Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

#8 JTB - Eargasm

Right here goes. Sorry it's a bit late.

1. Ike Turner and The Kings of Rhythm

First thoughts, Jurassic Five- Concrete Streets. Obviously they must have nicked it from this song here. Anyway as for the song I quite liked it, short and sweet but it's most definitely got souuulll. :cool: 6.5/10

2. The Roots- The Seed 2.0

Loved it, fantastic, I can see why Ched loved you for introducing this one to us all. Definitely one I'd like to listen to again, I enjoyed it a lot. 9/10

3. Foreign Beggars- Just Spittin'

Yeah this wasn't bad at all. I sometimes get urges to listen to stuff like this so it shall stay in the library. 6/10

4. Lowkey- Lies

Same sort of thing to the last track it was decent, but nothing special. Still, worth a listen every now and again I suppose. Hoping to hear some different genres in the upcoming tracks though. 6/10

5. Fat Freddy's Drop- Flashback

Yeah nice to hear something a little bit different to the rest, was a welcome change. A little long and at times a bit too samey but it wasn't too bad. I liked the saxophones in it as well. 5.5/10

6. Buena Vista Social Club- Chan Chan

I am partial to a bit of Del Mundo style music such as this sometimes. But this didn't really do it for me unfortunately, I just didn't particularly enjoy it as much as others on here so far. 5/10

7. Lee "Scratch" Perry- Inspector Gadget 2004

No, didn't like this at all to be honest. Just thought it was all a bit strange :ermm: 3/10

8. Freestylers- Dogs and Sledges

Hmm this one just didn't keep my attention unfortunately. 4/10

9. Simian Mobile Disco- Hustler

Yes, this one was much better, I enjoyed it a lot. Definitely need to look into more Simian Mobile Disco and I will do after this. 8/10

10. Ratpack- Searchin' For My Rizla

Not allowed to listen to it! License bollocks...

11. Breakbeat Era- Breakbeat Era

Great bit of bass going through this track. I like it a lot actually, the whole track in general built up very well and just gradually got better. I thought the length of this track may have put me off a bit but it didn't purely because there were so many different parts to it. 7.5/10

12. Absolute Zero & Subphonics- The Code

I do like a bit of drum and bass every now and again so this was something that appealed to me. An impressive track, I enjoyed it. 7/10

13. Burial- Endorphin

Erm... I just can't make anything of this to be honest. I don't even think I can call it a song! :ermm: N/a

14. Lamb- Here

A bit too samey, but surprisingly decent actually. Probably not something I'll specifically pick to listen to again but it may get another listen if it comes round on shuffle eventually. 5.5/10

15. Omnium- Extua Textua

Not bad but a little too long for what it is. Not something that got me excited particularly. 5/10

16. Youngblood Brass Band- Round One

Yes, this was great, just a good fun track. I generally like instrumental songs such as this and this was no exception. 8/10

17. Hot 8 Brass Band- Sexual Healing

This just follows on from the last track really, another great one. 7.5/10

18. Ray Charles- Hallelujah I Love Her So

I've only heard a handful of Ray Charles songs before this but this one here is probably my favourite out of them all. I think you've put together these last three tracks particularly well as they all seem to follow onto each other. Good stuff. 7/10

19. Brothers In Sound- Lauryn Hill

This one just didn't keep my attention unfortunately. 4/10

20. Ali Farka Touré & Toumani Diabeté- Soumbo Ya Ya

This one's got my name written all over it, I love acoustic instrumentals such as this. Playing the guitar myself this sort of thing always gets my appreciation so I enjoyed this track. 8/10

21. Pink FLoyd- Wish You Were Here

Before this begins- I don't like Pink Floyd. But we'll see if you can change my mind. Well I must say I'm pleasantly surprised, I actually like this track a lot. Always like the acoustic stuff so it won me over easily this one. 7.5/10

Well JTB, thankyou for this, it's comfortably my favourite compilation of the lot. Definitely a good few tracks I'll take away from this and listen to again.

JTB's reasons for his tracks:

1. Ike Turner & The Kings of Rhythm - Getting Nasty

Sampled on one of my favourite hip hop tunes of all time, Jurassic 5 - Concrete Schoolyard, I wanted everyone to know where the original came from and just it is. This made for an excellent introduction and would hopefully get people in the mood for what was to come.

2. The Roots - The Seed 2.0

The Roots are my favourite hip hop outfit. Their album Things Fall Apart is one of the best albums I have heard in any genre. This was taken off Phrenology and is a very accessible track that would hopefully prompt a few people to delve further into their music. It followed well from the opener and I love the voice of Cody Chessnut.

3. Foreign Beggars - Just Spittin

Difficult to find anyone who can better the production skills of Foreign Beggars in terms of UK hip hop currently. Although their lyrics border on the clichéd at times it is the beat and the samples they use which I love. This was taken off their album, Asylum Speakers.

4. Lowkey - Lies

Not particularly well known although he is quite popular amongst the so-called "underground". I can take or leave quite a bit of his stuff but the quicker beat and catchy chorus made this the stand out track on his album, Return of the Game Vol. 2.

5. Fat Freddy's Drop - Flashback

I feel these are a proper word of mouth band. I had never heard of them before a mate introduced me after a mate of his had introduced him. This is supreme chill out music with dub, reggae, soul and jazz influences. Unlikely to be the favourite track for everyone off their album, Based on a True Story, but it is mine.

6. Buena Vista Social Club - Chan Chan

I'm going to Cuba later this year and one of the most exciting things about it is the live music I will be graced with while I'm there. If any of it comes close to BVSC than I will be a very happy man. This is pure bliss and a slight change in direction from the earlier tracks.

7. Lee "Scratch" Perry - Inspector Gadget 2004

Definitely the weakest track on my compilation. I found it quite amusing although I know if I'm listening to the album I will skip this one now! I do love Perry though and thanks to Jay and hairy I've been recommended some of his other stuff. I wanted some reggae on here and this seemed a good idea at the time.

8. Freestylers - Dogs and Sledges

From reggae to ragga this tune is an absolute stormer in a club. If you were having a party then the Freestylers album, Raw as F**k, would get EVERYONE dancing. Up for it, in your face, big bass, fun tunes. No pretentiousness. Just music for smiling to and dancing like an idiot.

9. Simian Mobile Disco - Hustler

Only discovered these recently but have been leaning more towards the electro sound for awhile. Some of it is hit and miss but this tune is quality. Again, one to be played loud. This was a further step up in tempo leading nicely towards the drum n bass to come.

10. The Ratpack - Searchin' for my Rizla

Old school rave at its finest. Brings back a lot of memories and nostalgia of times just about gone by. So much fun, just a shame no one could listen to it on this compilation!

11. Breakbeat Era - Breakbeat Era

I wanted to demonstrate a different angle to drum n bass. This is taken off their album Ultra Obscene (the production is actually by Roni Size amongst others). I love the funky bass line and the crisp beat, the vocals are interesting and it all fits together very nicely.

12. Absolute Zero & Subphonics - The Code (Future Cut remix)

I was into the darker side of drum n bass for quite some time and this was just a reflection of that. Nice, dark, dirty drum n bass. Has to be played loud or may as well not be played at all. I have plenty more where this came from.

13. Burial - Endorphin

This was a filler as much as anything to link the up-tempo tracks with a slower pace. I thought the juxtaposition with the drum n bass worked quite well. It was also an opportunity to showcase Burial who I found out about off here but have steadily got more and more into the more I listen.

14. Lamb - Here

I love Lamb. They are closest thing I've got to Portishead while maintaining their own distinct sound. Her voice is fantastic in my opinion and some of the soundscapes that are produced are immaculate. This is the first track of theirs that really grabbed me, the bongo's work really well. Listen to the album, Fear of Fours.

15. Omnium - Extra Textua

Wanted a touch of Ninja Tune in there as I love the label and found this on one of their compilations I own. Great beat, great bassline, nice and simple. Just acting as a reminder of the more up-tempo tracks but with a bit of funk to ease into the brass band section!

16. Youngblood Brass Band - Round One

Recommended by a friend. Still haven't listened to loads of their stuff but really enjoyed this track and as a former trumpet player this sort of sound holds a particular significance.

17. Hot 8 Brass Band - Sexual Healing

Made me smile. They have also done an amazing cover of Brown Paper Bag by Roni Size but I couldn't find that in time for this compilation. Some of it comes across a little coarse but it flowed well from the previous track and into Ray Charles.

18. Ray Charles - Hallelujah I Love Her So

Just because.

19. Brothers in Sound - Lauryn Hill

I knew not many people will have heard of these before but their album, Brothers in Sound, is very VERY good and I wanted to encourage people to listen to it by including this track. Really different sound but has hints of hip hop, rock, trip hop and psychedelic.

20. Ali Farka Touré & Toumani Diabeté - Soubou Ya Ya

Beautiful music. Simple.

21. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here.

My funeral song. One of few tracks that never fails to send a tingle up my spine. I have a lot of time for Pink Floyd, indeed alongside Radiohead they are one of very few guitar based bands I listen to. I could listen to this track forever and it seemed a fitting way to end my compilation.

6. Buena Vista Social Club - Chan Chan

I'm going to Cuba later this year and one of the most exciting things about it is the live music I will be graced with while I'm there. If any of it comes close to BVSC than I will be a very happy man. This is pure bliss and a slight change in direction from the earlier tracks.

You ought to start cramming in some salsa and meringue if you fancy going to some local clubs and meeting the locals :thumbup:

Jurassic 5 permeates through this mixes, entangled in most of them somewhere along the line.

Possibly in the running along with the likes of Hot Chip and the like to be one of the bands that most of us seem to really enjoy.

I never would have thought that when we started this whole thing.

Sorry to be a pain in the arse but is there any chance you could upload this again? :smile:

Really wanted to hear this but i missed the boat... :(:doh:

Sorry to be a pain in the arse but is there any chance you could upload this again? :smile:

I'll try and stick it back up tonight, just for you.

Seconded - I am, like, a slowpoke (excuse posted elsewhere)

• 1 month later...
I'll try and stick it back up tonight, just for you.

Err I guess I lied. Sorry.

I've lost the original playlist and can't be arsed to reconstruct it as the tracks were taken from various sources. If there's still interest I might make another one. In fact f**k it i'll make another anyway... will try and sort it this coming week.

Err I guess I lied. Sorry.

I've lost the original playlist and can't be arsed to reconstruct it as the tracks were taken from various sources. If there's still interest I might make another one. In fact f**k it i'll make another anyway... will try and sort it this coming week.

DO IT! :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived