that's a little idealistic. Rightly or wrongly sometimes it takes a prize to get people out to the gigs, or to buy the album. The end result is what matters though - people who may not have heard the genre, the band, the sound, etc now have their minds and ears opened.Maybe in my own way I'm being a tad idealistic too (when it comes to the MMP). My hope is that it is always given to innovative artists, ones trying to push music into new territory. And when this happens I value the idea. However there's no doubt that what you say is true for the Brits and other tripe like that.

these awards have no more validity than the brits, or even one of these '100 greatest' lists... music is about the individual, these artists appeal to some people to others they suck...take my comlpaint about jamie-tea - i listened to a track that was a bloke talking over a drum beat and a piano that sounded like a four year old playing, to me that 'music' should not only not win awards but shouldn't even be encouraged, to others it is a life affirming, quasi-religious experience.so, how a panel can legitimately distinguish between the 'shortlisted' artists is unfathomable.

the only award ceremony i have ever been to was the BMI awards, in america, and they, unashamedly, recognise the years most succesful artists in terms of sales...but, as with every thing in life, if you don't agree with it, you don't have to look...unless, you are some kind of masochist...personally, i don't think there have been any outstanding releases this year... or for the last few years, and certainly none that would be *coughs* shortlisted for this arse-licking-fest...

In your opinion.What about Kasabian?

of course, in my opinion - yes, kasabian are pretty good, too.

The comments about Roni Size confuse me as I understood he had plenty of exposure before the award. It just depends what you read.

That's the point. Some people might not even have heard proper drum n bass before never mind New Forms which, to this day, is a fine album with influences far beyond the drum n bass scene.

He had exposure before the awards but maybe the MMP opened it up to a new audience.

Archived