Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

#5 Finnegan Fach.

FINNEGAN'S FOXESTALK CD SWAP CLICK HERE.

Right, sticking this up late tonight so people have the whole weekend to catch up with what's what (and sort of because I'm a little impatient, such a child.)

Most of the music so far has been either fairly lighter stuff or a little bit wanky and pretentious (not that that's necessarily a bad thing!) so I left out the more experimental or alternative stuff and went for crude, obnoxious and simple. A slightly different tone to most of the stuff so far I suppose, it's mostly boisterous guitar rock with the exception of track 5 that's just cool.

To get them to play in order, open the playlist file (the one that isn't a song) in the folder, it's WinAmp but I tested it on Windows Media Player and that worked too. Anyone too thick to work it out I'll PM or MSN them a track listing if you're that bothered. Oh, and my apologies to anyone who's heard this stuff before because either. A. They just have or B. I've tried to make you like it on other occasions (Fez.)

Well i didn't have any playlist file in with the songs and when i put them in iTunes they duplicated. Anywhere here's the order they came in.

1. Invader Ace - The D4

Reminded me of 8 Ace, the cheap northern lager. I now fancy a pint. But im the designated driver for tonight. So this only served to annoy me. Otherwise werent as shit as id assumed. Repetive as fook though. 6/10

2. Freeze Sucker - The Datsuns.

Apparently this ****er stole my hair. I like The Datsuns, especially 'Harmonic Generator'. I like this song. Will stay in my library. Is about 2 minutes too long though. 7/10

3. Rise Or Fall - BRMC

Never been a fan of BRMC. Nowt special. 6/10

4. Summertime Blues - Guitar Wolf

fook knows why but i enjoyed this immensely. And thier from Harajuku. Brilliant. 9/10

5. Jukebox Lean - New Bomb Turks

Myself i prefer a gangster lean. This weren't THAT bad though. 7/10

6. Shut The Funk Up - Backyard Babies

I have to admit that i've seen BB live. I own Stockholm Syndrome on CD somewhere and i no for a fact it doesn't have this track on it. Not bad though. Big fan of 'Friends'. 8/10

7. Brutus - Gluecifer

More subdued than i expected compared with the graphics from your sig. Pants though. And camp as fook. 5/10

8. By The Grace Of God - The Hellacopters

Shit name, Shit Marilyn Manson-esque lyrics. Would rather listen to Rasmus. Thank fook they've broken up now. 4/10

9. Cora Style - Teddybears Sthlm

Thats better. MUCH MUCH BETTER. Will stay in the library aswell. 8/10

10. Ride With Us - Turbonegro

Skipped because i hate the name, and it offends the shit outta my ears. 0/10

11. Garden's Tale - Volbeat

AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. 0/10

Album Highlight - Backyard Babies, Teddybears and The Datsuns

Album Lowlight - Most of the rest.

Overall - A good Tony Hawks game soundtrack. Not my bag but it weren't as shit as i assumed either so its a half a thumb up from me. Some of that was truly dreadful though. 5.5/10

Skipped because i hate the name, and it offends the shit outta my ears. 0/10

You're such a flower it's unbelievable. ;)

Oh. And how could you not find the playlist file? Can someone computer literate tell me if that's the case, because it's definitely in mine, I even downloaded it to check. It should have the same name as the folder, being 'thisonegoesupto11.'

& the Hellacopters? Marilyn Mansonesque lyrics? :dunno:

"Hey girl,

you'll land it.

You've got supplies

if they demand it.

You've got the looks,

and the glamour,

Cut by the chisel

and beat by the hammer."

You're such a flower it's unbelievable. ;)

Oh. And how could you not find the playlist file? Can someone computer literate tell me if that's the case, because it's definitely in mine, I even downloaded it to check. It should have the same name as the folder, being 'thisonegoesupto11.'

& the Hellacopters? Marilyn Mansonesque lyrics? :dunno:

"Hey girl,

you'll land it.

You've got supplies

if they demand it.

You've got the looks,

and the glamour,

Cut by the chisel

and beat by the hammer."

1. I just dislike Turonegro. Shit name, shit band, shit make up.

2. I found the file but it wasnt a word doc it was a m3u file that opened in WMP.

3. Not the lyrics, his voice sounded like Manson when he tries to sing. Truly shite.

EDIT: I did put lyrics, i meant his singing voice. Sowy.

Of course it opened in WMP, that's the point. It's a playlist file. It does all the hard work for you, you just doubleclick it and it plays. :doh:

And what? The Hellacopters sound like Marilyn Manson!? :blink: Like. I don't mind criticism, truthfully I wasn't expecting you to like much of it - but did you even listen? Or... do you just not know who Marilyn Manson is?

Of course it opened in WMP, that's the point. It's a playlist file. It does all the hard work for you, you just doubleclick it and it plays. :doh:

And what? The Hellacopters sound like Marilyn Manson!? :blink: Like. I don't mind criticism, truthfully I wasn't expecting you to like much of it - but did you even listen? Or... do you just not know who Marilyn Manson is?

I may mean Shirley Manson ...

No obviously i don't mean her. I don't know what i meant before. He's got a noncy voice either way. And the song is still codswallop. So there.

I generally get the impression you're trying to be abusive here for controversy's sakes, but, yes, I get the idea it wasn't to your tastes.

I generally get the impression you're trying to be abusive here for controversy's sakes, but, yes, I get the idea it wasn't to your tastes.

Not so much, im trying to point out similarities in his voice to someone who i thought was Marilyn Manson but i don't think is anymore. Ill have another think and come back to you.

Volbeat - Garden's Tale

This reminds me of the Muse track Invincible. The chorus is incredibly similar. Presume this came first though. I think they might want to get their lawyers onto Matt Bellamy's case. Suffice to say, not a fan of this at all. I can't decide whether it sounds like something from a Tony Hawk's soundtrack or a "hilarious" Finnish entry to Eurovision. Also, it appears to last about five days. 3/10

Turbonegro - Ride With Us

Great intro. I like the power involved in this. I bet they are absolutely corking live. 8/10

Teddybears Sthlm - Cobrastyle

Another brilliant intro. ARGH THE VOICE IS FANTASTIC! It's a bit like Skindred. I nearly put Set It Off by Skindred on my compilation. This is actually amazing. I absolutely love it. I love the organ (is it?) in the background, I love the voice, I love the beat, I love the riff. I will listen to this lots and lots and probably try to get into this band if it all sounds like this. I'm all about the eclecticism and this ticks so many different boxes for me. Thank you. 10/10

The Hellacopters - By The Grace Of God

I like these. I bought a metal/heavy rock compilation in the late 90s/early 00s and these were on it, Turbonegro were on it, New Bomb Turks were on it, Gluecifer were on it, Backyard Babies were on it I think, and a great song called Bounce by a band called Danko Jones which I lost when my old computer crashed and I have never replaced. Anyway yes I like this. Love the guitar solo. Millencolin were also on that compilation, they would be at home on this mixtape. 8/10

Gluecifer - Brutus

Driving music but in a good way, I like this too. I was worried when I heard the first track but everything since has been good. 7/10

Backyard Babies - Shut The Fuck Up

Again it's alright. Similar sort of thing again though and I'm not a fan of his voice. I don't like that Americanised vocal that a lot of Scandinavian bands have (I think these are from Sweden...???) 6/10

New Bomb Turks - Juicebox Lean

I'll leave the title wrong because I'm still a bit drunk from last night and I keep doing silly things that are amusing various people (including asking the takeaway pizza man "what cheap is it?" instead of an actual recognised and widely-known question that made sense - and refusing to leave the dancefloor at the wedding I went to last night until they played Rock The Boat and everyone sat down and did the actions. I left disappointed) 6/10

Guitar Wolf - Summertime Blues

I'm in fear of reviewing this because I know Finnegan will have a furious wank all over my head if I don't like it. Or maybe that's if I do like it. I'm not sure. I remember not liking Jet Generation. I like this though. The guitars sound fantastic. It's better than the Ordinary Boys' version, put it that way. In fact this might go on my summer driving CD (or one of the 86 I will make anyway) along with whatever I said was good driving music earlier. 8/10

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Rise Or Fall

As a general rule, I love BRMC. This sounds a lot more like their most recent album than anything else they did before (if that makes sense) which is a good thing. Berlin off Baby 81 is the best song they've ever done and this sounds similar to that. I think I might still be a little bit drunk. 9/10

The Datsuns - Freeze Sucker

I like The Datsuns. This is the best song they've ever done. 9/10

The D4 - Invader Ace

This lot were on that bloody CD too. I will have to find that. They did that song that was on that advert didn't they? Something about leaving the city or whatever. This is good. 7/10

Finners squire, fantastic stuff. Really enjoyed this which surprised me, I thought it would be a bit samey but it was actually something a bit special.

Teddybears Sthlm - Cobrastyle

Another brilliant intro. ARGH THE VOICE IS FANTASTIC! It's a bit like Skindred. I nearly put Set It Off by Skindred on my compilation. This is actually amazing. I absolutely love it. I love the organ (is it?) in the background, I love the voice, I love the beat, I love the riff. I will listen to this lots and lots and probably try to get into this band if it all sounds like this. I'm all about the eclecticism and this ticks so many different boxes for me. Thank you. 10/10

Backyard Babies - Shut The Fuck Up

Again it's alright. Similar sort of thing again though and I'm not a fan of his voice. I don't like that Americanised vocal that a lot of Scandinavian bands have (I think these are from Sweden...???) 6/10

Yeah I'm not a fan of any band that really betrays their own culture for the sakes of selling records, there's a Japanese band called Ellegarden I put on the last mix that I love but they're a bit too glossy, they've perfected their Yankee accents and it does annoy me a little than the Backyard Babies (along, really, with the Hellacopters and Gluecifer) do the same. That's what I like about that Volbeat song, they're a band I don't really like but they've got an actual Danish vocalist in and I just think his vocals sound really good in that song. It's refreshing to hear Danish.

As for Teddybears STHLM, it's just the music that's the Teddybears. Which is heartbreaking, really. The rapper is a guy called Mad Cobra you might want to check out. Personally I'm not a massive fan of his, the Teddybears do loads of different music in loads of different styles - this is from a record they did, I think, with a bunch of different hip hop artists. There's another great song called Hey Boy I was going to put on as well with a guy called Swing Fly I think, but I didn't want to put on two songs by the same artist (hence putting D4's cover of Guitar's Wolf Invader Ace instead of the original.) It's a bit slower, but it's still quite good fun.

Cobrastyle's one of my favourite songs in general, though. It's just so much fun to get pissed and try to dance to. :thumbup:

D4

I slag Indie for being formulaic - but if you lock a fast RPM in a room with some rock, chorus and overdrive effects pedals I end up getting smitten; 'driving out of the car park, it's sunny and you have the weekend to go play' music. This would be really shit on a Monday morning.

Datsuns

I want to hit the vocalist with his Datsun.

BRMC

I adore this band. I shouldn't because they are to JAMC what Oasis are to the Beatles...and I hate Oasis. I had a BRMC disk I used to play in CCS when we were driving into the city for nights out. The sound now reminds me of big raw steaks the size of a house and chips covered in blood and blue cheese sauce. Mmmmmm.....

Guitar Wolf

Hate the song. Hate the original. Hate the covers. This is no different. Hate it.

New Bomb Turks

Another vocal that makes me squirm.

Backyard Babies

I used to play Total13 to death and have just realised that it hasn't been played for years. This really isn't a very good song but the immature punk that (all too evidently) still lurks within me is forcing me to jump around singing the chorus. This is a song I will play in the car. The wife will stare at me. She will tut, raise her eyes, mutter something withering under her breath and then play the parent card to make me take it off.

But Ha! She goes to work on Tuesday. What she going to do then to stop me, huh? Nothing, that's what. Yea - shut the **** up woman, you're not the boss of m....yes dear. Sorry. Yes, it was very irresponsible. Sorry.

Gluecifier

This is going on in the car too :D I love the bending notes.

Hellacopters

And this. I really am a sucker for chantalong punchy guitar songs. There's a part of me that is very shallow. It's a large part. And I'm big so that's a lot of shallowness.

Teddybears

No.

This is a too Apache Indian for my liking.

Turbonegro

Ref: anything I have said about punchy guitars/chantalong/effects pedals/upsetting the wife :cool:

Volbeat

Spanky Dave does not like this. Spanky Dave does not like the vocalist.

Aye, I'm noticing a pattern with Volbeat which doesn't surprise me at all. The rest has a fair degree of 'edge' that that's just missing.

Crude, immature, loud and upbeat was the aim though so I'm glad you seemed to have fun with it. God I love Brutus for letting off a bit of steam, songs like that and... well... pretty much the complete works of BRMC (best driving band ever?) really make me wish I'd passed my test.

Aye, I'm noticing a pattern with Volbeat which doesn't surprise me at all. The rest has a fair degree of 'edge' that that's just missing.

Crude, immature, loud and upbeat was the aim though so I'm glad you seemed to have fun with it. God I love Brutus for letting off a bit of steam, songs like that and... well... pretty much the complete works of BRMC (best driving band ever?) really make me wish I'd passed my test.

No.

The greatest driving song ever is A Flock Of Seagulls - I Ran.

Yes, you are right, I wouldn't have believed it either...but Esther Ranzen carried out a survey on behalf of Childline and this was one of the surprising results.

I say 'one of' because it also uncovered the scary fact that people actually believed The Arctic Monkeys were more than a talentless bunch of one dimensional tossers and would still be getting air-time three years after their 'hit'.

Just shows how much reliance you can place in surveys I guess.

I'm telling you, this mix plays so much better loudly on a Monday morning than quietly on a Sunday night.

"What's that The Wife?....Too loud?....err yes, ok....Yes, that was a swear word......yes, not very clever at all...No...."

I tell you - no one tells Spanky Dave what to do the stupid, dumb bloo....

"I said SORRY woman, what more do y.." *slap*

"Ow!"

Rocking out really hurts.

I'm telling you, this mix plays so much better loudly on a Monday morning than quietly on a Sunday night.

"What's that The Wife?....Too loud?....err yes, ok....Yes, that was a swear word......yes, not very clever at all...No...."

I tell you - no one tells Spanky Dave what to do the stupid, dumb bloo....

"I said SORRY woman, what more do y.." *slap*

"Ow!"

Rocking out really hurts.

Yeah. You can't really listen to Turbonegro or Gluecifer quietly. There's no real point. It's like wanking and not cumming.

Right before I begin, this probably isn't the normal stuff I listen to. But I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised :)

1. The D4- Invader Ace

Well Finners I'm impressed by this first track, slightly repetitive but great start. 7.5/10

2. The Datsuns- Freeze Sucker

Well I don't normally "do" long songs and although this was also a bit repetitive I liked it a lot, I'd listen again. 7/10

3. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club- Rise Or Fall

Well I'd never really listened to any BRMC before and this would encourage me to listen to more. Nothing too special but I quite liked it. 6/10

4. Guitar Wolf- Summertime Blues

Fairly short and sweet one this, not bad at all. Liked the guitar solo in it too. 6/10

5. New Bomb Turks- Jukebox Learn

Nahh this one just didn't do it for me to be honest. Could have been a lot worse but not quite as good as any of the other tracks on this CD you've put together. 5/10

6. Backyard Babies- Shut The fook Up

Hmmm pretty decent this Finners, there's just something about it though that really doesn't make me love it. But love that little guitar solo :cool: 7/10

7. Gluecifer- Brutus

Ahh no, didn't particularly take a liking to this one unfortunately. Can't quite put my finger on what I don't like about this one, I think the singer slightly annoys me. 5/10

8. The Hellacopters- By The Grace Of God

Back to the better songs now, I quite liked this one as well. Different to the other tracks on the CD, less mosh-able which was good for a bit of variety on here. Good stuff 7.5/10

9. Teddybears Sthlm- Cobrastyle

This track started and I thought, "what the **** is this?" just because it was totally different to everything else but as it went on I really enjoyed it, one of the best tracks on here. 8/10

10. Turbonegro- Ride With Us

Hmmm not sure about this one, not great if I'm honest. The general singing pattern in here is virtually non-existent and it just ruins it really for me. Not one I'd listen to again, coming out of the library I think, sorry Finners! 3/10

11. Volbeat- Garden's Tale

No, no, no, not good! Ahh dear poor last track to end a good playlist on. This is just a poor song in my opinion, didn't like it at all. 2/10

I said I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised, and being honest I was. This is a very decent CD here Finners, and if you ever try and force anything like this upon me I may be inclined to accept it. Probably won't go out of my way to download more of this sort of stuff but this was a refreshing change to what I normally listen to. Definitely a good few tracks to keep in the itunes library here.

1. Turbonegro- Ride With Us

Disliked the vocals but musically the 2nd half was excellent. Just that hollow woodwindy sound that's a bit unusual did it for me. First listen I had it down as a three but I'll go with 7/10 on repeating it.

2. The Hellacopters- By The Grace Of God

I thought "generic thrasher" about halfway through but it grew on me. 6.5/10.

3. Gluecifer- Brutus

Similar to above but the singer's pronunciation of "on" loses a point :D. 5.5/10.

4. Guitar Wolf- Summertime Blues

Liked this from the very start, made me grin. 7.5/10.

5. Teddybears Sthlm- Cobrastyle

Meh. 4.5/10.

6. New Bomb Turks- Jukebox Learn

Alright. 5.5/10

7. Backyard Babies- Shut The fook Up

Alright. Doesn't do much. Caught myself almost giving it decent marks but I wouldn't listen to it again so that's a bit silly really. 3/10.

8. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club- Rise Or Fall

Better build, nice bassline. First thing I've properly liked rather than theoretically not objecting to it, know how I mean?

8.5/10.

9. Volbeat- Garden's Tale

Thats just cruel. "That guitar's not ba-WHAT THE fook IS THAT VOICE?". Oh dear. And then the horrific voice skitters along on a really generic guitar line. Really really hate this quite passionately. 0/10.

10. The Datsuns- Freeze Sucker

Start reminds me of a Muse B-side that nearly made my playlist - dunno if anyone knows "The Groove". They're not THAT similar at all really, just made me think of it. Liking this so far 2 minutes in. Builds tension nicely for a bit. Screaming is more frank black frayed voice than heavy shit. Good work. 7/10. Wait it's finishing off nicely. 7.5.

11. The D4- Invader Ace

Good. 7.5/10

Not too bad. I should dislike this more than I did but I found myself a bit suprised. Just a general tend for the fuzzy and over-elaborate put me off a lot of these.

1. Turbonegro- Ride With Us

Disliked the vocals but musically the 2nd half was excellent. Just that hollow woodwindy sound that's a bit unusual did it for me. First listen I had it down as a three but I'll go with 7/10 on repeating it.

Someone listened to it in order. :wub:

Yeah, I love the outro on that. It wasn't instantly my favourite Turbonegro song, I had Fuck The World ready to go but couldn't resist slapping that up for the instrumental. Oddly, reminds me of Shameless. Like you say, I think it's the woodwind.

MY official opinion is a great mix :thumbup:

even some of the songs I am not keen on I can still listen to!! although Volbeat goes abit to cheese metal for my liking

and as for Turbonegro!!!

Scandinavian Leather is a favourite album of mine and has to be turned up very loud to appreciate it

1. Invader Ace - The D4

Wouldn't listen out of choice but it was ok 5/10

2. Freeze Sucker - The Datsuns.

His voice annoyed me a bit and that was after 2 minutes, so the last 4 minutes were a bit painful! 3/10

3. Rise Or Fall - BRMC

This was ok, not a fan of the vocals again though but a nice riff 5/10

4. Summertime Blues - Guitar Wolf

Really liked this one! 9/10

5. Jukebox Lean - New Bomb Turks

Not keen 2/10

6.7.8. Backyard Babies, Gluecifer, The Hellacopters

Didn't like any of these 3/10

9. Cora Style - Teddybears Sthlm

0/10

Not too bad but much like some of the previous songs, nice outro 5/10.

11. Garden's Tale - Volbeat

Hmm, not sure about the singing either, and it actually sounds like a cheesy Eurovision song at times! Drums were good. 4/10

Overall 4/10, wasn't really my thing alot of the bands just after half way minus the teddybears were very similar as well so nothing really stood out.

Archived