Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lineker's Left Foot

Songs borrowing others

It frustrates me, but what songs sneakily borrow from others:-

To me

Coldplay's Clocks is sang in the same manner of Erasure's Breath Of Life

Elastica's Waking Up uses a lot of No More Heroes by The Stranglers

yeah, and if i remember they got done for it...

the funniest one is the oasis song (don't look back in anger????) that is a complete rip of 'streets of london' by ralph mctell...

it's everywhere, i wouldn't let it frustrate you....

And Greg Lake borrows from a classical piece in his Xmas hit. Also there was a hit in the early seventies that was a good copy of one of the suites from the Planets by Gustolv Holst.

Nowadays it is called sampling. Nothing wrong with it if it is done well and is 'original' Status Quo have been copying themselves for years and they still rock. :D

It frustrates me, but what songs sneakily borrow from others:-

And me!

I find it really annoying. I am sure there is a bit in Bohemian Rhapsody that sounds like the theme from Teletubbies.

It's about time someone invented some more notes so this doesn't happen anymore. :|

That was so blatent they even had to give a songwriting credit to Wire. I can't think of a better example than that.

that's probably the one i was think ing of....

kent - do you listen to art tatum - plenty of notes available :o

There's been a few.

The Verve ripped off the Stones (and were forced to pay royalties) on Bittersweet Symphony, and Gabrielle did the same to Tracy Chapman and later Bob Dylan.

Even the Smiths (:o) lifted a couple of riffs from early 70s glam rock.

Now it's getting out of hand, though. Look how many chart entries rely on samples or covers of previous hits.

I listen to Planet Rock a lot they play a lot of the music I like which is basically err rock. Anyway today they were featuring an albunn by Metalica which because of its colour was known as the Black albumn. One track they played was a ballad and the presenter said the beginnig intro had been borrowed from one of the spagetti westerns.

All I know about music is the basics. Notes A -G with some sharps and flats thrown in. Mix a few up and you have a tune. At some point the same combination must come out.

I've not listened to chart music for ages only when I'm in shops or other places where it is piped. Can't say I'm that impressed I'm sure there are plent of good bands out there that rely on musicians that can actually play instruments. Sampling and covers are overdone. If it is done well it can compliment the original.

There will always be young people wanting to make it in the music world and the choice and influences is vast now.

Over the past 50 years since 'the 'pop' culture started there have been hundreds of styles.

There's been a few.

The Verve ripped off the Stones (and were forced to pay royalties) on Bittersweet Symphony, and Gabrielle did the same to Tracy Chapman and later Bob Dylan.

Even the Smiths (:o) lifted a couple of riffs from early 70s glam rock.

Now it's getting out of hand, though. Look how many chart entries rely on samples or covers of previous hits.

Her latest single is based on a Paul Weller number, and he's on backing vocals.

Archived