Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JoeyB

Gaffa Speaks!

Good evening

It took a lot of guts in the first half against Portsmouth this afternoon because they knocked the ball around quite well; they were sharp and I remember them drawing 0-0 with Liverpool last weekend.

They are good players and keep possession well and in that heat out on the pitch it was a bit of a run around for our players.

But they stuck at it and in the second half they played higher up the field, got a little bit closer, played some more forward passes and we tried to turn the game around tactically by trying to get in behind Portsmouth's players quicker and unsettle them.

That is what we did and we created six good chances, their goalkeeper made some brilliant saves - perhaps we could have had a little bit better finishing but the effort, the energy, power and pace was there in the second half and they responded magnificently.

It was nice that our supporters appreciated that; we could have just waited around and hung about at 2-1 and let it all be but I don't really like that.

If we are going to lose then I prefer to have a go and put more people up front and play with three at the back, hit some diagonal passes to our big fellas, get crosses in and try to get forward.

I also know about the abuse Mark de Vries has taken in the past, rightly or wrongly, but he's worked hard through the summer on his fitness, worked very hard with me in pre-season, he's been an excellent professional and as I said earlier, supporters don't mind if players have a go.

Mark has now got some confidence, he's had a kick up the backside from me and he's had to work harder than he ever has in his life but I said to him that he'd get the benefits in the long term and if he continues what he's doing then he's got a chance of being an asset to me, to himself and of course the fans.

On the injury front, Gareth McAuley has had about six stitches in his calf but that's nothing and he'll soon shake that off while Joe Mattock has got a hip problem and we'll have to wait and see about that one.

It's always nice for me to go back to Cambridge where I spent three years at university so I am looking forward to going back there on Monday night.

All the players who weren't involved today will go there and play. It will be a competitive game for those players that need that little bit extra and they'll continue the work that they have been doing.

We'll now go away and review this afternoon's game and get in early on Monday and review the video before working with the senior players, as we build up to Saturday's game against Blackpool.

Take Care

Martin

LINAKGE

From the OS...

"I also know about the abuse Mark de Vries has taken in the past, rightly or wrongly, but he's worked hard through the summer on his fitness, worked very hard with me in pre-season, he's been an excellent professional and as I said earlier, supporters don't mind if players have a go.

Mark has now got some confidence, he's had a kick up the backside from me and he's had to work harder than he ever has in his life but I said to him that he'd get the benefits in the long term and if he continues what he's doing then he's got a chance of being an asset to me, to himself and of course the fans.

On the injury front, Gareth McAuley has had about six stitches in his calf but that's nothing and he'll soon shake that off while Joe Mattock has got a hip problem and we'll have to wait and see about that one."

There's more... see the link.

McAuley's injury doesn't seem to concern Allen... but the Mattock one is a little vague.

He's really put a lot of effort into DeVries, it seems.

It seems as if he is giving Dr Vries a really big push to be involved this season.

Didn't Mattock finish last season with a hip problem ? Hope that is nothing continuous.

If we are going to lose then I prefer to have a go and put more people up front and play with three at the back, hit some diagonal passes to our big fellas, get crosses in and try to get forward.

Good! I can't see the point in damage limitation if you are losing by a couple of goals. Might as well have a go.

Good! I can't see the point in damage limitation if you are losing by a couple of goals. Might as well have a go.

That is good to hear. Its not nice getting hammered which may well happen as we chase goals to get back into games but heres hoping that we arent chasing too many games and have already wrapped up the points by the 75 minute mark lol. Aaaah, memories of the days of slinging big Stevie Walsh upfront for the latter part of the games to get us out of the shite come flooding back!! :worship:

It seems as if he is giving Dr Vries a really big push to be involved this season.

Didn't Mattock finish last season with a hip problem ? Hope that is nothing continuous.

He's a young lad and still growing. I remember at that age I had all kinds of problems with my right knee due to the way the bones and muscles grew. I'm sure he'll be fine.

Manager Speaks

Posted on: Sat 04 Aug 2007

Good evening

It took a lot of guts in the first half against Portsmouth this afternoon because they knocked the ball around quite well; they were sharp and I remember them drawing 0-0 with Liverpool last weekend.

They are good players and keep possession well and in that heat out on the pitch it was a bit of a run around for our players.

But they stuck at it and in the second half they played higher up the field, got a little bit closer, played some more forward passes and we tried to turn the game around tactically by trying to get in behind Portsmouth's players quicker and unsettle them.

That is what we did and we created six good chances, their goalkeeper made some brilliant saves - perhaps we could have had a little bit better finishing but the effort, the energy, power and pace was there in the second half and they responded magnificently.

It was nice that our supporters appreciated that; we could have just waited around and hung about at 2-1 and let it all be but I don't really like that.

I also know about the abuse Mark de Vries has taken in the past, rightly or wrongly, but he's worked hard through the summer on his fitness, worked very hard with me in pre-season, he's been an excellent professional and as I said earlier, supporters don't mind if players have a go.

On the injury front, Gareth McAuley has had about six stitches in his calf but that's nothing and he'll soon shake that off while Joe Mattock has got a hip problem and we'll have to wait and see about that one.

It's always nice for me to go back to Cambridge where I spent three years at university so I am looking forward to going back there on Monday night.

All the players who weren't involved today will go there and play. It will be a competitive game for those players that need that little bit extra and they'll continue the work that they have been doing.

We'll now go away and review this afternoon's game and get in early on Monday and review the video before working with the senior players, as we build up to Saturday's game against Blackpool.

Take Care

Martin

Does mean that Kaebi finally set to play?

Gaffer Talks

Posted on: Tue 07 Aug 2007

Good morning,

Our match against Cambridge on Monday night was a game that certain people needed. It was good to see some more young players playing. I knew that Cambridge would be very well organised, with Jimmy, and I know how competitive all the lads are at that level.

The first half was not the best. You cannot go to those places and just try and play nice football. You have to compete. In the second half we played higher up the field with much more urgency. We could have had a lot of goals. It was a much better second half performance after what you would have to say was an average first half, if that.

Article continues

Advertisement

Darren Kenton was the outstanding player on the night, without a shadow of a doubt. He was outstanding. He showed commitment, energy and attitude. That's why I took him off - I am going to add him to the squad now for our game at the weekend. You cannot ignore people when they put in good performances and show that type of attitude. Fair play to him. He gave everything he had and more on the night.

We didn't pick up any knocks from the game. Kaebi had a fitness test on Monday morning and he's not quite right. He is settling in and he has learnt a little bit more English. He says hello and goodbye now, rather than good and not so good, for want of another word. There is no rush for him. He will have to take his time. We have got the interpreter with us and he has started his English lessons. He has got all the other bits and pieces sorted out - a place to live, a bank account, a telephone, a car - all these things that you have to do. I have an excellent back up support team behind me who have put all that in to place. So everything is fixed up. A lot of credit has to be put to the people behind the scenes who have helped to put that together.

The players are all in today for a double session. The lads that all played in the game on Monday night will all be in for a warm down session and then we will all get back together.

Then on Thursday morning we will get a team out on the training pitch. The barrier will come down at the training ground at 10 o'clock and then the work will start on pitch number one and we will see if we can get some stuff into them over the two days. We will get them sorted out - ready for their first cup final.

Take care,

Martin

Darren Kenton was the outstanding player on the night, without a shadow of a doubt. He was outstanding. He showed commitment, energy and attitude. That's why I took him off - I am going to add him to the squad now for our game at the weekend. You cannot ignore people when they put in good performances and show that type of attitude. Fair play to him. He gave everything he had and more on the night.

Just as he did for Wortho and as he tried to do for the dickhead...I'm pleased for the lad - he may not be the most technically gifted but he is one of the most committed players in the squad from last season. I hope it pays off for him.

Just as he did for Wortho and as he tried to do for the dickhead...I'm pleased for the lad - he may not be the most technically gifted but he is one of the most committed players in the squad from last season. I hope it pays off for him.

Agreed. I think he got a raw deal off our fans last season. I thought he was better at right-back than Stearman and better at centre-back than McCarthy. Stearman looks like he'll be a first-team regular this season, McCarthy gets a six-figure fee move to a promotion favourite and Kenton gets transfer-listed.

Agreed. I think he got a raw deal off our fans last season. I thought he was better at right-back than Stearman and better at centre-back than McCarthy. Stearman looks like he'll be a first-team regular this season, McCarthy gets a six-figure fee move to a promotion favourite and Kenton gets transfer-listed.

I think some of the stick he got was unfair but he was hardly singled out or anything. His pace is a major problem though, at times last season players just breezed past him whether playing at CB or RB, Sheff Weds away a prime example.

If life was fair I'd be reclining in the tropical sun having coconut oil massaged into my vitals by luscious nubiles.

Putting in this level of effort should at least pay off in a larger transfer fee if he starts impressing - or a regular slot. The downside is if he starts flinging himself around again and goes and knacks himself again.

An injured Kenton is just a waste of a squad number.

I prefer him at right back. Have a lot of time for him as he always gives his all in an honest and not a 'look at me' kind of way.

I always hated McCarthy for his histrionics.

Funny how it worked out for Captain Fantastic but not for McCarthy. Still Walshy was a one off.

Archived