Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MBK

Reserve win nothing

Leicester City 1-2 Nottingham Forest

Posted on: Mon 20 Aug 2007

Leicester City went down 2-1 to near neighbours Nottingham Forest in the opening game of their Pontin's Central League cmpaign at the Marston's Stadium on Monday evening.Ricky Sapplton grabbed the only goal for the Foxes on the night - the butch forward reacting quickly to prod home from close rage in the 35th minute of the contest.

City fielded a squad containing a mixture of youth and experience for the local derby clash - with Jimmy Nielsen, Alan Maybury, Matty Fryatt and Richard Stearman all named in the starting line up.Article continues

The first effort of the evening came in the third minute. Levi Porter swung in a corner from the left, but Andy King was unbalanced and his volley fell wide of the target.Fryatt was released through on goal by Eric Odhiambo five minutes later, but his effort from 12 yards was well blocked by James Perch.

The Foxes came close again a minute later - Ricky Sappleton just failing to guide home a glancing header from a Levi Porter cross.Forest's first effort on goal came in the 12th minute - Felix Bastians crashing the ball against the bar from a free-kick just outside the City area.Bastians wasn't far off again four minutes later - his header from 12 yards rebounding off Nielsen's left-hand upright.Sergio Hellings tried his luck from range with 18 minutes on the clock, but his shot from 25-yards fell just wide of the target.Mark Bryne smashed in a fierce volley from 25 yards in the 23rd minutes, but Nielsen was up to the task in the City goal and made a comfortable save.

The Foxes took the lead 12 minutes later. Forest goalkeeper Shane Redmond was unable to hold on to a rasping Joe Mattock long-range drive, and Sappleton was there to fire home the rebound.Bastians hit the woodwork for the third time moments later - his curling shot clipping the outside of Nielsen's left-hand upright.A free-flowing move almost brought City a second in the 39th minutes. Fryatt's cross from the left was met by Sappleton on the far post, but Tom Sharpe was there to make a last ditch block for the visitors.Nielsen was forced into action in the last minute of the half- getting down well to block Emile Sinclair's effort.

City made a double change on 58 minutes - Billy McKay and Ryan Beswick replacing Porter and goalscorer Sappleton.

Forest equalised with 75 minutes on the clock. Matthew Thornhill picked up the ball on the edge of the City area and without breaking stride hit a well struck first time drive past the diving Nielsen.

Mattock came close to regaining the lead for the Foxes three minutes later, but his low drive was smothered by Redmond.

The visitors grabbed the winner with five minutes of the game remaining - Bryne scoring from a clever lob after the Leicester defence had only half cleared.

Highlights from the game will be available on Leicester City World from noon on Tuesday.City: Nielsen, Maybury, Mattock, Hellings, Stearman, Rowe-Turner, Odhiambo, King (Magunda 83), Sappleton (McKay 58), Fryatt, Porter (Beswick 58).

Subs not used: Cisak, Garner.

Forest: Redmond, Perch, Heath, Power, Bencherif, Sharpe, Byrne (Treacy90), Thornhill, Sinclair (Fairclough 52), Salem (Brown 87), Bastians.

Subs not used: Roberts, Green.Yellow: Power

Att: 547

Quite a good game. We edged the first half although Forest hit the bar and post. Second half was all Forest and we ended up buckling under the non-stop pressure. A useful game though. If Nielsen ever makes an appearance for our first team I'll be very surprised. I'd even go as far as saying he's worse than Douglas and that's saying something!

If Martin Allen says he's got a winning mentality this was no way to show it.

Leicester, while thy had the edge in the first half and turned round 1-0 ahead could actually have been 3-1 down just on Forest shots, all from Felix Bastians - which rattled the woodwork.

Second half City gradually took their best players off until eventually entirely conceding the initiative and losing 2-1.

There's a match report already which Manwell will doubtless appreciate so I won't add to that.

Incidental relevancies?

Well anyone wondering why Nielsen isn't likely to feature in our first team anytime soon would have had more information tonight.

Apart from two excellent shot stops in the first half he was beaten in a one-versus one aerial clash with the impressive Felix Bastians and lost, the Forest wingers header rebounding clear of a post.

A scuffed clearance contributed to their equaliser and he then gave away Forest's winner with an inept punch which went straight to Forest number seven Mark Bryne who lofted it into the open goal with Neilsen stranded.

Between that Neilsen had been slow to make decisions, his kicking was awful and his general distribution ponderous and inaccurate.

Fryatt looked lively enough early on but missed a sitter when put through by Odhiambo because he delayed his shot when one on one with the Forest keeper and his tame effort was eventually blocked.

Thereafter he looked less and less involved and was finally taken off soon after making no effort whatsoever to win a pass to feet by Odhiambo.

The sooner he's sold the better.

Maybury was another experienced player to feature for City and he had a steady enough first half before slipping back into his now charactistic indifference. Whether the watching Craig Levein was there to see the Irishman I don't know but on this show he'd have wasted his petrol.

There were plus points. Andy King has been for a trial at York and has found it hard to hide his apparent disappointment at not being in the City picture much.

Today he was back - albeit too deep - in his normal midfield role and he hardly put a foot wrong, finding time and space in midfield as Leicester quite clearly won the territorial battle and making three blocks any one of which might well have prevented goals.

Levi Porter was one to benefit, carrying on where he left off at Palace by being at the heart of many of Leicester's best moves. His close control always allowed him to look up and pick out a man.

One to lose out with Fryatt/Sappleton being strikers was Odhiambo - pushed out to a right wing role where he coped admirably enough but was never the danger he is as a striker. The first touch football of King, Porter, Odhiambo was totally wasted on the ponderous play of people around them.

Sappleton's goal came by way of a Mattock dribble which resulted in a tame shot which rebounded out of Shane Redmond's hands to the waiting Sappleton who smashed the loose ball into the net. He didn't do a lot more and was likened to Trevor Benjamin which seemed fair enough.

If I'd been a scout at the match the players I would have noted - apart from King and Porter - would have been Forest's left winger Felix Bastians who looked way over six feet, posed a danger in the air and had a vicious shot on him.

Number nine Emile Sinclair looked like Elvis with finesse as Forest's main striker and number seven Mark Bryne - even with his bandaged arm - was capable of such controlled shooting he was always a danger from anywhere inside 30 yards.

I'll give full player ratings in another thread but it was not a night City could be proud of. Someone the senior players always seem to ruin the rhythm of the youngsters and Beaglehole looked less animated than I've ever seen him on the sidelines. It didn't look like one of his all-out attacking teams at all.

Nielsen 1 - This was the worst goalkeeping performance i have ever seen. Truely an awful, awful display from the new signing that ultimately cost us the game. He's slow, cumbersome, can't kick, can't punch, can't catch and is our 4th choice keeper, hell actually i'd rather have Stowell, Douglas or any of the academy lads. I'll just pick out a couple of shocking moments. In the first half he came out and flapped at a very delicate little cross, missed it, and it fell on the head of a striker who just hit the post. In the second half for the first Forest goal he scuffed his kick for the umpteenth time which fell to a forest attacker, this lead to a goal mouth scramble which ended in a goal. Then for the forest winner, he came out for a cross, scuffed a weak little punch straight to the feet of a striker who neatly looped it back over him and into the goal. I could go on, you really had to see it to believe it. Shocking display.

Maybury 6 - did o.k, but yet again proved he's a very limited player. Whenever he did attempt to attack his crossing was woeful.

Stearman 5 - unconvincing display at centre back, he had a torrid time against a very pacey forest strikeforce. Dwelt on the ball a couple of times, had it knicked off him and could have led to a goal.

Rowe-Turner 5 - He's a left back really, but was asked to play centre back today. He won't be delighted with his performance, very shakey, indecisive, leakey.

Mattock 7.5 - He played well tonight, solid defensively, and pushed forward on numerous occasions. Played a telling contribution for the goal by running at the right back, cutting back inside and putting in a cross. The cross was poor, but it bounced off the keepers chest and fell to Sappleton to fire in from 8yards.

Porter 6 - Didn't really do all that much, whenever he got the ball he'd stop and play it back inside. I'd love the lad to run at the right back and take him on, but he just doesn't!

Hellings 7.5 - He's got a nice touch and great vision, but you'd expect that from a product of the Ajax academy. Played a couple of lovely coss field balls, one of which for the goal. The ball was out on the right hand side, then it can towards Hellings in the centre and hit a nice ball out wide to mattock first time and the goal came. the touble is he doesn't have that physical presence to really make the middle his own.

king 6 - Didn't get involved all that much tonight, Hellings out did him for me. I really wanted him to spring into action and take the game by the scruff, but he just seem to let the game pass by.

Odhiambo 6 - Didn't do much either, never really ran with the ball or took on the oppo.

Fryatt 6 - During the first half he did show glimpses of his quality, but really it was a frustrating and quiet game for the lad. Early on he was played clean through one on one with the keeper, but he dwelt for too long letting the defender back in too block the shot.

Sappleton 7 - Got the goal, and showed some nice link up, but his touch goes missing at times which given the size of those legs you could probably forgive him for that. The ref seemed to hate him

Ref 1 - He spoilt the game with his fussy decisions. Seemed to dislike any physical contact whatsoever, kept blowing his whistle instead of letting the game flow. He's a slaphead, but that's about at close as he's get to the great Collina.

I don't know who was in charge of the team tonight, but whoever it was is a muppet in my eyes. His instructions from the sidelines were crap, and his tactial decision to move to 4-3-3 at the start of the second half is also responsible for the defeat. As soon as we went three up front, it left loads of space in the midfield for Forest to take the initiative and stay on the attack. The fact that he stuck with three up top when it clearly was working against us was just ridiculas. Where do they find these idiots.

It was a pretty even game for the most part, Forest did seem to dominate large parts of the second half, which in my eyes was due to the tactical switch to 4-3-3. Ultimately though, Nielsen cost us the game.

Beaglehole looked less animated than I've ever seen him on the sidelines. It didn't look like one of his all-out attacking teams at all.

That's the thing, are you sure it was Beaglehole in charge tonight? If it was he's clearly been corupted by the management.

Another Thracian post where the kids did fantastically well and the young players were also let down by the idiots playing around them lol. It just doesnt end does it??!!

The positive from what I read on the OS is despite them hitting the woodwork, we were beating them before we started bring on the subs. Regardless of the scoreline, its great to have a reserve team in place so we can see who is competing well. Its all nice to hear that Hellings had a decent game by the sounds of it?

A disappointing game all around for me, with nothing too serious at stake, except local rivalry and the pride of winning I expect to be entertained and i wasn't, it certainly wasn't worth the £1 parking and £1 entrance fee ;) , fortunately I got to meet KilworthFox :thumbup: and blagged a pint off of Thracian :clap: .

Like JonblueFox9 if Neilson every dons a first team shirt i'll be amazed, I've seen him 3/4 times now against average opposition and he looks so uncomfortable, in fact like this is his first time in goal. I'm also inclined to say I can't see Sappleton bagging a 1st team shirt either, I know he scored but his general football skills like first touch and timing of his headers are way off standard.

Maybury showed what he's capable of in the first half but for the second he was just not there.

Stearman playing CB was awful first half but got better as Maybury got worse.

Rowe-Turner was steady but not particularly impressive whilst Mattock was hot & cold some good forward play but some weak passing which seem to affect most of the team.

Hellings & King were pretty solid the first half but disappeared later as Forest took control

Odhiambo & Porter did there best to inject some pace and liveliness into the game but Fryatt was just not up to it, sharing his Du Du Du song with fecking useless is starting to ring true.

Beswick came on and for some reason spent most of his time sharing the right side with 2 other players leaving Mattock exposed, McKay got very little in the way of service.

All in all piss poor but I guess with a mixed bag of fringe first teamers and ex academy players that have never played together things can hopefully only improve.

Another Thracian post where the kids did fantastically well and the young players were also let down by the idiots playing around them lol. It just doesnt end does it??!!

The positive from what I read on the OS is despite them hitting the woodwork, we were beating them before we started bring on the subs. Regardless of the scoreline, its great to have a reserve team in place so we can see who is competing well. Its all nice to hear that Hellings had a decent game by the sounds of it?

I haven't read the OS report but I've never yet known them to be critical of anyone.

Your predictable cynicism cannot hide the fact that I didn't think anyone was fantastic - and there were several young players, Stearman, Sappleton, Fryatt, Odhiambo, Beswick, Rowe-Turner who are mentioned in my ratings as having average or below-average games.

However if you can find people who went who disagree with my assessment of the senior players by all means believe them, or believe the OS. It doesn't bother me at all.

I haven't read the OS report but I've never yet known them to be critical of anyone.

If you can find people who went who disagree with my assessment believe them, or believe the OS. It doesn't bother me one bit.

lol

So far two others have put ratings up and King got 6s whilst you gave him an 8. Its just so funny it hurts!!! lol

oddly enough, from these few reports, it sounds like the sort of performance/result/chaos the first team were producing last year?

shows why it is so important to have the reserves.

lol

So far two others have put ratings up and King got 6s whilst you gave him an 8. Its just so funny it hurts!!! lol

Yes, I rated King slightly higher than Porter because his three last ditch blocks almost certainly saved at least one goal. Aparty from a could of inaccurate headers early in the first half it was hard to remember him failing to find his man with any of his passes. Furthermore his passes were always so quick that they gave the receiver time on the ball.

PS: King also got an 8.5 from one poster. :whistle:

Yes, I rated King slightly higher than Porter because his three last ditch blocks almost certainly saved at least one goal. Aparty from a could of inaccurate headers early in the first half it was hard to remember him failing to find his man with any of his passes. Furthermore his passes were always so quick that they gave the receiver time on the ball.

PS: King also got an 8.5 from one poster. :whistle:

Yeah i just saw that. Someone who made his first post on the forum few seconds after I said that only two others have posted with 6s. If I was cynical mate I`d suggest that it was one of your sons or maybe a duplicate account???!! Strange how he just appeared from nowhere, like magic lol

Anyway, I wasn't at the game so cant rate players but it would be nice to actually see an unbiased account from you that doesn't favour the kids all the time. I hold my held my hands uo and gave Levi a good rating when coming off from the bench despite me thinking he isn't our solution on the left but admitted he deserves to start against Watford on that performance. I also said that MDV shouldbt be in the team but gave him a good rating for his performance against Blackpool. rate them on performance not personal preference is what I am saying!

Archived