Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Moreton

City strikers in bookies favourites for top scorer

link

Two Leicester City strikers are being tipped to be among the top scorers in this season's Coca-Cola Championship.

Manager Martin Allen outlined in yesterday's Leicester Mercury how he is planning an attacking style of play.

And DJ Campbell and Carl Cort are high in the bookmakers' lists to be the top Championship marksman.

The pair of new signings are both priced as low as 14-1 to finish the campaign as the division's leading goal-getter.

Campbell, who cost £2.1million from Birmingham when he became City's 12th signing of the summer last month, is 14-1 with on-line bookmakers Better and Betdirect.

His price perhaps reflects his impressive record last season with the Blues, scoring 13 times in 20 starts.

Cort, who joined from Wolves in early June but has yet to play in pre-season because of injury, is at the same price with Stan James.

However, Campbell is best priced at 28-1 with Stan James, and punters can get 33-1 on Cort with both Betfred and Blue Square.

Iain Hume, City's top-scorer last season with 14 goals, is 25-1 with totesport to lead the division's goal-lists, and as high as 50-1 with Blue Square.

Other City strikers listed include Matty Fryatt (who is as low as 20-1 with Betfred and as high as 50-1 with totesport, VC Bet and Stan James), Elvis Hammond (40-1 with Betfred and 100-1 with Blue Square) and a resurgent Mark de Vries (66-1 with Mark Jarvis).

West Bromwich Albion's Kevin Phillips and Watford's Marlon King are ranked 9-1 joint favourites for the Championship goal crown.

Former England striker Phillips, who was on the losing side in last season's Championship play-off final against Derby, is at that price with totesport, while 9-1 is available for King with Betfred, Better and Stan James.

Near the top of the betting field is Leicester-born Luke Varney, who moved from League One outfit Crewe to relegated Charlton for £2.5m in the summer.

Varney, the former Quorn player who netted 25 goals for the Railwaymen last season, is as low as 12-1 with totesport, and as high as 22-1 with bet365 to emerge the Championship's top scorer.

Selected odds:

totesport: 9-1 Kevin Phillips (West Brom); 10-1 Marek Saganowski (Southampton); 11-1 Svetoslav Todorov (Charlton); 12-1 Marlon King (Watford), Luke Varney (Charlton); 14-1 Billy Sharp (Sheff Utd), Freddy Eastwood (Wolves). City: 16-1 DJ Campbell; 20-1 Carl Cort, 25-1 Iain Hume, 50-1 Matty Fryatt, 66-1 Elvis Hammond.

Betdirect: 9-1 King; 10-1 Phillips, 12-1 Eastwood, Saganowski, Grezgorz Rasiak (Southampton); 14-1 Sharp, Todorov. City: 14-1 Campbell, 20-1 Cort, 40-1 Fryatt, Hume.

Stan James: 9-1 King; 10-1 Phillips, Sharp, Jamie Cureton (Norwich); 12-1 Saganowski, Varney, Clinton Morrison (Crystal Palace). City: 14-1 Cort, 28-1 Campbell, 33-1 Hume, 50-1 Fryatt, 66-1 Hammond.

Mark Jarvis: 9-1 King, 10-1 Cureton, Phillips, Sharp, 12-1 Varney, Morrison, Saganowski, 16-1 Cort, 28-1 Campbell, 33-1 Hume, 50-1 Fryatt, 66-1 Hammond, de Vries.

:blink:

The best odds there for Hume are 40-1 and Elvis is running at 66-1

I dunno if you're saying I misread the article or that the article's wrong. As for the former:

"Iain Hume, City's top-scorer last season with 14 goals, is 25-1 with totesport to lead the division's goal-lists, and as high as 50-1 with Blue Square."

Yeates is 100-1, whereas Hammond is 125-1. Brilliant. :thumbup:

On a serious note, Ellington is a decent option at 25-1, especially now Kamara's gone to Fulham.

I dunno. Mowbray doesn't seem to like him much. He was on the bench for the pre-season friendly at Sixfields recently and was moaning about it. I can't see him playing enough games to be top scorer - I reckon they'll buy a replacement. We shall see though.

I dunno if you're saying I misread the article or that the article's wrong. As for the former:

Reading the article? Pah! Such things are for little people.

Great minds like mine always skip to the end for the summary.

:whistle:

:doh::blush:

I dunno. Mowbray doesn't seem to like him much. He was on the bench for the pre-season friendly at Sixfields recently and was moaning about it. I can't see him playing enough games to be top scorer - I reckon they'll buy a replacement. We shall see though.

Must admit I've not really followed his progress. Scored 24 goals for Wigan when they get promoted, although admittedly, Roberts was a major influence.

Must admit I've not really followed his progress. Scored 24 goals for Wigan when they get promoted, although admittedly, Roberts was a major influence.

I've always thought he's been a bit hard done by at WBA too. He's certainly not made the most of his talents. He used to be viewed on a par with Earnshaw but it's Earnie that's got the multi-million pound move to the Premiership despite injury last season and Ellington is still wedged firmly on WBA's bench. I'd take him for around £1million but strikers are such a commodity these days I bet they'd be looking for around £2million at least even if he's not rated by the management there.

The report says Cort hasn't played all pre season, but he actually has.

If he can get fit, he will score goals, no doubt about that.

Yeah, but I just can't see him playing more than 15 at the most. :( I would guess hes already missed the first few games already & then he has no match fitness so take a few games coming of the bench as a sub before he can start a game.

Archived