Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

#8 JTB - Eargasm

JTB - FOXESTALK MEGA MIX

Bit early but I'll leave it for people to listen to as and when they please.

Like I just saw Fez say this isn't necessarily my 21 favourite tunes but a mix to reflect the diversity of both my own taste and the diversity within and around the genres I listen to.

Some of it is pure musical genius while some of it is just about putting a big grin on your face. Hopefully there's a little bit for everyone and more importantly that you all take at least one song from this collection and listen to it again.

It is important to listen to it in order, so here's the tracklisting:

1. Ike Turner & The Kings of Rhythm - Getting Nasty

2. The Roots - The Seed 2.0

3. Foreign Beggars - Just Spittin

4. Lowkey - Lies

5. Fat Freddy's Drop - Flashback

6. Buena Vista Social Club - Chan Chan

7. Lee "Scratch" Perry - Inspector Gadget 2004

8. Freestylers - Dogs and Sledges

9. Simian Mobile Disco - Hustler

10. The Ratpack - Searchin' for my Rizla

11. Breakbeat Era - Breakbeat Era

12. Absolute Zero & Subphonics - The Code (Future Cut remix)

13. Burial - Endorphin

14. Lamb - Here

15. Omnium - Extra Textua

16. Youngblood Brass Band - Round One

17. Hot 8 Brass Band - Sexual Healing

18. Ray Charles - Hallelujah I Love Her So

19. Brothers in Sound - Lauryn Hill

20. Ali Farka Touré & Toumani Diabeté - Soubou Ya Ya

21. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here.

Enjoy.

JTB - FOXESTALK MEGA MIX

Bit early but I'll leave it for people to listen to as and when they please.

Like I just saw Fez say this isn't necessarily my 21 favourite tunes but a mix to reflect the diversity of both my own taste and the diversity within and around the genres I listen to.

Some of it is pure musical genius while some of it is just about putting a big grin on your face. Hopefully there's a little bit for everyone and more importantly that you all take at least one song from this collection and listen to it again.

It is important to listen to it in order, so here's the tracklisting:

4. Lowkey - Lies

13. Burial - Endorphin

14. Lamb - Here

Enjoy.

LMAO!!!

OLD SKOOOOOL STYLEEE!!!

oh the memories....

this deserves a :)

looking forward to listening to this

Ike Turner & The Kings of Rhythm - Getting Nasty

Ha! It's the sample from Concrete Schoolyard!! I never knew where this was from (or more accurately it never occurred to me to find out). My god this is brilliant. 10/10

The Roots - The Seed (2.0)

Reminds me of the first year of uni, playing this loud and dancing around halls. Not sure I've ever met anyone who actively dislikes this song but I'm sure we'll uncover a heathen on here. :giggle: 10/10

Lowkey - Lies

Not usually a fan of songs that start with a rapper saying "yeah, yeah" but the latin beat is great. Don't like that accent, you hear it in provincial towns all over the country these days. Still, the actual track is refreshing. 8/10

Foreign Beggars - Just Spittin

Again a fantastic beat. Very Mr Scruff. This is exactly my taste but have never got round to getting more of their stuff. Have one track they did with Skinnyman which is absolutely amazing. Forget the title. Blank mind. ***Have gone back and searched for it, it's called Hold On and it's one of the best songs of all time.*** 10/10

Fat Freddys Drop - Flashback

Almost TOO laidback! lol Would have to be in the mood for this. I bet it sounds great in the right circumstances. 8/10

Lee "Scratch" Perry - Inspector Gadget 2004

The Inspector Gadget theme tune is popularly recognised as the best song of all time. I hold it up as an example to all musicians everywhere. I am being deadly serious. It is absolutely perfect. Not a big fan of this. Would prefer to listen to the actual Inspector Gadget theme tune obviously. 5/10

Buena Vista Social Club - Chan Chan

Just beautiful. Could never get sick of this. 10/10

Freestylers - Dogs and Sledges

Ha, this is bloody great. 9/10

Simian Mobile Disco - Hustler

The first time I heard this I thought it was spectacular. Played it to death. Still, is cracking. The first track on the album is brilliant too (Sleep Deprivation from memory) 9/10

Ratpack - Searchin' For My Rizla

"This computer is not authorised to play this track". Not ideal.

Burial - Endorphin

I really can't make my mind up about this album. Mainly because I flicked through it when I first bought it and haven't bothered with it since. Should probably give it another go. This is alright but I usually need a bit more going on (although I obviously realise that's not what dubstep is about). 6/10

Absolute Zero & Subphonics - The Code

This is going to be drum n bass isn't it? I love how you can tell from the artist and title with some genres. Bit repetitive (:whistle:) 6/10

Breakbeat Era - Breakbeat Era

And we appear to be back in my territory from the first few seconds of this little number. I must admit I've been jigging around in my seat for most of this mix. Minus points for the bit roughly 35 seconds in which sounds like a Windows command sound. Very interesting stuff though. 7/10

Ali Farka Toure - Soumbou Ya Ya

I have this album and have cracked it out on a couple of Sunday mornings while basking in the glow of a Leicester victory the previous day. Obviously haven't listened to it very often. It is special music but it reminds me of some of the droning African nonsense that my Dad plays occasionally which makes me feel like a cretin. 7/10

Hot 8 Brass Band - Sexual Healing

Adventurous! I love the idea but I'm not sure it quite works for my ears. I started off with a 10 but the more I listen, it's starting to grate a bit. Would prefer to just listen to the original. 6/10

Youngblood Brass Band - Round One

I must confess I'm skipping a couple of these to go back to listen to the first few songs again. I'm such an impatient twat. This is great though. 8/10

Brothers In Sound - Lauryn Hill

I love this. I know nothing about it. 9/10

Lamb - Here

You can hear shades of Portishead in this, might just be the female voice/double bass combination. Not something I would usually choose to listen to but it's undeniably good music. 7/10

Ray Charles - Hallelujah I Love You So

Did you have the same problem as me in including a Ray Charles song? It has to be Mess Around for a compilation but Hot Chip got there before us. Bastards. This is fantastic though. Probably even better than the one I went for. Makes me want to go dancing. Do they have places in London where you can put a suit on and dance to music like this all night? Makes me yearn for the Leadmill. 10/10

Omnium - Extua Textua

I was concerned until the beat came in. How do you follow Ray Charles? This is brilliant though. Won't be to everyone's tastes but it is to mine. 10/10

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

I'm at a Rodrigo y Gabriela gig again. I can't really rate this out of 10 given the paucity of my achievements in life but I'm not a massive Pink Floyd fan. Just makes me think of RyG.

----------------

Often challenging and relentlessly fascinating. Would have paid £££ for this. Thank you. I spread myself too thinly with music, there is so much music out there which I would love if I had the time or inclination to go looking for it constantly. Some of the hip-hop stuff on here is fairly standard I am sure but have never got round to it.

Thanks for the rather complimentary review. If I knew anyone would like it then it was you, music love twin (*nod to Finners*). You didn't quite listen to it in order for some reason but it still seemed to "work" nevertheless.

Brothers in Sound are really very good although I always seem to be the only one that has actually heard of them. The album is called Family is for Sharing and I reckon you and most of the other regulars in this part of the forum will love it.

The weakest track probably IS that Inspector Gadget tune! I really wanted some Lee Perry on there and even though there are stronger tracks on the album I've got I just thought this tune was pretty funny. And as you say the original theme is superb.

Shame about Ratpack. One harking back to old school rave days. A classic of its era. Maybe it'll work for the others.

If you're looking for more Foreign Beggars then Asylum Speakers is their best album and also, in my opinion, one of the best hip hop albums for many years. Absolutely quality although apparently they are awful live!

Lastly I only discovered Hot 8 Brass Band at the weekend. They did a remix of Brown Paper Bag which is fantastic but I couldn't find it in time for this compilation so plumped for Sexual Healing. They also did What's my Name by Snoop Doggy Dogg...

Anyway cheers again. Glad you enjoyed it. Can't think of many more comments that I'd rather hear than "often challenging and relentlessly interesting" - that is what music is all about.

There's a fair few tracks here that I know and play regularly...I'm looking forward to this (but don't tell TPH's mix as I think it will get jealous, it took the break-up quite hard).

If I'd been Ike I would have punched out Tina as well. I'm nasty like Ike.

Love it, this will be played again. And again.

This is pathetic.

4. Lowkey - Lies

Is this the same track? What is it that some rap acts have to attempt to cover up a paucity of talent by trying to be offensive. This is as street as Vera ****ing Duckworth.

Now we are back on track. A smoooooooooooooooth track. There's no need to attack, or betray your brother Black, when you rap - dat message is out to you Lowkey and Beggars. Respec. Peace out.

It's no Dos gardenias para ti, pero a mi me gusto mucho. Un cancion del corazon mio.

I love Perry - but this is the dreadful meandering of a man that should have considered retiring before he became reggae's answer to Clive Dunn.

I hated this. I discovered they had worked with Definition of Sound. I listened to it again. I don't hate this. I'm a million miles from loving it though.

If I said I liked this then every person under the age of 28 should stop listening to music. I'll just say "Pah!" and go get my pipe and slippers and leave you young folk to enjoy yourselves. Don't forget to unplug the television before you go to bed.

At 0 minutes 0 seconds this was just the kind of track that would have improved Carl's collection :P

*door opens*

"Can you young folk turn down the gramophone player a bit please, Mrs Daggers has to get up early in the morning."

13. Burial - Endorphin

*door opens*

I like Burial lots.

*young people make excuses and leave*

14. Lamb - Here

Competent but annoying. Fortunately all of your young friends have gone home. All my friends are dead.

It picked up massively halfway through, great percussion.

Not in the mood for this. I'm not driving around Tokyo at night.

Hooooooooooorns! I love horns. And syncopated rhythm. And stock car racing.

But not dubious cover versions.

It's been said, the blind one is genius.

Not my cup of tea at all.

:wub:

God, I wish I were Roger Waters.

Now, change that damn avatar.

Cheers Daggers. Bit of a mixed bag for you then really.

For me hip hop has always been about the music as opposed to the lyrics. I don't really give a f**k what they are saying (apart from sometimes for my own amusement), I rarely bother listening and at times can't even make it out anyway. That's why I put Foreign Beggars and Lowkey in. The Beggars are absolutely superb in a production sense and I loved the quicker beat on the Lowkey tune.

Starting to regret the Lee Perry choice! I really enjoy Panic in Babylon, but as I said earlier I should've gone with one of the stronger tracks. That said can you recommend one of his earlier albums for my perusal?

Oh and yes you're quite right, you are not allowed to like Simian Mobile Disco or indeed Burial. Now put your slippers back on.

For me hip hop has always been about the music as opposed to the lyrics. I don't really give a f**k what they are saying (apart from sometimes for my own amusement), I rarely bother listening and at times can't even make it out anyway. That's why I put Foreign Beggars and Lowkey in. The Beggars are absolutely superb in a production sense and I loved the quicker beat on the Lowkey tune.

Starting to regret the Lee Perry choice! I really enjoy Panic in Babylon, but as I said earlier I should've gone with one of the stronger tracks. That said can you recommend one of his earlier albums for my perusal?

Oh and yes you're quite right, you are not allowed to like Simian Mobile Disco or indeed Burial. Now put your slippers back on.

JTB - Do you like Jurassic 5? Trying to get a feel for if much of this will be my bag...

Nice.

I've been looking forward to this one.

I thought JTB would pull out the big ones. There's some good tracks on there, but i really need to hear it before i give it a proper rating. Looks good though.

Like everyone else's really, i need to listen.

I'm worried about Daggers's review already.

JTB - Do you like Jurassic 5? Trying to get a feel for if much of this will be my bag...

When you hear the opener by Ike Turner your question will be answered!

Nice.

I've been looking forward to this one.

I thought JTB would pull out the big ones. There's some good tracks on there, but i really need to hear it before i give it a proper rating. Looks good though.

Like everyone else's really, i need to listen.

I'm worried about Daggers's review already.

Daggers doesn't f**k about. But then again he's a bit old so pinch of salt and all that... :ph34r:

Not loads of drum n bass on there MF, an all round mixed bag, but should be plenty to get your teeth stuck in to.

When you hear the opener by Ike Turner your question will be answered!

Daggers doesn't f**k about. But then again he's a bit old so pinch of salt and all that... :ph34r:

Not loads of drum n bass on there MF, an all round mixed bag, but should be plenty to get your teeth stuck in to.

Yeah I noticed the lack of D&B. >_<

But that's cool.

I'm going to post one proper full D&B actually mixed, and one with a different selection un-mixed. All my records are D&B.

But i said I'll do two, so I've already got half a selection done. Plenty of old and new D&B will feature, with hiphop, broken beats, a little soul and a couple of other bits should make a mix something worth burning onto a cd. Probably a lot music/artists quite a few wouldn't have heard. I guess that's aim, i've seen a lot on others mixes that i've never heard.

I'm going to wait and review Daggers mix last. So if he gives me a bad write up, I'll slag his mix off! lol

as a fan of The Upsetter I can recommend the album Arkology if you can find it

41WEQJ348PL._AA240_.jpg

it is available from Amazon but quite expensive but it's 3cds of some of the finest music ever produced by Lee Scratch Perry including Police and Thieves, War in a Babylon and so on

41WEQJ348PL._AA240_.jpg

it is available from Amazon but quite expensive but it's 3cds of some of the finest music ever produced by Lee Scratch Perry including Police and Thieves, War in a Babylon and so on

Excellent. Cheers Jay. I'll try alternaitve methods of sourcing it but in the end it is probably one that deserves to be bought!

In fact I just bought it for £16 off Amazon! Looking forward to that.

I enjoy this one as well

10918308_155_155.jpeg

once all this cd swap thing has died down a bit I will upload it and send you a link if you wish!!

41WEQJ348PL._AA240_.jpg

That is a brilliant album. If you like it then I would strongly recommend this:-

510Th5ZU6fL._SS500_.jpg

Its better than the Perry box set :whistle:

I listened to this last night. I had high hopes from JTB, and i was slightly let down if i'm honest. To be fair each track flows from one to another quite well. I kind of feel this may have been rushed? For example, tracks from the Burial and Fat Freddies drop album were weak compared to what was available to select. The D&B selection was off key, new Jump Up & old Breakbeat Era didn't work for me. But i think my favourite track was Simian Mobile Disco -Hustler.

6.5/10

I decided to download this and must say I was pleased I did.

Obviously the Roots track was quality. And I did like the Lowkey one as well. The Foreign Beggars and Breakbeat Era songs were intriguing and certainly something I'll look into getting more of.

The Brass Band was also top quality as well.

Some of it obviously wasn't for me. But I'm looking to expand the music I listen to, so this is a start.

Thanks for that James, 7/10.

I listened to this last night. I had high hopes from JTB, and i was slightly let down if i'm honest. To be fair each track flows from one to another quite well. I kind of feel this may have been rushed? For example, tracks from the Burial and Fat Freddies drop album were weak compared to what was available to select. The D&B selection was off key, new Jump Up & old Breakbeat Era didn't work for me. But i think my favourite track was Simian Mobile Disco -Hustler.

6.5/10

Fair play. I put Breakbeat Era because for me there is very little drum n bass that sounds like it and I wanted to show the differing styles of dnb available. It's a classic track for me, my favourite off the album. And the Renegade Hardware tune was there basically because I love the darker sound and wanted people to know that! It is also a heavyweight track when compared to some of the pop shit by Pendulum amongst others.

Burial was there as a filler to facilitate flow from the dark drum n bass to a more chilled sound. It worked well in my head! As for Fat Freddy that tune is my favourite off the album, guess we just plain differ on that.

I'm well up for doing another mix the next time this comes round so I'll go for a more uncomprimising selection next time with you in mind! Now, where's yours so I can rip that apart?!

I decided to download this and must say I was pleased I did.

Obviously the Roots track was quality. And I did like the Lowkey one as well. The Foreign Beggars and Breakbeat Era songs were intriguing and certainly something I'll look into getting more of.

The Brass Band was also top quality as well.

Some of it obviously wasn't for me. But I'm looking to expand the music I listen to, so this is a start.

Thanks for that James, 7/10.

Ched you really should get hold of Asylum Speakers by Foreign Beggars. I can guarantee you won't be disappointed. The Lowkey tune was taken from his album Key to the Game Vol. 2. Not the easiest to find though.

Archived