Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lookwhaticando

Google Chrome

The majority of my internet life revolves around google.

I am not convinced this browser will be a huge success, I for one will be sticking with firefox.

I would be interested to hear some reviews of it though so far.

I knew it wouldn't be long before they developed this, should we start a FT web browser?

ARGH WHAT A STUPID PHRASE! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

it would probably be less frustrating if it were complete, i believe it should be...

if it ain't broke, don't TRY to fix it

the literal logic being that if something is working fine, tinkering with it might cause damage...

rhetorically, suggesting, (appropriatly) that if something is working fine there is no need to try to change it...

having said that, in this case, the phrase doesn't even apply as firefox isn't being 'fixed'.

:beer:

it would probably be less frustrating if it were complete, i believe it should be...

the literal logic being that if something is working fine, tinkering with it might cause damage...

rhetorically, suggesting, (appropriatly) that if something is working fine there is no need to try to change it...

having said that, in this case, the phrase doesn't even apply as firefox isn't being 'fixed'.

:beer:

Alright, you got me there. Nice deduction. :appl:

(I was just teasing Kokopops a bit. ;) )

As for Google Chrome, here's some of the not-so-fancy things about the new browser:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1843

Chrome also sends all address data that you enter (through the "suggest" function) to Google directly - so much for privacy.

Same goes for typed-in URLS that don't exist (not so much of an issue, though)

Every installation of Chrome involves a serial number - allowing Google to track you down.

So, in essence, Google is trying to gain a monopoly on search engines, combined with a new browser.

And - most importantly - Google Chrome is NOT faster than Firefox.

I've downloaded it and it's crap.

It looks weird too.

Keep in mind, it's only in beta stages so it's bound to improve soon.

Gmail's initial beta looked plain as fook (hence making it weird next to the ever colourful Yahoo or Hotmail), it seemed to have no functionality other than being able to send and receive emails. It's come on quite some way since then.

So far I've used it briefly, and I quite like the appearance... the address bar in FireFox is what I always used for search anyway, so Chrome is just as handy in that respect. The tabs at the top are ace, it makes the actual window a little more open for actual content. Ace.

As for Alexei's complaint that it's not as quick as FireFox, in my experience, thus far, it is marginally quicker... it tends to think for a second and then splatter all the content on the page in pretty much one go... whereas FireFox tends to add images to the page bit by bit, so you may start to see the page sooner but Chrome finishes it sooner - again, this is all in my experience. :ph34r:

I'll continue using it, because I'm cool like that. I'm anticipating some compatibility issues at some point, so FireFox isn't going anywhere just yet. ;)

My only complaint so far is the fact my scroll pad on my laptop only works in the downward direction (very rapidly at that) and not upwards... so when I scroll down too far (quite regularly given the speed at which it moves in Chrome) I can't scroll back up unless I use the scroll bar or PgUp. Bum. :S

Anyone else notice this?

"By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the services and may be revoked for certain services as defined in the additional terms of those services."

Source:

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/08/09/03/0247205.shtml

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10030522-2.html

I don't know if that would circumvent Copyright laws, but I reckon if you used Chrome to post an article on a website, say the website on here which match reports are posted on, they'd basically own it. Am I right? Anyone any idea the extent to which that is effective?

EDIT: Read the article again, copyright wouldn't be breached, obviously. But if they wanted to they could display work you've done for promotional purposes and stuff.

Downloaded it.

Ran it.

Will now remove every trace of it from my system because it is pathetic. What the hell did they think they were doing rolling out a beta that looked so bad and had piss all functionality? Has everyone at Google gone on holiday.

Shite. No, that's wrong - shockingly shite. It's the kind of browser a Yr.2 Computing degree student could produce on a bad day.

Archived