Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stevie909

MA please sign a.....

left back. i have never seen such an un-confident player as i have in mattock today.

In the second half his touch was very poor, and times when he should have crossed, he bottled it and passed the ball backwards.

I have respect for him and his potential, but he is not developed enough to play first-team football.

-

creative midfielder. Kishishev played a bit-part today, and never seemed to get off the mark.

We need someone who can pick up those loose balls, especially since there was an area of space in midfield where we seemed especially lax.

left back. i have never seen such an un-confident player as i have in mattock today.

In the second half his touch was very poor, and times when he should have crossed, he bottled it and passed the ball backwards.

I have respect for him and his potential, but he is not developed enough to play first-team football.

-

creative midfielder. Kishishev played a bit-part today, and never seemed to get off the mark.

We need someone who can pick up those loose balls, especially since there was an area of space in midfield where we seemed especially lax.

Left winger. And possibly a goalkeeper.

Mattock had a crazy 5 minutes today. He made a mistake, got shouted at, and it snowballed. Mental strength tends to come with experience, he'll be fine. I do agree we need more experience there, though.

Personally I'd prefer Mattock in left midfield. I've never thought he looked slightly lightweight until today.

Thank You!!!

Finally.

Mattock had a crazy 5 minutes today. He made a mistake, got shouted at, and it snowballed. Mental strength tends to come with experience, he'll be fine. I do agree we need more experience there, though

Quite right, Mattock will come good I'm sure. It just might be a bit early for him though.

Mattock had a crazy 5 minutes today. He made a mistake, got shouted at, and it snowballed. Mental strength tends to come with experience, he'll be fine. I do agree we need more experience there, though.

Personally I'd prefer Mattock in left midfield. I've never thought he looked slightly lightweight until today.

Yes - and if Newton was having a go at him, as it seemed, I don't know how he resisted chinning the bloke.

Newton was a sodding disgrace. In the first situation he'd been given the ball with stacks of space to get a cross in but he didn't seem to have the energy to deliver and passed the ball to Mattock who was quickly being closed down and eventually got forced back.

Not having a right foot, made the bizarre decision to try and bend a 30 yard left-foot pass with the outside of his foot, mishit it and Newton had a go at him.

The second situation was similar in some ways with Newton leaving Mattock in a cul-de-sac with an opponent closing him down. Mattock slipped, the ball was lost and Blackpool eventually scored.

If I'd have been MA I'd have taken Newton off not Mattock and let him know how I felt in no uncertain terms. I'd never take a kid off in that situation. That's the time you need to show em some belief.

Mattock's been fast forwarded too fast. Top clubs have sniffed around and the reason he's been fast tracked is to up his price. But he's not ready. He should be coming in off the bench, bit by bit, especially with Sheehan being available and in such good form,.

But I would have talked to Mattock afterwards about his concentration and his decision making. Things that would make him a better player.

Forum posters are as bad. Stacks have picked him without ever seeing him play left back, or at least for no more than a short time. But because he's a bit physcial, a 100%er and a bit of a hardcase - and because the City boss seems to like him - they've clamoured for his inclusion.

It isn't right. He's 17 and has things to learn. The lad needs some breathing space. Time to take things in an assess them. Time to work on problem areas between games.

Sheehan and Mattock are damned good players and can evolve in tandem used properly.

But they also need to play with a kindred spirit on the left - someone like Porter or Hayes or Beswick. Someone who plays their kind of football. One of the great strengths of the youngsters is the way they play together. They don't need someone like Newton yelling at them.

It's not so long back into last season that Newton gave away a goal through his slipshod defending. He should look to his own inadequacies.

It won't take him long to find em.

PS: Mattock is a left-back, he's not fast enough, tricky enough or incisive enough for left midfield.

Newton was a sodding disgrace. In the first situation he'd been given the ball with stacks of space to get a cross in but he didn't seem to have the energy to deliver and passed the ball to Mattock who was quickly being closed down and eventually got forced back.

Not having a right foot, made the bizarre decision to try and bend a 30 yard left-foot pass with the outside of his foot, mishit it and Newton had a go at him.

The second situation was similar in some ways with Newton leaving Mattock in a cul-de-sac with an opponent closing him down. Mattock slipped, the ball was lost and Blackpool eventually scored.

I didn't notice that myself, but I can believe it. Were you close(ish) to the pitch? I think it's slightly unfair to blame Newton for Mattock slipping, though. He did it three times, every one of them inoppurtune.

If I'd have been MA I'd have taken Newton off not Mattock and let him know how I felt in no uncertain terms. I'd never take a kid off in that situation. That's the time you need to show em some belief.

But I would have talked to Mattock afterwards about his concentration and his decision making. Things that would make him a better player.

It's a tough decision. On the one hand you don't want him to lose confidence entirely - on the other, he's dying out there. I think the substitution was as much tactical as because of Mattock's shortcomings, in the end. I'm sure he did have a word with him, any manager worth their salt would.

But they also need to play with a kindred spirit on the left - someone like Porter or Hayes or Beswick. Someone who plays their kind of football. One of the great strengths of the youngsters is the way they play together. They don't need someone like Newton yelling at them.

What'd you think to Hayes? I know you rate Porter as a CM but to me Hayes looked a better bet at left-mid.

PS: Mattock is a left-back, he's not fast enough, tricky enough or incisive enough for left midfield.

I disagree. We'll see. :)

Every time Mattock plays on the left side of midfield, he plays awful and makes everyone think he is crap. He should be played at left back where he showed his quality towards the end of last season. Left back with the occasional surging run forward.

Mattock is a shocking left mid, but an extremely good left back :)

A striker who can hold up the ball and win their fair share of headers, and who isnt constantly on the treatment table. For such a big man ive never seen anyone so useless in the air as MDV. The bloke carnt jump and has the mobility of a combine harvester. But to be fair to him, when you play it into him at chest height or below, the ball normally sticks. But for me, he is not good enough, and doesnt provide enough goal threat. Someone like Marcus Bent would be quality for us.

A commanding goalkeeper would be nice. Think we missed a trick in not persuing someone like Lee Camp who went to QPR for around 300k.

A left winger has to be the number one priority for this week. Im really surprised that this wasnt sorted before today. Playing a defensive midfielder out on the wing is not the answer. The best way to break teams down and get behind them is from wide positions and this was lacking today. Our midfield was too workman like and didnt have enough flair or creativity in it. Hopefully with Ka'abi and one more midfielder still to come, this can be rectified.

Every time Mattock plays on the left side of midfield, he plays awful and makes everyone think he is crap. He should be played at left back where he showed his quality towards the end of last season. Left back with the occasional surging run forward.

What the ****?! He played left back today. :blink:

lol

Another classic. Good post. No really.

I didn't notice that myself, but I can believe it. Were you close(ish) to the pitch? I think it's slightly unfair to blame Newton for Mattock slipping, though. He did it three times, every one of them inoppurtune.

It's a tough decision. On the one hand you don't want him to lose confidence entirely - on the other, he's dying out there. I think the substitution was as much tactical as because of Mattock's shortcomings, in the end. I'm sure he did have a word with him, any manager worth their salt would.

What'd you think to Hayes? I know you rate Porter as a CM but to me Hayes looked a better bet at left-mid.

Beswick was more effective in left midfield, even at Academy level, basically because he's so fast to deliver good crosses.

I thought Hayes made an excellent contribution although he looked about knackered by the end. Hayes showed up well against Hinckley too but was as poor against Notts County.

Strikes me that he and Porter could both be accommodated in the same squad. Strikes me than Porter is fitter, a better general pass maker and much sounder defensively when we've lost the ball or are having to bring it out of defence.

Hayes looks more your traditional winger - fast enough to beat a guy and get a cross in but not for too long without a break. He can also move about a bit, like Porter. In their ways I like them both - and certainly much more than Newton or Mattock there.

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about the goalkeeping position, thats the least of our worries at the minute.

Don't agree with that. Hendo's commanding of the area is terrible and what confidence will it give to the rest of the team if they don't think they can rely on the goalkeeper. There were a few examples today, once where he ran needlessly out about 15 yards to punch N'gotty in the head, and the other time where he dribbled the ball out rather than smacking it!

Archived