Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stevie909

MA please sign a.....

I thought Hayes made an excellent contribution although he looked about knackered by the end. Hayes showed up well against Hinckley too but was as poor against Notts County.

Strikes me that he and Porter could both be accommodated in the same squad. Strikes me than Porter is fitter, a better general pass maker and much sounder defensively when we've lost the ball or are having to bring it out of defence.

Hayes looks more your traditional winger - fast enough to beat a guy and get a cross in but not for too long without a break. He can also move about a bit, like Porter. In their ways I like them both - and certainly much more than Newton or Mattock there.

If Hayes isn't fit, that's probably why he went for Newton/Weso on the flanks, though I'd rather have seen Porter than men out of position. He doesn't seem to rate Porter at all, though, and I don't see him getting past three quality CM players for a spot, even if he would (in theory) offer us a different attacking dimension.

If Hayes isn't fit, that's probably why he went for Newton/Weso on the flanks, though I'd rather have seen Porter than men out of position. He doesn't seem to rate Porter at all, though, and I don't see him getting past three quality CM players for a spot, even if he would (in theory) offer us a different attacking dimension.

You may be right but we won't get enough goals without Porter/Hayes or a new signing.

Look at our starting team today, with the goals potential in brackets:

Henderson (0)

Chambers (0), N'Gotty (0.25), McAuley (0.5), Mattock (0)

Wesolowski (0.5) Kishishev (0) Clemence (0.25);

Newton (0.5), Hume (1), DeVries (1).

That's 4 potential scorers in total. It is simply and categorically not enough. And until the team was changed we had very few chances.

We finished with:

Henderson (0)

Stearman (0.5), N'Gotty (0.25), McAuley (0.5),

Wesolowski (0.5), Clemence (0.25), Hayes (0.5);

Newton (0.5) Hume (1), DeVries (1), Campbell (1)

total: 6.

That is 2 potential scorers more, is much closer to what we need to have at any time, and explains why we created so many more chances.

Whenever MA picks a notional team he should consider the scorer threat in that way.

Irrespective of what a manager prefers his team must have balance.

Been a bit unfair with Chambers there, Thrac. On today's performance he's a superb attacking right-back.

I'd also say that on that scale (which is a ridiculously unexact science and entirely subjective :P) most teams nowadays tend to rank no higher than 4.5-5.5, even promoted ones.

Been a bit unfair with Chambers there, Thrac. On today's performance he's a superb attacking right-back.

Not sure about "superb" but generally, on what I've seen so far, I agree. But the figures aren't static anyway. It just that his record, as I recall, doesn't suggest he scores very often.

Generally I would suggest if you go below 5.0 you've no chance of scoring the goals necessary unless you have unusually outstanding strikers that might rate more than one (with 15 goals a season as the notional basis for one).

Yes, it's inexact. But it works and you can prove if you have the time.

Not sure about "superb" but generally, on what I've seen so far, I agree. But the figures aren't static anyway. It just that his record, as I recall, doesn't suggest he scores very often.

Generally I would suggest if you go below 5.0 you've no chance of scoring the goals necessary unless you have unusually outstanding strikers that might rate more than one (with 15 goals a season as the notional basis for one).

Yes, it's inexact. But it works and you can prove if you have the time.

I think potential scorers and attacking intent are quite different, though. Chambers looks a better player than Stearman, and even if Stearman scores more, Chambers might very well create more goals and drag the team forward as a whole.

I mean, if you played 11 strikers, in theory you'd score tons, but it's unlikely to actually happen. Unless Heskey plays defense. (I'm kidding, no need to elaborate on this one :D) I think it might be better to consider a ratio of attack minded to defense minded players, in which case Allen scores five with his initial line up (full backs, Newton, and the strikers) and more later on.

I think potential scorers and attacking intent are quite different, though. Chambers looks a better player than Stearman, and even if Stearman scores more, Chambers might very well create more goals and drag the team forward as a whole.

I mean, if you played 11 strikers, in theory you'd score tons, but it's unlikely to actually happen. Unless Heskey plays defense. (I'm kidding, no need to elaborate on this one :D) I think it might be better to consider a ratio of attack minded to defense minded players, in which case Allen scores five with his initial line up (full backs, Newton, and the strikers) and more later on.

They are different but you can extend the idea even in training to include assists/ shots on target etc.

As a manager/coach I used to have people compile such statistics on every player. It turns up suprprising facts.

People you might overlook tutrn outto be much more effective than you thought and vice-versa.

It also shows up the players who take responsibility and try to make things happen from the people who don't.

left back. i have never seen such an un-confident player as i have in mattock today.

In the second half his touch was very poor, and times when he should have crossed, he bottled it and passed the ball backwards.

I have respect for him and his potential, but he is not developed enough to play first-team football.

-

creative midfielder. Kishishev played a bit-part today, and never seemed to get off the mark.

We need someone who can pick up those loose balls, especially since there was an area of space in midfield where we seemed especially lax.

just remember we havent seen kaebi or hellings play yet

Yes - and if Newton was having a go at him, as it seemed, I don't know how he resisted chinning the bloke.

Mattock's been fast forwarded too fast. Top clubs have sniffed around and the reason he's been fast tracked is to up his price. But he's not ready. He should be coming in off the bench, bit by bit, especially with Sheehan being available and in such good form,.

It isn't right. He's 17 and has things to learn. The lad needs some breathing space. Time to take things in an assess them. Time to work on problem areas between games.

Thats strange to read as you have been championing the inclusion of quite a few youngsters since the back end of last season. You wanted Dodds and King in and now you say that we are rushing his inclusion. Im not 100% certain but Im pretty sure you want Gradel in too?? Last season when I put it to you that we should slowly bring in players like Fergie did originally with Man Utd you said that young players learn from mistakes and need to be thrust into the deep end to make them better quicker! Make your mind up fella as you constantly contradict yourself and you forget what you say. You seem to have changed your tune on this one or I you going to tell me you never said such things lol??

My thoughts on Mattock is that he has ability but we need to remember the level that we are playing. We are not a D1 club or a skint club that needs to risk a load of untried kids. We need to nurture players otherwise they will blow up and some may take too long to recover. Stearman is one of ours who we asked too much of early and you see signs elsewhere in footy of youngsters who seem to be thrust into the limelight too soon like Agbhonlahoor at Villa, Milner at Newcastle or even Walcott for England that can have negative effects on there careers.

To see the lads confidence go today was almost distressing as he isnt a 30yo who can brush it off and is still a kid. Lets nurture him into the squad and not treat him like a bloomin Gareth Bale! We obviously have money to spend and looked at a left-back as Morfow was on trial but I think we need to add some more support to that side of the pitch other than Sheehan.

we need:

LB

CM

ST

No need for any more wingers! We already have Newton and Kaebi for the right. Hayes and Porter for the left. Hayes could easily do a job there. Don't see that we need a GK as desperate as we did last year because this year our defence is much more solid, especially with N'gotty, Kisnorbo and Mcauley. We need another CM who can create goalscoring opportunities. Somebody along the lines of Gareth Williams or Danny Murphy. Not suggesting that we should resign Williams. We also need a striker, maybe Hasselbaink. De Vries is hardly gonna score and Fryatt will never get picked. Campbell is a waste of 1.6 million pounds and won't score 20 goals a season. Hume will be the best out of all our current strikers but will only score 13/14 like last year, if he's at his best. So MA sort it out!

No need for any more wingers! We already have Newton and Kaebi for the right. Hayes and Porter for the left. Hayes could easily do a job there.

I still think we could do better on the left...

We also need a striker, maybe Hasselbaink. De Vries is hardly gonna score and Fryatt will never get picked. Campbell is a waste of 1.6 million pounds and won't score 20 goals a season. Hume will be the best out of all our current strikers but will only score 13/14 like last year, if he's at his best. So MA sort it out!

de Vries hasn't got a bad scoring record. Campbell got 12 goals in 20 starts (I think) last season for Brum, so on that evidence he could easily get 20 goals.

Archived